Obama's Vote Goes to House of Cards, Game of Thrones -- Just Don't Spoil Breaking Bad for Him

Breaking BadPolitical machinations, power plays, espionage and intrigue — even when President Barack Obama sacks out in front of the couch, it seems, he takes the (Oval) office home with him.

Topping the Commander in Chief’s viewing list, per The New York Times: HBO’s Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire and Netflix’s House of Cards.

RELATED | Save the Dates! Your Guide to 75+ January Premieres, Finales and More

The Times quotes Obama as recently remarking on his envy of the efficiency of underhanded Cards protagonist Frank Underwood (played by Kevin Spacey).

“This guy’s getting a lot done,” the president joked.

In the past, Obama has waxed enthusiastic about Showtime’s Homeland, AMC’s Mad Men, the British drama Downton Abbey and HBO’s The Wire, a series he has referred to as one of “the greatest shows of all time.”

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 in Review: Best Couples, Break-Ups, Sex Scenes and More

According to the Times, the president is also in the middle of watching AMC’s Breaking Bad from the beginning; he reportedly often warns those in his circles not to spoil him about what’s ahead.

Noticeably absent from Obama’s list of favorites: ABC’s juicy, sexy Scandal, which chronicles a D.C. fixer’s ongoing romance/affair with the President of the U.S. — though, as series lead Kerry Washington told Entertainment Weekly earlier this year, former President Bill Clinton is a huge fan.

1. Imogen says:

lol you just had to work Scandal in there somehow?

House of Cards. Great choice.

2. David says:

Well at least he doesn’t watch reality crap like the X Factor or Duck Dynasty.

Now if only he would learn a few things from Frank Underwood, Walter White and Tyrion Lannister on how to deal with the Republicans.

• meleliot says:

So David, you think killing Republicans is the way to go? Because that’s what Walter White and Tyrion Lannister would do. Haven’t watched House of Cards, so I don’t know if there is murdering and thieving in that show, but your comment just reinforces the fact that you liberals are the problem.

• Regressive Hypocrisy 101 says:

I’d prefer he learn to not be a totalitarianism-obsessed petty tyrant war criminal hellbent on robbing Americans of their healthcare and Constitutional rights, thanks.

3. Gigi says:

Interesting that not one major network show is listed.

• dude says:

I don’t buy those are his favourite shows. That’s a list I would put together if I wanted to be accepted by a television snob. No one only watches highbrow fare. Saying your favourite shows are Breaking Bad and The Wire is like saying Citizen Kane is your favourite movie. Dude totally watches Scandal too, he just doesn’t want to say it.

• neha says:

I believe it. He did say a while back that their family’s favorite show is Modern Family, but as a highly-educated man, I believe that his personal favorite shows are the “good” ones. Last year (or two years ago?), he said that Homeland was his favorite, and it showed through his exchanges with DL and CD that they shared.

4. Jason says:

NSA? NDAA? Guantanimo? Drone killings? Obamacare? By all means, tell me more about what Obama likes on TV. I’m dying to know!

• Chris Leonardi says:

This is a TV news site, not CNN,

• Drew says:

To be fair, this article is taking information from a New York Times article, so the complaint isn’t as crazy as it seems. Should the New York Times really be using their chance to ask questions of the President to come up with material like this?

• Bill says:

Lol exactly. How about he run a country and watch Breaking Bad AFTER he run the country into the ground

• KSM says:

I mean, even the President needs some down time. Seriously, calm down people.

• Lena says:

• Drew says:

Actually, Bush was criticized on a regular basis whenever he went back to his ranch in Texas (which had a fully operational office for him to work from). So the racial theory is blown.

I think we can all agree that Clinton had way too much free time on his hands.

• David4 says:

Bush took the longest vacation ever in August of 2001.

Not like anything important was happening then… oh yeah the memos dealing with terrorists attacks using airplanes came out! Opps!

People are so one sided.

