Jimmy Fallon Hosts Saturday Night Live: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches

Jimmy Fallon SNL hostWhen you’ve got Jimmy Fallon hosting Saturday Night Live — and Justin “bring it on down to Wrapinville…” Timberlake hanging around Studio 8H as musical guest — expectations are going to be high. And that brings me to the good news and the bad news of this week’s installment.

On the positive side of the equation, there was a palpable excitement coursing through the episode: The punch lines seemed sharper; the regular cast seemed more energized; the special guests (Paul McCartney! Barry Gibb! Madonna! Outgoing NY mayor Michael Bloomberg!) seemed more surprising; and Fallon and Timberlake brought a winningly goofy energy to every sketch in which they participated.

My only complaint? Why can’t SNL operate at this heightened energy level every week? Sure, not all hosts are created equal, but the Fallon-fronted episode was like a comedic space shuttle compared to the slapdash bottle rocket that was last week’s John Goodman-hosted catastrophe.

Anyhow, back to happier subjects! Let’s recap the week’s best and worst sketches:

BEST: BABY, IT’S COLD OUTSIDE
Fallon and Cecily Strong offered up a lovely rendition of the flirty carol — and then, after a “12 minutes later” chyron — the duo began singing a very different tune. There was Strong, trying on Fallon’s hockey Jersey and wanting to know when he’d make good on his barside promise to go antiquing. There was Fallon, wondering if he ought to call a cab and delivering the hilarious lyric, “Can you take the trash when you go?” Topped by an unexpectedly sweet ending, this proved to be one of the more charming sketches in recent SNL history.

BEST: “(DO IT IN MY) TWIN BED”
Not at all sweet, but just as funny, this pre-taped bit found the women of SNL bringing their boyfriends (including a rapping Fallon) back home to their childhood bedrooms, where a very small mattress proved to be “the only option where we can get it poppin’.” Packed with amazing lyrics (“just shirt, no pants, like Winnie the Pooh”), visuals (Cecily’s old cat eyeballing the action) and randomness (“now it’s a whole thing with Jean”), this one’s an instant holiday classic.

HONORABLE MENTION: BILLIE JEAN KING ON WEEKEND UPDATE
Kate McKinnon slayed it as she described the Olympic delegate’s plan to protest Russia’s anti-gay policies at the Sochi Olympics. “There is no demographic in this world that gives less of a flip than 70-year-old lesbians,” she growled. “All I need to survive is a clean canteen and a sweater.” I was gasping with laughter by the the time BJK got down to describing women’s tennis as having “the primal grunts of two she-beasts with arms like the masts of a pirate ship.”

CRAZIEST: BARRY GIBB TALK SHOW
Fallon and Timberlake brought back this recurring sketch — with Madonna (or maybe a Madame Tussauds wax figure of Madge?) as one of the guests — and it was Rated B…for Bananas. Honestly, I could only understand about two-thirds of what Fallon’s Gibb brother was saying, but I did howl when he threatened to stuff a nine-iron down Paul Ryan’s throat and carrying him around like a golf bag.

WORST: GAY SCROOGE
The Ghost of Christmas Past takes the classic literary character back in time — where he realizes he was a mincing queen. Somewhere between concept and execution, this one got very, very stale.

Your turn! What did you think of Fallon as SNL host? Grade the episode in the poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. LOL says:

Not as good as Fallon’s Xmas show from 2 years ago, but it had its moments. Poor sound and screaming audience members didn’t help. “Baby It’s Cold Outside” and “(Do It In My) Twin Bed” were the two best elements.

• Amelia says:

Agreed. The audience drove me nuts in this episode. Laughing is fine, but screaming when the cast is trying to do the skits is not cool. Kick ‘em out!

2. ggny says:

Cecily Strong is a star in the making. She wont be at SNL for too much longer

3. Brendan says:

This one was amazing… And def loved Cecily in the Pens jersey ;)

I also completely agree with all of your picks!

4. Tran 2.0 says:

BEST EPISODE EVER PERIOD. Best sketches of the night: Family Feud (NBC stars vs. CBS stars), (Do It In My) Twin Bed where the women of SNL were totally hilarious as wannabe Pussycat Dolls, Wrappinville with Justin Timberlake and of course The Barry Gibb Talk Show (long time coming). Overall, this was the best if not one of the best SNL episodes of the season. I give the Fallon & Timberlake episode of SNL an A+. :-)

• WireDream says:

You are insane. This was one of the unfunniest episodes in memory. Save for the digital short and the “Baby It’s Cold a Outside” number, there was nary a laugh. Someone needs to smack d0uchbag Timberlake in the groin. He’s awful.

• Sg. Grant says:

I think you were busying sacked a deck instead of watching the show. This was an epic episode of SNL. Best episode in a long time.

5. Abby says:

How could you NOT mention the most hilarious Family Feud sketch? Whole show was awesome.

