Scoop: ABC Eyes National Lampoon's Vacation Series to Star Chevy Chase, Beverly D’Angelo

Get More: Pilots

National Lampoon's Vacation TV SeriesThis oughta be a trip.

ABC is eying a National Lampoon’s Vacation-esque comedy series starring franchise vets Chevy Chase and Beverly D’Angelo, TVLine has confirmed.

Aaron Kaplan (Terra Nova) is on board to exec produce the project, which is in the early stages of development for the 2015/2016 season. The search for a writer to pen the adaptation.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Chase and D’Angelo appeared in four Vacation pics — beginning with 1983′s original and ending with 1997′s Vegas-set outing — as Clark and Ellen Griswold. Plans for a reboot starring The Office‘s Ed Helms (and featuring cameos by Chase and D’Angelo) collapsed last year due to creative differences.

Thoughts? Genius move or worst idea since the Griswolds went to Sin City?

Comments (71)

• I’d watch it.

Comment by Michael Sacal – January 10, 2014 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d too, absolutely love the Lampoon’s Vacation movies.

Comment by jimbo – January 10, 2014 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’d too, absolutely love the Lampoon’s Vacation movies!!! I still watch tham all. im 61
        it would be wrong too take tham off the to of tham act so good togather!!

Comment by Ginny Ross – January 10, 2014 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It will never work as a series. Unless they go on a different vacation every week.

Comment by mewp12 – January 10, 2014 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In Christmas, they stayed home. They might do episodes in which they stay at home, and episodes in which they go on a vacation.

Comment by Michael Sacal – January 10, 2014 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Just call it the Griswolds and make it a stay at home 1 camera sitcom and it would be great. (would be awful as a three camera show)MAke sure Randy Quaid is involved and it would be awesome. W0uld be even better if they could get the original kids Dana Barron and ANthony Michael Hall to be grown up! Never underestimate Chevy!!!

Comment by Jason – January 10, 2014 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Isn’t Quaid hiding in Canada or something? If Barron could reprise the role in the Cousin Eddie TV movie, I see no reason why she couldn’t do the same for a TV show.

Comment by Michael Sacal – January 10, 2014 02:34 PM PDT
          • Isn’t Randy Quaid on the run from the feds in Canada?

Comment by Will – January 10, 2014 02:45 PM PDT
          • Call it National Lampoons StayCation!

Comment by Jason Jackson – January 11, 2014 02:29 AM PDT
      • I agree, they should do another movie featuring Clark and Ellen going on a cruise with all the other old farts who have nothing better to do than wonder around the deck of a ship and bellying up to the all you can eat food bar. The twist would be Clark books the cruise because he thinks he’s booked a love cruise with Ellen because it’s called “The Kiss Kruise” but it turns out to be full of crazy ass rocker on the band Kiss annual Kiss Kruise. How much fun would it be to see Clark run into Christy Brinkley again now that her butts sagging and boobs are drooping.

Comment by Jason Jackson – January 11, 2014 02:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “This sounds amazing!” – Me, 20 years ago.

Comment by Joel – January 10, 2014 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • not sure how i feel about this…

Comment by sharon – January 10, 2014 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “This sounds awesome!”, said no one, ever.

Comment by Venkman007 – January 10, 2014 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Assets. Killer Women. Now this tripe? Oh how the mighty have fallen.
    ABC needs to get it together, creatively.

Comment by Ray – January 10, 2014 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ABC has REVENGE….one of the best shows on the tube.

Comment by randy russell – January 10, 2014 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not interested in the least little bit.

Comment by Bobbi – January 11, 2014 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • might be good

Comment by Tristan John Wannet – January 10, 2014 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m in under one condition: Don’t make the kids cute.

Comment by Zach – January 10, 2014 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Umm excuse me, venkman007. But, THIS SOUNDS AWESOME. SAYS THIS CHICK!

Comment by Jackie – January 10, 2014 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two faces I could live happily without ever seeing again. I quit watching Community after two episodes because Chevy Chase made me want to shoot my TV.

Comment by Larry McD – January 10, 2014 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would absolutely watch this. Ethan Embry as Rusty, please!!!

Comment by alistaircrane – January 10, 2014 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would 100% watch this with those 2!! Hey, at least with a TV show Rusty & Audrey will be the same every time it comes on LOL.

Comment by JB – January 10, 2014 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It ended with CHRISTMAS VACATION in 1989 – My favorite.

I vote Zachary Levi as (grown up) Rusty.

Comment by PPPG – January 10, 2014 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually I change my mind. I would absolutely watch this if they had a different character play Rusty and Audrey every episode. Can be like a “guests of the week” type thing!

Comment by jmble – January 10, 2014 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be genius. One week the kids are in their 30s with kids of their own and the next they are teenagers. The stunt casting would be endless.

Comment by Gary – January 10, 2014 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um……………………………it might work for a little while, till Chevy Chase got all (expletive)y and hard to work with again

Comment by Tom Charles – January 10, 2014 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes…. my first thought, too– ummmm, ABC are you SURE you want to start down the road with a show starring the notoriously difficult Chevy Chase?

Comment by Geo – January 10, 2014 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How about they get Chevy to team up with Charlie Sheen for a sitcom. The show would have it’s own suicide counselor.

Comment by Parker – January 10, 2014 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, Chevy is totally going to Britta it.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 10, 2014 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly. I’m surprised Chevy would want to do it since he called TV sitcoms the lowest form of entertainment.

Comment by Amanda – January 11, 2014 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait. So it is a “Vacation” series with Chase and D’Angelo playing Clark and Ellen Griswold? Or it just a comedy series starring Chase and D’Angelo as new characters?

