Exclusive

Exclusive: Fox's Broadchurch Adaptation Adds Jessica Lucas as Intrepid Reporter

Gracepoint Broadchurch Jessica LucasThe cast for Gracepoint, Fox’s 10-episode adaptation of the ITV crime drama Broadchurch, continues to grow.

Onetime Melrose Place resident Jessica Lucas is the latest addition, TVLine has learned exclusively, playing the role of reporter Renee Clemons.

RELATED | Nick Nolte Joins Fox’s Broadchurch Adaptation as a Series Regular

Formerly of the Bakersfield Mercury News and now a reporter for the San Francisco Chronicle, Renee thought the move to the big city would be a step up the career ladder — but things haven’t turned out that way. Previously she followed Detective Carver (played by Broadchurch’s David Tennant) on the Rosemont murders, and now she sniffs another big story with the death of a young boy named Danny Lasseter.

Lucas’ other TV credits include Cult, CSI, 90210 and the Canadian drama Edgemont.

Previously announced Gracepoint castings include Breaking Bad‘s Anna Gunn, as Carver’s partner Detective Ellie Miller; Michael Peña (Gangster Squad) as Danny’s father Mark; Kevin Zegers (Gossip Girl) as reporter Owen Burke; Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook) as mysterious RV park resident Susan Wright; and three-time Oscar nominee Nick Nolte, as wildlife observation program manager Jack Reinhold.

RELATED | Scoop: Marcia Cross Eyes TV Comeback as Fatrick‘s Mother in Fox Comedy Pilot

Gracepoint is scheduled to begin filming in January on Vancouver Island in Victoria, for broadcast during the 2014-2015 season.

1. Sam says:

Yet again I’d like to point out how misguided this is. If Tennant’s character had been the only one to transfer over, it could have worked. But him playing the same character while everyone and everything around him is slightly altered and Americanized? WHY?

• Tess says:

The weirder part is that he’s playing the same basic character with a different name (and accent) but yet his partner’s name is still Ellie Miller… It’s just strange how some characters are still the same names and all or just slightly altered to sound more “American” I guess. The cast may be sporting a lot of bigger-named actors, but Tennant still appears to be the only reason to tune in to this sure-to-pale-in-comparison remake.

2. Drew says:

Well I was a huge fan of Broadchurch … I’m not so sure how this will work, but I live in Victoria, BC and I’m thrilled they are filming it here… I just hope they change who the killer is… otherwise , we all will know its…………………………… ha ha ha…

3. DarkDefender says:

Is this an adaption or pretty much the same story. Since most have seen Broadchurch (which was brilliant) isn’t the cat out of the bag as to whodunit?

For me, anyways.. More David Tennant on my TV is always welcome, but it will be stale if this mirrors Broadchurch too much.

• Simon Jester says:

“Most” have seen Broadchurch? Much as I enjoyed the original — and think the remake somewhat pointless — let’s not even pretend that “most” American television viewers paid the least bit attention.

• DarkDefender says:

My point is, the audience for this kind of show.. Has already seen Broadchurch.

• soundscene says:

Not really. Broadchurch aired on BBC America in the United States. This will air on FOX. To say there is a general discrepancy in total viewers between the two networks is an understatement. “Most” who would watch this type of show probably didn’t even know Broadchurch aired in the States, or didn’t subscribe to BBC America and so couldn’t watch it.

• Lizzie says:

I think people are overthinking the Tennant appeal! As much as I love him the audience that’s going to watch this isn’t all Tennant appeal.

• M3rc Nate says:

Thats true. But i notice 2 things about being Americanized 1) Typically the writing suffers, is less original, and i imagine they will want to “think up something new” aka not just copy line for line everything, in turn ruining the show (The Walking Dead) and 2) So i guess everyone is gonna be Americanized gorgeous huh? Lol. I watch Broadchurch and i loved how everyone looks like normal people…some average, some goodish looking, some ugly, some meh…you know? Now its American and its gonna be “oh this is our little town newspaper delivery woman….Jessica Alba” lol.

Btw im American. Just in case anyone assumes im not.

• soundscene says:

I love David Tennant, but he isn’t Americanized gorgeous. Nor is Michael Pena, Nick Nolte or Jackie Weaver, if by “Americanized gorgeous” you mean the cast of any show on The CW.

