Boardwalk Empire's End Date Announced: Season 5 Will Be HBO Drama's Last

Get More: Cancellations, News

boardwalk-empire-season-4-finale-recapEven Prohibition had to end, Nucky: Boardwalk Empire‘s upcoming fifth season will be its last, HBO announced Thursday.

The Emmy-winning drama’s final season will bow this fall.

RELATED | Boardwalk Empire Creator Terence Winter Reveals Why [Spoiler] Had to Die and Who Will (and Won’t) Be Back for Season 5

“After much discussion with my creative team and HBO, we’ve decided to wrap the series after such a great run and look forward to bringing it to a powerful and exciting conclusion,” series creator Terence Winter said in a statement.

Comments (71)

• Glad they get to wrap things up. Kinda saw it coming. The ratings have fallen and last season was so so compared to previous seasons.

Comment by jwb – January 9, 2014 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank god that “quality shows” like Mike& Molly will make it to season 5…oh no, dont get me wrong, i do watch Mike and Molly, cuz it puts me straight to sleep after work…its sad that America finally has succumbed to what it always wanted: a population of fat rednecks with no culture or history knowledge….let alone class…a population that breaths in and breaths out, and it seems even that will become too hard to achieve…rot in peace America!

Comment by TY – March 23, 2014 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All good things must end such as Glades, AHS, SOA, Breaking Bad, BE and Mad Men. So far I have one season left of BE and SOA so that leaves Walking Dead and Vikings. Not much drama shows worth watching, netflix here I come!

Comment by Joey – March 29, 2014 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mixed feelings about this one. I like shows that are finite, but Boardwalk actually feels like it has a lot more story it can tell, particularly in areas like the rise of Al Capone. I’d always assumed they’d at least go up until the Stock Market Crash– maybe Season 5 will cover a lot more time?

Comment by Geo – January 9, 2014 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nucky’s story will end and in real life, Johnson (the character Thompson is based on) isn’t criminally charged until at least 1931 and Season 4 was 1924… So I’m curious what they’re gonna do differently. Either way I’m thinking the potential for a spin off about Capone, Luciano, and Lansky is there. And as much as I love Nucky’s story, I want to see the story continue about Luciano cause he truly was a King among Kings.

Comment by Chris – March 28, 2014 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I enjoy Boardwalk Empire and would like more seasons, I do appreciate the heads-up that it will be ending and a final season will wrap up ongoing story lines.

Comment by Bernadette – January 9, 2014 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh no! I thought they’d end with season 6. Not too happy about this.

Comment by Teag – January 9, 2014 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad to see it come to an end. I really loved this show :(

Comment by tres – January 9, 2014 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The only show I really enjoyed on HBO will end! Very few movies shown on HBO appeal to me. I guess I’ll drop HBO and switch to another movie provider!

Comment by James Collis – April 11, 2014 04:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Usually I’m happy when shows set an end date in advance but I’m not so sure with Boardwalk, even this season it still felt like it was just setting up stuff for the future not like it is nearing its climax/ending

Comment by Simon – January 9, 2014 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supposedly, Winters was only signed on for five seasons, so this really isn’t a major surprise, especially considering the recent rumors.

Comment by heLLpaso – January 9, 2014 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What rumors are you talking about?

Comment by Riley – January 10, 2014 12:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That he is producing another show for HBO about rock stars in the 70′s with martin scorsese and mick jagger. bobby carnivale is going to be the lead actor.

In other words, he got bored with BE and found a way out. Really disappointing considering how good this show was getting and how much story remains. I feel kind of cheated.

Comment by mike c – January 10, 2014 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s really disappointing.

Comment by R. Aballe – February 21, 2014 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Wow this is disappointing. I hear you on the cheated. I felt cheated when they ended Glades so suddenly with no warning.

Comment by RapidCity – February 22, 2014 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I just could not believe “the glades ” left us hanging like that after all the emphasis in the plot on those two being together kinda rude to the audience (you know us ).lol the people who watch and then support all those sponsors hee hee. The BBC canceled Copper practically in mid sentence. I sent them a nasty gram big deal. Also I was watching Republic of Doyle on the CW and poof its gone. I know its about ratings but jeeeez ….thanks for the sounding board. I feel a little better now.

Comment by juli Latimer – April 1, 2014 09:37 PM PDT
  • I think there will be a considerable time jump-maybe even to 1930 or 1931.

