Glee Headed 'Exclusively' to NYC — But Not Without Jane Lynch, Says Fox Boss

Glee exclusively NYCGlee‘s split personality is coming to an end.

The musical dramedy “will go to New York exclusively for the second half” of Season 5, Fox chief Kevin Reilly told reporters at the Television Critics Association winter press tour. And that means the show will be saying goodbye to some of its Lima, Ohio residents.

PHOTOS | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 31 Returning Favorites

“Creatively, it would ridiculous if everybody moves to New York,” said Reilly, when asked how creator Ryan Murphy’s plan for Glee‘s endgame will effect “newbie” members of the New Directions show choir. “This season, there’s going to be a graduation [from Lima's William McKinley High]. Several of the cast members will move on, and a few others will go to New York.”

Fans of Jane Lynch and her Emmy-nominated turn as vicious cheerleading coach Sue Sylvester need not fret about her future in Glee’s new (York) world order: “As long as there’s a show, there’s Jane,” Reilly promised.

What’s more, he added, even the characters who don’t move to NYC “will arc back in when we do special episodes. They’ll always be a part of it. The way it’s going to dovetail next season, we’re going to see some familiar faces coming around in some capacity.”

Ultimately, though, Murphy has already sold the network on an arc that will carry Glee all the way through the end of Season 6 — and the show’s series finale. “We do have [the show] through next season and that will be the final season,” said Reilly. “[Ryan's] got some fantastic ideas on what we’re going to next year for the final year.”

Comments (206)

• IT WAS ABOUT TIME!

Comment by Lauren – January 13, 2014 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m actually upset about this development. Since the beggining of season 4, the NY side-storyline felt off. Whatever. Nobody watches Glee anymore.

Comment by Taken – January 13, 2014 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @Taken, I thought I was the only one who felt odd about NY. It’s better this year, but not seizing all this potential that the location offers. And yeah, no one watches live anymore, but they still get watched later on DVR.

Comment by Elvis – January 13, 2014 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nobody watches Glee anymore because of S4 and the Blee.Newbie take over. NY got less than 30% of the screen time last season with some episodes no NY period and fans left if droves. I do think this is a dumb move but mainly because it’s too little too late. Glee lost it’s fan base and nothing they do will bring it back. They should have never spent an entire season on the Newbies and Blam. Again too little too late.

Comment by Jess – January 13, 2014 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No, S2 killed the cat. Choppiest season of television I have ever seen.

Comment by b – January 13, 2014 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • In other words, “I don’t like Blake, so nobody liked him!” Logical.

Comment by soundscene – January 14, 2014 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Obviously I meant Blaine. I dropped caffeine from my diet.

Comment by soundscene – January 14, 2014 08:00 AM PDT
          • I agree with you. But, I really liked Blaine season 2. Not too little or too much of him. Sam was a nice addition also in season 2. Now, he is a clown. I don’t care for either of them. I do NOT want them to be in New York. That will ruin NY. Season 4 just ruined Glee IMO. I have watched a handful of eps since season 3. I don’t know if i am really excited about this. Being New York will be the center focus the second half of this season. I will believe it when it happens. TBH, I have lost interest in Glee since season 4 uninteresting circus stuff was on. And now that Finn is gone. Glee is going to have to make a 100 degree change in its content for me to return. It may be great for others, just not my thing.

Comment by Mena – January 14, 2014 01:53 PM PDT
      • TV shows set around high schools usually go one of three ways: Either say goodbye to many of the cast members when their students graduate (BOSTON PUBLIC, FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS) or stick with a core group of characters and leave the high school behind (DAWSON’S CREEK, 90210, ONE TREE HILL).

GLEE came to that fork in the road and took it — they tried to do both. And it was a mistake, as evidenced by the increasingly preposterous tendency of everyone to show back up in Ohio at the drop of a hat despite being in New York or California or wherever.

I’m more interested in Marley, Unique, and company back in Lima than I am in the New York crew at this point. But I can understand wanting to stick with the ones who were there first.

Comment by Jason Thundermonkey Tippitt – January 14, 2014 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m with you in this one.

Comment by Taken – January 14, 2014 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Wow thank you, someone who agrees with me. I think Marley is amazingly talented and she is being thrown under the bus so they can focus more and more on Kurt and Rachel. They went to New York to go to NYADA, I am wondering how they fit it all in though. They are working and they have Kurts bands. Rachel has Funny Girl.
          I am not please they will ignore all the fab talent they have in the new directions to once again focus on the older people.

Comment by Katie Pike – February 3, 2014 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by fez – March 13, 2014 01:21 PM PDT
          • Wthhhh.. I was eagerly waiting for marley rose’s story to begin i thought after the old cast will graduate marley will get the lime light but duhhhh hate you gleeeeeeeeee and i hateee rachel and kurt’s storyyy… They did the same with Quinn.. I loved her so muchhhhh

Comment by fez – March 13, 2014 01:21 PM PDT
      • You’re right, nobody watched Glee anymore…except for over 4 Million people each week. As for the NY 100%, I’m fine with that the high school stuff has been the most boring (Marley aside). Also, I DON’T want Sue in NY she hasn’t been any good since season 3

Comment by Jason – January 16, 2014 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think the High School arc felt off. Like waaaaaaay off.

