Exclusive: Bones Taps Soap Vet as New Squintern

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Ignacio Serricchio BonesThe Young and the RestlessIgnacio Serricchio is about whip Bones into a lather.

Fox’s resilient procedural has tapped the suds vet (he also played Diego on General Hospital from 2005 to 2008) to join the cast as the Jeffersonian’s newest squintern, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Bones Closing in on Renewal for 10th and Final Season

Serricchio will play a very prominent forensic anthropologist from Cuba who comes to the U.S. seeking asylum. “He has to work his way up to a position that he already occupied for many years,” EP Stephen Nathan previously revealed to TVLine of the recurring character, who will debut in the spring. “He feels that he’s Brennan’s equal, but Brennan really doesn’t feel the same.”

This isn’t Serricchio’s first brush with the Bones universe: The actor guest-starred in two episodes of the short-lived spin-off The Finder.

Comments (46)

• I like a great male specimen like all hot blooded female, but this is getting ridiculous. They have all these male interns and then Daisy. I’m sick of the sexism.

Comment by Barbie – January 14, 2014 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What sexism? This show has three very strong female characters in Temperance, Cam and Angela! Is a man the director of the Jeffersonian? No, it’s a woman! If all the male interns appeared together in every single episode, then maybe you would have a valid point.

Comment by Gwen – January 14, 2014 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • While I agree that Cam, Brennan and Angela are strong, independent women, I have to point out that Cam is not the director of the Jeffersonian. She only oversees the lab.
        Looking forward to this character going nose to nose with Brennan.

Comment by Lisa – January 14, 2014 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thanks, Lisa, for correcting my mistake about Cam being the director of the Jeffersonian. I must have misunderstood her when she told Bones last week, “I’m your boss.”

Comment by Gwen – January 14, 2014 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Gwen, Cam is the head of the Jeffersonian Institute’s Forensic Division, so she is Brennan’s Boss, but she still has to answer to the directors of the Jeffersonian (which we also saw last week when Cam was explaining to Booth she’d never get the expenses cleared with the ‘bosses’ for Brennan’s “Ghost Killer”)
            Cam and Brennan are always butting heads over who’s in charge, because Bones doesn’t think she should have to listen to anyone.

Comment by Kara – January 14, 2014 02:29 PM PDT
      • And in addition to those three we have the recurring character of Caroline Juilian, the Federal Prosecutor. All very intelligent and strong women. I don’t think this is a show that can be accused of sexism. In my opinion both genders are very well represented.

Comment by frankie707 – January 14, 2014 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If anything it is reverse sexism lol. Most of the males are interns they don’t hold a prominent position at the Jeffersonian. There are only 2 males that do that would be Booth and Sweets.

Comment by Sharle – January 14, 2014 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Aaaaand then someone has to cry reverse sexism. Do some readings, please. Reverse sexism, like reverse racism, is impossible because racism and sexism are both institutionalized forms of inequality. So as long as men and whites have the power in society, no one can be racist/sexist (or even “reverse”) toward them. There can however be prejudices, but prejudice is not necessarily racism. This is really basic stuff everyone should know.

Comment by b – January 14, 2014 02:37 PM PDT
    • Agree. For a show that takes pride in show casing female scientist….it absolutely sucks in showing how a female scientist gets to Brennan, Cam and Angela’s status…..ONE FEMALE intern in 6yrs is beyond pitiful….Sick to death of yet another male squintern….Change the record Bones writers

Comment by Anon – January 14, 2014 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • While I agree it’s disproportionate, I’m just glad that at least the males are from different walks of life.

Comment by b – January 14, 2014 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why do they change interns every week now ? As a matter of fact they had an a intern that died on an earlier show !! Did they forget

Comment by Linda Donahue – March 24, 2014 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with the point of sexism… mainly because I know a lot of physical anthropologists and most of them are female…

But now, I just don’t get the need of yet another intern, don’t they have enough of them already? They should give the good actors they already have some more screen time

Comment by MyTinyObsessions – January 14, 2014 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Booth hasn’t had a storyline since he got married. It’s a shameful way to treat the male lead of show….David was promised more storylines to encourage him resign for S9, so where the hell are they? The most he gets to do now is to make Brennan a different food in each end scene….the man must be bored to death. As an actor he deserves better than this.

