Scoop: Nick Nolte Joins Fox's Broadchurch Adaptation as Series Regular

Nick Nolte BroadchurchFox’s Gracepoint ensemble has added another killer name.

Three-time Oscar nominee Nick Nolte has joined the network’s forthcoming Broadchurch adaptation as a series regular, TVLine has learned.

The Luck actor will play Jack Reinhold, a stubborn, unmarried, willful man who has lived in Gracepoint for 20 years. He runs the kayak rental on the beach as well as the local wildlife observation program, where the murdered boy was one of his volunteers.

RELATED | Scoop: Marcia Cross Eyes TV Comeback as Fatrick‘s Mother in Fox Comedy Pilot

He joins an impressive cast that includes Doctor Who‘s David Tennant (who also headlined Broadchurch), Breaking Bad‘s Anna Gunn, Oscar nominee Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook) and Michael Peña.

Gracepoint is scheduled to begin filming in January on Vancouver Island in Victoria, for broadcast during the 2014-2015 season.

1. johnhelvete says:

10 episodes according to another site.

2. EL says:

I’m assuming this is the David Bradley role.

3. Jaks says:

First original character for the show. One can’t help but think the killer could be a new character. i guess that depends on if they don’t follow the former series finale. Seems like a new version of the character who owned the paper shop and was the boy scout leader.

4. Matt says:

Is it just going to be the same story? If so, that’s terrible.

• Barb says:

I hope they make a LOT of changes from the original otherwise what is the point. That was one of my biggest issues with The Bridge which I saw the original Nordic version of and so much of the dialog was the same (when translated into English).

5. Amanda says:

I’m excited, but haven’t we reached the point where we can just start calling Gracepoint?

6. sarah says:

the one on ITV was good, but the final episode lacked punch and i guest the killer in the penulitmute episode. not sure we need a remake so soon after the original one but lets see if this remake gives us a better finale.

7. amy says:

Is it too late to hope that Arthur Darvill reprises his role? There just isn’t enough Rory Williams on tv right now.

8. toycannon says:

This series will just be a pale imitation unless they add Olivia Colman to the U.S. version. Her “Ellie Miler” was the soul of the series.

9. dsrbroadway says:

They’re getting a lot of big names on this thing, are we sure they’re actually doing enough to change the story to keep those of us that know how it ends interested? As of yet, I’m really not. And don’t get me started on Tennant using an American accent!

10. Laura says:

I agree Olivia Coleman was amazing! I want to like this version since I loved Broadchurch. Of course there were storylines that didn’t make sense like Hardy’s bad heart and Ollie really didn’t have much of a point other than being Ellie’s nephew and town reporter,

11. Captain_Obvious says:

This will be inferior in nearly every way to the original.

• Tess says:

Yeah, even though they keep adding big names to the cast, I keep thinking there is no way it will be better than the original. At best it can only match it. Every single character named has been a virtual clone of a character from the original (they didn’t even bother to change Ellie Miller – Anna Gunn is playing the exact same character as Olivia Colman which just sets it up to disappoint given how great Olivia was). Surely those who would be most interested in this version are those who watched the original and it doesn’t sound remotely like they are changing it to make it different and if we all know the ending, why watch the same show all over again?

Right now I still feel like even with all the big names added, the only one that makes me want to see this show is David Tennant.

12. Apples says:

A distinguished cast, but will the writing live up the promise ie have some originality of its own?

13. kirads09 says:

Nolte certainly looking older – but healthy and good. I will be watching this.

• Swan says:

Nolte is going to be my neighbor as the set of the kayak shop is directly across the street from my shop Asgard :) The roles that Nick Nolte has chosen are intriguing and I have a feeling he will deliver what the bloggers are hoping for – A change from the original roles of Broadchurch. He is bound to bring his insightful and inspiring spirit through yet another masterful transformation. I can’t wait for the opening shoot as it includes the characters walking by my little mom and pop shop on the avenue :)

14. Bob says:

So instead of selling newspapers and such, he’ll be renting kayaks and canoes.

15. Beverly says:

The one good thing about making Broadchurch, as least you will be understand more of dialog.

16. Kourtney-Anne says:

Does anyone know any official dates or filming locations? It would be nice to know!

17. Alex says:

What understand about this is, I live in the area this is being filmed, if there is a point where they may boy looking for a boy aged in his teens, I am the one, very exuberant for the possible chance to be in this film!