Comment by Aladdin – February 3, 2014 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! Its about time although there are a couple of the Lima cast i will miss. So is Sue going to move her crusade to New York now? Mind you as much as i love Jane Lynch her character has become downright pathetic now. Its gone on too much. At least we will get closure at the end of next season. They have an end game and i always like shows which do instead of leaving it in limbo. Looking forward to the 2nd half of season 5.

Comment by greysfan – January 13, 2014 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huh, there just might be some hope left for Glee.

Comment by adreyesatl – January 13, 2014 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Artie stays in! He has the best voice in the show.

Comment by Kiki – January 13, 2014 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kevin’s sister retweeted one of these articles and I don’t think she would if he was fired.

Comment by Brian – January 13, 2014 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Personally, I hope we’ve seen the last of Artie and (especially) Tina. Keep the focus on Rachel, Kurt, Santana and Blaine. Hope to see more of Adam Lambert and Demi, but don’t know if there’s a plan for a longer arc or series regular/recurring for them.

Comment by TW – January 13, 2014 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, and Sam. I like Sam. And the whole male model thing makes sense for him….

Comment by TW – January 13, 2014 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lol Blaine over Artie? Next. They both suck but at least Kevin can sing.

Comment by Sam – January 13, 2014 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • pls

Comment by beth – January 13, 2014 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agree!!! Blaine irritates the heck out of me.

Comment by Tom – January 13, 2014 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Darren Criss is the only one to actually sing whole songs live on the show–twice. And he did it well. I’ll never understand the vocal minority who seem to spend all their time hating on Blaine.

Comment by soundscene – January 14, 2014 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • So, that doesn’t mean he is worth the screen time or songs he gets. His range in both singing and acting are limited.

Comment by booblam – January 14, 2014 07:07 PM PDT
          • But quite gorgeous actually.

Comment by justmyopinion – January 19, 2014 09:30 AM PDT
      • Are you even a fan of the show?

Comment by joncuriel – January 13, 2014 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sad that Will won’t follow :\

Comment by Esaul – January 13, 2014 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hope he stays. He’s one HOT teacher. Have you seen his body? Smockin’ hoooot

Comment by nico – January 13, 2014 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He can dance too! I rewatched the Singing in the Rain songs recently and he’s really good.

Comment by Elvis – January 13, 2014 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jane Lynch’s Emmy NOMINATED run? She didnt win the first season? I could swear she did.

Comment by Mark – January 13, 2014 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s been nominated more times than she won, but she did win an Emmy and a Golden Globe. So it should really say “award winning actress”, instead of nominated. But either way, as much as I think Sue has her moments, I don’t think she is entirely necessary on this new reboot of the reboot of the original show. I think her best seasons were the first 2 and since she has been a shell of herself. But, maybe in a new place it can reignite some stuff. I guess we’ll see.

Comment by Stacie – January 13, 2014 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yaay. About time! I hope this saves it from being barely watchable.

Comment by Sam – January 13, 2014 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cue the time-honored television tradition of shoehorning a popular character into a location move when there’s no narrative logical reason for that person to be moving.

Comment by Playhouse – January 13, 2014 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS

Comment by TL – January 13, 2014 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sue will be like Mr. Feeny at college.

Comment by Elvis – January 13, 2014 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ahaha, I love this post :D. So true.

Comment by Angela – January 13, 2014 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sue will show up a few times a season she won’t be in NY the whole time. Sue has never been in every episode and frankly she isn’t missed when she is gone.

Comment by fr – January 14, 2014 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um…if you’re still watching Glee, you’ve learned how to suspend your disbelief…and gag reflex.

Comment by Michael Angelo – January 15, 2014 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sorry but Sue is one of the main reasons I didn’t watch as faithfully. All the “stuff” she did wasn’t funny, it was annoying and sad. I thought NY might have a chance but Mr Schu should have gone before Sue. I can’t stomach the thought of seeing her in NY, terrorizing more people.

Comment by Jamey – January 16, 2014 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as they never do the Chipmunks again…

Comment by Ross – January 13, 2014 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too little, too late. Focus on NY would have been great before the idiot twins Blaine and Sam made their way over.

Comment by Stefani – January 13, 2014 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WAY too little too late! They should have done this last season and included Cory, instead they WASTED a full season on Newbies no one cares about and the Idiot Twins. Such a damn shame and I for one will not watch if they do the Samchel route! Chord can announce he’s replacing Cory all he wants, he is NO Cory!

