Backstrom Lives! Fox Orders Rainn Wilson-Fronted Procedural to Series After CBS Passes

Backstrom Fox SeriesA high profile casualty of the 2013 pilot season is getting a new lease on life.

Fox has given a 13-episode series order to Backstrom, the hour-long procedural starring Rainn Wilson that CBS passed on last May.

RELATED | Winter TV Spoiler-palooza! Your Guide to 31 Returning Favorites

Based on a Swedish book series by Leif G.W. Persson and adapted for TV by Bones boss Hart Hanson, the drama (which, coincidentally, is produced by Fox’s corporate sibling Twentieth Century Fox Television) centers on Wilson’s Det. Everett Backstrom, an offensive, irascible detective, as he tries, and fails, to change his self-destructive behavior. Throughout the series, Backstrom leads his team, the Serious Crimes Unit, as they navigate Portland’s most sensitive cases.

The cast also includes Ringer‘s Kristoffer Polaha, 24‘s Dennis Haysbert, Weeds‘ Page Kennedy and Beatrice Rosen (Cuts). Mamie Gummer is the only member of the original ensemble not continuing with the show. Wilson tweeted a sizzle reel/trailer for the series back in September:

“Hart Hanson and Rainn Wilson are the perfect combination of creative vision and on-screen talent to bring this one-of-a-kind character and story like Backstrom to Fox,” said Fox prez Kevin Reilly in a statement. “I’ve been in business with Hart for a long time, and not only does he have a rare gift for infusing darker themes with relatable humor, he’s one of the best showrunners out there today. Together with Rainn – who absolutely nails this role and makes it a classic Fox character – I think we’ve got something really special here.”

1. Lindsey says:

Wasn’t this the show that was supposed to co-star Mamie Gummer? Did she get replaced??

2. Sean T says:

Wasn’t Mamie Gummer in this too?

3. Anon says:

Hart has too many going concerns now. That’s two series. And two maybe Pilots… He is stretching them all too thin. And his lack of creative input in Bones for the last few years is telling… I am curious if that means Bones won’t get picked up now. Fox chose Backstrom instead…

• Jill says:

Excellent question, that’s what I’m thinking too. Writing has been seriously lacking since the number one couple got married. Maybe it’s time. Sad day.

• Casey says:

Really Jill.
        Don’t you get tired of tirelessly bitching about the show on every article?
        And just because *you* think the writing is lacking, it must be true and so the show should be cancelled as a result? Why not just change the channel…?
        Never mind the millions who still enjoy the show…your opinion must clearly be the correct one. People claiming a show should end purely based on their sole opinion do my head in.

And what on earth does Backstrom being picked up have to do with Bones’ renewal chances? Answer: nothing.

It’s ‘The Finder’ all over again, I remember people were speculating that it meant the end of Bones back then, But obviouly that was not true, you would think people would have learned by now…people have been convinced for years that Bones is ending and as ever, I’m confident that they’ll be wrong again. Hart Hanson’s latest tweet all but confirms to me that S10 is incredibly likely if not dead certain.

4. Steven says:

Is this to air this season or next season?

5. Zach says:

THANK. YOU FOX! Was hoping this would make it to air!

6. DL says:

Aww, I love Mamie Gummer. That would’ve been a big draw for me. Curious whether she bowed out herself or was cut.

7. David says:

The article said they aren’t moving forward with Mammie Gummer. I think this has a ton of potential and looks really good. I was disappointed when CBS passed on iy so I’m glad it got a second life.

8. +1 says:

Disappointed about Mamie tho. She is kinda great.

9. LynnH says:

Very excited about this one. It will be fantastic to have Dennis Haysbert back on TV!

10. Kwapple says:

I remember why I dislike reading the TVLine comment section…so much whining

11. David4 says:

A cop show on FOX?! That’s an original idea!

12. woodyinho says:

Isn’t Mamie Gummer working on another TV show? So maybe that’s why she won’t be in this.

13. Stu says:

I really enjoyed the sizzle reel that was released for this series a while back, and was really hoping I’d get to see more some day.

14. Jeff says:

Makes me think of a police version of House MD

15. Jake says:

I wish more networks would pick up other network passes, I’m sure there are so many great shows that are not picked. This pickup is rather late

16. Delia says:

First House, then Rake and now this. What Fox’s deal with crotchety white dudes?

17. JM says:

Looks interesting, but as others have said, I will miss Mamie.

18. j says:

Oh, awesome. Comedy from the people who’ve made Bones a joke for the last five or so seasons plus suspense from the people who’ve made Bones a joke for the last five or so seasons.

I genuinely hope that it’s as unsuccessful as I suspect it will be.

19. Sharon says:

This new series from Hart Hansen has no appeal. The leading man is less than appealing. On Bones- no one has made it a joke! It’s a great show with a wonderful cast and they keep it real.

20. Hally says: