Fox Boss on Bones' 'Likely' Final Season, New Broadchurch Ending, Extra Sleepy Hollow Eps

Bones Season 9Bones Season 10 appears to be a fait accompli.

“I would anticipate it will be back,” Fox Chairman Kevin Reilly told reporters Monday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, adding that the renewal deal is currently being hammered out. Reilly also noted that longtime EP Stephen Nathan will take over as showrunner as Hart Hanson segues to his new drama Backstrom.

Following his formal exec presentation, Reilly indicated to reporters than any Season 10 would “likely” be Bones‘ last.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Other takeaways from Fox’s exec session…

The X Factor is down, but is it out? Reilly insisted “no decision” has been made regarding the future of Simon Cowell’s floundering singing competition, but acknowledged, “The show underperformed this year. Simon himself would admit that… If the show were to come back, it would not be in the current format that we have.” (Reilly also confirmed buzz that Cowell’s onscreen role could be diminished or eliminated altogether.)

* Sleepy Hollow‘s Season 2 renewal is for 13 episodes but “we may do a few more,” said Reilly. Production on the next cycle begins this March, resultant of Fox’s new production model.

* Despite Enlisted‘s weak ratings start last Friday, Reilly plans to “hang with it” for all 13 episodes.

RELATED | Holy Gotham: Fox’s James Gordon Series Will Include Bruce Wayne, Riddler, Catwoman and Others

* Upcoming event series Gracepoint will remain “very faithful” to its Broadchurch source material, but “we have a different ending than” the UK version.

* Reilly is “highly bullish” on The Mindy Project coming back for a third season, despite ratings not being “where we wish they were.”

* “I think Dads has come a long way,” Reilly enthused of the much-maligned rookie sitcom. “If you have actually watched the show, it is funny. It makes me laugh. It is what it is. [The producers] smoothed out some of the choppiness they had in the pilot.”

1. Mark says:

Enlisted is a heck of a lot funnier than Dads – not that it’s saying much, since watching homeless guys pee at the bus stop is funnier than Dads.

• David4 says:

Yeah Raising Hope and Enlisted should be moved to Tuesdays and Mindy and Dads should just vanish from TV.

• gdv says:

Um, I LOVE Mindy. I would be very sad if it got cancelled. I have especially enjoyed the last few episodes. The pilot for Enlisted was really funny! They should definitely move it to a better timeslot than Fridays.

• rawley says:

Uh, The Mindy Project is amazing. SOOO much better than last season. It’s insulting to include it in the same sentence as Dads.

• Tenney says:

I would love to see Raising Hope and Enlisted moved to another night but to say Mindy should be removed from TV is just wrong. Mindy is hilarious. About half way through last season it found its grove and it just keeps getting better. There is no way it should be put in the same sentence with Dads. I’d love to see New Girl kind of go away. The first two seasons were great, but this season has been horrible.

2. 206episodesofBones says:

Whatever you think of Bones it is the stalwart of Fox’s schedule. It has proven itself over and over on almost every night of the week and while it will end sooner or later you can’t blame them for wanting to keep it as long as they can. It’s called “the little show that could” for a reason and I’m still enjoying it immensely.

• atlanta says:

Exactly, haters go away and hate on something else, nobody is forcing you to watch. #Bonesseason10

• Bobbi says:

Love bones, and hope the show continues for a long time.

• Stormy says:

i love the show, but watch it for the other cast members rather than B&B. Brennan has become insufferable, all inflated ego and self importance. A female Sheldon Cooper is not appealing.

• KevyB says:

I literally just took Bones off my DVR after the last episode. It’s just been SOOOOO bad this year! I’ve watched it for everyone in the lab, but they’ve all been insufferable for large parts of the season. Brennan hasn’t been the worst, considering how intolerable most of the squinterns have become. But Brennan is up there too, especially now that the writers seem interested in making sure she regrets everything about her personality. Her personality was always the most inventive part of the show! But this past episode and the jury duty show, where they all KNEW he was guilty even though NONE OF THEM had any proof were quite possibly the two worst episodes ever! Finally getting Pelant was underwhelming too. Just, seriously, whatever, show!

• glenna says:

i agree..brennan has become just to much..love booth and the other cast members

• Kathie Menker says:

I agree wholeheartedly! I love the show and also watch reruns a lot on TNT. I would hate to see it go after one more season, but 10 years is a long time for any series. I don’t know why anyone would say this season has been soooo bad. However, I am glad they finally put Pallant in the grave I love all the characters and hope the new leadership doesn’t ruin the show for the last season. I always fear change, lol.

• Missy says:

Love this show and its wonderful cast led by Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz. They feel like family to us and are great entertainers. Bones has already made TV history as one of the best shows ever. I acknowledge that it cannot go on forever, but if it were up to me, it would last even longer than 10 seasons. I only hope that Fox retains Emily and David. It could even plan a spin off for each and take us with them — a great group of diehard fans!!!