Comment by Erica – January 13, 2014 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You do realize Chord never said he was replacing Cory or that Sam was getting whatever storyline was intended for Finn had Cory not died. What he said on the Ellen show was that Cory was the down to Earth big brother type of guy behind the scenes who tried to be helpful and be there for everyone, and that Chord wanted to step up and be that type of person. He was honoring his friend’s memory, NOT saying he was replacing Cory.

Comment by Chris – January 13, 2014 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No idea what the Ellen talk is about but I’m in the hate Sam camp. Ever since the Rachel flirtation 3 eps after Fin died I can’t stand the sight of Chord. Knowing he’s going to NY means my last episode watching Glee is 510.

Comment by Bee – January 13, 2014 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • The people who say that Chord is running around saying he’s replacing Cory are using something he said on The Ellen Show out of context. He said he wanted to step up and be the kind of friend Cory was to everyone, and the majority of the people who hate Chord/Sam run with it as him saying he’s making it his mission to replace Cory/Finn. I HATE Blaine, but I liked Movin’ Out, it was the first time I enjoyed anything NYC related since before they forced Santana into the NYC crew.

Comment by Chris – January 13, 2014 06:22 PM PDT
          • I don’t care what Chord’s intent of his words were. I cannot stand what his character has become. I don’t care for Blaine and their Blam. I’m not looking forward to those 2 going to NY. They became my least favorite. As of now, Glee has lost its star power and its have to watch since the end of season 3. It seems the fanbase feels that way too. I watch so seldom anymore.

I hope with all the guests stars returning, Dianna, Heather, Chace, I hope the writing will be worthy of all of their characters returns.

Comment by Mena – January 14, 2014 02:32 PM PDT
      • I will not watch if they choose idiot Twins over Original member Tina

Comment by joncuriel – January 13, 2014 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They needed Lima in play partially due to Finn. He had to be in Lima to find his direction, which was going to be teaching. Also, I think some might’ve been upset to just ‘drop’ Tina, Artie, Blaine, Sam and Brittany. I suspect they were hoping the newbies would catch on and continue Glee while the old cast would be spun off. However, since the new cast didn’t really have the right chemistry, people want to ignore last season.

Comment by AngieD – January 14, 2014 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This.
      Personally I think I could deal with Blaine, even though I don’t like him, as long as he doesn’t turn NYC into Blee 2.0, but Sam… no sorry, I really can’t. Hell, I’d take Stoner Brett over him in a hearbeat.
      NYC edits were the only parts I’ve been watching for the past months, but now with Blam headed there I’ll have to give up on the show altogether. NYC Glee (or spin off, whatever) should have happened waaay sooner and its cast should have been the current trio + Artie, Quinn, Mercedes, Brittany and maybe even Puck, Tina and why not Karofsky in whatever capacity. Basically, the originals. You know, the cast that made the show’s success in the first place… (minus Finn, RIP :/)
      Oh well , Glee has been FUBAR for a long time anyway.

Comment by Olivia – January 13, 2014 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @Olivia, If Karofsky is an “original”, then that round faced Warbler is too. Why cut out Mike too? I do agree that the show isn’t what it used to be. And I hope you enjoy your next favorite series.

Comment by Elvis – January 13, 2014 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Karofsky first appeared in 1×08. Try again.

Comment by Olivia – January 13, 2014 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • So he isn’t a oringal either.

Comment by fr – January 14, 2014 07:11 PM PDT
          • He is a character from S1, appeared in the front 13. So he’s an original character. Otherwise by your standards, neither is Brittany since she wasn’t in the pilot, and Santana because she only appeared as an extra and wasn’t intended to be more than eye candy. Lol, good look if you want to argue with that.

Comment by Cam – January 15, 2014 11:26 PM PDT
          • I meant luck, not look obviously. Friggin’ autocorrect.

Comment by Cam – January 15, 2014 11:28 PM PDT
      • Yeah… it’s so believable to take ALL of the original mambers and shipped them off to New York.

Comment by Amelie – January 25, 2014 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blaine,Artie,Sam should live together in NY. Brittany can return to the show but recurring next year. Focus the show on Rachel,Kurt and Santana full time with the rest being supporting characters. Also i would like to see Puck pop up once in awhile

Comment by ggny – January 13, 2014 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • blaine and kurt are engaged of course they’ll live together

Comment by pedro – January 13, 2014 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @pedro, FOX wouldn’t like that since it’s too gay. Engaged couples never live together, of course!

Comment by Elvis – January 13, 2014 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This is Fox, not the “news” devision. They will have a big fat gay wedding by the end of the show.

Like it or not a third of the population can get married no matter what sex organs they have.

Comment by David4 – January 13, 2014 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I doubt they will. I hope they don;t Rachel, Kurt and Santana don’t need the taint of Balm in the loft.

Comment by LM – January 14, 2014 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Neither does the show in the first place lol.

Comment by Cam – January 15, 2014 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Tainted loft? please give me a break.

Comment by xD – January 19, 2014 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Lol. the resurgence of the Sacred Loft.

