Ratings: NCIS Hits a High, Intelligence Opens Strong, Killer Women Shoots Blanks

Ratings Killer Women PremiereABC’s Killer Women missed the target with its Tuesday night bow, drawing barely 4 million total viewers with a 0.9 demo rating, per finals.

That falls well shy of the numbers put up by both time slot predecessor Lucky 7 (which debuted to a 4.4 mil/1.3 and got axed a week later) and the Body of Proof series finale (7.6 mil/1.2).

PHOTOS | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 31 Returning Favorites

Opening ABC’s night, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. returned to 6.6 mil and a 2.2 rating, adding a few viewers versus its fall finale and a tenth in the demo. The Goldbergs (5.4 mil/1.7) inched up a tenth, while Trophy Wife (3.9 mil/1.1) ticked down.

RELATED | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Recap: Coulson’s Resurrection Revealed

Over on CBS, the news was much better. NCIS (20.8 mil/3.0) drew its largest audience of the season and rose a tenth in the demo. The Intelligence preview — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “B-“ — retained 16.5 mil/2.4, making it this TV season’s most watched series launch; it makes its regular time slot premiere Monday at 10. Person of Interest (12.1 mil/2.0) matched its most recent numbers.

POLL | CBS’ Intelligence: Boot It Up or Give It the Boot?

Fox’s Dads (3.7 mil/1.5) and The Mindy Project (2.6 mil/1.3) each added some viewers and a tenth in the demo, Brooklyn Nine-Nine (3.5 mil/1.5) dipped a tenth and New Girl (3.2 mil/1.6) slipped three tenths.

NBC’s The Biggest Loser (5.4 mil/1.7) fell three tenths, while Chicago Fire‘s first Voice-free outing of the season (6.9 mil/2.0) was down two tenths.

1. Katherine215 says:

Really disappointed to see those numbers for Killer Women. I actually really enjoyed the episode and thought there was a lot there to like. Stupid viewers. :(

• Kim R says:

I enjoyed it as well, especially for a pilot. I always allow for some rough edges when it is the first time out of the gate and I would definitely give it a change.

• catelyn says:

Yes, stupid viewers. Nevermind that people probably saw the ad and just thought it was boring.

• John 1138 says:

The premise looks off-putting I expect: eight one-acts and then gone?

Why bother?

I watched and thought it okay for a pilot but nothing amazing.

• Ally Oop says:

So is it more of a procedural then? I have it sitting on my pvr but if it’s only gonna be a story-of-the-week type show I might not bother. Too many other shows on my docket right now.

• John 1138 says:

That’s what I took away from reafing a description of the show somewhere. And I think that would fit with the very short run.

I could be wrong.

Anybody else?

• Loki says:

Killer Women was much better than Intelligence.
      Intelligence was boring and derivative despite good performances from Meghan and Josh.
      Killer Women was really refreshing and exciting.
      Tricia Helfer was awesome and it’s nice to see her and othe BSG folk on tv again. Admittedly the show has a bit of ‘Latin Campiness’ to overcome but once you get around that (and if the story/writing improves), it could be like another Closer.

2. Joe says:

Abc pissed off a lot of people by their crappy treatment of other shows ( rip body of proof , the b in apt 23 & happy endings) so the ratings have been tanking this year

3. Apples says:

I saw the awful KW trailer and knew it would be car-crash bad on arrival. I am not surprised. Shame as I like both Marc Blucas and Tricia Helfer. Oh well.
    It’ll be interesting to see what Intelligence does pitted against hot new thing The Blacklist and old faithful Castle. Three procedurals going head-to-head-to-head.

• Christina says:

I’m kind of mad it’s pitted against The Blacklist and Castle, as I’d ideally like to watch all three and now I have to choose 2. And clearly going to go with the ones I’ve already been watching, unless Intelligence gets great reviews for the next few eps.

• Apples says:

Yeah I dunno why they’re going after the same-ish audience. I know Hostages (serialized drama) didn’t work there, but surely they could’ve done a different type of program? I guess H50 did OK for them in that timeslot for years.
        I expect Castle to steam along OK, but maybe Intelligence will cannibalize some viewers from The Blacklist. Who knows.

• Daven C says:

Not bloody likely, Apples. If viewers are going to hemorage, it isn’t going to be from Blacklist.
          I expect this show, which I had hoped would be great, to go down it a flaming pile of poo within a few weeks unless they keep it on a different night. The Castle and Blacklist followings are too strong.

