Pilot News: NBC Orders DC Comics' Constantine and Mysteries of Laura Procedural

NBC Pilot ConstantineNBC has officially ordered to pilot Constantine, an adaptation of DC Comics’ Hellblazer graphic novels to be produced by Warner Bros. Television, and a procedural about a female homicide detective.

RELATED | NBC Orders Twins Pilot By Casey Wilson, Online Dating Project from Rashida Jones

Written by Daniel Cerone (Dexter), who will exec-produce with David Goyer (Batman Begins), Constantine follows “master of the occult” John Constantine as he struggles with his faith and is haunted by the sins of his past, then is suddenly thrust into the role of defending humanity from the gathering forces of darkness. Oh, so that’s all.

RELATED | Pilot News: NBC Orders Relationship Comedy From Happy Endings Creator

Mysteries of Laura, meanwhile, is described as a procedural about a quirky female homicide detective who juggles high-stakes crimes with a pesky ex-husband and a devilish set of twin sons. Jeff Rake will pen this one and exec-produce alongside Greg Berlanti (Brothers & Sisters), Melissa Berman and Aaron Kaplan.

1. RobMF says:

I’m a huge fan of Constantine. I loved the movie, wish they’d of continued that but I’m all for a TV series. I just hope NBC doesn’t screw it up and gives them a decent budget.

2. Steve says:

I’m all in on Constantine.

3. Esaul says:

Not surprised they’re doing a comic book show either. Sigh.

4. But will he stay British, or will they make him American again?

5. Dan says:

NBC is a terrible home for the show. I really like the idea of a Constatine TV show, but NBC takes away all excitement.

6. Ally Oop says:

Neither one interests me.

7. shunda1177 says:

NO!! Not NBC! It should be HBO or Showtime. I’ll give it a shot but will not get my hopes up….

8. grace2552 says:

Yeah, that’s cool. Who needs Wonder Woman when we can have an entire network television show devoted to f—ing Constantine…

(I’m not bitter! You’re bitter!)

9. Omar says:

Mysteries of Laura is originally from Spain. (Los Misterios de Laura)

10. Cory says:

I really, really feel the best logical choice for a Constantine series, among the broadcast networks, anyway, would be FOX. CBS would look at it like it was an alien life form and let it die within weeks of premiering, ABC does not know how to properly market anything that’s not super soapy (I love ABC but their promotional department needs to be fired), CW is barely a broadcast network, and NBC is a good choice only because they’re in such bad shape and they’d probably give something this expensive a Voice lead-in. But FOX, even when run by less competent executives has always had had the type of shows something like Constantine would fit in with… but. Oh well.

Anyway, hopefully, NBC will pick it up to series and somehow magically know how to do right by it.

The Mysteries of Laura sounds somewhat intriguing, although I’d want a trailer, not sure if I’d watch it though.

11. netros says:

Good news for DC comics and comic fans.

Agents of shield has been a disappointment, we need better comic shows. Arrowis so Cw but fun

12. DavidSask says:

NBC will surely kill the comic book show just for being on the network

13. JSG5 says:

I’m excited for Constantine as I really enjoyed the movie, but I also recognize that it’s going to be on NBC which means no one is going to bother watching it which means it’s cancelled after one season and I’m already disappointed knowing that’s the most likely outcome from this. It’s too bad considering the show already has a nice amount of material to work with as is.

The Blacklist is the only show on NBC that is still making an impact, but time will tell if that’s because The Voice is the lead-in, or is it really standing tall on it’s own? Either way, shows need The Voice to survive(just look at Revolution. Great show, but died without The Voice)

14. Jon says:

No, just no…..Constantine *struggles with his faith” sounds like that abomination of a movie all over again rather than the true John Constantine from the Hellblazer comic books. The true Constantine is a humanist that dislikes any form of supernatural being or deity messing with humanity and absolutely not Catholic like the movie made him.

Ugh. Pass on this one and hope it tanks in the ratings and disappears quickly.

• Geo says:

Amen.

Also, let’s predict now how NBC totally miscasts the role of Constantine. Chace Crawford? David Caruso? Carrie Underwood?

• Jon says:

Oh, the horrors……David Caruso and his sunglasses as Constantine. Chance Crawford? Yeah, they’ll probably not even bother to dye his hair blonde.

Also, what about the smoking? Isn’t there a ban on ‘hero’ characters smoking on network shows?

15. Eli says:

Wow, another procedural with a “quirky” lead. Who could’ve seen that coming…

16. Alan says:

sack david goyer and i might show some interest, i dont understand how that hack keeps getting work.

17. Rebecca says:

This would make a good pairing on FOX instead…. And pair it with Sleepy Hollow. That’d be a great team up of shows. Both supernatural type shows…. I’m just saying.

18. Dunk Johnson says:

Constantine is one of my fav.. I love to be here . it is really nice….. thank you so much for it .

19. I needed to thank you for this good read!! I absolutely loved
    every bit of it. I have you book marked to look at new things you post…