Matthew Perry to Bring The Odd Couple to CBS

Matthew Perry The Odd Couple RemakeMatthew Perry is going from a Friend to one half of an Odd Couple.

The actor will star in and executive-produce a TV update of Neil Simon’s classic play for CBS, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Cougar Town Stages Friends Reunion, Casts Matthew Perry in Season 5

The multi-camera comedy project, which has a script commitment, follows two mismatched roommates: the messy Oscar Madison (Perry) and neat freak Felix Unger.

Danny Jacobson (Mad About You) will co-pen the pilot with Perry, who previously headlined NBC’s Go On and ABC’s Mr. Sunshine.

The Odd Couple began as a Broadway show in 1965 with actors Art Carney (as Felix) and Walter Matthau (as Oscar), who reprised his role for the 1968 movie opposite Jack Lemmon. A TV series adaptation, starring Jack Klugman and Tony Randall, later ran for five seasons on ABC.

“Ever since seeing the movie The Odd Couple when I was 10 years old, it has been a dream for me to play Oscar Madison,” Perry tells Deadline. “To be given the opportunity to develop a modern version of it for CBS has put a permanent smile across my face. I met up with a wonderful writing partner in Danny Jacobson. We both have such a passion for the source material that we have instantly become obsessed with making this great. Plus, I think it’s time for me to be in front of a live audience again. I miss that. The search for Felix Unger is on!”

Hit the comments with your casting suggestions for neat freak Felix!

1. Roy says:

I hope this is the Matthew Perry show that finally makes it past a season. I’m still a little bummed about Go On.

2. Interesting. The nostalgia factor and the network are sure to ensure this Perry show finally stays on the air for more than one season.

3. Elly says:

Nooo, bring back ‘Go On’ it was getting really funny!

4. c-mo says:

This show needs to be successful because I need a lot of MP on my TV!!!

5. John 1138 says:

Maybe.

But these repeats are hardly the magic door to a good show.

6. Dan says:

Tony Shaloub.

There’s your Felix.

7. Scooter Smith (@scoboot) says:

The obvious choice would be Bradley Whitford (Studio 60 fans will know what I am talking about). But if his show gets picked up and there needs to be an alternate choice, who says it HAS to be a man. I think they could make Felix become Felicia, a lesbian (to avoid the will they or won’t they tension) with OCD. She could be played by Kristen Wiig or Tina Fey or Sara Silverman.

8. soulfooder says:

anthony anderson there’s your felix

9. Playhouse says:

Seems more of a Felix type to me.

10. LK says:

Very much looking forward to this!

11. Nicole says:

I so hope this works out for him. Matthew perry is hilarious and I miss him on my tv every week!

12. Houman Sadri says:

Matt LeBlanc, maybe?

13. Chloe says:

Not a fan of his. And I’m not a fan of “remakes”. I wish Hollywood would come up with original ideas instead.

• scooby says:

Shakespeare didn’t come up with original ideas. Why should Hollywood have to do so? There are building blocks to all of these things that have been done a million times and will be done another million. It’s about the execution. Done well, you get things like Romeo & Juliet and West Side Story. Done poorly, you get a lot of the recent remakes. Things don’t have to go badly though.

14. Kim R says:

David Hyde Pierce would be a great Felix but it would pretty much be Niles all over again. :)

15. Sokratis says:

So how exactly was his role on friends not a modern day odd couple? Seen it before him flipping roles will only make it more tedious.

16. Ron says:

First Studio 60, then Mr. Sunshine, then Go On. I hope this is the Matthew Perry show that actually makes it because I need more Matthew on my TV!!! Though I am looking forward to his upcoming cameo on Cougar Town (Monica and Chandler together again!). And he and Kudrow were talking about him guesting on her show Web Therapy (another show I enjoy). But I want to see him more stably on my TV.

17. Gab says:

MP was my fave actor from Friends but I refuse to waste my time watching a reboot. Hollywood please come up with something original. Thanks!

18. REX says:

This is why I disagree with this so called Golden Age of TV. Almost everything is either a remake or based on some other kind of source material

• Stormy says:

ITA. They’ve ruined Mike & Molly by trying to turn Melissa M. into the new “Lucy”.

• RolaRola says:

There’s a slight different between the “Golden Age of TV” and the “Age of Quality TV.” We’re not necessarily in the Golden Age, we’re in the Quality Age, roughly starting, as per scholars, around 1999 with the start of The Sopranos. It gets dicey, because while we are in the Quality Age of TV, it is more attributable to cable shows (e.g., The Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Homeland, The Walking Dead, etc. etc.). Network shows rarely fall in the idea of this category. I tend to attribute the Golden Age of TV to roughly the 50s-80s with shows ranging from I Love Lucy to MASH, from All in the Family to The Cosby Show. People view the 90s as more of a transition period. The Golden/Quality distinction can be a small one, but one can view it as Golden Age = traditional programing, traditional/wholesome images and Quality Age = raw, gritty, emotional, and extreme boundary-pushing programming.

19. Joey says:

I know it’s cliche and wishful thinking… Schwimmer

20. Scott says:

No thanks. Its already been done, and was very well done at that. Any attempt at a re-make is simply an insult to the original.

21. Shana says:

Matt LeBlanc should be the other. And instead of Oscar and Felix they can be Chandler and Joey.

22. christopher bee says:

Simon Goldberg could be the one, but there´s no chance in Hell.

23. christopher bee says:

Another suggestion: James Wolk or Hamish Linklater; if the fantastic “the crazy ones” will be canceled.

• Zach says:

Highest rated new comedy? Doubt it’s going anywhere. Linklater would work though, he’s a really versatile actor. Wolk? He’s OK, but I think the main reason people think he’s so great is because of his looks.