• Kim R says:

I know, right? Family Feud was so funny, especially Justin’s impression of Jimmy. hahaha I liked the entire episode except Gay Scrooge. It didn’t seem to go anywhere but I’ve seen a lot worse! I give the episode an A+. :D

6. ninergrl6 says:

My favorite part of the episode was Justin’s impersonation of Jimmy during Celebrity Family Feud. I knew they wouldn’t be able to pull it off without cracking up.

7. Ryan says:

Family Fued was by far my favorite but then again, I love when Jimmy loses it (although I know some people despise it).

Thank god they removed the awful screamin girl. She ruined the cold open for me.

8. critter42 says:

I wondered if they were going to do the Barry Gibb talk show since Robin passed away, and I felt kinda weird throughout the sketch – but when the REAL Barry showed up at the end, that made me feel better about it. I noticed that Barry was extremely emotional, especially during the closing credits (look at the hug between him and Fallon) – today would have been Maurice and Robin’s 64th birthday.

• misery chick says:

AWWWW, really sweet that you know Robin & Maurice’s birthday!
      I also felt weird when JT was playing Robin (thank goodness he didn’t over play him!), and felt relieved when Barry came on. So hard to believe Barry’s the oldest and only surviving brother…bless him.

9. Dee says:

Yea the damn people screaming in the audience pissed me off! But I basically agree with everything!! The entire show was awesome except for that one dud in the Christmas Carol sketch.

• Bob says:

Sounded like it was just one stupid girl screaming out, especially during the cold open. Hopefully security removed her at the commercial break.

10. David says:

It was the funniest episode of SNL in years. Fallon and Timberlake did not disappoint. Timberlake’s impression of Fallon was dead on and I loved how it broke Fallon up. I was excited to see Madonna doing a cameo, But she seemed quite unprepared (very unusual for her). She needs to stick to music and give up acting. If you can’t portray yourself in a comedy sketch and make it funny, acting is not for you.

11. lmjo says:

Not quite as funny as I hoped it would be, but still better than most everything else SNL has put out this season.

My favorite was “Family Feud” where Fallon and Timberlake could hardly look at each other without cracking. (I’m honestly surprised Fallon didn’t crack more throughout the night). My one critique would be: Why was Fallon’s impersonation more of a Sheldon impersonation than a Jim Parsons impersonation? Weren’t they supposed to be impersonating the actors? That said, I thought Fallon’s Sheldon was pretty good.

12. Lena says:

This episode was nothing short of epic. First time I’ve laughed OUT LOUD at this show in months. Everyone brought their A-game and it was fantastic

13. Dr. Bombay says:

I wanted to grab a cab to 30 Rock, break into the studio and strangle that girl who kept screeching like a banshee. So distracting…

14. Jacqi says:

I was cracking up at the family feud sketch! Jt as jimmy was hysterical!

15. Kim S. says:

None of the new cast members have made much of an impression. Noel Wells’ Zooey Deschanel impression doesn’t hold a candle to Abby Elliott’s Zooey.

16. Katie says:

For me, the Kimye sketch was definitely worst, but overall I thought it was a great show! I definitely wish it could be that good every week!

17. cjeffery7 says:

best ep this season, but somehow it didnt really make me laugh? there must be something wrong with me. the closest i came to LOL-ing was BJK and Do It On My Twin Bed.

18. Ren says:

It says something when the ~worst sketches of the episode are pretty funny too. I really like how the entire cast was utilized. And of course, you can’t go wrong with Fallon x Timberlake.

19. N says:

First great one for a LONG time!

20. danin says:

About time! I watched the entire episode.Giving it a solid B.

21. Claudia S. says:

I think that was Kleen Kanteen, which is a specific brand of stainless steel water bottle.

22. Philip says:

I didn’t really enjoy this episode/ Alot of the same sketches. Justin can’t do anything different than Gibb Talk show and Omeletteville? And I detest all this Fallon/Timberlake bromance crack me up stuff that they have going on as well as Fallon’s self made importance (Getting McCartney, Madonna) and the inconsistencies in some of the sketches like Family Fued. Did like some of the sketches like Twin Bed and Cold Outside.

However, I didn’t really appreciate this episode as much as others did. Sorry if that makes me strange or oldfashioned.

23. toia says:

It was a better episode. 5 minutes in I felt a bit tired of the Jusitn and Jimmy show feel it had, that may just be me thing. For me the Twin Bed skit was the best thing they have done in a long time. I would add they need to not do wake up with Kim and Kanye, it was not as good and will continue to feel forced if they keep doing it. This episode had a much better energy the show needs to treat every episode like this one. It’s like they punish people who watch every week by not trying on weeks they don’t have big or exciting quests. Some of us just watch the show we don’t care if it’s that old guy from that show that used to be ok or IT we will watch regardless do your job be funny.

24. cuius says:

Main worry – I bet they’ve blown the budget for the rest of the season – think the new year’s episodes are going to be a struggle

25. DAVID says:

This was the first time in (well since the last time Timberlake hosted) that I watched the entire episode. There were some dumb spots — but overall A+! I wish SNL could be this good every week. Nice plugs for the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon too! Madonna was great too!

