It's Official: Justified Sets End Date, Season 6 Will Be Show's Swan Song

Get More: Cancellations

justified_ends_after_season_6FX’s top exec has made it official: Justified‘s sixth season will be its last.

The cabler’s CEO, John Landgraf, confirmed the news to reporters Tuesday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, adding that the decision was made by exec producer Graham Yost and leading man Timothy Olyphant.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

“They felt that the arc of the show and what they had to say would be served by six seasons instead of seven,” said Landgraf, “and I regretfully accepted their decision.”

Justified‘s Season 5 debut last week drew 2.84 million viewers, down 21 percent from the 3.6 million that tuned in for the Season 4 opener.

Tags: ,

Comments (56)

• :(:(:( …..Okay… :|

Comment by Wheelz (@Joey_C523) – January 14, 2014 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Part of the problem is that viewers got mad when FX would not sell the DVDs to the show until a year after the show was over. Another part is that they would complete a season in 7 or 8 episodes. Needs to be longer. This show is great. They could move Raylon to Nashville, or a larger city and continue.

Comment by Charles – February 17, 2014 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • FX never advertises it or shows reruns. How do you expect to keep people’s attention?

Comment by Chick – March 30, 2014 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, they may cancel it because they think it is over, but they will be disappointing a large viewer base.

Comment by chickcharles – March 30, 2014 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still would like to know the latest on the other Elomore Leonard project at USA.

Comment by Allen – January 14, 2014 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bittersweet. I don’t want it to end but if they feel it’s best than you just have to trust them. Also TVLine why do you have to refer to it as cancelled? It isn’t cancelled it’s ending.

Comment by d4h8a15r16m23a42 – January 14, 2014 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tend to agree, I don’t think it counts as cancelled when the star and exec producer tell the CEO that they only want to do 6 seasons, and the CEO “regretfully accepts” the decision.

Comment by Mike – January 14, 2014 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish they could do 60 seasons… I was looking forward to at least two more years of this stellar show.

Comment by Larry – February 14, 2014 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Concur. It’s an ending not a cancellation and I’ve really enjoyed episode considering it was based on a short story.

And I am guessing TV is time consuming for the likes of Timothy Olyphant (who as show producer and the star has decided to call time) and Walter Goggins who both have healthy work options in movies that they may have had to pass on due to commitments to the series.

Comment by Genghis The Great – March 21, 2014 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • too bad it’s one of my favorite shows as long as it goes out on top I guess. the better keep The Americans going because it’s the only other show I watch on FX.

Comment by James D – January 14, 2014 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, one of my absolute fav’s along with The Americans…Really hate to see it go..hope the “Power’s that be” find something as good the actor Timothy Olyphant can sink his teeth into..

Comment by Sandie Speake – March 8, 2014 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I get it but I am still sad. It’s one of my favorite shows with some of my favorite actors.

Comment by Eliza – January 14, 2014 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well i’m gutted
    but this means now we get the Gutterson, Art and Racheal spin off ” the sarcastic Marshals” right?

Comment by sarah – January 14, 2014 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • better to go out at the top of your game than to continue on and run it into the ground. nobody wants to see another dexter happen.

Comment by Alan – January 14, 2014 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree 100% percent! It was just disaster with Dex! Season 4 was the best and after that it was just…. ehhhh poor ending… Breaking bad and Justified rules! Greetings from Poland :)

Comment by Martin – February 4, 2014 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They felt that the arc of the show and what they had to say would be served by six seasons instead of seven,” said Landgraf, “and I regretfully accepted their decision.”

I can’t understand why, when it comes to show business, people feel the need to justify from a creative point of you their perfectly reasonable business decision. What’s wrong with saying “it wouldn’t be profitable past that”?

Anyway, sad to hear this but at least they’ll go into season six knowing it will be the last and plan accordingly. For example, a Tim centric episode (or six)

Comment by Simon – January 14, 2014 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it would be profitable though because the fx president clearly wants to keep it around, it is a creative decision to end the show.

Comment by Alan – January 14, 2014 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh sorry my bad, read that wrong. Thought that was the EP commenting on the exec decision! Silly me

Comment by Simon – January 14, 2014 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Don’t worry. I thought the same thing. Glad someone explained it to me.

