Justified May End After Season 6, Says FX Boss

Justified Last Season 6Raylan Givens may have just one left in the chamber.

PHOTOS | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Guide to Justified and 30 Other Returning Favorites

On the heels of Justified kicking off Season 5 this Tuesday night, FX president Nick Grad told Variety “the plan right now” is for the Southern-fried crime drama to end after Season 6.

RELATED | Justified Season Premiere Recap — Boyd Makes a Bold Move to Save Ava

“We like having shows that rate really well, and there’s an instinct that you want it to go on forever. But it doesn’t,” Grant told the trade. And in the long run, he added, the key to preserving a show’s legacy is to mind its longevity. “Going out at the right time is going to make your show last forever — we want to make shows that stand the test of time.”

RELATED | Justified Casting: We Spy Red John, NewsRadio Stars, House‘s Honey and Others

Would you be OK with Raylan, Boyd et al riding off into the sunset after Season 6?

1. wrstlgirl says:

I love the show but I agree with him. To many shows stay on the air for way to long and become stale. At that point that’s how you remember them.

2. But that just means they move on to their Tim and Rachel spin off though right? Right?

3. A DVD/Blu-Ray set in the shape of a six shooter that collects all six seasons would be appropriate.

4. Magically Suspicious says:

Ordinarily, I’m in total agreement. In this case, however, I’m not sure I can survive without Boyd and Raylan in my life.

5. JuliaJ. says:

I love Justified, but I agree with the idea of ending the show after season six. It’s always best to go out on top, then stay too long.

6. Deion says:

Yes! Give us just enough, but not too much! Too many series start off without an endgame planned. Know where you want to go and take us there.

7. Rusty says:

As long as the story lines are good with the same quality of actors, Keep it past 6 seasons. If the ratings and quality start to slip, yes end it. After watching last nights episode, Keep it for 10 seasons!!! That was a kick ass show.

8. Alan says:

better to go out while the quality is still there, they dont want another dexter on their hands.

• Emily says:

On the other hand, we don’t want another Deadwood on our hands (that still hurts).

• Myke25 says:

I’m still sore at HBO and Paramount for Deadwood’s demise. One consolation has been the number of Deadwood actors who have appeared on Justified. I keep hoping that Ian McShane or John Hawkes will show up in Harlan someday.

9. V says:

But that means that I lose both SoA and Justified in the same year. What will I watch?!?!?!!

10. Trista says:

As long as there is a spin off, I might be okay with it.

11. Andrew Hass says:

I don’t watch Justified that much but i can understand wanting to end it on a high note.Plus maybe announcing it now gives the show’s producers time to make the final year memorable.However the FX president did say that’s the plan for now but he may have left some room to change his mind and have the show go past 6 seasons.Plus a lot of things may depend on the actors too and what they want.

12. David says:

Could they bring back “Terriers” then?

13. GoodieGoddess says:

Hmmmm …. Just watched the extra “A Conversation with Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins” from the season 3 Blu-ray set. In it, Tim says that he sees the show running for 6 seasons, so it sounds like this had been in the works for awhile. As an EP, Tim has been exercising more and more creative control of the show, which is fine since he has been instrumental in a lot of the great dialogue, etc according to Graham Yost.

I would definitely miss the show, but I can understand not wanting to limp offstage.

14. Francine says:

I would miss this show SO much but I agree with him. After so many seasons things start to get too unbelievable. I will admit I was hoping for at least 7 seasons though, like The Shield and SOA.

15. Znachki says:

Yeah, the 6 season run has been floating around for quite a while. I like that the show runners will be able to plan around that. And I’d watch the hell out of a Tim, Rachel, and Art spin off!

• Maryann says:

I could watch Justified for another half dozen seasons. It seems every season is fresh and new, with the creative team on double duty. Just as NCIS has been around forever, i think this show could be too.

• Judy says:

I agree…lots of shows have ran for years and years and NOW are in RERUNS…KEEP Justified ON…..I love Raylan and Boyd…..

16. Kayla says:

I understand the reasoning, but…

Nooooo :( Raylan forever.

17. Michelle says:

Love the show and think it’s a great idea. Write towards an end point… Like a good book.

18. jmag420 says:

Love this show so much, but you have to know when to pull the plug ala Breaking Bad even though those brilliant writers could have made a couple more seasons but on the other hand you don’t want to be like SOA and jus drag on..so I respect/agree with this decision

19. Justin says:

This show is criminally under-rated, and FX can blame whoever decided to put Justified on Amazon Prime instead of Netflix.
    No one I know watches it because they have to catch up on the old seasons and the first thing they say is “is it on Netflix”
    Instead of building a huge audience (ex: Breaking Bad, SOA) in its last few seasons leading to the end its going to limp off… and that sucks!

