Gossip Girl Vet Kevin Zegers Joins Cast of Fox's Upcoming Broadchurch Remake

Get More: Casting News

Kevin-Zegers-Broadchurch-GracepointOne of the most high-profile entries of the 2014-2015 broadcast season continues to take shape.

Kevin Zegers (Gossip Girl) has joined the cast of Fox’s Gracepoint — a remake of the British sensation Broadchurch — in the series regular role of local reporter Owen Burke.

RELATED | Sleepy Hollow: More Corbin? Suspect Sin Eater? An Ichabbie Weekend? And More Burning Qs

Zegers joins a previously announced cast that includes Doctor Who‘s David Tennant (who also headlined Broadchurch), Breaking Bad‘s Anna Gunn and Oscar nominee Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook).

Zegers’ character is described as “a handsome, clever and extremely laid back young reporter on the local town newspaper. Gracepoint born and bred, he didn’t want to go away to college – he couldn’t afford it and he felt he could do what he needed to do here.” When a high-profile local murder case brings a big city journalist to town, however, “his dormant ambitions are awakened – getting both himself and his aunt Ellie (Gunn) in big trouble.”

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on NCIS, Once, Vampire Diaries, Blacklist, Community, POI, H50 and More

Gracepoint is scheduled to begin filming in January on Vancouver Island in Victoria, for broadcast during the 2014-2015 season.

Comments (10)

• Give me some scoop on Graceland, not Gracepoint! =o)

Comment by Diz – December 16, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Kevin, excited to see him in this…

Comment by Ross – December 16, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really good cast so far! Tenant is always great. Jacki Weaver is incredibly talented and of course, the mesmerising Anna Gunn. Kevin Zegers was really good in Transamerica.

Comment by Kyle C. – December 16, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they make some changes to the storyline!

Comment by Apples – December 16, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They really need to… I’m sure that if any fans of Broadchurch watch the first episode and think that Gracepoint is looking like a frame by frame retelling then there will be no reason to watch, even if they somehow change the ending. They can’t just change the way it ended and call it a new show. With so many characters with same names or similar names and similar descriptions as the original, this is sort of feeling like it’ll be a bad knockoff. I hope not because I love David Tennant and it’s about time he gets some recognition in the US (aside from the love he gets from the Whoniverse), but the more I read about the FOX remake the less I like it!

Comment by Tess – December 16, 2013 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Gracepoint and commented:
    Kevin Zegers added to the cast of Gracepoint!

Comment by Andrew – December 16, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But…But…But I thought City of Ashes was suppose to start filming in January? Does this mean it’s not happening? Or that he’s not going to be Alec anymore?

Comment by V – December 16, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Considering the first movie bombed I doubt they’ll make the rest

Comment by Maris – December 16, 2013 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They postponed production til spring. Hopefully to get a better screenwriter. I loved him as Alec too- he was exactly how I imagined my favorite character :)

Comment by Hanna – December 17, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post