Ratings: Chicago P.D. Cops Good Numbers as Revolution and SVU Rise; People's Choice Drops

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Ratings Revolution Chicago PDNBC’s Chicago P.D. premiered on Wednesday night to 8.6 million total viewers and a 2.0 demo rating, per finals, besting both Ironside‘s launch numbers (6.8 mil/1.4) and Chicago Fire‘s own fall 2012 debut in the time slot (6.4 mil/1.9).

It also marks this TV season’s No. 2-rated 10 pm freshman drama premiere.

PHOTOS | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 31 Returning Favorites

Opening NBC’s night, Revolution returned to 6.1 million viewers (up 13 percent) a 1.5 rating (up a tenth), while Law & Order: SVU surged 48 and 31 percent to 8.9 mil/2.1 (its best demo number since opening the season).

RELATED | Premiere Poll: Did NBC’s Chicago PD Force Arrest You?

CBS’ coverage of the People’s Choice Awards drew 10.2 million total viewers (its largest audience since 2010) and a 2.4 rating (down 11 percent year-over-year).

RELATED | People’s Choice Awards: Big Bang, Castle, Beast and Vampire Diaries Among Big Winners

Over on ABC, The Middle (8.8 mil/2.2) gained two tenths from its fall finale, an 8:30 helping of Super Fun Night (4.9 mil/1.5) demonstrated far less retention out of The Middle than Back in the Game (55 vs. 75 percent), Modern Family (9.5 mil/3.5) was flat and the regular Fun Night (4.9 mil/1.7) dipped a tenth.

Comments (45)

• Loving the numbers for SVU and CPD.

Comment by Esaul – January 9, 2014 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How many episodes is Chicago P.D? If it’s 13 or below, is there any chance that if the show does well that NBC could order a possible back 9 to the current season?

Comment by JJM – January 9, 2014 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They did the same with castle

Comment by Dean – January 9, 2014 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Castle only had a 10 episode 1st season followed by a full 24 episode 2nd

Comment by Jared Munson – January 9, 2014 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That wouldn’t work, A) because of the time needed to write additional scripts, B) scheduling the filming, C) editing. More likely than not you’ll see an early renewal for fall.

Comment by Jared – January 9, 2014 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If CPD premiered in the fall, then yes that’s more than possible. Right now? That won’t happen despite how well it does in the upcoming weeks. Instead as mentioned, it will probably see an early renewal.

Comment by Esaul – January 9, 2014 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How does this 2.0 makes CPD #2 in ranks for new freshman drama… It got beaten by Inteligence, Agents of SHIELD and The Blacklist (and these shows are from the top of my head). Though it’s really good numbers for both NBC and broadcast TV

Comment by Lubomir Raykov – January 9, 2014 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, Lubomir — the complete qualifier is “the No. 2 10 pm freshman drama premiere,” trailing only THE BLACKLIST. The story has been accordingly edited, post haste.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 9, 2014 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • One could also say the number 2 freshman drama premiere on broadcast TV and number 1 freshman drama premiere on NBC in the year 2014 :). On the other hand NBC was preempted in Louisville and the CW in Birmingham, San Antonio and St. Louis for basketball.

Comment by Freckles – January 9, 2014 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chicago P.D. was awesome just like I knew it would be :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 9, 2014 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved every second of it! :D

Comment by Elyse – January 9, 2014 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Chicago PD! Loved the episode, has great potential!

Comment by MK – January 9, 2014 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for Chicago PD! It deserves those numbers :) :)

Comment by Elyse – January 9, 2014 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad to see SVU’s numbers go up, but last nights episode was ridiculous. I had to stop and pause multiple times because it was frustrating to watch. hope this is the last we see of him, despite that ending.

Comment by Jake – January 9, 2014 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SVU was overall well acted last night, particularly by the chilling Pablo—but man, Barba continues to be completely inept in court. How exactly did he graduate from Harvard Law and continues to get schooled by defendants representing themselves (for the first time!).

Also, I didn’t like that particularly cliched ending of the “fake medical issue prison escape”. You can do better than that, writers.

Comment by Pat D. – January 9, 2014 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited about CPD. I hope it continues doing well when CSI returns. IMO, quality-wise, CPD is a much better show. We’ll see…

Comment by mandy – January 9, 2014 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen sister you actually see the cops do work instead of mumble science jargon 60% of an episode. Don’t get me wrong I watch csi but I think it’s why shows like SVU and NCIS have lasted this long and why Chicago fire is doing pretty well. they’re actual people who have issues and personal angst and are actually flesh and blood humans.

Comment by Dean – January 9, 2014 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Monroe = best part of Revolution.

Comment by ro – January 9, 2014 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! So happy to see how Revolution did. Coming out of midseason it was the show I was most anticipating. The series is so good right now and I want it to be renewed for next season. So much potential for future storylines I want to see the evolution of all the characters in the long term.