Comment by EJ – January 9, 2014 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Leave me wanting more…I’m bummed, but also somewhat relieved. The show has been stellar from day one – go out before you fizzle out.

Comment by chris – January 9, 2014 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They were getting into the mid 20′s… Time to wrap it..

Comment by drhenning – January 9, 2014 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought this was the worst news I had heard all day. And then I found out Justified is calling it quits after their next season. DAY. RUINED. No more Breaking Bad, no more Mad Men, no more Justified, no more Boardwalk Empire, no more Sons of Anarchy, no more Dexter. That really doesn’t leave many dramas left for 2015-2016. Ohhh, and isn’t AHS calling it quits next season too? Or is that just Jessica Lang who is calling it quits? The future of dramas is looking bleak. I hope Masters of Sex can at least keep up the high quality it exhibited in its first season. And with luck, Homeland will get back on track. But without Brody, I’m not holding my breath on that one.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 10, 2014 12:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t disagree completely in regards to losing a lot of dramas – that is definitely happening. But for 2015-16 I still see “The Americans” being around, if Bryan Fuller has his way Hannibal will also be around. If the networks/writers do a good job, Orange is the New Black may also be there along with Masters of Sex, not sure if Rectify will have ended before then.

Hopefully True Detective does really well and some new stuff gets started up (almost forgot about “Better call Saul”), we may hit a lull but I have confidence in a few networks (AMC kind of, FX, HBO, NBC gets a few gems) and high quality show runners for great TV to keep going in the future.

Comment by charliepage – January 10, 2014 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I applaud their decision, I always love when shows decide to not drag their story for many seasons. Decide to end it when the show is still interesting and plan a final season before it begins. And it really has been one of the best series of the last 5 years.

Comment by c – January 10, 2014 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty much a good idea. The show has gotten pretty repetitive and tiresome.

Comment by Ginger Snap – January 10, 2014 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Boardwalk Empire….”repetitive and tiresome!!!!!” Really?

Comment by Nick – March 7, 2014 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i guessed it was the shows time after a mediocre last season but at least this means we will hopefully get a great season filled with surprises and more than likely deaths. but after Richard harrow’s death (without a doubt the strongest character on there) i figured it didn’t have much life left in it.

Comment by sarah – January 10, 2014 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I was kind of hoping he was just having a near death experience and not done with the show. If they were going to end it this season they could have kept him around. Might have been nice to see him have a happy/nice life after all he had been through.

Comment by RapidCity – February 22, 2014 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will miss Boardwalk Empire. The cast did a great job. I do think that it will be time to wrap the show up. It is truly a class act of a show

Comment by Timot – January 10, 2014 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After the way last season ended (Richard Harrow’s death) I was going to stop watching it but if this is the last season i may binge watch when it’s all done.

Comment by Richard Harrow – January 10, 2014 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I meant Devious Maids before when I just emailed this question. When do they return and for how many shows and how can I contact the network? No one ever answered my question I asked the same one, back a few monhsao

Comment by Sandi Greever – January 11, 2014 03:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • maybe because of spelling?

Comment by irene p. pace – February 3, 2014 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very disappointed with the writers. They let this one go on for too long without the help of at least a mediocre character. After season 2, it was clear it was over.
    I look at Boardwalk Empire as 2 seasons, and maybe the first few episodes of season 3. After that, it becomes a cringeworthy idea of good writing. It becomes plot more than character, and if I recall, Scorsese favors character. To deform Scorsese’s very words like the writers did should be a real wake up call. Listen to the pros.

I loved this show, and now I hate it. I feel like my own enemy saying that… but I mean it.

Comment by Don Skuza – January 12, 2014 04:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow…not even a “mediocre character in B.E after season 2…..”Cringeworthy”, “loved it and now hate it” Sounds like you think you should be writing your own series.

Comment by Nick – March 7, 2014 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the show very much but last season really deviated from the original plot and I didn’t like it at all. The show worked best when it stayed centered around Nucky Thompson. Last season the show seemed to be more focused on Chalky. They lost me after a few episodes. They never resolved what happened with Nucky and his wife, they just left too much hanging and started on a storyline that didn’t grab you.

Comment by Sue Leber J (@suzyljank) – January 13, 2014 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this is a bad move. Season 4 was disappointing but don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater. This is still the best mob series of all-time IMO.

