Ratings: Big Bang's Biggest Audience Ever, Parks and Millers Hit Season Highs, Assets Slips Lower

Ratings Parks and RecreationParks and Recreation celebrated its 100th episode in style, surging 40 percent in the demo from its most recent outing to hit a season high of 1.5, per finals.

The beloved yet underrated NBC comedy also hit a season high in total viewers, with 3.4 mil.

Opening NBC’s night, Community (3.6 mil/1.4) rose two tenths from last week’s double-pump premiere. Sean Saves the World (3.1 mil/1.0) and Michael J Fox (3.1 mil/1.0) both added some eyeballs and two tenths in the demo, while Parenthood drew its best-since-season premiere audience (4.26 mil) but was flat in the demo (with a 1.3).

Over on CBS, The Big Bang Theory drew its largest audience ever for a regularly scheduled episode — 20.35 million total viewers, per finals — while hitting an 11-month high in the demo (5.7). The Millers led out of that with season highs of 13.4 mil/3.3. The Crazy Ones (9.5 mil/2.4) surged 20 percent in the demo, while Two and a Half Men (9.6mil/2.4) and Elementary (10 mil/2.0) each ticked up two tenths.

ABC’s The Taste (4.5 mil/1.3) was flat versus its season opener, while Assets (2.9 mil/0.6) dropped 24 percent and a tenth. Gonna be a lonnnng eight more weeks for ABC.

1. wrstlgirl says:

I tried watching Assets again and it’s just flat out boring.

2. Eric says:

Yay for NBC, especially Community and P&R! It’s so sad that the Peacock’s entire Thursday night lineup receives less viewers combined than a single episode of Big Bang Theory. Shows like the two I named and Parenthood deserve to get just as many, they are streets ahead in terms of quality.

• Dick Whitman says:

Seriously, ugh.

• catelyn says:

I feel like people complain about this all the time. Let it go. Everybody’s taste in comedy differs. I happen to dislike TBBT and love P&R but it doesn’t bother me that TBBT gets ratings that high. Regardless of how you feel about the show, it’s not going to go away because your favorite shows are tanking.

• Even though I wanted to see Sara Bareilles perform, I didn’t watch The People’s Choice Awards. It is a popularity contest with obvious winners. This isn’t because the people voting like show A more than show B. It’s because in all likelihood, people only watch show A and have never seen show B. I love Community, Parks & Recreation and The Big Bang Theory (to a lesser extent these days) but it feels like an injustice when the least of them is thriving at the others’ expense. I’m never letting this go and I hope no one else does either. There will probably never be a day where renewals are based entirely on quality, but we can dream.

• catelyn says:

You’re in fact comparing two different things. There is no way to know that people who have watched P&R and also TBBT watched P&R and just did not like it. I get it. It doesn’t make sense that people prefer their own version of quality over yours but that’s how it is. I’ve tried getting friends into Parks and Rec and they just did not get it. Who is to say that’s not the same for others?

• It does make sense that people prefer different things, but it doesn’t make sense that people would have seen both shows in equal amounts and still vote for the lesser show. The fact that you tried to get people into Parks suggests that they wouldn’t have ever seen it if it wasn’t for you. The Big Bang Theory is a bad example because it’s both critically acclaimed and popular. Dads is only the latter. I feel like there’s a point where you either grow up intellectually or you never do. Dads is the perfect litmus test for that. You either appreciate the smarter humor of critical award-winning darlings or you’re stuck in the land of big butt jokes. Not to say broader humor doesn’t have its moments–I love me some Stooges–but a lot of the time, it’s just tired and done before and makes a lot of us go, “Really, this is on TV?”

• Larry says:

HeyTigerNightmare I like both Dads and Parks and Rec.

• wi says:

Im sorry, but you are wrong in thinking that TBBT gets higher ratings “at the others’ expense” – or any show for that matter. I love both NBC shows so much more than TBBT, but I have no blinders on when it comes to the fact that shows, ultimately, earn their ratings on their own.