Comment by Ally Oop – January 9, 2014 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. Even Charlie is tolerable now :-) I haven’t had time to watch the episode yet but reading all these great comments has me anxious to get to it.

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 9, 2014 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree 100 percent
      This is one of my favorite shows
      Hope they renew it again……like all characters…..especially Monroe and Charlie!!!

Comment by Phantom – January 10, 2014 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chicago PD was so good!

Comment by sarah – January 9, 2014 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • REVOLUTION Woo Hoo!
    Best part Mitchell and Lyons, just like a match to gasoline. The best one liners I have heard in awhile! I loved Sweet Home Alabama in spanish. LOL.

Comment by sawyer – January 9, 2014 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Should I watch Fire before I start PD?

Comment by brycealexander – January 9, 2014 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, there is a little background on CF but it’s really not necessary, you will be fine. I think everything will be explained well enough on CPD for the new viewer. BUT just for the simple fact that CF is awesome, YES you should watch it :-) :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 9, 2014 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t watch CF, but I am watching CPD; I’m just partial to cop shows. So I don’t think it’s necessary to watch both. I will just enjoy PD for what it is and expect background on the characters to take shape over time.

Comment by mandy – January 9, 2014 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched it yet but CPD got help with its numbers with Sophia!

Comment by DavidSask – January 9, 2014 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good to see Revolution up

Comment by Patrick Maloney – January 9, 2014 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree 100 percent

Comment by Phantom – January 10, 2014 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chicago PD was great! Like it far better than Chicago Fire.

Comment by Ange – January 9, 2014 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t watch CPD so don’t know how good it was. But don’t we have enough of these type of shows?? Watch Nashville when it gets back

Comment by Boiler – January 9, 2014 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t tell us what I watch.

Comment by Dean – January 10, 2014 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Do you mean ‘Don’t tell us what TO watch?’

Comment by Braddock – January 10, 2014 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thanks for the correction, darn typo.

Comment by Braddock – January 10, 2014 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That show ruined country music for me.

Comment by Sara – January 10, 2014 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was a bit bored with Chicago P.D. until the last 15 minutes and then I was hooked. It got so good at the end. Can’t wait for next weeks episode

Comment by Carlos Alvarez – January 9, 2014 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Revolution; however, it is not really a good show – with most scifi/fantasy shows [except Game of Thrones/The Walking Dead/Person of Interest] ending or having non-sensical issues [Agents of SHIELD, Almost Human, Intelligence, etc], I will watch Revolution to the bitter end.

Like FlashForward, Dollhouse, and other Sci-Fi shows, either the lack of budget or the fear of dangerous ideas limits their effectiveness. Why watch POI when you can watch a Cop/Lawyer/Doctor show and not have to think.

I watched CPD, I had no idea I liked Melissa Sagemiller until they blew her head off [Damn, and she just got a haircut!]; Without Sophia Bush, the show is sort of a ‘Sausage-fest’, but what are you going to do.

Comment by Bob Jones – January 9, 2014 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Revolution is my favorite show……..I think it is a really, really, good show. I like that it is different from other shows on tv……..and all the characters are really good. So is the storyline.

Comment by Phantom – January 10, 2014 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still wonder why the hell do I watch the Peoples Choice Awards when I can simply get the list of winners online later? Maybe cause I wanted to see Stana Katic/Castle on stage winning the awards they’ve been nominated for. CBS is totally ruining the awards for me. It’s becoming less and less the “Peoples Choice Awards” & more the “CBI Choice Awards” as except for CW’s Vampire Diaries, none of the shows from networks outside the CBI got any stage time at all. 2 Broke Girls, Big Bang, Good Wife, Crazy Ones, etc, all of which are CBI shows were celebrated highly & lengthly, whereas shows like Castle (which won 2 major awards by the way) were allowed only a short 30 sec speech from Stana or none at all.
    Why this bias? It’s been getting worse over the past 4 yrs. Maybe it’s time some other non-partial network get to host the awards…

Comment by Rich Abey – January 9, 2014 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pleasantly surprised by Chicago PD. Of course I liked Chicago Fire when it first started, but then it devolved into a kind of soap opera with ridiculously high stakes every episode just because…I don’t know maybe I”m too picky. But I really like Voight being the focus on Chicago PD b/c I’m hoping we will get an actual, grittier look into the mind of a dirty cop trying to clean up his act. So much better than having all these people who supposedly sacrifice themselves for random strangers over and over because it’s “their job”. I can promise you this isn’t even close to realistic and Chicago PD seems to be a little more complex.

Comment by Weezy – January 10, 2014 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s going to happen with rizzoli &isles? That is a good show.

Comment by pat – January 10, 2014 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post