Exclusive

Exclusive: PBS Touts Potent Downton Abbey-Sherlock Pairing in First Promo

Downton Abbey and Sherlock — two great tastes that taste great together.

PBS Masterpiece has released the first promo touting its upcoming Sunday one-two punch of Downton Season 4 (bowing Jan. 5 at 9 pm) and Sherlock Season 3 (premiering Jan. 19 at 9:58 pm immediately following Downton) — and we have your exclusive first look at the killer mash-up.

VIDEO | Sherlock Season 3 Video: New Teaser Trailer

The overall theme: There’s life after death — figuratively so for widow Mary and literally so for dearly departed Sherlock.

Press PLAY below and then hit the comments with an answer to this question: Which PBS Masterpiece asset are you most looking forward to having back?

1. shuayb says:

Caught Downton during my summer internship in leeds and all I can say is WOW.
    I think the show is much better w/out Matthew. Mary is Mary again. And the Dowager countess is also brilliant. The most hilarious zingers she has ever pronounced.

2. Pam Burns says:

Looking forward to both shows. Downtown is good, Sherlock is brilliant!

3. Lorie says:

Love both shows so much! RL got in the way, so I never got to see S3 of Downton Abbey. I plan to watch it during my week off after Xmas. Can’t wait to catch up!

4. Shaun says:

Season 4 of Downton is pretty good.Really miss Cybil and Matthew.

5. Mark says:

I find it kind of odd that MT is overlapping these series instead of running them in succession. Sherlock is only 3, albeit longer, episodes … Downtown only 8 for the 4th season (plus, I guess, the xmas special tacked on at the end). I’d rather a longer run of fresh programming than the pile on in the winter. Am I alone?

• Shaun says:

Uh,they’re new and airing in January….what’s your beef?

• Marc says:

No. You’re not alone. Masterpiece only has the budget for a certain amount of programming. Even with preemptions during pledge drives and for some holidays, there remain weeks of repeats, and this will only add at three weeks to them. I know that they should have new episodes of Endeavour, Marple, and Case Histories as well as the last five episodes of Poirot. With Sherlock starting in January and Mr Selfridge probably in the spring after Downton Abbey ends, I would assume that I guess we should expect even more summer reruns.

6. Kim Zep says:

Both are excellent but truth be told, I am counting the minutes until the Sherlock series returns. It is perfection: from the writing to the acting, the production and filming,and including the superb musical scoring. Thank you BBC/Masterpiece!

7. Rachel Duncan says:

Looking forward eagerly to the brilliant Sherlock!