Switched at Birth Boss on Bay and Daphne's New Boys, 'Interesting' Toby Arc and More

Change is in the air when ABC Family’s Switched at Birth returns this Monday at 8/7c — and we’re not just talking about Carlton’s new name.

Bay and Daphne are also forming friendships with a couple of new boys (played by Glee‘s Max Adler and Breaking Bad‘s RJ Mitte) in Season 3. And any time a cute face enters a teen’s life, there’s always the possibility for romance.

RELATED | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza: Exclusive Scoop on 31 Returning Series

So what does that mean for Bay and her ex Emmett? Will Daphne, still recovering from her disastrous relationship with Jace, connect with or push away Mitte’s wheelchair-bound intern? And what’s in store for the rest of the Kennish and Vasquez clans?

Flip through the slideshow as executive producer Lizzy Weiss gives TVLine a breakdown of each character’s arc.

Comments (20)

• Excited about the new characters, love Max Adler and RJ Mitte. Wonder if Austin Butler will be back when Carrie Diaries is unfortunately cancelled.

Comment by Lauren – January 10, 2014 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • carrie diaries are being cancelled? That sucks

Comment by abbs – February 17, 2014 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope John gets some cumuppence this year. He’s an unbearable jerk.

Comment by Anne – January 10, 2014 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, I thought Angelo gave the baby back to that couple. Did I fall asleep?

Comment by Lliannan – January 10, 2014 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, he did. Idk what the hell is going on. I can’t remember did Toby get married?

Comment by tp – January 10, 2014 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Toby did get married. They canceled the wedding and just went to the courthouse instead.

Comment by Cassandra – January 11, 2014 01:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thanks. I couldn’t remember if they went through with it or not.

Comment by tp – January 13, 2014 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He gave the baby back but they have an agreement that he can see her as often as he wishes. I figured they’d just let her fade into the background once this happened but I guess they are going to use it to continue to create drama.

Comment by Ranie – January 13, 2014 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show so much. It’s so different than anything I’ve ever watched. I can’t even fully express how excited I am for Monday!

Comment by KM – January 10, 2014 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no one could be worse than Jace; goodness I’m glad he’s gone. But yay SaB is back!!!!! My favourite show!!!

Comment by liz – January 10, 2014 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is so good! Can’t wait.

Comment by Command – January 11, 2014 04:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never watched Switched at Birth before, but will be tuning in to see Max Adler as Tank. I caught up on the previous episodes on Netflix so I’m not lost, and this is a real hidden gem of a show. I would have never even heard of it otherwise, if they hadn’t brought Max on board. So glad they did; I’m looking forward to being a regular viewer now,

Comment by BGM – January 11, 2014 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am watching this series from few weeks Lets watch how they act in this show.

Comment by David – January 11, 2014 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to see bay with ty they make sucj a cute couple♥_♥ (no other boy into bays life pleaseee!!!)

Comment by genesis lopez – January 11, 2014 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The actress that plays Bay looks and comes off quite young… Watching her with Ty was like a big brother/little sister gone wrong. Max Adler looks even older… Yikes. Can’t they find an age appropriate guy for her? Or, better yet, give her a storyline that isn’t about a boy?

Comment by A – January 11, 2014 11:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, Max is pushing 30. I mean, he looks relatively young, but passing for a college freshman? That’s getting into Daphne/Chef Jeff creepiness.

Comment by Lliannan – January 12, 2014 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “”They are always each other’s first person to go to, to talk through things. A lot of us have had friends like that — the guy friend who maybe was an ex who you still feel that emotional intimacy with, and they know you better than anyone, so you can talk through a lot of stuff.””

And you just described the best/worst thing in my life.
    But I’m Emmet, without the cheating part.

Comment by Pearl – January 13, 2014 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bay needs to get back with Emmett so he made a mistake forgive him and move on
    They were the perfect couple

Comment by heather_slaight@hotmail.com – March 15, 2014 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bay and emmett were perfect together he is tje reason for me watching the show they need to be together so he’s not just pushed to the side we dnt see wnough of him

Comment by ashley – March 17, 2014 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post