Comment by C – January 10, 2014 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They won’t be looking at international sales with this sort of casting. ABC apparently has no idea just how unpopular Chevy Chase is outside of the USA.

Comment by Scott – January 10, 2014 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He ain’t so hot here either.

Comment by Parker – January 10, 2014 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unsure about this. Hmm.

Comment by Esaul – January 10, 2014 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great idea. love chevy chase

Comment by wendy kalthoff – January 10, 2014 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bad idea, Cornelius Chase was never that funny and slapstick gets boring week after week. That would be like rebirthing the Three Stooges in prime time… bad move

Comment by Ed – January 10, 2014 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Slapstick does not get boring week after week. Have you ever watched Three’s Company. John Ritter was the best physical comedian of all time on that!! Of course Chase is probably too old for the physical comedy at this point.

Comment by Jason – January 10, 2014 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great! I’d watch Mr. and Mrs. Griswold. Let’s just hope Chevy Chase doesn’t act like himself!

Comment by flifish – January 10, 2014 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about it being the Grizwalds as family travel agents taking a different family each week on a vacation.

Comment by BrianR – January 10, 2014 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As I understand it they won’t be playing the Grizwolds. They’ll be playing a married couple who are raising their grandchildren.

Comment by Parker – January 10, 2014 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They can “Vacation” to a different Leisure World every week. Fun.

Comment by Jim – January 10, 2014 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE TITLE IS MISLEADING! According to Deadline it has noting to the with National Lampoon´s Vacation…

Comment by P. S. Shawn (@serialykinemask) – January 10, 2014 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds interesting – I’d definitely give it a try

Comment by lisambri – January 10, 2014 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • since I can’t edit – I guess i’ve got to reply to my own post ……………
      they *have* to use “Holiday Road” as beginning or end credits for it to truly be Vacation for me

Comment by lisambri – January 10, 2014 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would totally watch this. LOVE those movies.

Comment by Brandy – January 10, 2014 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it’s ABC so I wouldn’t expect much. More than NBC and FOX but still…

Comment by Will – January 10, 2014 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes please…a vacation tv show would rock!

Comment by A.D. – January 10, 2014 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder how long until Chevy’s ego ruins the show.

Comment by WrathofReality – January 10, 2014 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This should end well seeing as Chevy Chase is reportedly a pleasure to work with.

Comment by Et al – January 10, 2014 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like poor Paul Lee is desperately trying to save his job.

Comment by Anne – January 10, 2014 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will watch it! Both Chevy Chase and Beverly D’Angelo are adorable! I would watch it no matter what. I’m in.

Comment by bobbie – January 10, 2014 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They really better not be playing parents in this series. Grandparents, Okay. Fine. but these two are way too old to be playing Parents. So.. yeah, that.

Comment by RobMF – January 10, 2014 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well they’re still the parents of the grown kids you know…

Comment by Rosa – January 10, 2014 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Anthony Michael Hall is 45 now. What 45 year old goes on Vacation with their Parents? I know they usually will cast younger, but you can’t cast 70 year old Chevy Chase with a 12 year old son with a 62 year old wife. Possible? theoretically.. but as a concept it’s terrible. It makes more sense if they are Grandparents who try and take their kids and grand kids on Vacation.

Comment by RobMF – January 10, 2014 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they should rotate the “kids” each week or month, lol. except idk how they’d be able to snag Johnny Galecki since he’s on his own show. but all the others should be available. the only other ones I know by name are Anthony Michael Hall, Juliette Lewis and Ethan Embry (off the top of my head anyway). they should use Dennis Quaid if Randy isn’t available, haha. maybe they could make each episode a different theme based off the movies too, but not entirely or all the time.

Comment by Rosa – January 10, 2014 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It isn’t about the Grizwolds. It’s about a couple in their 60′s who are raising their grandchildren.

Comment by Sandler – January 10, 2014 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haha. I will definitely watch. Hopefully, they’ll take family vacations.

Comment by Jenna – January 10, 2014 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gut reaction: love the idea. But, it has to be the Griswalds. A great, nuttier, companion to potentially follow Modern Family. Potential genius. Seriously.

Comment by Dan – January 10, 2014 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Aaron Kaplan (Terra Nova) is on board to exec produce the project, which is in the early stages of development for the 2015/2016 season.”

Oh good. He has experience working with dinosaurs.

Comment by Walt Frisbee – January 10, 2014 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Their sin city visit wasn’t nearly as bad as their European vacation. Slap stick at best. I’d love to see it work, but maybe it’s best not to mess with the classics.

Comment by Darrell – January 10, 2014 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think to add a little nostalgia to this show the producers should recast the kids every season.

Comment by cyclone – January 10, 2014 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can they cast Julia Louis Dreyfuss as the snobby neighbor and please writers let Clark and Cousin Eddie go back to that Indian Casino !!

Comment by RichieS – January 10, 2014 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2015/2016? Chevy Chase will be dead by the time this happens.

Comment by David4 – January 10, 2014 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • leave well enough alone

Comment by John Moshier – January 11, 2014 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved all of their vacation movies and especially Chirstmas vacation. We were hoping they would do another movie, but a series would be awesome. I think its a great idea. My whole family would watch.

Comment by Anonymous – January 11, 2014 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was really hoping they would make a Hawaiian Vacation Movie. So many opportunities for all out laughs.

Comment by Angel – January 14, 2014 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome idea!! I will actually watch it!

Comment by JennWilson – January 13, 2014 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Look, kids – Big Ben! Parliament!”

(Sorry, I just *had* to say that. )

Comment by AnnieM – January 14, 2014 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just call the show “the Griswolds”, that’s all you need.

Comment by Peter Van Gunst – February 15, 2014 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post