• Rich Abey says:

True that. James Spader fronted shows rarely endure a sharp drop in viewers. Besides Castle would sooner have Pi become a fan-favorite than lose viewers to a rival show. The list of shows that had to move time-slots cause they were bleeding viewers when competing directly with Castle at Monday 10pm…Revolution, Hawai 50 to name a few of a more well-known ones.

• Rich Abey says:

I, for one, will be watching Castle…as Always! Besides unlike the Blacklist, which captured my attention from the very first scene (watched online..DVR’ed afterwards), Intelligence was’t really in my game zone.

• Avery says:

seriously people get a clue and learn how to watch episodes free on the internet. they are everywhere. what is this choosing between shows nonsense..?

• Ana says:

If they have 3 shows on at the same time, we solved the problem with a DVR…you set to record the show to record new and at any time and it’ll pick up where they show them at odd times. We never have to miss any of the shows when the idiotic networks pit them against each other.

• cb says:

I was really annoyed to see that it will be regularly seen on Monday at 10. My DVR is taken up by both Castle and Blacklist. I thought I was in the clear after Hostages ended, but now I’ll have to see if Intelligence is available On Demand or streaming on CBS. I like what I’ve seen so far, but won’t bump either of the other shows from my DVR for it.

• Avery says:

• c-mo says:

Ummmm….it’s never going to go up against Castle, they’re on the same network. Now, I’m sure ABC is hoping that they attract the same viewers because two charming and hot men are staring, Michael Trucco and Marc Blucas but I don’t think that even they can save this show.

• TV Scout says:

There may be a miscommunication here – I think you may be referring to Killer Women and Castle being on the same network [ABC], but the original post (from ‘Apples’ up-thread) was meant to note that CBS’ new Intelligence would be up against Castle and Blacklist this coming Monday at 10pm.

• c-mo says:

My apologies, I did misread Apples’ original post…guess I was so disappointed in KW and the way they wasted their talented cast that it affected my reading abilities.

4. Mara says:

Killer Women was great and a show I will definitely continue to watch. Give it a chance!!

5. dru says:

New Girl has lost so many viewers

• enri says:

I loved new girl last season…just not feeling it this season. I am loving the Mindy project this season though.

• Jen says:

I completely agree. Now Mindy Project is the must watch for me, and I only watch New Girl if there’s nothing else to do.

• Ames says:

Yup…It used to be New girl then the Mindy Project but MP is soooo much better than NG now. I would not miss MP but I really don’t look forward to NG anymore. It makes me wonder if I would feel the same way about MP if they got Dr.L and Dr. C together though. Maybe it would ruin the show for me. I don’t know if that is what is killing the New Girl or not but it is definitely not as good this year

• Lecholls says:

I’m sad that all the Fox comedies were down so much. And I thought B99, New Girl, and Mindy were all really a good episodes. I don’t think Fox is promoting them very well.

6. Jacqueline says:

Tricia Helfer is a good actor. The Texas accent was bad. The lone woman against the men theme is not new especially in Texas. The plot was predictable as well.

7. Daisy says:

KW had way too much competition (Chicago Fire, Person of Interest, Justified) and the promos did nothing to make me give up one of my valuable DVR spots despite how much I like the actors in the show. I plan (as I guess many others do) on catching it on On Demand. Also, what a really dumb title. If they did anything wrong outside of those pandering promos, it was the awful title.

8. meah says:

Am so pissed at Abc,why would they put a new show(killer women) after trophy wife that isn’t performing well,they’ve basically killed the show and I really liked it.
    The chemistry between tricia and the DEA agent was really,the show had promise

9. Riana says:

The Real question is pretty little liars

10. Ems says:

Good numbers for Intelligence, despite college basketball preempting it where I am (Raleigh, NC area). POI was also preempted.

11. Dav says:

Anyone who thought Killer Women would succeed is a fool. Please put this show out of it’s misery ASAP so Helfer can get a spot on a better show!

12. April says:

I thought Intelligence was kind of meh. Not interesting enough to give up my valuable DVR space.

13. Jamie says:

Intelligence was another typical CBS show. Not terrible but not great. No surprise it did well after NCIS. The real test will be next Monday.

• Larc says:

Lots of people who hadn’t bothered to check TV listings were probably expecting NCIS: LA and then stuck around for Intelligence. As you say, next Monday should be a truer indicator.