24. Geo says:

It’s unfortunate that Studio 60 didn’t make it, but Matthew Perry needs to get into a good ensemble drama. He’s much more interesting these days when he pops up on shows like “The Good Wife” than he is constantly trying to go back to the sitcom. “The Odd Couple” just sounds like another step backwards. (and fifty years after it premiered, the basic Odd Couple premise has been done in pretty much every configuration imaginable on sitcom after sitcom after sitcom– including as several have pointed out, Friends– so it’s hard to see how they make that in any way fresh or interesting).

25. Jon says:

Robert Gant, period.

26. Nancy says:

Taye Diggs would be a great Felix.

27. april-ann says:

I see Matthew Perry as more of a Felix than an Oscar. Oscar should be more rugged. Since Felix should be more of a pretty-boy type, who could possibly play Felix to his Oscar? Paul Rudd maybe, but then you’d just have two pretty-boy types playing Felix and Oscar. No matter who’d play Felix, it will be two pretty-boy types. I can’t see Felix being played by someone rugged. Matthew Perry should be Felix, and either Jack Black or Jon Favreau would be hilarious as Oscar.

• Stormy says:

I’ve never known that anyone considered Tony Randall a “pretty boy”. That being said, if MP is Felix and they need a “name” for Oscar who is a street smart slob, I’d suggest Michael Deluise. He was so wonderful as TJ on Gilmore Girls and has great comedic timing.

• april-ann says:

Maybe “pretty-boy type” was not the most accurate term. But for lack of a better term right now, I believe Tony Randall was that much more so than Jack Klugman. I found TJ on GG a little annoying but not because of Michael Deluise (Liz and TJ seemed to me to be little more than time-fillers) who was very good with what he was given. Good suggestion, Stormy!

28. richard says:

Zachary Levi, Michael Urie, Freddie Prinze, Jr.. Jason Bateman, Tim Meadows, Jay Harrington, Neil Patrick Harris, Justin Kirk, Paul Addlestein.

29. Matt says:

Kal Penn would be a fantastic unger, or to go outside the box on this one, Hugh Laurie or zach braff

30. Tim says:

Tom Lennon? He played a pretty Felixish character when he guest starred on Friends. Or maybe Dan Bucatinsky?

31. Sam says:

Oh screw it, it needs to be Matt LeBlanc, first off him as the neat one is funny and cmon Chandler and Joey now that would get ratings.

32. Caro says:

Studio Sixty is one of the best shows to ever air on television and Perry was amazing in it! He and Bradley Whitford had such incredible chemistry you forgot they were acting! The show was cancelled because most Americans didn’t have the IQ to appreciate it – most Americans now want physical, raunchy or ethnic comedy which is sadly indicative of just how much America has dumbed down. I hope this shows well and it probably will as long as Perry doesn’t make it too smart.

• S. says:

They show dumbed down crap in every country. Thanks for buying into the stereotype that America’s the only one that does that. (IQ and education aren’t the same thing btw. A poor eductation system doesn’t mean we’re actually dumber.) I’ve watched some spectacularly bad tv all over Europe and parts of Asia. Go ahead and pat yourself on the back a little more for your sense of exceptionalism, but I hate to break it to you, stupid is worldwide. Having said all that, it’s a shame they couldn’t repair Perry and Whitford. I wonder if Matthew would even do it if Trophy Wife weren’t on because he said it’d be a little weird to try to do something else together but he liked working with Brad.

33. DAVID says:

Ugh. Another remake of a successful series from the past. I give this remake a season and it will be done. How about something totally new … Friends 2.

34. toycannon says:

I think Matthew Perry would be better at playing Felix Unger.

35. Lore says:

Please let it be, the third time is the charm, i really want my Friend back

36. Paul J. Reedy says:

Cancel Two and a Half Men and use Jon Cryer. He would be a good fit.

37. oj says:

john cho! john cho! john cho! his partner should be john cho! they were so good together in go on!

38. liz says:

I’ll watch Perry in literally anything.

39. Jason says:

Neil Patrick Harris will be Felix! I’m predicting it now!!

40. Joe Buz says:

Matthew Perry – Oscar…..Jim Parsons – Felix….Adrian Brody – Murray…..Miley Cyrus – Mirriam….Jennifer Aniston – Blanche…..Elisha Cuthbert – Gloria…Snooki & Jwoww – Pigeon Sister….Kiefer Sutherland – Speed….Patton Oswalt – Vinny.

41. jax says:

Neil Patrick Harris!

42. Nate Mayhew says:

Since we can all agree that we assumed Matthew Perry was playing Felix before we clicked and saw that he’s taking the Oscar role, why not do the same and cast Mike O’Malley as Oscar… I mean Felix. See? It’s already working!

43. Jake says:

Oh god please NO! The only person who truly had any dynamic from the Friends cast is Lisa Kudrow, all the rest are yesterdays news. please just go away to where once famous acting has beens go. Hollywood, get some fresh ideas stop remaking every god damn thing!

44. John says:

Eric McCormack from Will & Grace

45. Stormy says:

If MP is playing Oscar [ridic] then I’d go with Eddie Izzard as Felix.

46. tony says:

How about they just bring back Go On. It was probably the best new comedy last season.

47. Tyler says:

Make a big leap of faith. Cast David Schwimmer as Felix and let the publicity feed off of the Friends reunion. Besides, I think Schwimmer could make a decent Unger.

48. AngelQueen says:

1. Alan Cumming
    2. Ricky Gervais
    3. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers
    4. Greg Linear
    5. Robert Downey Jr.

A little more creativity, people :-P

49. AngelQueen says:

6. Jason Bateman
    7. Damian Lewis
    8. Jake Gyllenhaal

50. Karen says:

Jason Lee! ! Matt Le Blanc ! I love Jason, so just want him back on TV.