Comment by Anon – January 14, 2014 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He’s not just an actor, he’s an executive producer and a regular director of the show. Don’t cry for David, if he wasn’t happy with his storyline there’s plenty he could do about it.

Comment by Aeol – January 14, 2014 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, they did say something might happen to Wendell and notably said “bring tissues”, so maybe that ‘something’ might require him to leave the show temporarily then come back at a later date.I don’t think they’d kill him off at this current point in time because it doesn’t feel like he’s been there long enough (or at least had enough screen time), but maybe they’d have him leave for a while(?). Anyway, that’s my guess on why they’d bring in another squintern :)

Comment by Roro – January 15, 2014 02:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • still, even if Wendall leaves, which I hope he doesn’t, because he’s one of my favorites, there’s no need to bring in another one… =/

Comment by MyTinyObsessions – January 15, 2014 03:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For Brennan, Cam, and Angela, you have Booth, Sweets and Hodgins. Then you have all the interns, in which every single one of them are male except Daisy. I’m tired of the “strong female character” crap. There are strong male characters but zero strong female interns. Daisy is pitiful. She has her moments yes but for the most part her character is just sad. Time for a new female intern that doesn’t make a fool of herself all the time.

Comment by Randi – January 14, 2014 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I would love to see new female interns. I have never liked Daisy. She has always annoyed me.

Comment by sharscreations – January 14, 2014 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Again with creating an intern ‘who thinks he’s Brennan’s equal, but Brennan doesn’t feel the same’? Didn’t they do that already with Oliver Wells? And Clark? And Daisy? We can’t just have a nice normal intern who comes in and just does his job without being some caricature or a foil for Brennan?

Comment by Bridget – January 15, 2014 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s really sad but apparently true that people have NO CLUE what sexism and racism are thanks to the mainstream media….I wonder what real intelligent women from the suffrage movement/etc. would say about all the morons claiming it’s sexism because they don’t like the fact that there aren’t more women on a TV show? My how people’s brains have shrunk…

It’s just never enough for you idiots is it? Bones is one of the most intelligent, powerful women to ever be portrayed on TV but you don’t like the fact that the interns that are barely a part of the story and rotate constantly are comprised of mostly males? Do you not understand how dumb and pointless that is? Not to mention an inanimate object can’t be sexist or racist in the first place, it makes no freaking sense. But I don’t know why I’m surprised anymore…

Comment by Weezy – January 14, 2014 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does this mean he’s done on the Young & the Restless?

Comment by Kellie – January 14, 2014 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good question. And if he’s not – why is he able to take a role on another show, but Y&R wouldn’t give Billy Miller some time off to work on other projects?

Comment by big cheddar – January 14, 2014 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • good gawd, another intern, there are so many characters on the show now, nobody can get a decent storyline or scene, the last thing we need is another intern, whether male or female, go back to the core actors, develop their stories more, I don’t care about a intern I’ll see maybe 3-4 times a year and yeah, I’m missing Booth too. Less lab and more FBI please.

Comment by Ali – January 14, 2014 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS! All the cries of sexism, but God good, do we need another squintern?

Comment by Josh – January 14, 2014 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ignacio! He was great on General Hospital. He’ll be a great addition to Bones.

Comment by GildedRose – January 14, 2014 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happened to Finn? Haven’t seen him in a long time. Did they write him off and I missed it?

Comment by Gwen – January 14, 2014 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Luke Kleintank who plays Finn is working on Pretty Little Liars now. I believe he’s a semi-regular this year so I don’t think we’ll see much of him.

Comment by Lisa – January 15, 2014 02:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why why why do we need another intern!?