Comment by ridicule – January 19, 2014 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • santana rachel kurt and blaine in new york can’t wait.

Comment by james – January 13, 2014 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So it wouldn’t make sense to just suddenly move all the kids to NYC, but Jane Lynch showing up in New York is totally makes sense?

Its like two steps forward, one step back with this show. Let go of Jane Lynch. I get that she was popular, but I highly doubt that’s the case now. If anything, her suddenly moving to New York will just drag the show. Let her go, the fans won’t care. If you’re going to pull a creative shift with the show, at least fully commit to it.

Comment by Joey – January 13, 2014 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gotta admit, I like the newbies, i’m gonna miss seeing Blake Jenner and Becca Tobin on my screen, but let’s hope we’ll get some good NY storylines too :) especially looking forward to the Sam one, Chord Overstreet is definitely my favorite :)

Comment by Liz – January 13, 2014 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like the new kids too. Melissa and Alex have great voices and Jacob can dance. I hope they can get other parts if the show lets them go.

Comment by Elvis – January 13, 2014 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe I’ll start watching again…stopped watching it on Thursdays, thought I’d watch it “later” never got around to it & when I did, I fast forwarded through the Ohio parts

Comment by Jill – January 13, 2014 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i just care about blaine and artie in nyc idc about tina or sam

Comment by beth – January 13, 2014 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great. So they finally have the sense to move the show on with the originals, but they’re now just going to end up wasting the last half of this season on Blee/Blam in NY. *face palms*

I wish they’d get rid of Sam, he’s useless, and at least reduce Blaine back to a more tolerable degree so he’s not so overexposed. Go a couple episodes at time without him and give people a chance to miss him, jeez. And I only suggest that because I know there ain’t a chance in hell they’d ever get rid of him.

And lastly, if they could bring back Mercedes and Quinn, they’d likely have a hit again.

Comment by Ian – January 13, 2014 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • your life must be really sad

Comment by aline – January 13, 2014 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, if it weren’t for his abs Chord would be going the way of the equally useless Newbies! I can deal with Blaine but Blam is intolerable and will be even worse they pair Sam with Rachel. Seriously, can they PLEASE get Lea a leading man that can keep up with her? Maybe keep Adam Lambert around as her main male screen partner?

Comment by Dane – January 13, 2014 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They will never have a hit again and Quinn please that is as bad as Sam/Blaine in acting/singing talent.

Comment by QF is overrated – January 14, 2014 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should have axed Jane Lynch two seasons ago. Her character has just got more and more ridiculous,and keeping her hanging in there is just prolonging the agony.It must be in her contract that she sees it out to the end. Fine for her-for the audience? not so great.

Comment by RD – January 13, 2014 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blaine in New York means that I will actually watch Glee again.

Comment by Caitie – January 13, 2014 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he was supposed to be in nyc since season 3 but RIB is too stupid so they turned him on a junior lol

Comment by aline – January 13, 2014 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They probably kept Blaine in Ohio because he was popular (despite what some people on here think) and they needed enough of the old cast to balance out all the newbies.

Comment by soundscene – January 14, 2014 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Who said he isn’t popular we all just wonder why he is, since his character is a whiny attention hog who is played but a limited actor/singer.

Comment by but why? – January 14, 2014 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad Sam’s staying. The dude’s awesome, but less Blam, please.

Comment by Matt – January 13, 2014 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This would be exciting news if it weren’t for the fact that Blam aka Dumb and the Blond Dumber will probably take over the NY narrative they way they did Lima. NY was so good because of the Rachel, Kurt, Santana dynamic. That will be over once Blam shows up.
    As for the Newbies…they did nothing for Glee so won’t be sorry to see them go!

Comment by Tom – January 13, 2014 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know. There’s definitely something special and perfect about just Rachel, Kurt, and Santana in that loft together that’ll just be ruined once they move Blam in :(

*sigh*

Comment by Ian – January 13, 2014 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is about freaking time the let go of Lima because I am tired of the new cast members on my screen I just want to see only the New York side only for so long now and this is the best news ever to my ears! BYE BYE LIMA!

Comment by Adam – January 13, 2014 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This may be one of the worst changes for a TV series I have ever heard. Ryan Murphy loves having his shows run head first into a brick wall.

Comment by RobMF – January 13, 2014 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • running head first into the brick wall stated with the Newbies casting and someone getting the ideal Darren and Chord were the shows leads.

Comment by TJ – January 13, 2014 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I watched Glee too, and this narrative about Sam and Blaine being the lead characters in the show perplexes me. They were given about as much time as they ever were, especially since half the dang show was in NYC so their storylines were only a fraction of 1/2 of the show. You had the newbies taking up a lot of that time.

Comment by soundscene – January 14, 2014 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Slowing down time so that mid February-early June lasts for over a year is the worst change for a TV series.

