Backstrom Lives! Fox Orders Rainn Wilson-Fronted Procedural to Series After CBS Passes

Get More: Series Orders

Backstrom Fox SeriesA high profile casualty of the 2013 pilot season is getting a new lease on life.

Fox has given a 13-episode series order to Backstrom, the hour-long procedural starring Rainn Wilson that CBS passed on last May.

RELATED | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Guide to 31 Returning Favorites

Based on a Swedish book series by Leif G.W. Persson and adapted for TV by Bones boss Hart Hanson, the drama (which, coincidentally, is produced by Fox’s corporate sibling Twentieth Century Fox Television) centers on Wilson’s Det. Everett Backstrom, an offensive, irascible detective, as he tries, and fails, to change his self-destructive behavior. Throughout the series, Backstrom leads his team, the Serious Crimes Unit, as they navigate Portland’s most sensitive cases.

The cast also includes Ringer‘s Kristoffer Polaha, 24‘s Dennis Haysbert, Weeds‘ Page Kennedy and Beatrice Rosen (Cuts). Mamie Gummer is the only member of the original ensemble not continuing with the show. Wilson tweeted a sizzle reel/trailer for the series back in September:

“Hart Hanson and Rainn Wilson are the perfect combination of creative vision and on-screen talent to bring this one-of-a-kind character and story like Backstrom to Fox,” said Fox prez Kevin Reilly in a statement. “I’ve been in business with Hart for a long time, and not only does he have a rare gift for infusing darker themes with relatable humor, he’s one of the best showrunners out there today. Together with Rainn – who absolutely nails this role and makes it a classic Fox character – I think we’ve got something really special here.”

Comments (27)

• Wasn’t this the show that was supposed to co-star Mamie Gummer? Did she get replaced??

Comment by Lindsey – January 7, 2014 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t Mamie Gummer in this too?

Comment by Sean T – January 7, 2014 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The article said they are the only original member not continuing with the show

Comment by crog – January 7, 2014 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wasn’t up at the time this was posted. Shame since I love Mamie but I will still check it out.

Comment by Sean T – January 7, 2014 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hart has too many going concerns now. That’s two series. And two maybe Pilots… He is stretching them all too thin. And his lack of creative input in Bones for the last few years is telling… I am curious if that means Bones won’t get picked up now. Fox chose Backstrom instead…

Comment by Anon – January 7, 2014 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Excellent question, that’s what I’m thinking too. Writing has been seriously lacking since the number one couple got married. Maybe it’s time. Sad day.

Comment by Jill – January 7, 2014 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really Jill.
        Don’t you get tired of tirelessly bitching about the show on every article?
        And just because *you* think the writing is lacking, it must be true and so the show should be cancelled as a result? Why not just change the channel…?
        Never mind the millions who still enjoy the show…your opinion must clearly be the correct one. People claiming a show should end purely based on their sole opinion do my head in.

And what on earth does Backstrom being picked up have to do with Bones’ renewal chances? Answer: nothing.

It’s ‘The Finder’ all over again, I remember people were speculating that it meant the end of Bones back then, But obviouly that was not true, you would think people would have learned by now…people have been convinced for years that Bones is ending and as ever, I’m confident that they’ll be wrong again. Hart Hanson’s latest tweet all but confirms to me that S10 is incredibly likely if not dead certain.

Comment by Casey – January 8, 2014 02:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is this to air this season or next season?

Comment by Steven – January 7, 2014 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THANK. YOU FOX! Was hoping this would make it to air!

Comment by Zach – January 7, 2014 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww, I love Mamie Gummer. That would’ve been a big draw for me. Curious whether she bowed out herself or was cut.

Comment by DL – January 7, 2014 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The article said they aren’t moving forward with Mammie Gummer. I think this has a ton of potential and looks really good. I was disappointed when CBS passed on iy so I’m glad it got a second life.

Comment by David – January 7, 2014 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointed about Mamie tho. She is kinda great.

Comment by +1 – January 7, 2014 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very excited about this one. It will be fantastic to have Dennis Haysbert back on TV!

Comment by LynnH – January 7, 2014 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember why I dislike reading the TVLine comment section…so much whining

Comment by Kwapple – January 7, 2014 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I call it “preemptive” whining.

Comment by LynnH – January 7, 2014 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A cop show on FOX?! That’s an original idea!

Comment by David4 – January 7, 2014 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t Mamie Gummer working on another TV show? So maybe that’s why she won’t be in this.

Comment by woodyinho – January 7, 2014 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed the sizzle reel that was released for this series a while back, and was really hoping I’d get to see more some day.

Comment by Stu – January 7, 2014 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Makes me think of a police version of House MD

Comment by Jeff – January 7, 2014 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish more networks would pick up other network passes, I’m sure there are so many great shows that are not picked. This pickup is rather late

Comment by Jake – January 8, 2014 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fox has already done it for this and Mulaney. It’s becoming increasingly common.

Comment by Zach – January 8, 2014 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First House, then Rake and now this. What Fox’s deal with crotchety white dudes?

Comment by Delia – January 8, 2014 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks interesting, but as others have said, I will miss Mamie.

Comment by JM – January 8, 2014 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, awesome. Comedy from the people who’ve made Bones a joke for the last five or so seasons plus suspense from the people who’ve made Bones a joke for the last five or so seasons.

I genuinely hope that it’s as unsuccessful as I suspect it will be.

Comment by j – January 22, 2014 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This new series from Hart Hansen has no appeal. The leading man is less than appealing. On Bones- no one has made it a joke! It’s a great show with a wonderful cast and they keep it real.

Comment by Sharon – January 25, 2014 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post