Comment by lll – January 14, 2014 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate when shows I love end but I’d rather they go out on strong high notes than grind it into the dirt until you’re begging it to end (looking at you, The Closer!). So I’m sad to see Raylan ride off into the sunset… but I’ll be watching.

Comment by GildedRose – January 14, 2014 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Major Crimes is still a great show, IMHO. Not looking for it to end.

Comment by Pat D. – January 14, 2014 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man I will be lost without my Raylan… But I do understand it. I feel better that its their decision to end it (creatively speaking) instead of being forced to do so by the network. But yes, it’s bittersweet.

Comment by Francine – January 14, 2014 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Six seasons is a good run. But wow, so many of my shows have ended recently–The Office, Fringe, Damages, Enlightened, Breaking Bad, Treme–and a bunch will be ending soon–Boardwalk Empire, The Newsroom, Mad Men, probably Bones, and now Justified.

Comment by Alex – January 14, 2014 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please reconsider. I love Justified. The dialog is fantastic. The storylines r exciting..I look forward to every episode…

Comment by Tammi Keely – January 29, 2014 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree! This show has it all…excitement, mystery, action and humor! Not to many shows like that anymore. Hate to see it end.

Comment by Molly – March 21, 2014 02:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No more Boyd Crowder after next year? That is very sad news :( But, I agree that it’s better to go out when your still at the top of your game; the legacy of greatness will not be marred. Although I will still miss seeing Boyd Crowder, one of my all-time favorite characters on TV.

Comment by Tenney – January 14, 2014 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a little bummed about this because I love the show so much. :(

Comment by Carrie – January 14, 2014 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I AM ABSOLUTELY CRUSHED! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS SHOW! Justified has brilliantly written scripts and actors!! Totally bummed!

Comment by Sundayb2 – January 15, 2014 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree this is the best scripted and acted show on TV ..what’s left “the big band theory” come this is (Justified) good TV

Comment by Paul Tibbetts – January 20, 2014 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe there will be a spin off with Boyd!

Comment by Walter White – January 16, 2014 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Havent enjoyed a show this much since 24. Arrgh!

Comment by Kevin – January 16, 2014 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very bummed out the news that one of my favorite drama shows is going to be no more. Still will love the fact the creative team will make this show go off with an incredible high point. Hopefully they will give this show the proper send off it so richly deserves. Will be weird for the next season on Tuesdays on fx and no Justified, oh well guess that its in show business. Greatful for the great acting and show writing for the six seasons, and will enjoy this last season to the fullest.

Comment by Jaimeson – January 17, 2014 02:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comment by Joey Levin – January 29, 2014 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, it’s not really “cancelled.” That implies that the network axed it because of low ratings. Instead, it’s simply sending on its own accord as a creative decision by the producers. Sad, though. One of the only shows on cable that’s been worth watching.

Comment by Mikesommers – January 30, 2014 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well…… That sucks…… A show with a cast of characters that is interesting, fills all the voids for continuity, no buffoonery, no swearing, no screaming or yelling, jumping up and down like game show contestants and YOU THINK IT’S TIME TO PULL THE PLUG…….
    I suspect you are trying to capture a different audience than currently follows the show…

Comment by Dave Mendelsohn – February 9, 2014 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justified, what can I say ,a tv show that takes you to the heartland of this great country,will miss it , gun smoke 20 years , why not justified? Just saying

Comment by Glen – February 9, 2014 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very sad. Will miss this show so much. I enjoy it so much and it makes me smile.
    Thank you all! First HOUSE then JUSTIFIED. :(

Comment by Nancy – February 10, 2014 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just really sucks, Justified is the best show that’s been on tv in a long time, I’m really going to miss Raylon and the whole cast. It’s a shame.

Comment by Kathie Ong – February 12, 2014 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Damn why would anyone not like the show, its the only show I watch on TV. Selling the tv

Comment by DOUG LYON – February 19, 2014 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know why its down? Because everybody needs their fav characters to win sometimes…they had too much bad stuff happen in a row to boyd raylen and ava. It was a mistake taking away wynonna and the baby from the story too. Not to mention no villains will ever be as fun as the original family. Also it was better when ava and boyd both had a good side. Both are straight evil now.
    I would rather instead of surrendering they fixed everything and stuck it out til 7

Comment by Kelly – February 12, 2014 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It never fails when I really, really like a show it gets cancelled. I am so sick of it . Next it will be Walking Dead….

