Justified May End After Season 6, Says FX Boss

Get More: Cancellations, Renewals

Justified Last Season 6Raylan Givens may have just one left in the chamber.

PHOTOS | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Guide to Justified and 30 Other Returning Favorites

On the heels of Justified kicking off Season 5 this Tuesday night, FX president Nick Grad told Variety “the plan right now” is for the Southern-fried crime drama to end after Season 6.

RELATED | Justified Season Premiere Recap — Boyd Makes a Bold Move to Save Ava

“We like having shows that rate really well, and there’s an instinct that you want it to go on forever. But it doesn’t,” Grant told the trade. And in the long run, he added, the key to preserving a show’s legacy is to mind its longevity. “Going out at the right time is going to make your show last forever — we want to make shows that stand the test of time.”

RELATED | Justified Casting: We Spy Red John, NewsRadio Stars, House‘s Honey and Others

Would you be OK with Raylan, Boyd et al riding off into the sunset after Season 6?

Tags: ,

Comments (51)

• I love the show but I agree with him. To many shows stay on the air for way to long and become stale. At that point that’s how you remember them.

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 8, 2014 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But that just means they move on to their Tim and Rachel spin off though right? Right?

Comment by aboleyn (@aboleyn) – January 8, 2014 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes please!

Comment by chris – January 8, 2014 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please!!! I love me some Tim Gutterson!

Comment by V – January 8, 2014 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have such a crush on Tim! Love the heck out of Art too.

Comment by Eliza – January 8, 2014 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love this idea, but can we invite Art too?

Comment by enuff said – January 8, 2014 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Count me in, I’d love the 3 of them on a spin off!

Comment by Rain388 – January 10, 2014 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • now that is a show i would watch
      if they intend to end it after season 6 at least give Gutterson more screen time he sarcasm is the highlight of the show

Comment by sarah – January 8, 2014 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s been my one gripe about this show. Not enough backstory on those two.

Comment by Francine – January 8, 2014 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A DVD/Blu-Ray set in the shape of a six shooter that collects all six seasons would be appropriate.

Comment by Michael Sacal – January 8, 2014 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How about the whole series in a Stetson, with a sixshooter emblem on the hatband?

Comment by Brian – January 14, 2014 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ordinarily, I’m in total agreement. In this case, however, I’m not sure I can survive without Boyd and Raylan in my life.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – January 8, 2014 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with Magically suspicious. Thank God for DVDs.

Comment by Bev – January 8, 2014 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same. Ah, the love I have for this show…. it took the spot from SOA as my favorite FX show (followed by The Americans).

Comment by Eliza – January 8, 2014 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I PERSONALLY DON’T WANT TO SEE THE SEE THE SHOW LEAVE ( BUT I DO LUV THE OTHER CAST MEMBERS)

Comment by Paula Weshner – January 25, 2014 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you!

Comment by dcg4us – February 26, 2014 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wholeheartedly agree!!

Comment by Ceejay – March 18, 2014 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Justified, but I agree with the idea of ending the show after season six. It’s always best to go out on top, then stay too long.

Comment by JuliaJ. – January 8, 2014 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Give us just enough, but not too much! Too many series start off without an endgame planned. Know where you want to go and take us there.

Comment by Deion – January 8, 2014 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as the story lines are good with the same quality of actors, Keep it past 6 seasons. If the ratings and quality start to slip, yes end it. After watching last nights episode, Keep it for 10 seasons!!! That was a kick ass show.

Comment by Rusty – January 8, 2014 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • better to go out while the quality is still there, they dont want another dexter on their hands.

Comment by Alan – January 8, 2014 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • On the other hand, we don’t want another Deadwood on our hands (that still hurts).

Comment by Emily – January 8, 2014 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m still sore at HBO and Paramount for Deadwood’s demise. One consolation has been the number of Deadwood actors who have appeared on Justified. I keep hoping that Ian McShane or John Hawkes will show up in Harlan someday.

Comment by Myke25 – January 9, 2014 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But that means that I lose both SoA and Justified in the same year. What will I watch?!?!?!!

Comment by V – January 8, 2014 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my goodness, I didn’t even think of that! Man I would be lost…

Comment by Francine – January 8, 2014 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as there is a spin off, I might be okay with it.

Comment by Trista – January 8, 2014 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch Justified that much but i can understand wanting to end it on a high note.Plus maybe announcing it now gives the show’s producers time to make the final year memorable.However the FX president did say that’s the plan for now but he may have left some room to change his mind and have the show go past 6 seasons.Plus a lot of things may depend on the actors too and what they want.

Comment by Andrew Hass – January 8, 2014 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could they bring back “Terriers” then?

