Fox Boss on Bones' 'Likely' Final Season, New Broadchurch Ending, Extra Sleepy Hollow Eps
Bones Season 10 appears to be a fait accompli.
“I would anticipate it will be back,” Fox Chairman Kevin Reilly told reporters Monday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, adding that the renewal deal is currently being hammered out. Reilly also noted that longtime EP Stephen Nathan will take over as showrunner as Hart Hanson segues to his new drama Backstrom.
Following his formal exec presentation, Reilly indicated to reporters than any Season 10 would “likely” be Bones‘ last.
Other takeaways from Fox’s exec session…
* The X Factor is down, but is it out? Reilly insisted “no decision” has been made regarding the future of Simon Cowell’s floundering singing competition, but acknowledged, “The show underperformed this year. Simon himself would admit that… If the show were to come back, it would not be in the current format that we have.” (Reilly also confirmed buzz that Cowell’s onscreen role could be diminished or eliminated altogether.)
* Sleepy Hollow‘s Season 2 renewal is for 13 episodes but “we may do a few more,” said Reilly. Production on the next cycle begins this March, resultant of Fox’s new production model.
* Despite Enlisted‘s weak ratings start last Friday, Reilly plans to “hang with it” for all 13 episodes.
* Upcoming event series Gracepoint will remain “very faithful” to its Broadchurch source material, but “we have a different ending than” the UK version.
* Reilly is “highly bullish” on The Mindy Project coming back for a third season, despite ratings not being “where we wish they were.”
* “I think Dads has come a long way,” Reilly enthused of the much-maligned rookie sitcom. “If you have actually watched the show, it is funny. It makes me laugh. It is what it is. [The producers] smoothed out some of the choppiness they had in the pilot.”