26. i havent laughed that much in ages!!! best snl in a long time. my fave sketches were the barry gibbs sketch. i had a sneaking feeling that barry gibb himself would appear and he did!!! the wrap sketch and do it on my twin bed were fantastic as well.

27. Shaun says:

Think Cecily is oddly attractive.I liked her singing live and recorded.

28. Tran 2.0 says:

I can pictured Kate, Cecily, Noel, Vanessa, Nasim and (Lil’ Baby) Aidy as a “dream girl group”. IMAGINE THAT :-)

29. Joey says:

Great episode. My favorite sketches are Family Feud and The Barry Gibb Talk Show.

30. Cara Varela says:

I was confused seeing Chris Rock in the credits even though he wasn’t in any sketches! Could have been great!

31. Tricia says:

I found it pretty predictable, actually. I’m all for bringing back past gags, but there has to a point where they retire them. Bring it on down to whatever-ville has gotten old and I’m not sure anyone didn’t see The Barry Gibb Talk show coming. The new stuff however, was pretty great. I loved how Brooks played himself on Family Feud and how that sketch was primarily made, I’m sure, make Jimmy crack up. And I LOVED Twin Bed, I hope there will be more songs from the ladies of SNL soon. All in all, a better than average episode.

And I really hope the girl who kept screaming during the cold open was promptly ousted to the cold streets of NYC.

• misery chick says:

I had a pretty good idea that ‘The Barry Gibb Show’ would be be on, and when it did come on I pretty much squealed, laughed & cried through the whole darn thing, MUCH to my hubby’s shock & bewilderment. LOVED that Megyn Kelly character didn’t have a single word!

32. William says:

I agree that Cecily Strong has super stardom written all over her. Attractive, funny, understated and has a intangible factor that’s required in the entertainment world. Has an extremely bright future.

33. A.D. says:

Best show in a long time!

34. Tara says:

I think the episode was great. My least favorite sketch was the Waking up with Kimye. I mean you have Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake and you don’t use them in a sketch at all? Plus it just went on too long. My least favorite sketch that actually used the host was Scrooge one, but even that wasn’t as awful as some if the best sketches previous weeks!

35. David says:

Why does Kate Mckinnon keep getting credit for being funny? She’s not funny and her facial expressions are painful to watch. She needs to go.

• Olive says:

You’re completely delusional.

• Bob says:

com·e·dy ˈkämədē/noun

1. Professional entertainment consisting of jokes and satirical sketches, intended to make an audience laugh.

fun·ny ˈfənē/adjective

1. Causing laughter or amusement; humorous.

mo·ron ˈmôrˌän/noun

1. a stupid person.
      2. you.

• Tran 2.0 says:

Come on David. Kate McKinnon is the real reason why I enjoyed her so much on SNL as does Cecily Strong and the rest of the female cast including newbie Noel Wells.

• Terry says:

Are you out of your cotton picking mind? Kate is the best snl player ever man or woman.

36. Bob says:

The reason SNL can’t do this level of energy on every show is because every show doesn’t have Jimmy Fallon as host. He’s previous SNL, has his own show where they do bits all the time, and when he says, “This is what we should do.”, people, especially Lorne, listen. Most hosts don’t get that involved and don’t carry that much weight (re Power).

37. sarah says:

I rarely watch SNL anymore. I do love Jimmy and I thought this was great, for the most part. I did not like the Kimye sketch, just did not find it funny. The gay scrooge was not that funny either. I did like all the rest! The Celeb family feud was great and I loved that Jimmy gave Justin a gesture to tone it down and he did the opposite! It was great.
    I also really like the Now xmas sketch and Baby it’s cold outside.
    I would have loved the opener but that one audience member ruined it and they either kicked her out or told her to be quiet.

38. Terry says:

The stupid girl screaming through wrappingville about gave me a fit. Im afraid they will drop Brookes for a black woman when they come back,

39. Arthur says:

Jimmy simply sucks. He is like a chocolate covered turd. He will fail faster than Conan did as Tonight Show Host.

40. joelscorp says:

I do not watch that regularly, and didn’t like the sticky sweet ending on “Baby”. Why ruin a great concept? But the biggest problem was Madonna. What was her point for being there unto herself and what did she take an hour to put in to her mouth? Anybody know?

41. joelscorp says:

I like Cecily in skits, but her approach to Weekend Update seems off. She’s not snarky enough and her lines don’t seem like “her” jokes as they do when Meyers or Poehler says them. It’s not just about having a loud voice and a cute smile.

42. JenInChicago says:

I am done with Timberlake being on this show so often. Seriously…enough, already. I also don’t much care for the single musical guest & host deal – i.e. Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, etc.

I completely fast forwarded through the the musical bits….Did Timberlake sing any Christmas songs? I kind of liked when Buble did that, considering it is the Christmas show and all….