HBO's The Newsroom Renewed for Third and Final Season

The NewsroomWill McAvoy & Co. are about to meet their last deadline.

HBO on Monday announced that it had officially renewed The Newsroom for a third and final season.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Star Jeff Daniels, who in 2013 won an Emmy for his portrayal of the cantankerous cable news personality, tweeted news of the drama’s renewal in September. But the network did not confirm at the time, saying in a statement: “We are excited about proceeding to a Season 3 and are continuing our conversations with [creator] Aaron [Sorkin] about schedules.”

Production on Season 3 is slated to begin this spring, with the ultimate batch of episodes premiering in the fall.

Got late-breaking thoughts about The Newsroom‘s renewal/cancellation? Sound off in the comments!

1. Nicotine says:

So soon? What happened?

• mauricesc says:

Sounds about right. I haven’t trusted them since they cancelled Deadwood!!

• Dennis says:

• Dennis says:

I meant to put
        “this was a good show but I couldn’t get past the overwhelming political propaganda to keep watching it”

• Brooke says:

Overwhelming political propaganda? It’s an Aaron Sorkin show. What political leanings were you EXPECTING it to have?

• I'll Second That says:

Exactly. And that’s what makes this show so great, regardless of your political affiliation.

• Chuck Finley says:

What? You must be a Democrat if you think completely misrepresenting Republicans on a tv show makes it great. Just FYI, Will’s character is what real Repbulicans would refer to as a RINO. If you don’t know what that is, look it up. Having your character repeatedly say he is a Republican and them act like a liberal Democrat is a bunch of crap. It was nothing more than an hour of propaganda about how Republicans need to bend and give in more to the left while bashing the Tea Party as some kind of right wing terrorist organization. The Tea Party is no worse than any Occupy Movement or Union in this country. In fact, they held all their rallies legally while Occupy did not have any permits and several protestors had weapons hidden in cars and elsewhere in case fighting broke out with the police.

• Joe says:

@chuck I’m against Occupy and am pro-choice. Occupy doesn’t represent the left like the KKK or the NRA don’t represent the right.

• RobD381 says:

Exactly. This was a fantastic series; why end it so soon?? Political pressure from the Right?

• Ella says:

I think there are a couple of factors… Emily Mortimer is launching her own show, Doll & Em on HBO. Jeff Daniels probably irked the network by playing God and jumping the gun as well but his Emmy win gave him and the show a little leverage so this is a compromise instead of just shutting it down. Plus, the show has not exactly been well received by critics, since the storylines are mediocre and the characters, especially the female ones, are neurotically and poorly written.

• ben says:

Or, you know, Aaron Sorkin just felt three seasons was enough.

• Matt says:

To be fair, there has only been a very, very small handful of shows that are well received by critics (at least when they first aired). The Newsroom, is (in my opinion) the smartest show on television today. I just can’t see why a great show like The Newsroom only gets three seasons, while crap like Jersey Shore and Bob’s Burgers gets (or in Jersey Shore’s case, got) season after season after season.

• Beverly says:

Matt you are so RIGHT. I love this show & personally know several people who feel the same way. I’m so tired of the stupidity of other television shows. Reality shows “dumb” viewers down to me. The Newsroom is smart & has quick dialogue…so you need to pay attention. Not something that puts you asleep. HBO is starting to annoy me with canceling good shows. If this happens, probably will drop HBO. Others are thinking the same.

2. What? are they crazy? Only 3 seasons? Why? :-(

3. rachie says:

WHY?!?!

4. Ray says:

I’m actually quite surprised it lasted this long.

5. WTactualF says:

HBO is on a role, first True Blood, then Boardwalk Empire, now Newsroom… Are they going to have any shows left after this year?

6. Kris B says:

Wow that sucks.

7. Ames says:

Well…Ok then. At least we know and they can wrap up all the storylines up.

8. trainwreck says:

Just happy at the propspect of having a third season with all the uncertainity looming aorund with it… Still think it’s one of the best things on TV right now! Stellar Cast, superb story and moving characterization..!