Comment by Elvis – January 13, 2014 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Chord :)

Comment by Rose – January 13, 2014 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think that it will all be about blaine when he moves to new york i believe the reason its all about blaine in ohio is because its his songs that sell the best but when he moves to new york santana & rachel will still get there songs it will be like season 2/3 again

Comment by max – January 13, 2014 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess is that Lima partially stayed in the picture as part of the long term vision of Rachel returning home to Finn, a teacher at McKinley. Since Cory’s gone, that avenue is closed and there’s no significant reason to keep the Lima storyline going.

Of the newer cast members, I actually enjoyed Jacob Artiste the most – he can sing and dance. I thought he gave up Juilliard IRL to accept the Glee job.

Last season, Tina said she wanted to be an entertainer and tryout for NYADA. While I don’t think Tina would get in on the 1st try, they could certainly have her make guest appearances for repeat auditions.

Artie is going to film school in Brooklyn , already established. Sam and Blaine are likely New Yorker’s, although I really don’t want Glee to become the Blaine show and I can only take Sam in small doses.

‘Mike Chang’ can certainly make guest appearances by auditioning for dance roles on Broadway. Quinn and Brittany are only a train ride away from NYC. We don’t know where Puck is, which means he can turn up too Not hard to transplant Mercedes.

Comment by ANgieD – January 13, 2014 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish they wouldn’t bring a lot of the cast to NY, it’s crowded as it is. I definitely believe the show could work with just Rachel, Kurt and Santana and even Jane Lynch as Sue. That’s all they need in the principle cast. No Sam, no Blaine or Artie.

Comment by Kaycee – January 13, 2014 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, I wish they’d keep only Rachel, Santana and Kurt, and maybe if they want to have Mercedes move there too and that’s it. Focus the stories around them. Revamp the cast and add only new NYC characters. Expand the NYADA storyline and have Rachel and Kurt with other people rather than just each other all the time. Occasionally they can have older characters like Quinn, Puck, Schue, Sue, and/or Shelby, Cassandra July, or Madame Tibideauz drop by here and there where needed.
      There is no more need to include Sam, Tina, Artie, Newbies, or even Blaine (they should bring him just to wrap up this stupid engagement storyline and have both characters move on) after the graduation episode. Sadly this likely won’t entirely happen.

Comment by abz – January 13, 2014 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • of course blaine is moving to new york his finance is there it has been talked about blaine moving since the last episode of season two. he has been planed to go as long as rachel and kurt.

Comment by kevinjohn – January 13, 2014 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, Glee was about a teacher who wanted to go back and inspire students like he was inspired. Lately all Mr. Shue gets to do is write a word on the board in the choir room. I fast-forward through all the NYC scenes. If they leave Ohio then it’s not Glee. You can’t be Glee if you don’t even have a glee club. And they’re taking the worst part of WMHS, Sue. I’m done.

Comment by K Witz – January 13, 2014 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They can’t stay in a choir room in Ohio forever. There are only so many stories to be told in High School. This move is exactly what’s needed – a more grown up theme for the characters.

Comment by Jen – January 13, 2014 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually they can. High schools do tend to compete in glee competitions for many years. But you do have to let people graduate and leave, like real high school. I find the NYC scenes worthless and the actors need to be allowed to graduate and go on to better things too.

Comment by K Witz – January 13, 2014 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, to be fair, Will has sung more this season than he did in the last. He even got on the Christmas album again! Also, I read in another article that the 100th episode special focuses on Will. He’ll still be around.

Comment by Elvis – January 13, 2014 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glee stopped being about the teacher and Glee Club as soon as Lea Michele became a huge hit! The only thing Ryan has talked about in regards to Glee’s future since Cory’s death is how Lea is his star and Glee is about Rachel Berry. W/O Cory there is NO reason for Lima to keep going because Glee is not about the Newbies.

Comment by Pat – January 13, 2014 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with this. They should tried to phase the old cast out instead of keeping them around. Plenty of shows have made that work Skins and Degrassi are the best examples. This could have been the American example. Force people to either get used to them or stop watching.

Comment by Riana – January 13, 2014 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The choir room has been nothing to the show since seaosn 3. The show is about following your dream well at least that is what the writers say.

Comment by glee is not a setting – January 14, 2014 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is so exciting! I have been waiting for the switch to NY and can’t wait. Blaine and Sam will be great additions to the NY stories. Feb. 25th can’t get here soon enough! Thank you Ryan Murphy!!

Comment by Jen – January 13, 2014 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds promising. Rachel/Santana/Kurt in NY have been the only worthwhile part of Glee.

Comment by Lori – January 13, 2014 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God willin’ and the creek don’t rise, Mr. Shue will be off the show. I absolutely cannot stand the character.

Comment by Melinda – January 13, 2014 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Better late than never…

Comment by Matheus Mafra (@matmafra) – January 13, 2014 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NY has a great balance right now with Rachel, Santana and Kurt. That is the only part of this show that is watchable. Just the thought that Ryan Murphy would think that moving Blaine and Sam to NY is a good thing is inexplicable. The audience (aside from Klaine fans) don’t like Blaine and Sam in Lima, they aren’t going to like them any better in NY and now they could upset the balance of the NY side. Why Ryan, why do you constantly do the things that cause your shows to go over the cliff.