Comment by Jeanie – February 13, 2014 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My absolute all time favorite TV show going away… time to throw out the TV … Things are bad enough these days, but no more Raylan (Art, Rachael, Tim, Boyd, Ava) and the rest of the gang???……… that’s the last straw.

Comment by Larry – February 14, 2014 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Figures, i work all week and look forward to my show at 10:00pm, pay time warner cable monthly to enjoy shows like justified. I sat down to watch justified every tuesday like usual and comes to find out its been cancelled. Im pretty upset FX, ill probably never watch this channel again, ill just stick to amc and history channel. Thanks for nothing………..

Comment by William – February 18, 2014 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that’s a good idea to have Raylon move to Nashville or some other city….much wider net of criminals…great show..would hate to see it end.

Comment by Eddie – February 20, 2014 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really cant believe this ending !!! We finally had a show worth watching. Most on now are so stupid you cant get involved. Justified actually has you thinking and looking for its next move with multiple actors. We record n watch over again , it’s that GOOD !!! Lousy decision to cancel. Hopefully new show with same actors involved comes from this !!!!

Comment by Diana – February 24, 2014 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Definitely a show worth watching. I think viewers watch the show to see justice get done by someone who doesn’t let the bad guys walk all over him even if the law doesn’t always agree with his methods. The show has great subtle humor, too, that’s very well done by the whole cast at times, even the bad guys. Such a contrast with all the stupid reality shows, each one dumber than the last one. What will we watch now??

Comment by Cat – March 2, 2014 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have loved this show since the very first episode…”These surely are end times.” (Boyd Crowder) The cast is simply great, and I’ve never missed an episode. Too bad it has to end. It will always be one of my favorite programs.

Comment by LaylaOK – February 28, 2014 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had withdraws after finishing “Breaking Bad.”
    And now I have to cope with eventual loss of this great show :(

I love everything about this show including its theme song and the fat old sitting dog barking in the music video.

Comment by Dennis Shumaker – March 6, 2014 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just saw where Justified will be cancelled. The only show on TV worth watching; and you are cancelling it? Yost and Oliphant should reconsider. Don’t kill off too many main characters so bringing it back would not be impossible. Have watched every episode.
    I know of many people that have just started watching, and they are hooked on it now.
    Good thing I have the DVD’s.

Kudo’s to cast and crew.

GREAT SHOW………..Maybe follow what the show “24″ is doing…..returning to TV.

Comment by Gary Hill – March 11, 2014 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just wanted to say Thanks to the writers,cast, crew and everyone involved in the production of such a brilliant show. It will truly be missed

Comment by Keith langan – March 21, 2014 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched this show from the beginning. The chemistry between the characters is fantastic. Sad to see it come to an end!

Comment by Jessup – March 22, 2014 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is THE best show on TV currently. Amazing cast and writing. How about another cable channel taking it? Don’t mess with the format…other than lengthening the season. Really needs 13 weeks (or more) per season. And if the network would PROMOTE the darn thing maybe it would gain viewers. I have loaned seasons 1 & 2 to friends and they became fans instantly.

Comment by Gary Cummings – March 31, 2014 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is very unsettling .. This is the only show I watch .. I even own the same hat as raylan.. It’s safe to say I have an unhealthy obsession with this show.. Please hear a cry not to end this show yet.. The earlier comment about “gun smoke” couldn’t agree more.. I have every book justified is base from and there is easily another 3 seasons of material.. Such a shame

Comment by Allan – April 9, 2014 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • May I ask what books?

Comment by Email Nobody – April 11, 2014 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they wish to end it then go OK Corral. A big shootout at the end and everybody dies! Now that is the perfect gritty ending to it. Raylan should die if Olyphant doesn’t want to act on it anymore.

Comment by Email Nobody – April 11, 2014 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Timothy Olyphant going to have another TV series? Something really exciting I hope.

Comment by KAY RICHEY – April 15, 2014 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post