Exclusive

The Killing: Season 4 Promises Military-School Mystery, Plus Linden's… Mother?

The KillingGet ready for How We Met Linden’s Mother — laugh track not included.

Yes indeed, The Killing – which was canceled by AMC, but got a second lease on life last when Netflix ordered a six-episode final season – is looking to cast the role of its lead detective’s mother, a woman described as being in her mid-50s or 60s, with a “startling” physical resemblance to her daughter (played by Mirielle Enos).

Fans of the gritty Seattle-set crime drama know that Sarah Linden was abandoned by her mom as a girl — and subsequently grew up in the foster-care system. According to a casting notice, we’ll learn that the woman has since been living in a completely different world, and that Sarah will find her mother happy, well-mannered and well put-together, having “built a stable life” with a new, middle-class family.

The role is only expected to span “two great scenes,” but will find the estranged mom proving “unexpectedly insightful” about her girl — despite all the years that have passed without seeing one another.

Additional casting notices for Season 4 — including a quartet of series regulars and one guest star — shed some light on the mystery that Linden and her most excellent partner Holder (Joel Kinnaman) will investigate. The series regulars include:

* Linden’s Season 4 nemesis — Margaret O’Neal, a (possibly androgynous) woman from a long line of military types who’s in her mid-40s or 50s and is “the head of an all-boys military academy based outside of Seattle.” Dishonorably discharged from the military “due to her involvement in a questionable incident during one of her tours in the Gulf,” Margaret prides herself on a rigid exterior of strength and discipline, but has “a deeply buried maternal instinct, one she has projected instead onto the troubled academy boys she is charged with molding into men.” O’Neal inherited her job from her father, and her grandfather before him, and it’s all she’s got to hold onto. In other words, don’t look for her to be too cooperative in helping Linden and Holder determine her school’s role in this season’s murder investigation.

* Cameron Stanton, the 16- or 17-year-old “black sheep of his wealthy, well-connected family.” This gentle soul will forge a bond with Linden — perhaps because she sympathizes with his struggle to survive in the “viciously competitive, dog-eat-dog world of Seattle’s best and brightest” and then later in the violent and cruel environment of an academy populated by “troubled boys desperate to please their alpha dads.”

* A.J. Fielding, Cameron’s “charismatic, over-achieving, attractive” classmate, a kid who’s viewed as a leader and a success story, but with a manipulative penchant for taking weaklings under his wing. “There’s a price to his friendship and protection,” according to the outline for Season 4.

* A third academy student, Lincoln, enlisted at the academy “after allegedly attempting to sexually assault a female teacher at his former high school.” He’s described as “a troubled boy” who wears his anger, instability and deeply felt misogyny on his sleeve. “He not only chafes under the rule of academy administrator [Margaret O’Neal] but is openly hostile to any of the weaker and smaller male cadets, anything or anyone perceived as even remotely feminine is to be derided and destroyed.” Did someone say “prime suspect”?

* Finally, producers are looking to cast a pretty female in her mid-20s for a three-episode arc. Kat is described as a smart “girl from the street, dealt a tough hand,” but “surprisingly succeeding at bettering her life” — despite a suspicious view of wealthy do-gooders. She’ll bond with Cameron as a result of their status as “outsiders and lonely souls.”

Excited about these casting notices for The Killing‘s miracle season? Stressed about a Linden family reunion? Sound off in the comments?

1. Rae says:

Wait— is this real life? Is this the first time anyone is hearing about it? I swear I read this 3 times and I still don’t believe that it’s really happening. Yay Netflix!

2. So they’re just going to go investigate another crime? Didn’t Linden commit a pretty blatant murder at the end of last season? I assumed the whole season would be dealing with that, not just hey, here’s another mystery.

• johnhelvete says:

Holder lies to protect Linden and without any other witnesses to what actually happened, Linden gets away with it. Holder and Linden will probably have issues with each other about the coverup, I doubt that it gets completely dropped in season 4 but it won’t be the focus of the 6 episode season.

• I forget what happened in last years season finale. PLease refresh my memory.

3. enri says:

So glad this show is getting one more season. Thank you Netflix!!

4. Annie says:

Melissa Leo for Mom? She’d need to age up – I think she’s in her early 50’s.

5. Roni says:

I miss Bullet.

6. Dan says:

the role of Lincoln should be played by Sam Underwood (Zach Hamilton from Dexter) he keeps showing up everywhere (Dexter, Homeland, The Following) as is so why not ‘The Killing’ as well? lol

I know It’ll never happen but if they could cast Lyndsy Fonseca (who’s in her mid-20s) as Kat this would be the best Season of TK ever!

7. Joey says:

Glad they announced the names and info about new characters. Can’t wait for season 4 next year.

8. monieet says:

Glad to hear we will get an ending. Cast Lolita Davidovich as Linden’s mother. She can play crazy messed up like a charm (when she left Linden), and then clean up to play the “I got it together now” mother. I look forward to watching.