Comment by Joe – January 13, 2014 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So have you actually taken the time to set up a poll with a data sample that includes representation of all demographics that watch glee, created a scatter plot to eliminate outliers, and then used this as a way to back your statement that “no one outside klainers like Blaine or Sam? If not, your argument falls into what we call a logical fallacy. Now, if you quote watcher statistics, you will realize the second half of the Christmas special had the least amount of viewers in the run of the show and, guess what, it did not focus on Blaine. Blaine-haters who blame everything on Blaine are some of the most absurd people around.

Comment by Caitie – January 13, 2014 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @Caitie, I don’t get it either. Why can’t they be angry at the writers? To them, Blaine possibly serves as a scapegoat for any number of irritating Glee things. It’s safer to hate a fictional character than the infamously petty and vindictive creator of said character and show.

Comment by Elvis – January 13, 2014 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah there are no polls or anything but it’s a big coincidence the ratings took suck a huge nose dive when the focus went to Blam and the Newbies. There was such a huge drop from the Klaine focused 501 – 502 so obviously people didn’t like it enough to come back. It’s all on the writers but I can see where people resent the actors that play the characters that get on their nerves since that’s what people see.

Comment by MaryEllen – January 13, 2014 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • an episode with klaine focus and a lot of klaine promo in magazines got higher views than one without so people watched when they knew there was more klaine??? where is your logic in this???

Comment by yo – January 13, 2014 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m sure Fox was thrilled with the magazine views…too bad it didn’t get the ratings lol 501 with all the Klaine promo got a 25% decrease in ratings from the season 4 Final. I think the point is fans don’t like the direction the show went in, be it too much Klaine, too much Blam and the addition of the Newbies and most likely its all of the above along with crappy writing. Glee went away from it’s core characters and destroyed Finn and Finchel in S4 and fans left. That being said, those fans are gone, they won’t be coming back so this move is pointless. I can only guess Fox will save money by getting rid of characters ie: Newbies that do nothing more than take up space and save money by not needing as large a crew for filming.

Comment by Tate – January 13, 2014 07:04 PM PDT
        • The fact that you’re blaming the lower ratings on a single character (or couple) shows how little you know about the natural decline of TV ratings, or how TV works in general. Most TV series decline in ratings the older it gets. Some TV shows decline faster than others, but for the most part, all start to go downhill at some point. Glee’s ratings have been declining for the past few seasons, so that it declined again in season 5 is not surprising. Moreover, the year prior, the entire show’s structure completely changed. A lot of the original cast left, and a lot of the remaining cast no longer interacted with each other. New characters were introduced. There was a lot that happened in season 4 that didn’t seem to resonate with viewers of the show. To say that it was primarily a single character or couple is odd, since that single character was introduced and had a pretty large role in Glee’s highest-rated season (season 2). The character was so well-received (and his songs downloaded) that Blaine was promoted to series regular the following year. Yet, somehow Glee’s ratings decline is due to Blaine? It couldn’t be one of a dozen other changes made to the show in the last year and a half, or the simple result of fading interest in a show that’s been on the air for five years?

Comment by soundscene – January 14, 2014 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Finally, some actual logic. Hating a character does not automatically correlate to a decline in the ratings. There are numerous factors to consider not just “I hate Blaine, therefore, he is the reason Glee is losing viewers,” which is faulty logic and would never actually hold up in an argument.

Comment by Caitie – January 14, 2014 09:22 PM PDT
    • I don’t know about the “great balance” in NY right now. What has Santana done there besides take a dance class for one episode and date Demi Lovato for another episode? Although I am happier with NY this season because they stopped the “NY is dark and sexy and edgy!” stuff which didn’t suit any of the three.

I like most of the characters (the “originals”, Cheerios/footballers, others, new kids, etc) but I don’t like it when they’re inexplicably made into a-holes to serve a plot point or set up a song cue. That’s been going on since the lauded beginning of the series, so I’d argue that Ryan’s been driving the show over the cliff since the Pilot, but that’s my perspective.

Comment by Elvis – January 13, 2014 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the new york side is not a great balance. that’s why they kept adding people last year and this year. with demi and adam’s inevitable leave they need people to have kurcheltana interact with besides themselves or else it would be boring. if you don’t want sam there than okay but honestly people whining about blaine being there though? kurt said he has been on board with moving to new york since season 2, he is engaged to kurt, and he applied to nyc schools. like????? what is he gonna be a senior forever???