• rooney72 says:

I agree. Not having it available on Netflix made a big difference in the lack of building of ratings. However, that’s not really why the show is ending. This was a decision the producers made last spring, at the conclusion of season 4. FX actually wanted to do 30 more eps, shot over two seasons but shown over 3, with a truncated 7th season. The producers decided to do two more full seasons instead for a total of 26 additional eps.

• dcg4us says:

I caught up on Amazon so I’m grateful :)

20. bhammel103 says:

I will be sad to see this go off the air. This is my favorite show on TV of all time so far.

For the end, I would totally love to see Raylan and Boyd square off across a dinner table again, much like the pilot episode.

21. Raelene Kincaid says:

22. Bruce says:

Will Dickie Bennett make a return to Justified?

23. Brenda says:

I love this show, it is one of my favorites and I would like to see at least a couple more years but can understand why but still don’t like it. Tuesday nights will not be the same and It will be a shame to take such a great show, great cast and great writing off the air!!

24. Silver says:

Not ready to say goodbye to Rylan or any of the characters on Justified. One of the best shows ever!!! Great story lines, great acting. Love the off beat nature of the show.

25. mike d says:

A cable show with a hit series? that’s hard to do. what does he think will replace this one? this is very foolish, you don’t cancel a show unless it’s doing poorly. who cares about artistic merits? I would fire the head of fx , because the bottom line is what will make the network money. not artistic reasons to cancel a show. when it’s ratings drop , you cancel it. that’s sound business. or if the lead actor quit. then yeah you gotta cancel it.

• dcg4us says:

I sort of agree. Why would you plan the end of a series that everybody loves? The problem is the marketing of it. I didn’t even know about it until last season. I watch A LOT of TV. Luckily I was able to go to Amazon and catch up. Don’t they have faith in the writers or actors? Like NCIS, which I will watch forever, they could have many more seasons. Everybody just needs to continue to do their jobs. I would watch anything Timothy O is in – pretty sure he can do no wrong.

26. Yes Yes I would, but could we have Art and Tim too?

27. rsr says:

didn’t the originator Elmore Leonard; the one who wrote the short stories pass away. Best to end on 5 then. Sadly enough. Had he lived 6 or 7 would be perfect.

28. 1776blues says:

Well, that’s news I didn’t want to read. And silly me thinking that only ABC, NBC, and CBS cancelled shows I liked. Like last year when CBS cancelled Golden Boy after its short mid season slot with little advertising. Too bad TNT couldn’t revive that show!

29. Brenda says:

Is there some way to let the programmers know that we want Justified to stay on for the 7th season. It’s one of the best written shows on the air. I love the witty dialogue. If FX doesn’t renew it I hope another station will.

30. Connie says:

Why Would You Cancel a Great Show like Justified? That makes NO sense what so ever. As long as it’s a popular show with great ratings there is NO reason to cancel it. What is wrong with TV exec’s today. In the past if the show was good like Dallas – ran what 18 seasons? It stayed on because it was good and people loved it, now a days if people love a show they CANCEL it!!! Makes NO SENSE

• 1776blues says:

Well its finally been revealed, this will be Justified’s final season. During this past Tuesday’s Sons of Anarchy they ran a commercial, you know those quick spots that don’t show actual scenes, and it said Final season at the end. I’m bummed as SOA is in its final season and HBO just ran the last episode of the series

Add another favorite show of mine to the WTF list; Boardwalk Empire. For the final season they skipped ahead 5 years. I was not impressed with its finale.

On somewhat good news, I found three series to replace the above mentioned show and 2 are on CW and 1 on Fox;

1) Gotham – Fox
      2) The Flash – CW
      3) Arrow – CW

31. Geoffrey says:

Hell nooooo. This is one of the best, kick ass shows on TV season 6 it’s just to soon…..common give us at least 8!!

• Connie says:

Makes NO sense at all to cancel a show that is watched by millions of people!! Justified is a wonderful show with great actors and great story lines what difference does it make if it runs 5 or 20 seasons as long as it has a lot of people watching every week that should be the only concern.. People that make the decisions to cancel good shows after a short 5 or 6 years should remember the old Dallas that ran I think 18 years and it still is popular today as is the new Dallas. So please rethink canceling Justified after just 6 seasons!!!

32. Brandi says:

We need a Boyd spin off as much as I love Raylan and trust me I do. I have been wanting to see Boyd Crowder to do some big things. I have been rooting for him

• Connie says:

Justified is awesome and would be terrible to end it after only 6 seasons because there is a lot of story left to be told. I agree with the Boyd storyline continuing as a spin-off but let Justified continue till at least season 10. What happened to the good ole days when shows that were popular with the fans stay on for 10 -15 or more years!!! Why do people now think a show needs to end when it’s at its highest and best????? Keep Justified on because it is FAR from Stale!!!!