Matthew Perry to Bring The Odd Couple to CBS

Get More: News, Pilots

Matthew Perry The Odd Couple RemakeMatthew Perry is going from a Friend to one half of an Odd Couple.

The actor will star in and executive-produce a TV update of Neil Simon’s classic play for CBS, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Cougar Town Stages Friends Reunion, Casts Matthew Perry in Season 5

The multi-camera comedy project, which has a script commitment, follows two mismatched roommates: the messy Oscar Madison (Perry) and neat freak Felix Unger.

Danny Jacobson (Mad About You) will co-pen the pilot with Perry, who previously headlined NBC’s Go On and ABC’s Mr. Sunshine.

The Odd Couple began as a Broadway show in 1965 with actors Art Carney (as Felix) and Walter Matthau (as Oscar), who reprised his role for the 1968 movie opposite Jack Lemmon. A TV series adaptation, starring Jack Klugman and Tony Randall, later ran for five seasons on ABC.

“Ever since seeing the movie The Odd Couple when I was 10 years old, it has been a dream for me to play Oscar Madison,” Perry tells Deadline. “To be given the opportunity to develop a modern version of it for CBS has put a permanent smile across my face. I met up with a wonderful writing partner in Danny Jacobson. We both have such a passion for the source material that we have instantly become obsessed with making this great. Plus, I think it’s time for me to be in front of a live audience again. I miss that. The search for Felix Unger is on!”

Hit the comments with your casting suggestions for neat freak Felix!

Comments (94)

• I hope this is the Matthew Perry show that finally makes it past a season. I’m still a little bummed about Go On.

Comment by Roy – December 13, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! I liked that show!

Comment by Jenny – December 13, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me three! I also liked Mr. Sunshine.

Comment by D'oh – December 13, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Me four! Loved both so much!

Comment by Taylor – December 13, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Me five. Both shows deserved longer runs.

Comment by Waffles – December 14, 2013 08:45 AM PDT
  • Interesting. The nostalgia factor and the network are sure to ensure this Perry show finally stays on the air for more than one season.

Comment by Michael Sacal – December 13, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Of course, on Friends, he was Felix and LeBlanc was Oscar.

Comment by Michael Sacal – December 13, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh! Nostalgia is just a thing people say when a once-big star pops out of the blue. It’s awkward how Jen Aninston is the only one who suceeded while the rest of the cast fell short to nothing.

Comment by Mattie – December 13, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I assume they meant nostalgia for The Odd Couple rather than Perry.

Comment by Ashley – December 13, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How can you say that? Courtney Cox is hilarious on Cougar Town. Matt LeBlanc just got nominated for an Emmy for his show Episodes. Lisa Kudrow has her own show. David Schwimmer makes a really funny giraffe in Madagascar :)

Comment by Shana – December 13, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Matt was just nominated for a Golden Globe, not an Emmy. He also won a Golden Globe last year.

Comment by TV Gord – December 14, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • David Schwimmer survives the apocalypse in Revolution, everyone else dies. That’s the only win that counts!

Comment by Michael Sacal – December 13, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If by succeeding you mean every movie she’s in bombs and is out for only one weekend before disappearing forever, then yes, she is a big success

Comment by S. – December 13, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • We’re the millers was one of the biggest comedies of the year, so she’s a little succesfull.

Comment by Choco – December 13, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • they are all working, moron.

Comment by love all – December 14, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Did you even see Lisa’s run on Scandal this season? She was emmy worthy! and her speech from that on women in politics is viral

Comment by Peevesie – December 15, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooo, bring back ‘Go On’ it was getting really funny!

Comment by Elly – December 13, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I still have that song he, John Cho and Bradley Whitford were singing stuck in my head. Hey, John Cho should play Felix Ungar!

Comment by Zach – December 13, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OMG YES! I love this idea!

Comment by SLS – December 14, 2013 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show needs to be successful because I need a lot of MP on my TV!!!

Comment by c-mo – December 13, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe.

But these repeats are hardly the magic door to a good show.

Comment by John 1138 – December 13, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tony Shaloub.

There’s your Felix.

Comment by Dan – December 13, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This!

Comment by mandy – December 13, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Acting wise he would be, but Shalhoub is 60 now. He would be a little long in the tooth to be playing opposite the 44 year old Perry.