14. Joe says:

I dropped New Girl with coach coming back , and nick and Jess dating it lost something

• Apples says:

Yeah Nick and Jess dating has really killed it (and the writers butchered Schmidt, my favourite character). I quit earlier this season. It lost the funny.

15. JJ says:

ABC really needs a reboot. Maybe (another) spin-off from Grey’s? Once in Wonderland, Killer Woman, Lucky 7 and nearly all of there comedy’s are failling. Please ABC, do somethig drastic!

Good for Intelligence, but doubtfull it will be succesfull in its monday timeslot. Shield gets better, but still weak.

• They did something drastic. They cancelled BOP. There are a lot of really loyal fans who vowed to not watch any new shows on ABC this year. And from the ratings it looks like those fans stuck with it. Personally the only show I watch on ABC is Castle. I’m a mom with young kids so my viewing time is limited. I’m not wasting it on ABC.

16. Ashley says:

Wasn’t this a show previously called CHASE?

17. Marc says:

I saw a version of the Tricia Helfer pilot last summer and thought it okay but nothing special or original. Until they said it was for ABC, I figured it was light procedural fare for USA, TNT, A&E, or Lifetime. Whatever edge that a little some adult language and themes could add to the vanilla cop show is impossible on broadcast television, not that some swearing would turn it into Justified. So, no surprise at the numbers last night.

18. Badpenny says:

Killer Women hit every cliche in the book last night. Hot cop, check. Hot criminal, check. Hot criminal coerced into doing crime, check. Cop divisions disliking each other, check. Tragic life story for heroine, check. Heroine goes on commando raid to save the day, check.
    I wanted to like it, but came away feeling incredibly average about it in a seen-it-all-before way. I don’t expect network TV to be overly original but I don’t expect it to be completely cliche either.

• V says:

Exactly! They had every cliche in the book in that one episode. Also, you forgot heroine getting intel from her hot boyfriend who works in another department.

19. V says:

KW was horrible!!! I tired to give it a chance but after 30 mins I had to turn it off! Predictable plot, so-so acting, and horrible Texas accents. I’ll be surprised if ABC shows all 8(?) episodes. Thank you but I’ll stick with Justified.

20. barbara says:

all the cbs shows were good. person of interest my favorite but showing less of john but i see he’s making movies. hope he doesn’t pull a david caruso leave a hit show to do movies then bombs. liked intelligence but putting against castle afraid my castle will come first!!!!!!!

21. Dee says:

Eh, Intelligence was okay. Ain’t no way I will tune in on Mondays, though. That spot belongs to Blacklist.

22. Fernando says:

Man Chicago Fire deserve more viewers and demo then that, I wish it could have been doing the same as it was with the voice plus it was trending on Twitter two hours before the show even started

23. cjeffery7 says:

crossing my fingers for Intelligence to hang on to decent numbers on Monday nights… there’s gonna be a noticeable crash in ratings after airing behind the CBS comedy block….

24. Esaul says:

Not all that surprised with S.H.I.E.L.D.’s numbers anymore. I just wonder if ABC will renew based on this and if so will the show get retooled?

• xx says:

Is SHIELD really in that much danger? It got the best demo of the night (on ABC) by a decent margin. I get that it might be expensive, but it’s also a massive advertisement for their related film franchise…

• Esaul says:

Honestly, no it’s not in that much danger. ABC will more than likely renew it despite the ratings. Is it what they wanted the show to be? Far from it. They did a lot of promotion and got little back in exchange for it. I think their best interest in renewing the show is to do a heavy overhaul for a second season. If Marvel wasn’t owned by Disney and if ABC wasn’t under the same branch as Disney, then the show wouldn’t make it for a second season. It’s perfectly safe as an ABC show. I’d be surprised if ABC chose to cancel it.

• Esaul says:

Also: I’d expect them to invest interest in another night. Tuesday isn’t working for S.H.I.E.L.D.

25. Donna says:

Story a little old. Beautiful detective but tough. Powerful soon to be ex. Woman in man’s world….well great. 30 mins in sex scene w her sleep n with DA type to get info. Just dn mesh. In plain sight and US marshalls did it so much better. I thought female lead overacting…try n to hard to be tough. I went to bed at 10:45. Really did not care why the woman did it. Too much for one epp. Famiy living situation, drama w neices, powerful ex, relationship w DA type. Then tuff war w police then fatherly type who has back as boss, throw in garden party w old guard types and hold on….was there a crime committed that we were suppose to watch get solved. U can c did not leave impression…cant even remember character names. Will watch if up and nothing else on. They really need to bring back body of proof.

