The Voice Champ Tessanne Chin on Reggae-fied Beatles Tunes, the Drama of 'I Have Nothing' and the Heart & Adam Lambert Songs She Skipped!

Tessanne-Chin-the-voice“Do you trust me?” That’s a question Tessanne Chin found herself frequently answering (in the affirmative) in conversations with coach Adam Levine during her winning run on Season 5 of The Voice.

Indeed, in her freewheeling TVLine interview, the Jamaican powerhouse reveals she was initially reluctant about her mentor’s choices on everything from her Battle Round cover of “Next to Me” to future iTunes smashes like “Bridge Over Troubled Water” and “I Have Nothing.”

RELATED | ‘Reality Check’ Examine’s Tessanne’s Path to The Voice Victory, #TeamAdam Sabotage of Will, and X Factor‘s Nauseating Ending!

Still, as Tessanne learned, it’s one thing to be a “rock chick” in real life, but it’s quite another to use song selection to showcase one’s range and win over a massive audience on a reality singing competition. “A great song is a great song,” she explains.

RELATED | The Voice Season 5 Finale: 15 Additional Awards to Accompany Tessanne’s Win

Press play below to hear about the tracks Tessanne considered (but ultimately rejected), her initial (hilarious) response to being matched against fellow diva Donna Allen in the Battles, what had her distracted during her duet with Caroline Pennell on “Royals,” and her unique take on The Voice‘s terrifying SwayBots. (And for upcoming, in-depth Q&As with Jacquie Lee, Caroline Pennell, James Wolpert and more, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!)

1. Lumplestilskin says:

What a lovely girl. I wish her nothing but the very greatest success!

• Ano Nymous says:

Tess’ career will go nowhere. Unfortunately, as enjoyable and good as TV is, once again, it produced a winner who will NOT become the necessary commercial success that is the one thing the show desperately needs and ASAP!

Her “coronation song” was terrible when it should have been as memorable as “A Moment Like This,” “Inside Your Heaven” or even the boorish but ear worm “Home.” All of which were HITS! within a week of first being sung on television.

Tess has already started down the winner’s path of non-success than Candice Glover and Melanie Amaro entered and never emerged.

Her 15 minutes have 5 left and singing her song on a New Year’s Day float isn’t likely going to let her hit the pause button in extending her fame.

• everton says:

If we go buy the album she can be successful.people wait hours for a video game let’s break a record with her first album sale.see

2. RD says:

Lovely interview. Very natural,honest and funny.

3. queenrosered says:

Michael, you hit the proverbial nail on the HEAD regarding there being something wrong with American media (and perhaps to an extent the buying public) thinking a “perfect” singer shouldn’t sell well and shouldn’t or can’t be “commercial”! Even though Adam Lambert is one of (if not THE) best male pop/rock singers alive and is still making inroads, he should already be at top star status in the music biz. When I see some pop stars (whom shall remain nameless here, we KNOW who they are) lip-synch performances left and right and sail to the top of the charts I KNOW it’s due to media hype and promotion.On the Voice this season I was rooting for Tessane. I wish her luck because as Lambert himself said, AFTER the show results is when the REAL work begins!” Thanks!

4. Tyler says:

Tessanne is a hoot. Thanks for sharing the interview, Michael. Wish it was longer though. Loved it. Also enjoyed watching Reality Check. Melinda was a hoot too. Agree with everything she said.

5. Lori says:

Just love her.

6. Cassandra says:

She’s such a lovely person. I’m so pleased she won, and hope she can stay this grounded even with success.

7. Megyn says:

Great interview. I really hope Tessanne finds mainstream success.

• Ano Nymous says:

No chance of that. Tess is already further out of the public’s mind than Candice Glover.

• Terry says:

I wonder if Candice will ever release an album or if she’ll get Melanie Amaro’ed. Her release date has already been pushed back twice, and she isn’t even listed under the artists on Interscope’s website. I guess time will tell, but this isn’t American Idol nor X-Factor, it’s the Voice and I have no doubt that Tessanne will release an album in 2014 and hopefully find some success with it, in spite of negative nellies like you. heh.

8. Mick says:

Is Tessane Chinese Jamaican?

• Pinky says:

Yes, she is Chinese, and Jamaican, but to us Jamaicans, she is Jamaican. We don’t distinguish. If you were born and/or grew up there, you are considered Jamaican, regardless of your race.

• Sapphire says:

I like that clarification. “Out of many one people”. No separation of the races. We don’t roll like that. We all belong to the human race.