Comment by J.Norman – December 14, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The obvious choice would be Bradley Whitford (Studio 60 fans will know what I am talking about). But if his show gets picked up and there needs to be an alternate choice, who says it HAS to be a man. I think they could make Felix become Felicia, a lesbian (to avoid the will they or won’t they tension) with OCD. She could be played by Kristen Wiig or Tina Fey or Sara Silverman.

Comment by Scooter Smith (@scoboot) – December 13, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wiig is busy with movies, Fey’s busy writing and Silverman has a pilot at HBO. But I like the idea. If Parenthood gets cancelled, I could see Lauren Graham in the role. They had great chemistry on Go On.

Comment by Zach – December 13, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Certainly modernizes it, and also adds some new comedic twists. I like it. I agree Lauren Graham would be great too.

Plus I want Whitford’s show to get picked up, Trophy Wife is just so much fun.

Comment by DreamRose311 – December 13, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oooo Neve Campbell would be a great choice!

Comment by DreamRose311 – December 13, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • C’mon, to make Felix into a lesbian would essentially make this a reverse Will and Grace.

Comment by J.Norman – December 14, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • neil patrick Harris is the perfect neat freak Please please make this happen

Comment by him – December 17, 2013 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like the idea of Bradley Whitford!

Comment by Kent – December 19, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • anthony anderson there’s your felix

Comment by soulfooder – December 13, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Has a show in development at ABC. Weirdly enough, it also got a script with penalty commitment.

Comment by Zach – December 13, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seems more of a Felix type to me.

Comment by Playhouse – December 13, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Zach – December 13, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry, hit the wrong reply button.

Comment by Zach – December 13, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IMO He isn’t OCD enough for Felix nor sloppy enough for Oscar. I do wish him luck, though.

Comment by Stormy – December 13, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very much looking forward to this!

Comment by LK – December 13, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I so hope this works out for him. Matthew perry is hilarious and I miss him on my tv every week!

Comment by Nicole – December 13, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt LeBlanc, maybe?

Comment by Houman Sadri – December 13, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s busy with Episodes. Golden Globe, much?

Comment by Zach – December 13, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a fan of his. And I’m not a fan of “remakes”. I wish Hollywood would come up with original ideas instead.

Comment by Chloe – December 13, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shakespeare didn’t come up with original ideas. Why should Hollywood have to do so? There are building blocks to all of these things that have been done a million times and will be done another million. It’s about the execution. Done well, you get things like Romeo & Juliet and West Side Story. Done poorly, you get a lot of the recent remakes. Things don’t have to go badly though.

Comment by scooby – December 14, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Hyde Pierce would be a great Felix but it would pretty much be Niles all over again. :)

Comment by Kim R – December 13, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So how exactly was his role on friends not a modern day odd couple? Seen it before him flipping roles will only make it more tedious.

Comment by Sokratis – December 13, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First Studio 60, then Mr. Sunshine, then Go On. I hope this is the Matthew Perry show that actually makes it because I need more Matthew on my TV!!! Though I am looking forward to his upcoming cameo on Cougar Town (Monica and Chandler together again!). And he and Kudrow were talking about him guesting on her show Web Therapy (another show I enjoy). But I want to see him more stably on my TV.

Comment by Ron – December 13, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MP was my fave actor from Friends but I refuse to waste my time watching a reboot. Hollywood please come up with something original. Thanks!

Comment by Gab – December 13, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is why I disagree with this so called Golden Age of TV. Almost everything is either a remake or based on some other kind of source material

Comment by REX – December 13, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ITA. They’ve ruined Mike & Molly by trying to turn Melissa M. into the new “Lucy”.

Comment by Stormy – December 13, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s a slight different between the “Golden Age of TV” and the “Age of Quality TV.” We’re not necessarily in the Golden Age, we’re in the Quality Age, roughly starting, as per scholars, around 1999 with the start of The Sopranos. It gets dicey, because while we are in the Quality Age of TV, it is more attributable to cable shows (e.g., The Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Homeland, The Walking Dead, etc. etc.). Network shows rarely fall in the idea of this category. I tend to attribute the Golden Age of TV to roughly the 50s-80s with shows ranging from I Love Lucy to MASH, from All in the Family to The Cosby Show. People view the 90s as more of a transition period. The Golden/Quality distinction can be a small one, but one can view it as Golden Age = traditional programing, traditional/wholesome images and Quality Age = raw, gritty, emotional, and extreme boundary-pushing programming.

Comment by RolaRola – December 13, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know it’s cliche and wishful thinking… Schwimmer

Comment by Joey – December 13, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No thanks. Its already been done, and was very well done at that. Any attempt at a re-make is simply an insult to the original.

