X Factor's Simon Cowell Teases 'Larger Than Life' Replacement for Demi Lovato, New Rule Changes

Demi Lovato Quits X FactorDemi Lovato confirmed on Wednesday night that she will be vacating her judge’s chair on The X Factor to focus on her music career — and Simon Cowell has someone “spectacular” in mind to take her place.

RELATED | The X Factor Season 3 Performance Finale Recap: Dream Until Your Dreams Come True

“I started this show being a singer and a musician, and it’s time that I go back to that,” TV Guide Magazine quotes Lovato as saying backstage after the Season 3 performance finale. “I’m so excited for 2014 because I’m going to dedicate it completely and totally to music.”

As for who might succeed Lovato — provided there is some semblance of a fourth season of the waning warbler contest — show boss Cowell told the press, “There is somebody in mind who we’ve wanted for a while for this show that has suddenly become available…. [H]e’s larger than life and would be spectacular.”

Then again, Cowell may need two new judges, seeing as he’s been hinting that his own days at the panel may be over.

The prospective Season 4 will also boast changes of the non-personell variety, as well. As Cowell shared on Twitter:

Will you miss Demi, or do you welcome fresh blood? And any early theories on the new male judge on Simon’s radar?

Comments (35)

• Oh Simon,just put the show out of it’s misery,please…

Comment by RD – December 19, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just cancel the thing already. S1 ratings were good but under expectations, S2 ratings were decent but down and then S3 completely tanked. See the trend? Ratings for a potential S4 won’t be pretty.

Comment by Choco – December 19, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The ‘rules’ change every year! Talk about an extremely unstable show…

Comment by Blair – December 19, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • EXTREMELY unstable. New judges, rules changes… what a mess.

Comment by Lex – December 19, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have an idea for this show: Get four top-ranking record executives as the judges and make the prize a record contract for the winner and the label. That way the judges would be totally invested in their acts and wouldn’t give them crappy songs and staging.

Comment by Sam – December 19, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kind of a Shark Tank + the Voice then

Comment by Para – December 19, 2013 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh shut it, Simon. This show will be canceled by FOX and you don’t get a say in that.

Comment by Ray – December 19, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone shoot me now.
    I hope the “rule change” consists of them dropping the obnoxious amount of stage decor (dancers included). I mean…if we’re going to be plagued with a 4th season it might as well be on some of our terms

Comment by Kaba – December 19, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love how people say they ar “plagued” with it. If you don”t like it there are a millionn other things to watch, listen to or read,

Comment by Jason – December 19, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get Paulina out of that show, she is ruinning it to pieces

Comment by Tim – December 19, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If FOX renews this garbage then they really are in dire straits. This should be canceled even by NBC standards… actually wait this would be considered a huge hit on NBC I take that back.

Comment by Will – December 19, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This comment is so 2008, NBC is doing much better now.

Comment by Slowride – December 19, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Cowell may need two new judges” let’s hope for three. If he stays, he might still need two new ones.

Comment by Michael Sacal – December 19, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • when he said 2 new judges he ment 1 for demi and the other judge to replace HIM because he is going back to judge the x factor uk season 11

Comment by antonio raffoul – December 21, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • and when I say three I include Paulina. If it’s only two, make it Demi and Paulina.

Comment by Michael Sacal – December 21, 2013 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Simon was talking about X Factor UK because X Factor US is so canceled…

Comment by Para – December 19, 2013 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • XFactor is a overproduced and producer manipulated mess. Simon’s arrogance used to be entertaining, now it’s just obnoxious.

Comment by qj201 – December 19, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sad to see Demi eave. I have enjoyed wathcing her.

Comment by Gary – December 19, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I truly don’t understand people. If you all hate the show why watch/comment?

Comment by Chablis – December 19, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t watch anymore,other than the odd recap. I,like everyone else on this forum,am entitled to voice my opinion-and it seems like my view is in the majority.

Comment by RD – December 19, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Either cancel the show or fire Simon. If XF has any chance of surviving, I think it will have to be under new management.

