Cougar Town Season 5 Premiere: Worth a Toast?

Cougar-Town-season-5-premiere-recapRemember that long-delayed first kiss that Travis and Laurie finally shared in the Cougar Town Season 4 finale? Well, apparently it lasted all the way to the start of the wildly inappropriate but brutally funny Season 5 premiere —  based on the Cul-de-Sac crew’s “awww/blech” responses and Jules’ CTRL+ALT+DEL inability to acknowledge the newbie couple’s living-room PDA.

RELATED | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 31 Returning Favorites

In “All or Nothing,” Jules got uncomfortably close to her son and her pal/former assistant, Andy dealt with fallout from letting Stan watch A Nightmare on Elm Street and Bobby — flush with cash from international sales of Penny Can — got presented with a long-overdue bar tab from Grayson. Here’s how it all played out:

WORST SHOWER SCENE SINCE PSYCHO | Jules’ attempts to get comfortable with Travis and Laurie’s PDAs received a major setback when she accidentally walked in on them having sex in the shower, slipped, fell, and grabbed several of their body parts before she hit the floor. “So much skin. A tan and pale swirl,” she lamented later. Ultimately, though, Jules decided not to ignore the new couple’s love (despite a subsequent walk-in where she discovered her son’s “attentiveness” as a lover) and instead chose to embrace it fully. “We’re all in love with each other!” Jules exclaimed, with typical overzealousness.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

FREDDIE’S DEAD? | Ellie raged against Andy after his decision to expose their young son to a classic horror film led to his inability to sleep. Fortunately, she caught wind of Andy’s plan to “violently murder” Tom in a Freddie Kruger mask in front of little Stan — though the sausage-link intestines were a nice touch — leading instead to a sit-down chat where the horror meister explained his decision to move to faraway Canada.

PENNYCAN ANTE | After learning about Bobby’s $14,000 Penny Can royalty check, Grayson presented his pal with a massive overdue tab. Bobby cluelessly failed to get the message — “I finished a book?” he asked with wonder, as Grayson presented him with the first of two notepads containing his unpaid receipts — but eventually, the lightbulb went off. In the end, he moved his prized used hottub into Grayson and Jules’ living room as a show of gratitude. Not that Jules was gonna let it stay there, of course.

Episode’s Best Zingers
“I don’t think it’s possible to overreact to accidentally grabbing your son’s erect penis.” –Grayson, confirming the appropriateness of Jules’ response to that shower horror

“Well, she reached out and grabbed onto my honks, but they were so sudsy from Trav washing them for 20 minutes.” –Laurie, explaining why she couldn’t stop Jules’ fall

“They were very dirty.” –Travis, elaborating on Laurie’s story

“I once had sex in a cemetery. I had ‘Frieda Rogers, loving wife and mother’ imprinted on my back for, like, two weeks.” –Laurie, sharing a tale from her past

“Season 5? Didn’t see that coming!” –This week’s title card

What did you think of the Cougar Town Season 5 premiere? What were your favorite punch lines? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. JJ says:

It was a solid premiere of my favorite show. I also liked how they incorporated the running jokes with the new dynamics within the group (Laurie and Travis. It gave me the same tone and Cougar Town feel that I have grown to love, but the hint of change kept it fresh. This episode proved the Cougar Town still has a lot of life left in it and I’ll be watching it all.

2. bradnies says:

Good episode. Not great. But having the cul-de-sac crew back is so great! I seriously consider this show to be the best sitcom of all time.

3. juan says:

love the show, happy its back.

4. liz says:

so happy to have my cul-de-sac crew back! I find every season’s first episode to be a tad awkward though (like they’re trying to find the rhythm again) but this one had some really funny moments. Love these people!

5. I really liked the premiere… This is what a cable comedy should look like. It shouldn’t be a rip-off of classics like TV Land’s shows, it shouldn’t be over-soapy like Showtime/HBO shows and it shouldn’t be filled with boobs, but bikini is fine. It’s edgy, it’s dirty, but never too much! This kind of humour would never work on broadcast (rememberDon’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23) because parents will start complaining – but on cable at 10pm – just perfect! I hope the show stays on air for a few more years.

• Lori says:

So sick of the whining parents! Every cable box has parental controls or parents could try actually devoting time to monitoring their kids and changing the channel if they try to watch something they aren’t supposed to! People should not have kids if they can’t afford them or don’t have the time or the inclination to raise them right!

• Kaley says:

Are you serious? People shouldn’t have kids if they don’t have the time to monitor what they watch 24/7? What world do you live in, and can I move there for a while? It sounds nice and make believe. You are either very young, or very rich with a lot of time on your hands and no need to work.

• Amanda M. says:

He isn’t saying that they have to monitor them 24/7, but there is an option afforded to them (parental controls). On most TVs (if not all…) parental controls are free and simple. If they don’t have time to monitor their kids (which is acceptable and normal in todays world), and they don’t bother with parental controls, then they should have no right to complain about what networks chose to air during primetime. The primetime demographic (correct me if I am wrong) is 18-49 year olds. Networks should not have to listen to complaints for airing something that you deem inappropriate for your child. If it is on Nick or Disney, that is one thing. But the “Big Four” should be allowed to appeal to their demo during primetime, and parents should take more responsibility for their childs viewing habits.

• Tim says:

It’s called a V Chip, dimwit. Parents don’t have to ‘monitor what (their kids) watch 24/7′.

You set the television ONCE so that those programs rated, say TV-14 or higher, are available to watch only via password.

The V Chip has been mandatory in televisions for several years now. So you see, it’s not that the poster of the comment isn’t living in the real world, it’s that you are either to ill-informed or just to lazy to five minutes to program your TV – probably the same length of time it took to post on this comment board.

Ugh.

• Eric7740 says:

I 100% agree with you!!! I don’t have kids of my own, but I have my nieces and nephews on a regular basis, and they do not watch anything past a TV-PG rating, because thats how we’ve set up the parental controls. Its very simple to do.

6. RUCookie says:

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. The scenes of Jules walking in on her son and Laurie had me howling. The Freddie horror line was a nice counter to that insanity. Gave it an “A”

7. Apples says:

It was OK. The Travis/Laurie/Jules stuff was good, the b-plot meh.

8. Liz says:

Love this show! This episode wasn’t as funny as most, but still a solid premiere. Very happy to have it back I.

9. Naked, sexy, touchy grabby…

10. Stefan says:

Finally! I missed the cul-de-sac so much! Best sitcom, period.

11. Mikael says:

Hilarious episode! I’m so glad to have the cul-de-sac crew back! The scene when Tom appears in the window to return Andy’s butcher knife had me cracking up. I really hope this season isn’t the last.

12. Ronnie says:

I loved it! Thought the humor was great. Wasn’t sure if the show would lose steam in season 5. So far so good.

13. jenna says:

was anyone else caught off guard by bobby’s almost homeless man appearance at the beginning of the episode? Thankfully throughout the episode he seemed to have gotten a shave and a haircut but it definitely made me do a double take

14. Kristina says:

Glad it’s back! Still not loving Laurie and Travis together. But I have to admit it did make for some good comedy.