26. Bad Break-up says:

I am done with ABC partially because if the whole “wait 8 days to see the latest episode” development. I am a Full-time Masters student and working full-time, so time is limited and I don’t get a chance to watch it “live”. I used to watch an episode of Scandal, Grey’s, OUAT, etc. on the ABC app or via SprintTV while laying in bed at night before falling asleep. I will probably continue with the three shows listed above, but why the hell should I invest more time and energy into a new show when I won’t be able to keep up with the story line? On the off chance I can watch an epi live, I’ll still be a week behind because I missed last week’s epi and it isn’t avail for streaming.

ABC, we once had a great relationship, however, now it seems we have different needs and wants. It’s time we part ways; it’s you, not me.

27. Sheldon W. says:

I could not believe that Killer Women was supposed to be a drama. Epic fail.

28. Weezy says:

Great looks like we are going to be stuck with another propaganda laced, unrealistic, and downright laughable look into what “government agencies” are doing for a decade thanks to the strong numbers for Intelligence. CBS go to shtick…and people just keep watching. I guess watching TV and pretending it’s anything close to reality is more palpable than actually becoming informed and trying to improve our future outlook.

29. DavidSask says:

I couldn’t get though to end of Killer Women is anyone shocked its DOA? Intelligence is not original will stick around for awhile if they change it to another night but if it stays on Mondays it will be dead as well!

30. Maryann says:

This one lost me on the logline last pilot season with “beautiful badass.” That vision of women is just so much a male fantasy rather than the empowering of real women, even beautiful ones. That cocky, jaunty attitude of the lead loses me. The whole thing just feels disrespectful to women, and so seventies rather than today.

31. liz says:

I’ll continue to watch Tricia Helfer in anything she does. She’s remarkable

32. N tTVf says:

Regarding the future of Intelligence – here’s what we want to look for in the numbers next Monday night. Clearly, there will be a ratings/viewers drop this coming Monday – the numbers last night/Tues. of 16.5m viewers will be impossible to match next Monday.

That said, the ‘demo’ rating number of 2.4 is really the number to watch – if Intelligence can get something in that ballpark of 2.2 to 2.3, that might be good enough to keep rolling and try to build on the audience over time. Hawaii Five-0 was getting 8-9m viewers and a 2.0 demo rating last May in this Monday 10pm slot. Intelligence should be able to beat that demo number next Monday night. If it can, all should be good. Building upon the ‘Mom’ lead-in demo of 1.9-2.0, and do better than what Hostages has been able to deliver.

So, I’m looking for something around 7.5m/2.3 – 7.5 million viewers, and a 2.3 18-49 demo rating. Anything better than that, and there might be dancing in the hallways of CBS. If the numbers come in less than that (and I don’t think they will), it will be [very] disappointing.

Bottom line – must get those numbers back to the level that Five-0 was delivering last May 2013… at the very least. Anything more than that, and Intelligence will be on the right track.

33. Boiler says:

Please move Trophy Wife to Wednesday and get rid of Fun Night

• N tTVf says:

Fun Night will be leaving the stage soon – ABC is burning off episodes at this point. Suburgatory returns to 8:30/Wed next week, and the new comedy series ‘Mixology’ moves into the 9:30/Wed time slot soon after.

Trophy Wife may be stuck – 9:30 Wed for the rest of the way. Hopefully it has enough gas [and ratings] to make the May Upfront cut for Fall’14. Much will depend upon the ABC pilot list this spring – if it is really good (or at least really good in the minds of Paul Lee and his ABC team), then ‘bubble’ shows like Goldbergs, Suburgatory, Trophy Wife and Neighbors (yes, once again), won’t make it to fall.

If the pilot list is poor (which is possible), then some bubble shows will make it, and I would think Trophy Wife will be at or near the top of that ‘save’ list.

34. I really enjoyed KILLER WOMEN. Good cast. Good story.
    We almost didn’t give it a try cuz the name is so unappealing. Is it too late for them to change the name?

35. Julia Murray says:

I haven’t made it all the way through an NCIS episode in a while. Bishop’s character is tedious and the boys just can’t carry it alone.