Ratings: Chicago P.D. Cops Good Numbers as Revolution and SVU Rise; People's Choice Drops

Ratings Revolution Chicago PDNBC’s Chicago P.D. premiered on Wednesday night to 8.6 million total viewers and a 2.0 demo rating, per finals, besting both Ironside‘s launch numbers (6.8 mil/1.4) and Chicago Fire‘s own fall 2012 debut in the time slot (6.4 mil/1.9).

It also marks this TV season’s No. 2-rated 10 pm freshman drama premiere.

PHOTOS | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 31 Returning Favorites

Opening NBC’s night, Revolution returned to 6.1 million viewers (up 13 percent) a 1.5 rating (up a tenth), while Law & Order: SVU surged 48 and 31 percent to 8.9 mil/2.1 (its best demo number since opening the season).

RELATED | Premiere Poll: Did NBC’s Chicago PD Force Arrest You?

CBS’ coverage of the People’s Choice Awards drew 10.2 million total viewers (its largest audience since 2010) and a 2.4 rating (down 11 percent year-over-year).

RELATED | People’s Choice Awards: Big Bang, Castle, Beast and Vampire Diaries Among Big Winners

Over on ABC, The Middle (8.8 mil/2.2) gained two tenths from its fall finale, an 8:30 helping of Super Fun Night (4.9 mil/1.5) demonstrated far less retention out of The Middle than Back in the Game (55 vs. 75 percent), Modern Family (9.5 mil/3.5) was flat and the regular Fun Night (4.9 mil/1.7) dipped a tenth.

1. Esaul says:

Loving the numbers for SVU and CPD.

2. JJM says:

How many episodes is Chicago P.D? If it’s 13 or below, is there any chance that if the show does well that NBC could order a possible back 9 to the current season?

3. How does this 2.0 makes CPD #2 in ranks for new freshman drama… It got beaten by Inteligence, Agents of SHIELD and The Blacklist (and these shows are from the top of my head). Though it’s really good numbers for both NBC and broadcast TV

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Sorry, Lubomir — the complete qualifier is “the No. 2 10 pm freshman drama premiere,” trailing only THE BLACKLIST. The story has been accordingly edited, post haste.

• Freckles says:

One could also say the number 2 freshman drama premiere on broadcast TV and number 1 freshman drama premiere on NBC in the year 2014 :). On the other hand NBC was preempted in Louisville and the CW in Birmingham, San Antonio and St. Louis for basketball.

4. wrstlgirl says:

Chicago P.D. was awesome just like I knew it would be :-)

5. MK says:

Yay for Chicago PD! Loved the episode, has great potential!

6. Elyse says:

So happy for Chicago PD! It deserves those numbers :) :)

7. Jake says:

I’m glad to see SVU’s numbers go up, but last nights episode was ridiculous. I had to stop and pause multiple times because it was frustrating to watch. hope this is the last we see of him, despite that ending.

8. Pat D. says:

SVU was overall well acted last night, particularly by the chilling Pablo—but man, Barba continues to be completely inept in court. How exactly did he graduate from Harvard Law and continues to get schooled by defendants representing themselves (for the first time!).

Also, I didn’t like that particularly cliched ending of the “fake medical issue prison escape”. You can do better than that, writers.

9. mandy says:

I’m excited about CPD. I hope it continues doing well when CSI returns. IMO, quality-wise, CPD is a much better show. We’ll see…

• Dean says:

Amen sister you actually see the cops do work instead of mumble science jargon 60% of an episode. Don’t get me wrong I watch csi but I think it’s why shows like SVU and NCIS have lasted this long and why Chicago fire is doing pretty well. they’re actual people who have issues and personal angst and are actually flesh and blood humans.

10. ro says:

Monroe = best part of Revolution.

11. Ally Oop says:

YAY! So happy to see how Revolution did. Coming out of midseason it was the show I was most anticipating. The series is so good right now and I want it to be renewed for next season. So much potential for future storylines I want to see the evolution of all the characters in the long term.