9. JenniefromPDot says:

But this doesn’t sound like an ending. Yes Netflix has stated that these six episodes will be the last but shouldn’t season 4 be centered around Sarah killing Skinner and the ramifications of that act? I love that we’re getting more episodes but do right by the series. It just seems strange to introduce new characters and a new case and have everything wrap up in 6 episodes… Am I alone in thinking that this may not actually be the end and that Netflix just may be trying to decide if this is a series worth investing in?

10. Jared says:

I’ve never seen an episode of The Killing but I think this is the perfect series for Netflix to get behind. Cult following..multiple seasons already..cheap production..talented actors. I hope the fans get more than a 6 episode final season.

11. “Bullet” now appears on the CW’s show, Arrow. She has the same hair cut and attitude :)

• Kathy says:

The Killing is superbly written,directed and followed through with the talents of Kinnaman and Enos. Congrats to Netflix for realizing talent and good fortune in front of them.

12. mantua says:

Get Tilda Swinton for the nemesis part, that description basically screams her name already ! Marcia Cross for mom ! I know, only a 14 year age gap, but the character abandoned her child so she could have been easily a teen mom…and nobody plays damaged behind a perfect facade better than her…well, almost nobody. Julianne Moore would be just as great, perfect even, she definitely has the Linden look (height, complexion, hair) down. I only dare to pitch two in demand feature actresses because it is just six episodes and a final season so it can’t possibly be that big of a time commitment especially the mom part.

13. Tammy says:

Hello………… Sissy Spacek! Can they afford her?

• Dan says:

I would say no, but now that the final Season is on Netflix, it could be possible. I mean, if they can afford Kevin Spacey AND Robin Wright for ‘House of Cards’ I’m sure they could afford her for like an episode or two right?

• Sue Baranti says:

14. Yolanda says:

Cast Sigourney Weaver in the mom’s role and let her win that long overdue Emmy.

15. cj says:

Are you kidding me they are doing another season with teen victims and suspects?!

16. Kat says:

Can wait!!! Watched the WHOLE thing on netflix….had never even heard of it b4…we were looking for something that had a few seasons…we HATE regular tv, and this was right up our alley!!! Cant wait for an actual ending of the storieS…wooohooo!!!

17. moviefreak92 says:

Frankly Netflix should give The killing an entire season because the last season finale really left off many stories to be dealt into. The Holder and Linden r/p should develop more this season and I don’t think 6 Episodes are going to help and that too with such a new casting line up for the show.

18. HolderFan says:

I’m so excited for season 4– go Netflix! I just saw season 3 in a couple of days; I was really into seasons 1-2 but when season 3 aired I was too busy. I’m glad I caught up and I can’t wait for Netflix to do its magic and attract more fans and possibly extend the series to more than just 6 epis. :) I also miss Bullet, what a great character!
    Side note–>Did anyone else notice how awesome it was that Holder’s girlfriend is played by an actress from Firefly/Serenity and Holder’s tattoo reads ‘Serenity?’ I know browncoats out there (Firefly fans) like me must’ve enjoyed that! They definitely did that on purpose (the scene where they discuss the tat)

19. Yaaayyyy!! I’d like to think we all had a part in getting this show picked up by Netflix, given all of our protests!! I’ll take any story, any way it comes, I’m just so excited that we’ll be getting more!! Yeah, Netflix! You ROCK!!!

20. Mary King says:

Yea!!! This is a great series…. good for Netflix!

21. Janie says:

I want to see Linden and Holder end up together (romantically speaking), anyone else feel that way?

22. Christopher says:

Awesome show. Looks like I will need to subscribe to NetFlix.

23. Kb says:

When is the airing suppose to be for season 4 ?

24. Mandy says:

Announced February 12, 2014 Mireille Enos (Linden) is pregnant! “It is unclear how or if Enos’s pregnancy will affect production…”

25. Sue Baranti says:

Sissy would be great, I was trying to figure who Linden resembled (besides myself), but with acting ability…Hubby & I watched all 3 seasons in last couple of months great show..just watched last episode today and hoping more to come…love the series…thankfully we like the same type of shows, so both of us will be watching web site to see if there is a season 4

26. Judy Fallon says:

Love Love Love this show it just kills me that there will only be one more season to watch wish Netflix would keep it going

27. Margaret says:

Love this show!

28. Allison says:

My husband and I started watching this on Netflix and we were so bummed when we found out it ended in 3. Whatttt????? But then I heard Netflix was bringing it back. We love, love this show. Thanks so much. Oh and 6 episodes will never suffice, just keep it rolling, because you want need to worry, we WILL watch. Thanksss

29. roberta says:

can’t wait for season 4. wish there were more episodes than 6. How about adding a season 5 and 6?