Comment by yo – January 13, 2014 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • New York actually doesn’t have great balance. Why do you think they pile on the guest stars? As much as some people are obsessed with those three, they can’t carry a narrative by themselves, much less an entire episode, which is why we never got an all-NY episode. And it’s nothing bad on the actors, not at all, they just need more people to interact with. By making the core three a core five and bringing in some guests every now and then (Mercedes, Tina, Artie) they make it more of a real place. Also, by bringing in different personality types, like the goofy/cracky dynamic with Blaine, they balance things out more. You don’t have to like the goofy things/characters, some people don’t like the serious/mean dynamic other characters and friendships bring, but it’s not about what one group likes, but bringing balance.

Comment by A – January 13, 2014 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • *With Blaine and Sam. Also, it’s important to have characters that have history, which is why I’m welcoming Amber/Mercedes even though I’ve never been a fan. It’s about what’s best for the show and the way it works, not what’s best for me.

Comment by A – January 13, 2014 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see how they’ll move Sue to NY. It’s bound to be ridiculous.

Comment by woodyinho – January 13, 2014 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope she buys the diner and ends up as the kids boss lolol!

Comment by Tate – January 13, 2014 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mercedes is NY-bound, right? I anticipate that they’ll do a love triangle with her, Sam and Rachel. I don’t want that but the writers put triangles in all the time. She may have a similar amount of focus as Santana does now.

As far as others in NY, Blaine is no surprise. He’s auditioned for NYADA, his fiance Kurt lives there, he was mentioned in NY talk all the way back in season two. If there was any sudden doubt, like a job offer in LA, it would’ve been done already.

Artie will be in NY since he accepted the film school slot. I don’t think we’ll see more of him though. Sam is going and he’ll get more plots than he does now. Though the Billy Joel episode seemed more of a chemistry test, I bet that he’ll get more focus than anyone else except for Rachel.

Sue will be on the show, even if only sporadically, because she and Rachel are the two most recognizable characters on the show.

Comment by Elvis – January 13, 2014 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If that was a chemistry test for a Sam/Rachel paring I give it an F-! Sorry but Chord can’t keep up with Lea PERIOD! Dude sucks the life out of every scene he is in. Rachel had more chemistry with Elliot’s puppet then she did with Sam.

Comment by Jamie – January 13, 2014 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @Jamie, I should have clarified. I thought it was a chemistry test for all five of them, not just Sam and Rachel. Whatever does happen between them, I don’t want it to warp the characters beyond recognition.

Comment by Elvis – January 13, 2014 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think there is more chemistry with Elliot and Dani in the group with than with Sam and Blaine. I get Klaine are engaged but Darren and Chris give off don’t want Klaine to happen vibs. I know Demi wants to tour but I really wish they could keep Adam around. He and Lea would be great together as screen partners. I also think it’s more interesting for them to interact with people not from Lima.

Comment by Bev – January 13, 2014 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Adam Lambert isn’t much of an actor. Performer? Sure. Actor? Not so much. He’s not great in the scenes in which he has to be lower key (i.e., not a vamped-up glam-rocker). There was no weight in his performance. Even Chord is better than that. Darren certainly is.

Comment by soundscene – January 14, 2014 08:34 AM PDT
          • @soundscene Chord and Blaine are better actors that Adam Lambert????’ Please, your bias is showing. It´s time to step away and breath

Comment by may – January 14, 2014 12:04 PM PDT
          • They will do Elliot’s appartment on the show, so I’m pretty sure he’s here to stay. At least, until the fifth season ends.

Comment by Amelie – January 25, 2014 02:07 PM PDT
    • I seriously hope they keep Rachel away from all things Sam as much as possible.

Comment by abz – January 13, 2014 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited for Blaine to move to New York and Kurt and Blaine to live together! They’re my favorites, and they’re engaged, so anything else wouldn’t make sense. I hope to see a lot more Klaine interaction, because their separation has gone on way too long. I’m excited for Mercedes like crazy! Because I much, much prefer Kurt’s friendship with Mercedes than the annoying friendship he has with Rachel or the forced one with Santana where she calls him Lady Hummel all the time.

Comment by Jean – January 13, 2014 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah it was better whine Kurt ingnored Mercedes so he could go with Blaine. I love how Kurt fans want Mercedes. We all knw it is becasue Mercedes won’t get roe screentime than Kurt. You want Kurt to have supporting characters around him but won’t accept him being support sometimes.

Comment by meh – January 14, 2014 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They wouldn’t all move! That would be ridiculous!

I laughed. Glee is no stranger to the ridiculous.

Comment by Kayla – January 13, 2014 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy about the the full-time move to NYC, but there are several problems that I’m anticipating:
    1) more Sam – such an annoying character. Not funny. Needs a serious haircut. Character has become extremely dumb.
    2) more Blaine – has become an annoying character too. Sings wayyyyyyyy too much. Should only be used in small doses.
    3) BLAM! – two annoying characters put together!!
    4) Klaine engagement is still a stupid storyline and should end.
    5) Sue in NY? How does that make any sense?

Only positives would be more Rachel and Santana and some possible new NYC/NYADA characters maybe!! Also, no more newbies. Although I will miss Kitty a bit (she was my favourite of the newbies).