• wrstlgirl says:

I completely agree. Even Charlie is tolerable now :-) I haven’t had time to watch the episode yet but reading all these great comments has me anxious to get to it.

• Phantom says:

Agree 100 percent
      This is one of my favorite shows
      Hope they renew it again……like all characters…..especially Monroe and Charlie!!!

12. sarah says:

Chicago PD was so good!

13. sawyer says:

REVOLUTION Woo Hoo!
    Best part Mitchell and Lyons, just like a match to gasoline. The best one liners I have heard in awhile! I loved Sweet Home Alabama in spanish. LOL.

14. brycealexander says:

Should I watch Fire before I start PD?

• wrstlgirl says:

Well, there is a little background on CF but it’s really not necessary, you will be fine. I think everything will be explained well enough on CPD for the new viewer. BUT just for the simple fact that CF is awesome, YES you should watch it :-) :-)

• mandy says:

I don’t watch CF, but I am watching CPD; I’m just partial to cop shows. So I don’t think it’s necessary to watch both. I will just enjoy PD for what it is and expect background on the characters to take shape over time.

15. DavidSask says:

I haven’t watched it yet but CPD got help with its numbers with Sophia!

16. Patrick Maloney says:

Good to see Revolution up

17. Ange says:

Chicago PD was great! Like it far better than Chicago Fire.

18. Boiler says:

I didn’t watch CPD so don’t know how good it was. But don’t we have enough of these type of shows?? Watch Nashville when it gets back

19. Carlos Alvarez says:

Was a bit bored with Chicago P.D. until the last 15 minutes and then I was hooked. It got so good at the end. Can’t wait for next weeks episode

20. Bob Jones says:

I like Revolution; however, it is not really a good show – with most scifi/fantasy shows [except Game of Thrones/The Walking Dead/Person of Interest] ending or having non-sensical issues [Agents of SHIELD, Almost Human, Intelligence, etc], I will watch Revolution to the bitter end.

Like FlashForward, Dollhouse, and other Sci-Fi shows, either the lack of budget or the fear of dangerous ideas limits their effectiveness. Why watch POI when you can watch a Cop/Lawyer/Doctor show and not have to think.

I watched CPD, I had no idea I liked Melissa Sagemiller until they blew her head off [Damn, and she just got a haircut!]; Without Sophia Bush, the show is sort of a ‘Sausage-fest’, but what are you going to do.

• Phantom says:

Revolution is my favorite show……..I think it is a really, really, good show. I like that it is different from other shows on tv……..and all the characters are really good. So is the storyline.

21. Rich Abey says:

I still wonder why the hell do I watch the Peoples Choice Awards when I can simply get the list of winners online later? Maybe cause I wanted to see Stana Katic/Castle on stage winning the awards they’ve been nominated for. CBS is totally ruining the awards for me. It’s becoming less and less the “Peoples Choice Awards” & more the “CBI Choice Awards” as except for CW’s Vampire Diaries, none of the shows from networks outside the CBI got any stage time at all. 2 Broke Girls, Big Bang, Good Wife, Crazy Ones, etc, all of which are CBI shows were celebrated highly & lengthly, whereas shows like Castle (which won 2 major awards by the way) were allowed only a short 30 sec speech from Stana or none at all.

Why this bias? It’s been getting worse over the past 4 yrs. Maybe it’s time some other non-partial network get to host the awards…

22. Weezy says:

Pleasantly surprised by Chicago PD. Of course I liked Chicago Fire when it first started, but then it devolved into a kind of soap opera with ridiculously high stakes every episode just because…I don’t know maybe I”m too picky. But I really like Voight being the focus on Chicago PD b/c I’m hoping we will get an actual, grittier look into the mind of a dirty cop trying to clean up his act. So much better than having all these people who supposedly sacrifice themselves for random strangers over and over because it’s “their job”. I can promise you this isn’t even close to realistic and Chicago PD seems to be a little more complex.

23. pat says:

What’s going to happen with rizzoli &isles? That is a good show.