3. Jacob says:

I hope by “different ending” for GRACEPOINT, they don’t actually mean “different scene to close out the final episode” because that’s a cop out. Change the killer, or no dice.

• Apples says:

Agree. The ending needs a major change.

• Barb says:

Not only that I hope they re-use the same dialog as the original. That’s why I have difficulty these re-dos like The Bridge, The Killing, etc. because it’s deju vu.

• Marco says:

The Bridge IS a deja-vu, but The Killing is most definitely not. The character who is the killer in the original

SPOILER

dies in the first episode of s2 of AMC’s version, and the killer isn’t even of the same gender.

• Tess says:

Was I the only one who read “different ending” to just mean another member of Miller’s family? I mean, it’s got to be someone close to her to illicit the reaction and the anguish in the character at the end… unless they don’t plan on having Anna Gunn play her that way and instead she’s as much of a cold outsider in it as her partner on the case is…otherwise, someone else in the community being the killer doesn’t have the same effect. Broadchurch was as much a character study as it was a murder mystery; so changing the ending might eliminate one of the main points that made the show so compelling – not saying they shouldn’t change it though; I can’t imagine sitting through a remake only to wind up with the same result.

4. Jenna says:

I don’t understand why more people don’t watch Mindy Project. The cast and writing is phenomenal. Quite frankly, it’s far funnier and more engaging than New Girl this season!

• Tania says:

Jenna I agree with you 100%. The Mindy Project has such witty dialogue. It is far more funnier than New Girl which I, sadly, soured on of late. The Mindy Project and Brooklyn Nine Nine are two of the funniest comedies in my opinion because they ARE comedies.

• Patrick says:

TMP has the same problem that Parks and Rec had. The start was underwhelming, quality wise. It found its footing, eventually, but it was maybe too late. If some people, like me, watched the first batch of TMP eps, they probable bailed and haven’t come back.

• Taken says:

I guess nobody watched TMP bc they watch New Girl, get depressed and switch channels. Because New Girl is awful this year!

• Boiler says:

I also agree Jenna. It seems no one, and not just TVLine, are willing to ask questions of any TV exec that fans of shows want answers to. Heck, Michael was on the last episode of BOP with no question to ABC that I know of.

5. rawley says:

MINDY PROJECT! Oh that gives me so much hope for next season.

6. Andrew Hass says:

I do think Bones will be renewed for its 10th season but the question might be for how many episodes.Plus maybe the network and the show are trying to decide now if next season will be the show’s last or not.

• Ali says:

Reilly already said Bones works well with 22 eps, a well-oiled machine, comedies and procedurals will prolly stay at 22 eps.

• Megs says:

I really want it to be 18 episodes. If it is the final season that would total 206 Bones episodes and how great would that be!

7. Ali says:

Reilly is proud of his Tuesday comedies, wow, what a great dad he must be.

8. enri says:

Pretty, pretty please keep the Mindy Project. I’m enjoying it so much! I don’t even watch New Girl anymore.

9. Matt says:

I’m really glad to hear Reilly is sticking by The Mindy Project, but I’m going to allow myself to be a bit cynical here and point out that if they really do want higher ratings, then maybe they should promote the show more, help it find an audience. It may not have as wide an appeal as some of their other comedies or shows like Sleepy Hollow, what with it essentially being a romantic comedy, but I still think it could be holding the potential to become one of their biggest hits. Then again, maybe I’m just that biased.

10. rachie says:

I squealed & screamed with excitement when I seen that a season 10 of Bones is pretty much set. I could cry I’m so happy. It’s my favorites show on television & I will follow it to any day of the week. Thank you Fox.. Thank you! Ahhhhh

11. Ray says:

Canceling the Mindy Project would be a travesty. It’s the funniest comedy FOX has on the air right now!

12. Will says:

I hate reading these things..like Ausiello did NO ONE ask Reilly why he wouldn’t try Enlisted on Tuesday nights? …I don’t understand why no one seems to be asking this question. What if Dads was on Fridays following Raising Hope? Would he still be as proud of it and its ratings then? Sounds to me like he’s trying to please Seth MacFarlane….

13. Apples says:

Mindy is awful and completely devoid of humour these days. It can go. Enlisted- I couldn’t even make it through the pilot. B99 is the only comedy worth saving on Fox.
    Looking forward to Gracepoint thanks to the stellar cast, but yes it definitely needs a new, different twist.

14. Douglas from Brazil says:

And what about the decision to pull the pilot season?

15. Lecholls says:

I’d like Tuesday to be Enlisted, B99, New Girl, and Mindy. Dads is terrible.

16. Cassandra says:

Did they discuss at all the future of Almost Human or why they are showing the episodes out of order? Last week’s episode was the best so far, and I’m ready to fall in love with the show, but I’m reluctant to with Fox’s rocky relationship with it sci-fi fare.

