Sherlock Boss Steven Moffat on Pending Season 4 Renewal: 'Of Course It Will Happen'

Get More: Renewals

Sherlock Season 4A fourth season of Sherlock is as inevitable as the iconic detective’s return from the dead.

On the eve of the PBS Masterpiece smash’s third season premiere (January 19, 9:59 pm), series cocreator Steven Moffat assures TVLine that the show will go on. And on. And (possibly) on some more.

VIDEO | Sherlock Season 3 Sneak Peek: He’s Alive!

“I don’t suppose there’s an official commission for it yet, but of course it will happen,” he says of Season 4. “It’s inordinately successful. Assuming everyone was willing to turn up for it, which everyone apparently is, then we’ll carry on making them.”

Benedict Cumberbatch seems more than eager to turn up for a fourth season — and beyond. Last year, the crazy-busy actor told TVLine, “There’s no reason for us to stop if it’s still being adored and we still enjoy doing it. We only do three [episodes] at a time, so I think the normal fear of over-stretching the mark and just doing too many [doesn’t apply]. It’s good to leave people wanting more.

RELATED | Sherlock‘s Benedict Cumberbatch Breaks His Silence on That ‘Mortifying’ Downton Abbey ‘PR Disaster’

“I’d like to see [Sherlock] getting older,” he continued. “We’re starting quite young. It’s rare to see Holmes and Watson at the beginning of their relationship; we usually join them in their mid-to-late 40s or 50s. I’ve got a way to go. I mean, I’m only [in my mid-30s].”

For his part, Moffat sees no end in sight for the franchise. Shares the exec: “From the POV of [cocreator] Mark [Gatiss] and myself, we would probably carry on a long while.”

Tags: ,

Comments (12)

• I love this. This is a situation that both stars have become huge but want to continue to do the show. That is a rarity now a days.

Comment by Tori Melching (@lizjaxe) – December 19, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree! And I also love how willing BBC is to work around Martin and Benedict’s schedule. It seems like a good situation all around.

Comment by kd86953 – December 19, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s a rarity because they’re British actors, not egotistical American actors.

Comment by Bob – December 20, 2013 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are sooooo right.

Comment by Lizzie B – January 6, 2014 05:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think you’re forgetting they also don’t have to work 16-hour (or longer) days for 5-8 months out of the year making 10-24 episodes a season.

Comment by reccer – January 17, 2014 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Their 3 mini-movies/episodes format for each season is perfect. Can’t wait till January.

Comment by GeoDiva – December 19, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “It’s rare to see Holmes and Watson at the beginning of their relationship” Young Sherlock Holmes was awesome. They should have made more of those movies.

Comment by Michael Sacal – December 19, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on M-air-in..

Comment by maryn – December 20, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My only wish is they would expand each series to 8, maybe 10 episodes. 3 is awfully short given how long we have to wait between series

Comment by tstephen51 – December 21, 2013 01:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, but it’s 3×1.5 hours – it comes out to 6 regular 45 minute episodes, which isn’t actually that bad.
      They’re concentrated so it seems shorter than it is.

Comment by Henh6928 – December 24, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brilliant series! Leaves you wanting more! Actually like the fact that’s its a longer episode but shorter season. Brilliant acting, great stories with loads of mind boggling connections to work out! Will miss it…….terribly !
    On another note…. Do you think I could get the recipe for the knock out drops used at the family Xmas get together?
    You know what they say? ” you can chose your friends, but not your family”!

Comment by Bev – January 14, 2014 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would watch this show every year until I die. Keep those series coming!

Comment by charissa29 – February 1, 2014 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post