9. Teag says:

Final season? Unexpected. WHY are they ending so many shows this year?!

10. Kylie says:

This is devastating, it is such a great show! So witty, challenges people to think and yet can be hilarious at times, and heart breaking at others.

11. Lisa says:

Nooooooooo!

12. Drew says:

YESSSSS!!!!!

13. David4 says:

It’s the finale season because Sorkin wants out.

There was talk for a very very very very long time, several months, since before season 2, that the hold up for a third season wasn’t HBO but Sorkin himself. So this was probably agreed to by both parties.

• itsabeelife says:

I don’t understand how you can want out after only three seasons, he obviously isn’t that dedicated to the project and that is incredibly sad to the fans because this show is probably one of the only well written programs going to air right now.

Very sad news.

• Jared Munson says:

He has turned in his “Jobs” script. He likes to fully be involved with the projects he works on, look at the quality of “The West Wing” after he left. Still good, but not Sorkin good. I am sad this is happening, but at least its on his on accord.

• David4 says:

If you think it’s the only well written show you aren’t watching good TV.

I don’t know how you can be a fan of the show and not know Sorkin’s views. He is very busy with movies and the show makes him tired, so he’s moving on.

30 episodes is many more episodes than a lot of shows get.

14. Linda says:

One of my favorite shows. Very disappointed it won’t continue on.

15. MommaSqwirl says:

This is most likely how Sorkin wants it and not HBO pulling the plug. At least they know going into it. Though I wish they would do a few more episodes then.

16. Billie says:

I’m at least glad that this means that they can write the season knowing it will be the last and have all of the story lines wrapped up.
    But also Noooo! This makes me really sad. I honestly think this is the smartest show on television and I love it.

• Gwen says:

I agree. I don’t even care if some of the story lines are not wrapped up as long as the quality of the writing and the acting stays at the same high level as the first two seasons.

17. Ross says:

Well that is extremely depressing…. Particularly when shows that are way past their prime (ie. Bones, CSI, Grey’s Anatomy) keep continuously getting renewed. Where is the quality television?? This was a show that was very will made and really forced its audience to think. That’s rare and I am very sad to see it ending. At least there will be another season. :'(

18. Thea says:

Can it at least be 15 episode? 10 IS NOT ENOUGH. =(

19. Brendan says:

At least it’s getting a proper ending. I’ve had too many shows just end with a serious cliffhanger.

20. Michael says:

Sloan!!!!!!

21. Wendi S. says:

So, it’s like A&E, a network I’ll never watch again. The best show on TV, The Newsroom, is off after next season while junk stays on year after year. Aaron Sorkin is one of the best screenwriters around and this show his finest. There have only been 19 episodes on during the first two seasons. Is everyone running HBO just clueless? The Newsroom is so real and well-done that it could go on indefinitely.

• Superhero says:

It’s pretty clear that this is Sorkin’s decision, so I have no idea why you’re giving HBO crap for it. Also, there are dozens of shows that you’re not watching if you think The Newsroom is the best show on television.

22. Ben says:

Is this the first time that Aaron Sorkin gets to write a series finale knowing it’s going to be a series finale? I’m pretty intrigued to see what that is going to look like.

23. Tran 2.0 says:

HBO is losing it again. True Blood, Boardwalk Empire and now The Newsroom. Where does HBO go from here?

24. ggny says:

Not really Shocked. Sorkin really seemed not to care about the show. Gonna suck though to see such a great cast not working together anymore though

25. Miv says:

This is really sad, I only just got into this show recently and was really looking forward to season 3. Will be very bittersweet now, I was expecting another couple of seasons out of it at least. Don’t know whether this is the network or Sorkin, either way it’s disappointing though.

26. stevie says:

i miss the “west wing”.
    what a class show, great ensemble of actors AND likeable characters.

27. bobbie says:

I liked it. I look forward to season 3. I liked a show about the news and the way the news is presented, and the way it should be done. Well done. If it’s going to devolve into a relationship/soap opera I will be just as glad if it’s cancelled. Maybe Sorkin doesn’t have anything else to say.