17. Jared Giordano says:

The type of humor that The Mindy Project has along with series like Parks and Rec..30 Rock..Community seem to be very specific and not meant for the masses. I personally love comedies like that but there NEVER going to get huge ratings on network television.

• Parker says:

You’re onto something. I tried each of these at least once except TMP.. I love Joel McHale, but was bored by Community. 30 Rock lost me because I don’t like Alec or Tina. Parks & Rec never had a chance because I don’t like Amy Poehler or Offerman. And though you don’t mention it B99 has Andy Samberg and that leaves it out. If I dislike the star, the quality of the writing doesn’t matter. I’d watch reruns of Cheers, Taxi, M*A*S*H, Frasier or TBBT before I’d watch a new ep of any of those.

18. Sandy Holl says:

Bones is the best show on Tv!!! Fox moving it to Fridays didn’t hurt it too much! Season 10 is great ! Thank you Fox!!! I can see the show going on for much longer if given a chance!!!!!

19. Patrick Maloney says:

Is there any truth to next season of Sleepy Hollow airing nonstop?

20. Dorothy says:

I would like tom know if Rizzoli and Isles is going to be back?

21. Dee says:

I did enjoy Enlisted so very happy he’s gonna stick with it!

22. Pat says:

Happy, Happy News, for me that is and all the Bones Fans. I still do not want to hear that season 10 will be their last. Right now, I will enjoy this good news.

23. Babybop says:

PLEASE renew The Mindy Project. It’s so brilliant, I will cry if it gets cancelled.

24. Aeol says:

WHY are they sticking with only 13 seasons of Sleepy Hollow? It’s a proven success. Give us 22 episodes!’

• Angela says:

I’m with you. I know that one of the main concerns about extending to a full season with shows like this is being able to stretch out the plot over that length of time, and that’s a very fair point to consider and discuss. But hell, there were so many storylines/plots crammed into the episodes in the show’s first season (not that I minded that, of course, it kept things snapping along and all that good stuff) that I could definitely see being expanded upon and delved into a little more deeply if they had a few more episodes to explore them.
      The fact that they seem to be at least open to the idea of going beyond the initial 13 episodes for next season is good to hear, though-hopefully they can figure something out with that.

• Abby says:

Absolutely agree to 22 episodes of Sleepy Hollow! It could easily be divided up like OUaT–a fall and spring run… Or the network shows like Major Crimes, White Collar, etc. I think it does the viewers and network a disservice only being 13 episodes. It did so well–they could get more commercials and marketing with a longer season. The writers, cast, everyone associated with it did so well!! And have so many more stories to tell! I’m going to go crazy waiting until fall for this awesome show!!

25. christine says:

“The Mindy Project” doesn’t get the appreciation it deserves. Great show.

26. Austin says:

Did he mention ANYTHING about Almost Human? changes of being renewed?

27. Boiler says:

Hopefully as long as the actors still want to do Bones it goes on as long as possible. The viewership supports it

28. Bill Cochran says:

I do find Temperance to be irritating this season. Her smugness and ego is sometime difficult to take. Maybe a new bunch of writers could inject some different story lines. I fi d that since Booth and Bones got married, that certain flirty chemistry between them has disappeared.

29. Tallee says:

The “Enlisted” pilot was hysterical. I can’t remember the first time a pilot episode of anything was that entertaining. I was pleasantly surprised. I also read that it jumped 86% in the first 3 days of DVR viewing…so it may stand a chance after all. It would be nice for Geoff Stults to get a show on FOX that they DON’T cancel the first season. :)

30. Rita says:

Bones YES, 10 & more! Great Show!

31. Craig Hansen says:

Glad to see Bones is returning next year for a final tour of the schedule. It deserves to go out classy. Arguably a much better series than Castle, and I enjoy Castle.

As to X-Factor, it’s my favorite of the three big singing competitions… but the person they need to cut is the embarrassing Paulina, not Simon. Simon IS the show, for me. Bring X-Factor back without Simon, and you can count me out; his critical honesty is the only thing that makes the show watchable.

IDOL is a bore without Simon, and as for THE VOICE, I have no interest in watching uncritical praise drooling from the mouths of secretly-unimpressed “coaches” on a show that “doesn’t care about making new music stars” only garnering ratings.

In a perfect world, Simon would return to IDOL or IDOL would get cancelled, X-FACTOR would get moved to winter-spring, Ryan Seacrest would replace “Slater” as host, and Simon could go back to his greatest strength: launching the careers of future stars like Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, etc.

Without Simon, I won’t be tuning into any music competition next year. Blech.

32. angered says:

Reilly, you are a loser if you don’t continue with bones, the mindy project is the dumbest show on your network and dont deserve a time slot, if you continue with it n not renew bones my household will most definitely not be watching your network again