• Regressive Hypocrisy 101 says:

“You only get down time if you are a WHITE president in this country, otherwise people will be upset. I’m sure Bush, Clinton, and all the other WHITE presidents worked around the clock without vacations or down time. lol”

What does race have to do with anything, other than you using it as a pathetic diversion because you can’t defend the actions of the man you idolize?

• Regressive Hypocrisy 101 says:

“People are so one sided.”

No kidding. Funny how you tiptoe around Obama’s dodging and subsequent lying about Benghazi in a flagrant bid to scapegoat Islamist terrorism on the First Amendment.

• Regressive Hypocrisy 101 says:

“even the President needs some down time”

But how does he manage to find the time to catch up on television, what with all those vital Hawaiin and Martha’s Vineyard vacations he has to take his family on every time a fresh scandal or war crime pops up.

• Alan says:

yes because thats totally what this site normally covers, isnt it?
      lets all damn obama for having time off from his job like every other person in the world and likes to spend his free time watching tv like everyone else in the country he helps to run.

• Hannah says:

I’m dying to know what Guantanimo is, must be some exotic vacation spot, unlike Guantanamo.

5. gregk says:

How will he have time to watch all 64 episodes of Breaking Bad without getting spoilers? The show is so good that spoilers would not matter anyway. Will be interesting to see if he (hopefully) finds it to be better than The Wire (which I never watched).

• tvguy420 says:

why “hopefully”? maybe you should watch the wire.

• Nat says:

Yeah, seriously, watch The Wire. Breaking Bad is a great drama and all, but The Wire is excellent on a different level.

• Alan says:

the wire is the best show ever made, everyone should watch it.

• Pat D. says:

I really liked Breaking Bad overall, but the Wire is on another level. Same with The Shield.

• zxpennylane says:

I managed to watch the entire Breaking Bad series for the first time last week without getting any spoilers. I refused to read any articles about the show when it was airing, because I knew I wanted to watch it one day. My mom had to get after my dad, because he kept trying to accidentally spoil parts. Fortunately, he was always a few minutes late with his, “Oh, has ______ happened yet?”

So, it’s possible to watch Breaking Bad without it being ruined with spoilers. I’m sure if the president tells you not to ruin it with spoilers, you listen. For my dad, it took a few times before we got him to shut up all together. Haha.

6. Britta Unfiltered says:

I wondered why the Scandal reference was coming out of nowhere until I saw the Bill Clinton joke, then I laughed my ass off.
    If Obama is a Wire fan, I doubt he’s going to like Breaking Bad better than that. Most Wire fans are pretty hardcore about thinking that’s the best show of all time. They don’t change their minds no matter what else they watch. But I guess I’m the same way about Deadwood, so who am I to talk.
    I can’t imagine how anyone could go without hearing spoilers for Breaking Bad. I guess more power to him if he’s able to pull that off. He’s got good taste in shows, mostly.

• effniggahs says:

So sick of hearing how great the Wire is. It’s just like every other drug cop show out there, just because it has more cussing and killing. Big deal.

7. tvguy420 says:

@obama – walt dies

8. Paul says:

Who actually talks about network shows? They’re so lame. Where’s the sex and violence…well okay, there is plenty of violence on network shows, but no sex, and unrealistic dialogue where no one curses ever. I mean come on, Networks are going to have to make some strides and start opening up the envelope more if they want people to watch. It just means people will have to keep their kids on the kid channels.

9. Chuck Finley says:

“When I’m not busy destroying the healthcare system and telling lies, I enjoy watching House of Cards for an example of how to lie better”. You have to be a moron of epic proportions to vote for this imbecile.

• Lena says:

Yes, because we know all the other presidents were perfect at the job of running the country. I love sideline critics. Btw, try to contain your hate since this isn’t a news site…

• Chuck Finley says:

I feel like the first amendment gives me permission to post what the f*** I want on any site I want. Go find someone else to try to manage control freak.

• Mike says:

The First Amendment protects you from punishment by the Federal Government. Last I checked, tvline.com was just a website.