28. Sheila Nichols says:

I am sad. I think this is one of the besr shows I have ever watched. Thoroughly have enjoyed each and every character. I will admit that this sesdon was very dark and hard to get into but once I saw Aaron’s interview explaining the reason behind it I understoid it better. I will always be in love with this show. Very few shows come along that have quality and unfortunately don’t last.

29. Tom says:

So we can expect that Sloan Sabbath spinoff any day now right?

30. LoriT says:

I am both happy that it is being renewed and sad that it will be the ladt season. I think it is the best written, acted and the most intelligent show on TV . Maybe not for everyone but definitely for me and many others who have become obsessed by it and can’t get enough of it

31. Seth says:

Sadly, Sorkin’s shows about a show never last. Sports Night barely got two seasons, Studio 60 didn’t even get that and it was an amazing show. At least we will get a proper ending to this series.

32. Kat says:

I honestly think HBO is making way for its next critical hit. It hasn’t really been a contender for the top drama prize in years. AMC has been showing them up for years on that front.

33. Quinn Mallory says:

Hey, this show has still last longer than his other TV effort in Studio 60 and Sports Night.

34. M says:

I want to both squeal and sob.

35. bill says:

The show could have been a lot better but never came togther

36. Ed says:

Since the happy ending came too soon in the end of season 2, this is not really a big surprise to me. Still, I feel sad to let it go. I can still recall the shock it gave me when I saw the first episode. We really need more films like this.

• Bill says:

I figured with the happy ending of Season 2, the show was either ending or someone was hedging their bet. And if Sorkin was mulling things over it was probably going to end. It’ll be interesting to see how the story picks up & progresses in a final Season 3.

37. Since says:

this is a sad day for everyone. I can only hope that Sorkin has another tv series on his mind.

38. Debbie says:

Aaron Sorkin is probably my favorite screenwriter and his best work to me was “The West Wing”, which I feel is the best TV drama ever so far. I can’t say the same for “The Newsroom” but for me mostly it was casting issues and also I felt the show was very unbalanced politically, which I didn’t feel at all with “The West Wing” even though it was about a Democrat Administration. I was so hopeful it would be a good series when I saw the speech in the pilot episode about America and how it isn’t #1 anymore. Absolutely brilliant speech that took my breath away! But I can’t say I’m all that surprised or unhappy it is going off the air. I just hope Aaron Sorkin finds another vehicle for his screenwriting soon because I will watch. I love his style, the fast paced dialogue, the intelligence of it, and especially the humor. You had to keep up and he never dumbed it down. But you also need a cast that can deliver and I don’t think this cast had the kind of magic as that of “The West Wing”.

39. Hallie Johnson says:

I am sorry to see this show end. It is terrific. My entire family is going to be sorry.

40. lhoward21034 says:

The Newsroom is a great show about true journalism ethics. Rightwingers aside (who looked bad because they looked bad (ie. off key) in any media representation, the need to source material, the fear/joy when a big story breaks was all there. I’m sorry Sorkin didn’t have the staying power – or was it just HBO’s llust for vampires and zoombies! Which means of course that the central theme of Newsroom – the thin rope the truth walks on was simply verified. I’ll miss it. Gwyn

41. sandy says:

Left, right or center….I felt The Newsroom is and was very entertaining. So of course it would be cancelled.I had been checking to see when the new season was going to begin again…sad

42. Pennie says:

I just discovered this show. I didn’t have HBO before and probably would’ve ordered it before. I LOVE this show!!!! I sincerely wish that there was at least one place we could get the truth from. Mistakes happen but the deep seated intent to only report the truth is the reason I love this show! I’m in central Florida and heard the butchered 911 tapes hundreds of times even AFTER they were proven edited. Thanks for getting that important piece of info correct.

43. Lenora says:

very disappointed that this will be final season, was enjoying the show and the charecters. always enjoyed the various scandels. hope they reconsider and keep going with more shows.