Comment by David – January 8, 2014 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmmm …. Just watched the extra “A Conversation with Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins” from the season 3 Blu-ray set. In it, Tim says that he sees the show running for 6 seasons, so it sounds like this had been in the works for awhile. As an EP, Tim has been exercising more and more creative control of the show, which is fine since he has been instrumental in a lot of the great dialogue, etc according to Graham Yost.

I would definitely miss the show, but I can understand not wanting to limp offstage.

Comment by GoodieGoddess – January 8, 2014 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would miss this show SO much but I agree with him. After so many seasons things start to get too unbelievable. I will admit I was hoping for at least 7 seasons though, like The Shield and SOA.

Comment by Francine – January 8, 2014 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, the 6 season run has been floating around for quite a while. I like that the show runners will be able to plan around that. And I’d watch the hell out of a Tim, Rachel, and Art spin off!

Comment by Znachki – January 8, 2014 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could watch Justified for another half dozen seasons. It seems every season is fresh and new, with the creative team on double duty. Just as NCIS has been around forever, i think this show could be too.

Comment by Maryann – January 8, 2014 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree…lots of shows have ran for years and years and NOW are in RERUNS…KEEP Justified ON…..I love Raylan and Boyd…..

Comment by Judy – January 9, 2014 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I understand the reasoning, but…

Nooooo :( Raylan forever.

Comment by Kayla – January 8, 2014 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show and think it’s a great idea. Write towards an end point… Like a good book.

Comment by Michelle – January 8, 2014 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show so much, but you have to know when to pull the plug ala Breaking Bad even though those brilliant writers could have made a couple more seasons but on the other hand you don’t want to be like SOA and jus drag on..so I respect/agree with this decision

Comment by jmag420 – January 9, 2014 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is criminally under-rated, and FX can blame whoever decided to put Justified on Amazon Prime instead of Netflix.
    No one I know watches it because they have to catch up on the old seasons and the first thing they say is “is it on Netflix”
    Instead of building a huge audience (ex: Breaking Bad, SOA) in its last few seasons leading to the end its going to limp off… and that sucks!

Comment by Justin – January 9, 2014 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Not having it available on Netflix made a big difference in the lack of building of ratings. However, that’s not really why the show is ending. This was a decision the producers made last spring, at the conclusion of season 4. FX actually wanted to do 30 more eps, shot over two seasons but shown over 3, with a truncated 7th season. The producers decided to do two more full seasons instead for a total of 26 additional eps.

Comment by rooney72 – January 10, 2014 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I caught up on Amazon so I’m grateful :)

Comment by dcg4us – February 26, 2014 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be sad to see this go off the air. This is my favorite show on TV of all time so far.

For the end, I would totally love to see Raylan and Boyd square off across a dinner table again, much like the pilot episode.

Comment by bhammel103 – January 10, 2014 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Raelene Kincaid – January 19, 2014 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will Dickie Bennett make a return to Justified?

Comment by Bruce – January 20, 2014 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show, it is one of my favorites and I would like to see at least a couple more years but can understand why but still don’t like it. Tuesday nights will not be the same and It will be a shame to take such a great show, great cast and great writing off the air!!

Comment by Brenda – January 21, 2014 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not ready to say goodbye to Rylan or any of the characters on Justified. One of the best shows ever!!! Great story lines, great acting. Love the off beat nature of the show.

Comment by Silver – January 31, 2014 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A cable show with a hit series? that’s hard to do. what does he think will replace this one? this is very foolish, you don’t cancel a show unless it’s doing poorly. who cares about artistic merits? I would fire the head of fx , because the bottom line is what will make the network money. not artistic reasons to cancel a show. when it’s ratings drop , you cancel it. that’s sound business. or if the lead actor quit. then yeah you gotta cancel it.

Comment by mike d – February 6, 2014 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I sort of agree. Why would you plan the end of a series that everybody loves? The problem is the marketing of it. I didn’t even know about it until last season. I watch A LOT of TV. Luckily I was able to go to Amazon and catch up. Don’t they have faith in the writers or actors? Like NCIS, which I will watch forever, they could have many more seasons. Everybody just needs to continue to do their jobs. I would watch anything Timothy O is in – pretty sure he can do no wrong.

Comment by dcg4us – February 26, 2014 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes Yes I would, but could we have Art and Tim too?

Comment by sandi pemberton – April 1, 2014 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • didn’t the originator Elmore Leonard; the one who wrote the short stories pass away. Best to end on 5 then. Sadly enough. Had he lived 6 or 7 would be perfect.

Comment by rsr – April 7, 2014 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, that’s news I didn’t want to read. And silly me thinking that only ABC, NBC, and CBS cancelled shows I liked. Like last year when CBS cancelled Golden Boy after its short mid season slot with little advertising. Too bad TNT couldn’t revive that show!

Comment by 1776blues – April 14, 2014 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops, I meant FX, but hey may as well leave in my TNT suggestion.

Comment by 1776blues – April 14, 2014 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post