Read the damn Constitution before you try to reference it.

Imbecile.

• Chuck Finley says:

No Mike, it means we can express ourselves freely anywhere we want. We all know from other articles that you just cannot stand people saying things you don’t agree with and you will attemtp to justify certain groups stifling citizens free speech rights by claiming that we are only protected from the Government. No one cares. Go back to brooding over the fact that the majority of America doesn’t agree with you marrying your boyfriend. Imbecile.

• Regressive Hypocrisy 101 says:

“Read the damn Constitution before you try to reference it.”

Hey, Mike. Since you’re such a Constitutional scholar, maybe you can pinpoint the parts wherein it says that the President has the power to spy on Americans without warrant, force people to buy insurance, allow the Senate to unlawfully create new taxes, ignore the ruiles regarding recess appointments, prohibit guns and limit free speech in order to scapegoat Islamist terrorism in benghazi on a Youtube video.

Imbecile.

• Hannah says:

Oh Yeah, ‘Merica!

• DeShoun Garcia-Washington says:

But Chuck, you told me you love me and you wanted to marry me! Now came back to bed next to me, the Sex and the city marathon is about to start! <3

• Bill says:

It’s always the same with this guy. On Espn picking sweet 16 brackets, hiding in the office watching Homeland, guesting on the view. This guy has been on more tv shows than the last few presidents combined. That’s a fact

• Regressive Hypocrisy 101 says:

“”Yes, because we know all the other presidents were perfect at the job of running the country.”

Hey, moron. There’s a fine line between doing a “perfect” job running the country, and being a despotic pig who illegally spies on Americans, robs millions of their health insurance, drops bombs from drones on children and weddings in illegal wars, wages an unending war on the Consitution, assasinates people without trial and grants himself the singular power to indefinitely detain whoever he wants for whatever reason he wants via the NDAA.

10. Rich Abey says:

Breaking Bad yeah…a truly great show. But “The Wire”…seriously? One of the darkest shows ever. If you ever want to get utterly demoralized about the state of the human race, The Wire is the show for you. But then again Obama has seen his fair share of backstabbing, narcissistic people that The Wire is probably not much of a big deal to him.

• Pat D. says:

I’d disagree—if you want to lose all faith in humanity, you watch “The Shield”—nobody in that show, save maybe Claudette, is a shining example of humanity.

“The Wire” on the other hand, had flawed people who did have good intentions.

• effniggahs says:

the wire suuuuucks.

11. Drew says:

Yeah, Obama admiring Frank Underwood sounds about right. They have just about the same moral center. I have to wonder which one is smarter though. Frank manipulates the system and plays people in order to get what he wants while smelling like flowers to the public. Obama is about as subtle as a club to the head, but somehow manages to get his way in spite of his many flaws and weaknesses.

The point might go to Obama. His way takes much less effort. Underwood doesn’t get near ad many vacations

• David4 says:

You do realize that the president who took the most vacation time was W. right?

Honestly I can’t stand Obama, but what I hate more is people who can’t think for themselves and finally see the only difference he has with Bush is literally skin deep.

• ajintexas says:

Bush vacationed at his ranch which had an office where he continued to work. He also spent a lot of that ranch time with foreign leaders visiting, otherwise known as international relations. What he didn’t do is have his wife and kids take tax payer funded ski vacations or spend every Christmas in Hawaii at 15 million bucks a pop.

12. David4 says:

Bill Clinton is a fan of Scandal… what a shock. haha

I wonder what his favorite storyline is. haha

13. dreamlife613 says:

I read a quote one time that The Wire’s Omar Little was Obama’s favorite character. That is about the coolest thing ever.

It’s also awesome to know he has such good taste: Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, House of Cards. Breaking Bad. I don’t blame him for not watching Scandal (which I have tried several times to watch but just can’t get into it). He needs to check out Orange of the New Black, which I think it better than House of Cards.

14. Regressive Hypocrisy 101 says:

If Barack Obama had a son, he would behave like Joffrey.