Comment by Marz Nova – January 13, 2014 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought they’d go up until prohibition ended.

Comment by Joe – January 14, 2014 04:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only have HBO so I can watch Boardwalk Empire. After season five it looks like my cable bill will go down.

Comment by Shane – January 15, 2014 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why are paying for cable so many free websites with Boardwalk or just about any other show on them ad free…www.couchtuner.com for example.

Comment by J – March 17, 2014 12:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boardwalk Empire- one of the best shows on Television or in the Movies. Always good to go out on top- just hope they do justice bringing roaring 20s to an end. Show was excellent in entangling fiction and non-fiction and got viewers interested in a bygone era- can you say anything more! Probably needs more than 12 episodes in final season to wrap everything up properly!

Comment by Forrestfreedman – January 16, 2014 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone who says these last couple seasons werent that great are completely unaware of what they are talking about, these last couple seasons have been amazing! And all of you seem to forget that this is a true story about ATLANTIC CITY in the prohibition era. The show will go up until prohibition ends, and Nucky goes to jail. The show isnt about Chicago and al capone. If that were the case it wouldnt be called BOARDWALK Empire. This was an amazing series and people, consider the fact that its a true story. P.S. I do agree with everyone who said Richard harrows death was an upset, all though he was a fictional character

Comment by lil rue – January 17, 2014 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Here here!

Comment by Nick – March 7, 2014 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was sad losing him, he was awesome!

Comment by Sista Bobbi – March 20, 2014 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t understand how anyone who is a fan of this show could bash these last couple of seasons. Boardwalk Empire isn’t some silly network series with writing that has intentional cliffhangers at the end if each episode just to keep you interested like a lot of the crap out there. The pacing and the quality of the show has always been high level. The dialogue alone is extremely rich and enjoyable. I love just listening to conversations between Nucky and Rothstein or Luciano and Lansky and let’s not forget those epic Godfather esque sit downs with Joe Masseria, Al Capone, Torrio… This show is legendary and the way I see it, it’s a tragedy that it is coming to and end but we have 5 seasons of the best coverage of the prohibition era ever with in depth looks at historical mob figures. Jimmy Darmoy’s death was difficult to digest but get over it. The show has the stones to kill off main character and make things unpredictable.

Comment by Al bats – January 19, 2014 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Here here!!!!!

Comment by Nick – March 7, 2014 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally Agree!!! You covered this nicely Al Bats, thank you, nothing else needs to be said!

Comment by Sista Bobbi – March 20, 2014 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very great show but not a true story at all it is looselyy based on a real guy but very loosely

Comment by jason – January 21, 2014 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • is a person able to get tours of the boardwalk empire set ?

Comment by matt – January 27, 2014 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i wish they do a spin off series with Al Capone that was great acting by the fellas in Chicago and make him my new Tony soprano now !!!

Comment by Alex@nder – January 27, 2014 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boardwalk has sucked ever since they killed off the only good character (Jimmy)

Comment by Dean – January 28, 2014 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jimmy was a mutt person always back stabbing and thinking the world owed him something lol then when he got his power position things fell apart because under pressure he cracked, glad to see him gone and his mother a junkie in the ditch begging for change

I agree it would be cool to see a few different spin off series from this

Comment by Matt – January 28, 2014 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Give me a break…Jimmy “the only good character”. Jimmy was a well constructed character however the writers must be applauded rousingly to have the courage to write him out and THAT’s why B.E. is so good!

Comment by Nick – March 7, 2014 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry To say, but Jimmy was weak, but I loved that they had the balls to have Nucky to kill him, that was brilliant! I was totally glued at that point!

Comment by Sista Bobbi – March 20, 2014 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ALL of the seasons were excellent imo. The agent that controlled Nucky’s brother, Pearnsley turning on Chalky, what was there not to like? I also was intrigued by the war between Chalky and Dr. Narcisse. It’s not often men of color display that type of power and influence in these shows. Narcisse was a great addition: an intellectual and a thug all in one. My heart broke when Chalky’s daughter was accidentally killed. The fight to the death between the FBI agent and Nucky’s brother was one for the ages. 5 will go out with a bang!

Comment by Truth Heals – January 31, 2014 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not happy about the ending of Boardwalk Empire..So like HBO to take all the shows I like.They ended Deadwood which was another one of my favorite shows. Why can’t they make a series that stays like some of the comedy shows on the network channels that stay on for years and years?

