Elementary Preview: Moriarty Returns With a 'Big Secret'... and a Joan Obsession?

Elementary Season 2 SpoilersAs CBS’ Elementary resumes its second season this Thursday at 10/9c, Sherlock’s biggest foe — and love — is back, and with a whopper of a secret.

But first, there’s a case to be solved that may have ties to the (imprisoned?) Moriarty, played by guest star Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones). What’s more, the P.I. that Sherlock once knew as Irene Adler has a newfound fascination with his partner Joan, executive producer Rob Doherty previews.

Read on to find out what Joan will make of the former lovers’ covert correspondence and why she’s on Moriarty’s mind.

RELATED | Elementary Season 2 Casts Paul Sorvino, Sopranos Alum as Mafia Bosses

TVLINE | What brings Moriarty back into Sherlock and Watson’s lives?
A young girl is kidnapped in New York City and Sherlock and Joan quickly come to believe that Moriarty may have had a hand in the abduction. With Captain Gregson’s help, they track her down and pull her into the investigation.

TVLINE | So she’s not still in prison?
Oh, that’s a complicated answer. [Laughs] She is still in federal custody. She has been in federal custody since the events of last year’s finale, but she is… well, Moriarty would not necessarily let incarceration keep her from pulling certain strings.

TVLINE | Is Moriarty any different considering everything that’s happened since last we saw her?
She’s incrementally more humble for having lost to Sherlock and Joan at the end of the first season. It’s something she’s had a little time to chew on and puzzle over. She still doesn’t quite get it, doesn’t quite understand that Sherlock and Joan as a unit are more than one Moriarty. But she’s a student even of her own mistakes, so she takes this opportunity to dig a little deeper into Sherlock and Joan’s relationship and try to figure out, first and foremost, where she went wrong and second, what that relationship is really about.

RELATED2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

TVLINE | They bested her, so that’s got to sting when she sees them again.
It’s tricky. [Laughs] From the very beginning, it will be very clear that Joan, in particular, has been on Moriarty’s mind.

TVLINE | Yes, why does she have a painting of Joan?
We established that one of her many talents is painting. She may be a very devious personality, but she has some artist talents. The painting announces pretty quickly to the audience that she’s been thinking about Joan.

TVLINE | On the other end of this equation, there’s Sherlock and Joan. How does Moriarty’s presence affect them?
We established earlier in the season that Sherlock was participating in a secret correspondence with Moriarty. We showed that the two of them had been exchanging letters. In this episode, when Sherlock realizes the two of them are going to have to see Moriarty, he knows there’s no point in keeping it from Joan any longer. And so it’s a lot for [Joan] to digest as the story begins. It’s a little surprising, a little confusing, at first and yet, over the course of the episode, she’s starts to understand Sherlock, for all his quirks, is still a guy with a broken heart…. But it doesn’t make it easier for Joan to be in the same room with this woman. They certainly have plenty of unfinished business between them, but we’re going to learn a lot more about Moriarty in this episode. We’re not completely pulling the curtain away, but I can guarantee at least one big secret about Moriarty and her past will come to light.

TVLINE | Is she a presence that you hope will recur throughout the season?
Gosh, it’s always so hard to say. If I had my druthers, she would absolutely be a recurring presence over the life of the series. It’s harder to say if we’ll see her again this season only because Natalie is an incredible actress and in demand for very good reasons. And so sometimes, it can be tricky to make sure schedules mesh in our favor. So absolutely, we cannot get enough of Natalie and would love to have her back, but it’s too soon to say if that would happen again this season.

1. MDS says:

In which episode do they show Sherlock and Moriarty’s letters? I don’t remember that

Great to see Natalie back!

2. abz says:

I really like this show and I think Lucy Liu and Jonny Lee Miller work great off each other and I like their interactions. I’m new to the Sherlock mysteries as I’ve never read any of the books (before this show I’d only seen the Robert Downey Jr. film), but I’m really more curious about what Mycroft is up to as we saw with that phone call a few episodes back. Looking forward to finding out.

• DL says:

You should definitely check out BBC’s Sherlock. It’s fantastic. I’m thrilled to see all these representations of Holmes on TV. Can’t get enough.

3. BrianR says:

I’d watch Lucy Liu if she were just reading a book. Sexiest freckles around.

4. enri says:

Love Sherlock on BBC. I just can’t get into Elementary.

• liz says:

I went into Elementary with my shackles raised, there was no way it was going to be as good as Sherlock and I was a bit annoyed with America yet again ripping off a foreign show.
      That said, Elementary is the wickedly superior show. I can love both shows, but if forced to pick, I’ll pick Elementary. It’s stellar.

• c says:

Really disagree with this. The BBC version seems so soulless. Elementary has far more depth into its storylines and I’d much rather have that.

• LEP says:

I like them both for different reasons and perspectives. I’m sure the BBC Sherlock is more true to flavor of the books, even though set in modern times. I don’t know that I see Elementary as the great Holmes, but just a really good detective with quirks. My favorite Law & Order was “Criminal Intent”, and this reminds me of it. It’s just a great murder mystery. I also like how in the Elementary version, layers to Sherlock are being peeled back, and he is evolving due to his sobriety and, I think, Joan’s influence. But he’s also still the very acerbic Sherlock who doesn’t suffer fools, or really most everyone, lightly.

5. Pancake Bacon says:

I sort of gave up on BBC Sherlock. The “Baskerville” episode was a groan and made me want to give up, and it’s a good thing the Moriarty episode that came after it was great. The Elementary has such beautifully drawn characters, and Jonny Lee Miller’s eyes just express so much!

6. Paul says:

Excited this is coming back so soon and happy Moriarty is back as well. Thought Natalie Dormer as Irene was mediocre, but she makes a great villain.

7. liz says:

this show is pretty much perfect, so I’m excited to see where they take it. Having Moriarty obsessed with Watson is another fantastic little twist Elementary is doing on the classic. LOVE IT.

And having Lui and Dormer play off each other is an absolute joy to watch.

8. shaun t t25 says:

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog
    and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact
    enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently fast.

9. […] by Natalie Dormer of Game Of Thrones fame. Recently executive producer Rob Doherty sat down with TVLine and provided some insight into the return of the woman Sherlock once knew as Irene […]

10. anakl says:

Am I the only one who believes that Mycroft is working with Moriarty?

11. giok says:

probably is most likely, since Joan is moving out. What’s the clue about Sherlock taking out the drug packet out of the book? Will he get a relapse, as he will undoubtedly miss Joan’s presence: getting familiar with her face (as in “My Fair Lady”) and trying to suppress he may have feelings for Joan? Personally,I think Joan’s relationship with Mycroft stems for her feelings for Sherlock,and her deliberate denial she loves the guy!