The idea that people would watch Community, if by some chance there wasnt a TBBT at the same time is like saying more people would drink tea if there wasnt coffee. it SOUNDS true enough, but it is really disregarding several facts:
          1. how statistically relevant the uptick would be, lets say it would not matter if 0.4M out of 20M switch, just to watch “another sitcom” at 8pm;
          2. there are other choices as well, not only NBC: many people would not watch anything, or watch CNN or Bravo, whatever;
          3. In those weeks that there actually isnt a new TBBT showing, Community still does not tick up. When there are repeats of TBBT, they still win over new episodes of NBC shows;
          4. ratings are not a zero-sum game

So, yeah, do not let “that go”, but try to understand the reality behind choices.

• WonderWaage says:

It’s fine to feel that the superior shows should get ratings as The Big Bang Theory. If they don’t deliver, they’ll get cancelled. Now; Why is it not okay to voice, that you feel the superior shows should be getting better ratings? Everybody should want their favorite shows to get renewed, no?

• catelyn says:

Where exactly did I say its not okay to want the “superior” shows to get better ratings? What I pointed out is how comparing these “superior” shows ratings in relative to TBBT ratings seems like a waste of time sometimes because it doesn’t change anything.

• WonderWaage says:

I agree that it doesn’t change anything, catelyn with a lower case c. But I also believe that people should voice their opinions if they feel the ratings of TBBT are unwarranted, when there are much better shows on the air, even at the same time. Chuck Lorre can wrap his dogpoo up in fancy words and scientists, but in the end, catelyn with a lower case c, it’ll still be dogpoo….

• catelyn why do you dislike TBBT?????!!!..it’s funny

• Larry says:

False, parks is good but its not BBT

• Dude e dude says:

Your dumb. BIG BANG RULES.

3. Matthew Weber says:

Big Bang was probably so big because everyone expected something to happen between Leonard and Penny. It was a good episode, but I was fairly disappointed that it was hyped up so much.

• Patrick says:

Great point. The last episode, combined with the promos, indicated that something major was going to go down between them.

• Boiler says:

What hype?? I didn’t see much of anything

• John 1138 says:

No hype I saw but there was an expectation of some sort of consequences leading out the last episodes with her proposal and his rejection of it.

FWIW, That TPTB didn’t have that cause a big kerfluffle I greeted with relief.

• Matthew Weber says:

They were advertising all week “You Won’t Believe What Happens Next!”.

4. Brian says:

I think we are actually going to see a sixth season of “Community” (and a movie!?) and a seventh of “Parks and Recreation”! This makes me happy.

5. Suzanne says:

I miss Scandal!

6. Eric7740 says:

How about this for a plan ABC, ordering 24 episode seasons of your popular dramas and breaking them up into three- 8 episode time frames october-november, january-february, and april-may. This 3 month gap is crazy!!!

• Boiler says:

Not bad idea. We should be watching Wonderland now on Sunday. But ABC said they had a great development year…..

• Will says:

Agreed. Especially with Scandal’s episode order being cut short, it should mean the season finale will occur in.. April?

I’m hoping Community, and Parks & Rec’s do not adjust down and this puts them in great standing for having a shot at renewal! Seasons 6 (Com) and 7 (Parks), here we come!

• Brandy says:

They purposely scheduled it that way to not have thier shows go up against as much heavy winter cable completion and the GG( though Revenge & Betrayal are ) which fans complained about and to avoid the week on two weeks off one on schedule fans complained so much about last season

• Rich Abey says:

It doesn’t apply to all the “popular” ABC shows. Castle (most viewed show on ABC) & SHIELD started airing episodes this week. Besides this extended break can hurt the ratings of other ABC shows (mainly the comedies) that depend on a strong lead in from the dramas…

• Brandy says:

I know.I forgot to/ should’ve included most of thier SERIALZED shows are on that split schedule, except Nashville since they changed thier minds on that one.Castle & Sheild are procedurals.Also, I agree that the extended break can and might hurt the serialized shows but abc was listening to the fans complaining about erratic scheduling and /or going up against the GG, and other huge events.

• Kristina says:

I agree. I wish all the networks would do a 1-month hiatus sometime during the winter/spring, get all the stupid awards shows out of the way, and then air episodes uninterrupted. It’s so tiresome to constantly have shows interrupted for a week or two once a month.

