Exclusive

Sense8 Scoop: First Deets on New Netflix Sci-Fi Drama From Andy and Lana Wachowski

Sense8 CastApparently, not only do good things come to those who wait, but really good things come to those who wait and wait and wait: Nearly a year after Netflix greenlit 10 episodes of Matrix auteurs Andy and Lana Wachowski’s Sense8, we finally have the 411 on the series.

RELATED | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Guide to 31 Returning Favorites

The sci-fi drama will focus on eight people scattered around the globe who are connected by a shared — violent — vision. (Because it’s never a vision of kittens, is it?) Each episode — shot in the UK, Seoul, Mumbai, Nairobi, Berlin, Mexico City, San Francisco and Chicago — will follow the characters’ separate stories, even as one entity tries to bring the octet together and another tries to kill them.

Among the regulars (as yet uncast) are: a closeted Mexican telenovela hunk, an Icelandic party girl, a German safe-cracker, a Korean businesswoman, an African bus driver and a transgender American blogger (a la Lana?). Perhaps most intriguing, though, are Jonas, an apparently magic African-American who appears to all of the “visionaries,” and his evil counterpart, Mr. Whispers (arguably the best-named villain since The X-Files’ Cigarette-Smoking Man).

What do you think? Intrigued? Since Sense8 doesn’t even start shooting until June, we certainly have a lot of time to speculate and suggest actors. Is there anyone with whom showrunner J. Michael Straczynski worked on Babylon 5 that you hope will be hired? Anyone from the Matrix flicks? Hit the comments.

1. Tom Charles says:

You know, there is one name for the “Apparently magic African-American” that sprung to mind, but sadly he passed beyond the rim. Maybe Jason Carter could get a role somewhere? What do we know about Mr. Whispers?

2. Irishbrat says:

Sounds like that show that was cancelled with Keifer Sutherland.

3. katy says:

sounds like nothing new, like heroes and touch (that show that was cancelled with kiefer Sutherland), why can’t wachowskis come up with something more or less original anymore? the question now, could they ever do that at all then? the only great film they had was the first matrix (did they just steal it from someone then?), and everybody keeps still expecting them to reproduce that, and it seems it’s not going to be happening anytime soon

and the set of the main characters sound somewhat generic… and so vomit-inducingly PC

nothing is original anymore, people say, but it doesn’t have to be SO unoriginal either

• Sheldon W. says:

The big difference between this and every other Wachowski project since The Matrix is the presence of JMS. Joe has high standards and a pretty decent track record, not even including Babylon 5.

With him involved, anything is possible. After all, look what he did with ‘Casablanca in space.’

• alistaircrane says:

You might want to read Superman Earth One Volume 2 (and Superman #700, for that matter). That was JMS at his worst.

• Vincent Ventrevski says:

The Matrix was basically a confluence of other stories, most notably the Messiah and Alice in Wonderland. It wouldn’t have made a blip on the radar were it not for the effects technology used, and I doubt that had much to do with the Wachowskis

• tarc says:

Considering that it sounds *nothing* like either of those shows…

4. DL says:

Yunjin Kim as the businesswoman! Presuming they can work around her “Mistresses” schedule.

5. peter says:

Lana?
    Lana?
    LANA?
    LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

6. M says:

Ugh. The “Magical Negro” is such a tired and offensive stereotype. Can’t they come up with anything better?

• Vincent Ventrevski says:

What were the odds of a transgender character. Colour me surprised.

• liz says:

considering Lana Wachowski is trans and Andy’s a badass supporter of her, I’m really pleased to see them taking this opportunity to add a trans character to the tv landscape. And with a trans person behind the show, chances are the role will be written without being horrifically offensive (looking at you Ryan Murphy)

7. Drew says:

They haven’t produced anything really good since the Matrix series and JMS is an arrogant hack. I think I will pass.

8. dreamlife613 says:

I’ve been waiting for an update on this series. Can’t wait to see who gets cast and more details on when it will premiere.

9. Vincent Ventrevski says:

Gay, check; slut, check; transgender, check; Asian, check; German criminal, check; black guy, check; evil white guy, check; magical negro, check. Yep, that is about the most by rote character sheet I’ve ever seen in my life.

10. timbro says:

Since Netflix and the Wachowskis are highly secretive about their projects I think its safe to assume that anything released publicly will only be the simplified version that they want you to see. I’m sure this was a casting notice which only requires the bare minimum .

11. Marie says:

Babylon 5! My favorite sci-fi series ever. MJS love that guy. I’d like to see Captain Ivanova show up as someone, or the woman who played Delenn.. heck would be fun to see anyone of them………………. (lost my crush on Michael Garibaldi when I learned the actor had a conservative talk show………………. hmmmmm…. maybe if he just doesn’t talk……. ha!)

12. JimmySmiths says:

We have the deets! We have the 411! We are so 2004! Stand back!

13. James says:

The Wachowskis are great. Maybe their work is not liked by everyone, but at least they try new things in every movie they make. How many filmmakers can say that today? Besides, Cloud Atlas was really good, one of the most underrated movies of 2012. Also, I’m sure if the magic role were a white man, people would complain too. Can you wait to see if the character is what you think before saying it’s a stereotype? Yet, the pitch sounds cool!

14. Dr. M says:

Sounds surprisingly generic. But now I want a series about people connected by vision of kittens.

15. Kevin H. says:

I’m in! The Wachowskis always put 150% into everything they’re involved in. I so wish Cloud Atlas had done better at the theaters.

16. Bark Star says:

Some film makers only have one good film in them. For the Wachowskis, that was “Bound”. But hey, maybe they will fare better in serialised narration. Orci and Kurtzman are completely incompetent when it comes to movies but they fare better on TV too.

17. KMG says:

Am I the only one who saw the photo with this story and thought they must be the main characters of the new sci-fi series instead of the creators?

18. lugaru says:

Might be a telepath story, so I would love to see Pat Talman or Walter Koening at least as guests ….

19. drama says:

I must thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this blog.

I really hope to view the same high-grade content by you
    later on as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own blog now ;)