Comment by J.R. – February 3, 2014 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like all these people wrote, I too was sad Richard was killed off but for me the killing of Frank Capone saddened me even more. The relationship between Frank and Al was so much fun, made so by Stephen Graham (who is great in everything) and Morgan Specter. I haven’t seen a bad guy having so much fun being bad since Richard Widmark as Tommy Udo in Kiss of Death.
    With Eli going to Chicago, season 5 should be a blast with Al,Eli and of course Nelson. What a trio of great characters

Comment by Craig Fabian – February 4, 2014 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is just awful. There is so much story left to tell. The rise of Lucciano to become the original gangster, Bugsy Segal, Nucky goes to prison, etc, etc. No way they can give these storylines their due in one season. I support not dragging out a series; however, there is so much true story here left to tell that it bums me to see this top notch series come to a premature end.

And FYI, this past season was just as good as any other in my opinion. I have no idea why ratings were down. Boardwalk is one of the 3 best shows on tv, simple as that.

Comment by Blake – February 5, 2014 05:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS IS BULLCRAP

Comment by Dustin – February 7, 2014 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED THIS SHOW

Comment by Dustin – February 7, 2014 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All the shows I love get canceled one by one -.- It sucks ass to be a loving follower of real quality these days!

Comment by Arild Fredheim – February 7, 2014 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I can live through Breaking Bad coming to an end, I can take this in stride just fine.

Comment by scott – February 8, 2014 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Broadwalk Empire was such a great series in terms of avoiding cliche and so often surprising and shocking the viewer. Never did it sink into melodrama and whilst there were a few slower patches it moved along with a pace that few American programmes match. However, I have watched far too many series pass their sell-by date and become derivative so I have high hopes for this final season.

Comment by Nariman Dubash – February 15, 2014 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the best shows ever. Sad to see it go, it was like a time capsule. There was so much more they could have done with it.

Comment by Mark Myers – February 15, 2014 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gutted its ending this season, love this show..

Comment by Sean – February 18, 2014 03:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • after Boardwalk Empire is completed, I have no reason to main my HBO acct.

Comment by fran greenspon – February 18, 2014 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I would have liked to have two more seasons, instead of just one more. Maybe, just maybe…they will wedge in some extra episodes to compensate? As long as the writers seamlessly tie things up in a way that is both entertaining and makes sense — I’ll be fine. HBO MUST get their act together when taking the dive into these epic series — there should be better planning with a pre-defined time allotment and contracts (6 seasons, for example). It was a shame what happened to ROME — only two seasons; and THAT was a terrific series on many levels.

Comment by Mark – February 27, 2014 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The character Nucky Thompson was going nowhere, although i enjoy the show i’m glad its coming to an end. For me, Van Alden is the most fascinating character so i can’t wait to see whats in store for him.

Comment by ruth – March 3, 2014 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boardwalk Empire needs to be in every serious collection. Its right up there with The Godfather, Scarface, The Sopranos, etc.

Comment by Frankie Bags – March 16, 2014 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoy the show and while this news sounds final I wonder why the press release. Is it PR to get more of an audience and could they change their minds later? Who knows. I will enjoy this series just like the past ones.

Comment by Mongo – March 27, 2014 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A gem in the wasteland of American pop culture, able to take its place with superb, complex dramas like the Sopranos and Breaking Bad. The writers have been capable of the most brutal cynicism and some of the most affecting poetry that I’ve seen on screen; the death of Richard Harrow surpassed even that of Mike Ehrmentraut for soul-shrivelling pathos and understated tragic beauty. Every main character on B.E. is damaged in some way, and that is the engine of their doomed interactions. Kudos to the writers, the designers and of course to the actors who breathe life into their creations. I’ll be sorry to see Boardwalk Empire come to an end.

Comment by CB – April 4, 2014 04:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Went down hill after Jimmy was killed off. But was still one of the best series out there, and I was looking forward to seeing the rise of Capone and Lucky…but I guess that’s not going to happen now..

Comment by NPDM – April 11, 2014 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s sad to see such an iconic show end, the era is one to reflect on. the cloths are great, the music is upbeat and the cars can never be replaced. an era long gone but not forgotten. it would be awesome, to see them roll right into Al Capone’s story.

Comment by jerry immersi – April 11, 2014 05:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post