• No. She is not “Chinese and Jamaican”. She is Jamaican. Mixed-race Jamaican of primarily Chinese descent, if you want to get technical. Chinese Jamaican if you want to be technical but simple. Calling her “Chinese and Jamaican” is liking calling me “African and Jamaican” because I am black Jamaican.

9. Teeny Bikini says:

Love her. Yay 2 vids this week! Thanks!!

10. Terry says:

She is so likeable! Love her accent, could listen to her for hours. Thanks Michael. Merry Christmas!

11. BJ says:

Michael, you have done the best interview with Tessanne Chin. Your interview gave us a insight of how she got to the top. The first time Adam herd her sing, he told her she could win the voice, your interview took us step by step to how he couch her to win. I hope she keep him close, he could help her when she need someone to help her with difficult choices.

12. Love her and glad she won but what exactly where they smoking? The laughter just seemed fake.

13. Ryan says:

No mention of her duet with Celine? Major fail Slezak.

14. Amie says:

She looks so much prettier and younger without the Voice makeup/costume/camera team. Not sure if it’s just getting rid of pounds of makeup or old lady outfits, but she looks SO much better this way.

15. Miss O'Ginny says:

Just curious but why didn’t he ask her why Tessanne didn’t bring Donna back for her group performance on the finale? She even mentioned how close they were so it was kinda weird that was no explanation for that oversight.

• Larry says:

I think the finale was only for the top 20.

• Miss O’Ginny, you think it’s the *contestants* that “bring back” competitors for the group performances on the finale??? How much power do you think the contestants have anyway? As you can see from Tessane’s exit interview with Slezak, they don’t even choose their own songs from week to week.

16. greg says:

Somehow this interview look so fake to me, Michael’s laugh just ain’t real. Hmmmm !! not convinced. but I know Tessanne is all real and genuine here, you go Tess, you deserve this win, despite what other people think…. If you put your trust in God, NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR YOU. You can do anything, once you put your mind, heart, soul and GOD in it…

17. PhilPhat says:

Tessanne Chin already has a great family & married life; grace & beauty on the inside and outside; and the good will & favor of her native countrymen and international fans. Her vocal abilities have made a lasting impact globally – not only by winning Season 5 of ‘The Voice’, but by leaving outstanding video-taped performances, which will be remembered and replayed for years to come. She also walked away with US$100,000; a brand new 4-wheel drive Kia auto; a recording contract with Universal Music Group, and royalties from some of the sales of her iTune songs. Moreover, she has a good chance of attaining a very lucrative singing career in 2014 and beyond. Congratulations Tessanne!
    “Count your many blessings, name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord hath done” (Johnson Oatman Jr. 1897). As 2014 approaches, I pray that we all could be so blessed!

• Sapphire says:

Great comment. I got into the voice late into the season. I always thought she had an unfair advantage over the other contenders because of her musical background in Jamaica. In any event, I found her to be phenomenal; she has GOD on her side; she is very humble; she will do great in mainstream American music industry. I wish her all the best.

18. JM says:

What a lovely person, inside and out. Wish her all the best!

• My Alter Ego says:

Indeed, JM, she is lovely both inside and out and she worked hard to win this competition! May she reach the success that she most definitely deserves!

19. Becky says:

Great Interview!
    Hope you are interviewing Alex & Sierra too

20. HTGR says:

I was a Jacquie fan first and foremost and her performances did it for me the most overall, but Tessanne DOES have a great voice, she is VERY talented (she did catch my ear all the way back at her audition as one to watch), and I hope she has a ton of success. It’s always a tricky thing, so we will see, hopefully she makes it. She seems very nice.

21. cjc says:

I know I’m way behind on this, but what a fantastic interview! I had no idea how funny Tessanne is. Hilarious! I loved the part about trying not to choke on the confetti. Please bring her in as a guest on Reality Check sometime!

22. I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my
    own weblog and was wondering what all is required to get set up?
    I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
    I’m not very internet smart so I’m not 100% sure. Any tips
    or advice would be greatly appreciated. Appreciate it

23. Bridget says:

Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme of this site.
    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times
    it’s very hard to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and visual appearance.
    I must say you have done a superb job with this. Also,
    the blog loads extremely quick for me on Opera.
    Excellent Blog!

24. Appreciating the persistence you put into your site
    and in depth information you provide. It’s great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same
    old rehashed information. Great read! I’ve saved your site and I’m adding your RSS
    feeds to my Google account.