• soundscene says:

I don’t think Tennant was cast because the producers thought he would bring in a huge audience. He will bring in some audience–I think part, but only part, of the reason he was cast was because he was one of the few in the original that was known in the United States (by means of Doctor Who). Probably the best U.S.-known in the Broadchurch cast. I think the other reason he was cast was because he’s just a great actor. The Gracepoint producers liked what he did with his Broadchurch character and wanted to replicate that.

4. AJ says:

I really hope they change the killer, otherwise there´s no point in watching.

• M3rc Nate says:

Issue is, who the killer was made it all the more insanely epic. I mean if it had been anyone else, it would have been “oh i didnt see that” but not as much of a connection…but cause of who it was.it was “OMG……WHAT?! I DIDNT SEE THAT! NOOOO…i FEEL SO BAD FOR HER!!!!!” you know?

5. Marion says:

And just for THAT I’m not watching.

6. Dave says:

i agree that more David Tennant is ALWAYS a good thing … but i really dislike the idea of a “Fox version” of a show as amazing as Broadchurch.

• DarkDefender says:

Point taken. Not to mention FOX would probably cancel it half way through the run because it is a literal adaption of Broadchurch and everyone knows who the killer is..

• James says:

It’s a summer show so it won’t get canceled midway. The 24 miniseries is slated for summer as well in Fox.

• soundscene says:

I get the impression this will be a limited-run series (like the original Broadchurch, which has yet to be renewed for a second series). With a set number of episodes, Fox is far more likely to let it run.

7. Jenna says:

I loved Broadchurch and this cast looks amazing, so I will most definitely tune in.

• DarkDefender says:

Me too.. But I think it will lose some of the great dramatic effect if the only thing they change are the names and the town.

8. Luna says:

I really like Jessica Lucas but she’s kinda like a show-killer, I hope with this she finally can get past that.

9. Ally Oop says:

What a waste of time this adaptation is. No need to make a new one! Just watch the darn original.

10. Drew says:

Shows are always remade for different countries. I think people are getting too wound up over it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Being Human is actually better than the UK version (which is also good) for example.
    Just view it as its own thing.

Also, don’t overestimate Tennant’s appeal. Most people in the US don’t watch Dr. Who. He is not an actor that they know or care about yet. Odds are, he was chosen to play this role for the same reason as anyone… he was the vest choice for the role. Not because of who he is. If you’d asked me a couple of months ago, I would have been more familiar with Jessica Lucas than David Tennant, who I only vaguely knew of. And I am a tv junky, not an average viewer.

• TV Gord says:

Shows were made for different countries when they weren’t traditionally seen globally. Broadchurch was available everywhere, so I fear this adaptation will just be an exercise in showing how watered-down U.S. versions tend to be, especially on network TV.

• Drew says:

I disagree on a couple of your points. Shows are remade even if the original is available. Again I refer to Being Human. Life on Mars. The list goes on.
        The show was on BBC America, right? Most people don’t go there often. A lot of people have a hard time understanding accents. A lot of people don’t like the pacing or look of foreign shows. There are a lot of reasons why people wouldn’t watch and a lot of reasons why a show would be remade.

I also disagree with the comment about US versions being watered down. This is not always true. I’m not even sure that it is usually true. I’ve seen US adaptations far surpass their UK origionals.

11. arial2 says:

The more I hear about the American version, the more it sounds like a complete copy of the BBC show. Please, can’t the show runners get writers with original thoughts? It seems Hollywood is now all about reissuing things that have already been done. I’d like more creativity, please.

• James says:

Tell that to those who had their own versions of Ugly Betty, The Nanny, and Boys Over Flowers overseas. It’s the new normal.

• soundscene says:

Different country, different sensibilities. If you’ve watched enough UK television and enough U.S. television, you’d know that the pacing, the humor, the general ambiance is different. Same with U.S. shows that get re-made in other countries for their audience. Most people in the U.S. did not watch Broadchurch and, unless I’ve been missing something, it’s not available to view right now on DVD or streaming. Moreover, even if it was, most people in the U.S. wouldn’t know it existed and so wouldn’t watch anyway. Being a TVLine reader, you know about Broadchurch. But what the avid TV fan knows and what the average TV viewer knows is completely different.
      It also won’t be a complete copy, because it will be geared towards American viewers. That means, as mentioned, different pacing, different mood, different ambiance, slightly (or largely) different characterizations. Even if all the lines were the same (which they won’t be), the show would be different.

12. Barbie says:

I never saw the original “Broadchurch” but I am absolutely LOVING “Gracepoint”! Such quality television. We don’t see much of that! Love David Tennant, this is the first time I’ve seen him. When the series is over, I’d love to see the original.