Comment by Larc – December 19, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “I’m so excited for 2014 because I’m going to dedicate it completely and totally to music.” Oh, swell…..

Comment by Boston2AZ – December 19, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She looks terrible as a blonde.

Comment by tobygees – December 19, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get rid of Paulina over ANYone else. Ugh.

Comment by Brock – December 19, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it isn’t Justin Bieber.
    I actually thought X Factor turned out better than the overrated Voice this season, so I hope Simon has some luck and manages to get it back for a 4th season. Alex and Sierra are just as good as Tessanne, in my opinion.

Comment by matt – December 19, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Voice is nearly unwatchable. I like some of the performances(Caroline, Jaquie, BEarded guy) and I like Christina Aguilera and Blake, But that Adam Levine guy never shuts up and just says the same thing over and over. He seems to be a disingenuis tool and I can’t stand him. I wish they wouldn’t spend so much time on the judges comments. Oh and if I have to hear the words. What does your coach mean to you?” Or what does this experience mean to you?” one more time I am going to vomit. As much as people criticized Christina Millian at least it provided a little bit of variety.(And she wasn’t bad to look at) Carson Daly’s interviewing skills seems to be asking the same dull question over and over. You would think after having a radio show for many years and a talk show for over 10 years the guy would have developed some kind of interview skills. But no the guy is a boring dolt.

Comment by Jason – December 19, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree!! “What does winning this mean to you?” Stupidest question ever!! What the hell do you think they are going to say?? “Oh, this doesn’t mean a thing. I was just bored, so thought I would audition!” Come on!! They all ask this, and more than once!!! And the judges comments do go on and on and on. Also, they preview way to much in the “coming up” segment!

Comment by Tom Jones (@kingkong98270) – December 20, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show is a mess, cut your losses and business with simon Fox and let him focus on his show suffering in UK instead and his other shows and endeavours there! When your finale is beaten by The Sing-off your need to be done for! No one wants this show rescued again no matter what desperate measures Simon is coming up with!

Comment by DavidSask – December 19, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please please get rid of Paulina. She should not be a judge. Says the same thing over and over. Sad and pathetic. Half the times what she says does not even make sense.

Comment by Mary – December 20, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who is it gonna be? Justin Bieber? IM CALLING IT NOW!!

Comment by Anthony – December 28, 2013 01:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In all honesty ive been a fan since day one, but these rules have been changed tooo many times. The 4 chair challenge was not so brillant Simon. I think he should keep the judges home visit, have some better themes for the week, some better judges ( keep Kelly, add Redfoo, let PAULINA GO ) & songs ( tired of the same recycled songs ) I think the show can go much further . I still have faith for one more xf season ♥

Comment by Quise D. Williams – December 31, 2013 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to throw Eminem’s name in the ring for one of the judges’ seat in 2014. In 2009 Simon was quoted as having offered Eminem an offer and Em accepted. (Bad timing was a factor) Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but I really do believe that if they brought him on it would change the course of X Factor and make it relevant. The Country Thing has been done, so has the R & B and Soulful/Jazzy thing……. oh, and the always ‘Pop’ sound. It’s time to shake all these music sitcom’s to the core and bring in some fresh meat; Eminem!!!!!

Eminem stated- “No disrespect to the current judges but you need people who are global, platinum-selling stars. You need to prepare contestants for what it’s really like out there, and what sort of pressure you are going to be under. So much average talent comes out of these reality shows. A hip-hop star will never win a show like the ‘X Factor‘ without somebody like me on the panel. It needs somebody in power to open a door for them.”

Simon—who once referred to Eminem as a “genius”—responded to Em’s critiques by reportedly inviting him on the show. “It would be great to have him on as a guest judge. Em – I can call him that because we are on first name terms – the job is yours.”

Discuss.

Comment by Julianna – January 13, 2014 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the x-factor always will but I wish demi would stay but what made her a judge in the first place was her music so I don’t blame her who ever it is better don’t disappoint n if simon does stop judging he said he wants Mikey Cyrus so I think she will probably fill in for simon

Comment by kaila – April 18, 2014 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post