Comment by MJO – January 14, 2014 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is exactly what I was going to ask. This show does not need anymore interns. I am a tremendous fan of this show and if next season is truly going to be the last, I would like to see all of the interns who are presently on this show and possibly past interns (ZACH) have their storylines wrapped up next year. We do not need anyone new to have to follow for the duration of this show.

Comment by Pat – January 14, 2014 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREE

Comment by Boiler – January 14, 2014 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still want the back story on Sweets and why he has all the scars on his back. That is a story I would be interested in hearing.

Comment by Bobbi – January 14, 2014 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We got that explanation back in season 4. He was abused by his biological parents before being taken away from them, placed in foster care, and ultimately being adopted by an older couple.

Comment by Paula – January 14, 2014 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why another intern? Bring back Zack! He was the best intern ever!

Comment by Reba Mastin – January 14, 2014 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay Cam is not anyones boss she just oversees the operations because she’s a forensic pathologist. As for Cams excessive I’m the boss is making me sick the writers need to give her another line PLEASE. If anyone remembers when Brennan left the Jeffersonian to go to the moloko Islands everyone left including Booth and Cams butt was out on her you know what so it goes to show who the real boss of the jeffersonian is.Need I say it everyone BRENNAN.

Comment by Lindsay D. Peterson – January 14, 2014 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree: more Booth, wrap up squintern stories, bring back Zach-at least once, give Sweets a love. I enjoy Bones SO much!!!

Comment by quiltlady0000 – January 14, 2014 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We do not need another intern. I love the show, but really, pick an intern and stick with them because they are tiresome after a while. The show really needs to get more focused back on the main characters.

Comment by cordelia – January 14, 2014 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to see a flashback episode into Booth’s past. An actual flashback not just remembering like in that one episode.

Comment by Sydnia – January 14, 2014 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show. I hope FOX poduces more episodes in season 9, not only 15!

Comment by Charlotte – January 14, 2014 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t get me wrong I love bones. But I called it as another X-files when they got the two of them together. I knew it wasn’t going to last much longer. “10th and final season”… another intern is just another way to keep viewers until the end of the season. Thanks Fox, another good one down while so many more crappy ones live on.

Comment by Michelle – January 14, 2014 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Again with creating an intern ‘who thinks he’s Brennan’s equal, but Brennan doesn’t feel the same’? Didn’t they do that already with Oliver Wells? And Clark? And Daisy? We can’t just have a nice normal intern who comes in and does his job without being some caricature or a foil for Brennan?

Comment by Bridget – January 15, 2014 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brennan believes she has no equals. She’s a consummate egotist. Her refusal to accept that HER child could have bitten another child speaks to her belief she is above all others. Can’t stand her, but I love the rest of the cast. IMO she’s the ants at the picnic.

Comment by Stormy – January 15, 2014 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • need some more depth to booth,s character/thought I saw an interview by david that said that the character would have some changes this season/after the marriage character appears rather bland and uneventful. season over soon maybe the writers not quite as motivated.

Comment by betty – January 16, 2014 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh yay another intern. lets get zach or finn i liked finn alot!!!!!!!

Comment by barbara – January 16, 2014 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love bones and think Brennan/Emily does wonderful job, I would like only one intern for every show, but a new intern interested in Brennan will be interesting to watch. Love the show and sooo glad for another season 10, hope Fox will change their minds and continue for additional seasons. The whole cast is fantastic and does great job
    LOVE THE SHOW

Comment by Ruth abb – January 17, 2014 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bones is becoming unwatchable,bones herself has gotten worse by the week,, she’s rude, bitchy,and needs a real smack in the behind, she is so full of herself, i’m glad this series is ending, if i acted like her at work i’d be fired,she use to be funny and quirky , now she’s just rude and full of herself.

Comment by michael griffith – January 24, 2014 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With over a million Cubans in the U.S. and among them many actors, why have an Argentinian play a Cuban???

Comment by Evita Peron – March 19, 2014 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post