7. Kay says:

Community was so good last night. I’m really happy to see its numbers go up

8. Babygate says:

This all seems so random to me. TBBT is not as well written or acted as Parks and Rec. In my opinion Jim Parsons makes the show. The other players, especially Kaley, are not that strong. But, CBS does command a pretty big audience. I hope Parks sticks around for another season. I loved seeing Katherine Ham. She’s awesome. Though its kind of weird not seeing Leslie and Anne as together. They were my favorite part of the show. As far as The Assets, I happen to like it. It’s a period show and honestly, seeing that dude’s face in the promos almost made me not watch. He’s scary, crazy looking. Why don’t networks realize that those first impressions matter? Anywho, I like the plot. It’s kind of cerebral and suspenseful and its very well acted and written. 2.5 dropped quite substantially without the TBBT lead. And what was ABC thinking when they decided to put a 2 hr cooking show on Thursday? That’s too big a commitment for the end of the week. This is a weekend kind of show. Or maybe Monday, but not Thursday. But I guess they have to have something on that slot. ABC seriously needs to get rid of Paul Lee.

9. John 1138 says:

Possibly an awkward episode for all that Demo to sample (off the PCA?): it felt flat to me anyway….

10. David4 says:

With Community’s and P&R ratings we will probably get 8+ seasons. haha

Sucks to be NBC.

11. Pat says:

I thought that TBBT was funny last night. The scene with Bernadette going off on the new comic book store owner was great, because she was sticking up for Stuart. Also, the scene in the car with Howard,Raj and Bud was hysterical. So again, I had a good night of comedy as I do on Monday nights on CBS. Thursday nights is also my night for Grey’s & Elementary which I DVR.

12. Static says:

What are you talking about? TBBT had 6.1 rating and 20.44m viewers for the second episode of the two-part season 7 premiere.

13. Justin says:

Loves Parks and Rec abd Big Bang Theory last night. Parks definitely should get more love and viewers. I actually like it more than Big Bang Theory. However, BBT was hilarious last night. I had no expectations simply because there was no need for any. Just let what happens happen.

14. Et al says:

I’m so proud of Community. It went up week to week. It was tied for 1st place for nbc’s entire night in the demo. It was second in its timeslot. All while facing what is the single biggest half hour on network television. Six seasons and a movie, indeed!

15. windy4292 says:

The Millers is absolutely painful to watch..what a waste of Margo Martindale..and the Crazy Ones, luv SMG and Robin Williams but that show feels soooooooooooo forced..I know it takes a bit for actors on new shows to hit their groove but I turn the channel when TBBT ends now..and love Elementary but really a Deputy Commissioner for the NYPD just happens to keep a big thick file that can incriminate him in his office..seriously!!!!!

16. Maggie says:

Love Parenthood. If people watched it once, they will be hooked.

17. DavidSask says:

NBC needs to quit their line-up on this night after this year entirely! ABC is really stupid thinking anyone wants their low quality replacement shows, just continue your winning line-up minus the first hour no breaks. You can’t afford to lose this badly!

18. N tTVf says:

Something CBS might want to consider – they really should try other half hour comedies in those 8:30 and 9pm Thursday slot prior to end-of-season in May. TBBT is just remarkable – regardless of whether viewers here like the show or not, the numbers that TBBT are producing are just incredible. Too good to waste – CBS needs to try to maximize this TBBT phenomenon while they can.

As “windy4292′ noted above, ‘The Millers’ and ‘Crazy Ones’ are not world-beaters. Might be worth having CBS move another series or two into these 8:30/9pm slots to see what they can do. At this point, almost any show CBS places in that Thursday 8:30 slot can become a ‘hit’ and get 11-13m viewers and a 3.0+ demo.

I’d move ‘Mom’ into that Thursday 8:30 slot – CBS needs to determine just how good ‘Mom’ is [or can be], and that might be a good way to quickly find out.

19. Dude e dude says:

Your dumb as everyone can see by your comment. Big bang rocks!!!