Comment by abz – January 13, 2014 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the klaine engagement storyline will end when they get married :)

Comment by yo – January 13, 2014 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A+. :D

Comment by A – January 13, 2014 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • or the reunion episode when they get divorced.

Comment by bleeblah – January 14, 2014 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “moving Blaine and Sam to NY is a good thing
    is inexplicable.” lol go watch the show again, we know about blaine going to new york since season 2 :) if anyone in nyc is inexplicable this person is santana she spent the whole season 3 making fun of rachel and kurt and then moved in with them looool

Comment by baby – January 13, 2014 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait. I hope Klaine storylines will be better once Blaine is in New York. I can’t believe all these Blaine haters. Are you insane? Darren Criss is perfection. Haters to the left.

Comment by Gleek4ever – January 13, 2014 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perfection? He is one of the weaker singers and actors on the show.

Comment by bleeblah – January 14, 2014 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t bother, you’re trying to reason with people who probably think that Justin Bieber is the greatest artist of all time lol.

Comment by Cam – January 15, 2014 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Sil – January 19, 2014 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They better not get rid of Jenna. If they do, it would be one of the most unfair things this show has ever done, forr 4 years they have neglected tha character of Tina and now they are saying that Darren and Chord are going to NY, and that not all the graduates are leaving for New York, no need to be a genious to realize who they’re talking about, besides, they are bringing Amber back but not keeping Jenna?
    I swear if they ditch her I am so done with this show

Comment by joncuriel – January 13, 2014 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, I love Tina and she does have a great voice, arguably better dan Melissa Benoits an some of the other new kids. She has been been ignored even in the first season even though the actress is a broadwayactress. (meaning she can surely hold her own)
      there was a mention Tina getting in to Veterinarion school at NYU as a backup plan if acting didnt work out. lets hope she goes to NYU and starts a band with rachel and co.

Comment by Eliza – January 14, 2014 02:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She can’t act and her character is unbearable especially when she is with Blam.

Comment by bleeblah – January 14, 2014 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else think Sam/Chord looks a little like Flynn Rider in that screencap? Just me? Ok…

Comment by Qat – January 13, 2014 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to Blaine and Kurt being in NY together. My two favs sharing screentime again! Yay!

Comment by Alex – January 13, 2014 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for Blaine and Klaine in NYC. Laughing at haters’ tears. I hope we also get to see Kurt interacting with his fiancé and other people that aren’t Santana and Rachel again and again.

Comment by Deborad – January 13, 2014 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So you want Kurt to share the screen with a actor who can’t keep up with him? Klaine screen are boring. Kurt doesn’t even seem to like Blaine any more.

Comment by Mark – January 14, 2014 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He can keep up just fine.

Comment by ridicule – January 19, 2014 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Klaine living together NYC is all I ever wanted in my life.

Comment by Deborad – January 13, 2014 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy to finally hear Blaine will move to NYC. I’d be thrilled with Blaine, Kurt, Santana, Rachel, Mercedes – and Sam only because there’s no way around it. Really excited about Glee again.

Comment by Melissa – January 13, 2014 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I hope we get more Klaine, Kurt and Blaine!!

Comment by Hana – January 13, 2014 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please do not let Tina be seen at all after graduation. Her character has become so over the top unlikable I honestly wonder if Ryan Murphy personally dislikes Jenna Ushkowitz and is taking it out on her via making her character intolerable, like he did with Quinn/Diana Agron.

Comment by Molly – January 13, 2014 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In all honesty, Glee really hasn’t been good since season 2. Season 3 had a handful of good episodes, and season 4 was just bad. And the downward trend continues this season, and I used to LOVE Glee.

Comment by Kre – January 13, 2014 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you My thoughts exactly. Glee used to be my absolute favorite have to watch show. Four of us girls got together to watch it every week. Now, I cannot stand it. None of my friends watch it. Season 4 was a mess. I watched the Quarterback episode season 5. I tried to watch it with Adam Lambert because he is awesome. But, NY is better, but Lima is awful. I don’t care for Blaine, Sam or Tina. I know, a lot of it is the writing, but the acting is atrocious as well. It’s not as good as it once was. Singing either. A lot of people put a lot of praise into Darren Criss and his character as a leading one with singing talent. I’m a listener who doesn’t see or hear it, doesn’t acknowledge it, nor accept it. Season 4 I was really excited for Kurt to meet and date an adult with substance like Adam. But, he was in passing. I liked Kurt when he was with him. Not really a fan of the Klaine frenzy. Glee needs to really change a lot for me to watch the second half of this season and beyond.

Comment by ske – January 15, 2014 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is good news! Though it’ll be weird to see the show without the glee club. At least there’s the diner and stuff. Rachel, Kurt, Santana, Blaine, Sam, Mercedes, and whoever else they bring over should be really fun to watch. It’s so funny seeing people complaining, like break out your season one DVD and get over it.

Comment by A – January 13, 2014 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post