Comment by Scott – December 13, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt LeBlanc should be the other. And instead of Oscar and Felix they can be Chandler and Joey.

Comment by Shana – December 13, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simon Goldberg could be the one, but there´s no chance in Hell.

Comment by christopher bee – December 13, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another suggestion: James Wolk or Hamish Linklater; if the fantastic “the crazy ones” will be canceled.

Comment by christopher bee – December 13, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Highest rated new comedy? Doubt it’s going anywhere. Linklater would work though, he’s a really versatile actor. Wolk? He’s OK, but I think the main reason people think he’s so great is because of his looks.

Comment by Zach – December 13, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s unfortunate that Studio 60 didn’t make it, but Matthew Perry needs to get into a good ensemble drama. He’s much more interesting these days when he pops up on shows like “The Good Wife” than he is constantly trying to go back to the sitcom. “The Odd Couple” just sounds like another step backwards. (and fifty years after it premiered, the basic Odd Couple premise has been done in pretty much every configuration imaginable on sitcom after sitcom after sitcom– including as several have pointed out, Friends– so it’s hard to see how they make that in any way fresh or interesting).

Comment by Geo – December 13, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robert Gant, period.

Comment by Jon – December 13, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taye Diggs would be a great Felix.

Comment by Nancy – December 13, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes he’s a great straight man!

Comment by Mika02 – December 15, 2013 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I see Matthew Perry as more of a Felix than an Oscar. Oscar should be more rugged. Since Felix should be more of a pretty-boy type, who could possibly play Felix to his Oscar? Paul Rudd maybe, but then you’d just have two pretty-boy types playing Felix and Oscar. No matter who’d play Felix, it will be two pretty-boy types. I can’t see Felix being played by someone rugged. Matthew Perry should be Felix, and either Jack Black or Jon Favreau would be hilarious as Oscar.

Comment by april-ann – December 13, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve never known that anyone considered Tony Randall a “pretty boy”. That being said, if MP is Felix and they need a “name” for Oscar who is a street smart slob, I’d suggest Michael Deluise. He was so wonderful as TJ on Gilmore Girls and has great comedic timing.

Comment by Stormy – December 14, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe “pretty-boy type” was not the most accurate term. But for lack of a better term right now, I believe Tony Randall was that much more so than Jack Klugman. I found TJ on GG a little annoying but not because of Michael Deluise (Liz and TJ seemed to me to be little more than time-fillers) who was very good with what he was given. Good suggestion, Stormy!

Comment by april-ann – December 14, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree completely. MD was much better than what he was given to do. He is very relatable and has star quality.

Comment by Stormy – December 14, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zachary Levi, Michael Urie, Freddie Prinze, Jr.. Jason Bateman, Tim Meadows, Jay Harrington, Neil Patrick Harris, Justin Kirk, Paul Addlestein.

Comment by richard – December 13, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great choices

Comment by Mika02 – December 15, 2013 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jay Harrington = Felix Unger done!

Comment by Chanandler Bong – December 16, 2013 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kal Penn would be a fantastic unger, or to go outside the box on this one, Hugh Laurie or zach braff

Comment by Matt – December 13, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Lennon? He played a pretty Felixish character when he guest starred on Friends. Or maybe Dan Bucatinsky?

Comment by Tim – December 13, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh screw it, it needs to be Matt LeBlanc, first off him as the neat one is funny and cmon Chandler and Joey now that would get ratings.

Comment by Sam – December 13, 2013 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Studio Sixty is one of the best shows to ever air on television and Perry was amazing in it! He and Bradley Whitford had such incredible chemistry you forgot they were acting! The show was cancelled because most Americans didn’t have the IQ to appreciate it – most Americans now want physical, raunchy or ethnic comedy which is sadly indicative of just how much America has dumbed down. I hope this shows well and it probably will as long as Perry doesn’t make it too smart.

Comment by Caro – December 13, 2013 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They show dumbed down crap in every country. Thanks for buying into the stereotype that America’s the only one that does that. (IQ and education aren’t the same thing btw. A poor eductation system doesn’t mean we’re actually dumber.) I’ve watched some spectacularly bad tv all over Europe and parts of Asia. Go ahead and pat yourself on the back a little more for your sense of exceptionalism, but I hate to break it to you, stupid is worldwide. Having said all that, it’s a shame they couldn’t repair Perry and Whitford. I wonder if Matthew would even do it if Trophy Wife weren’t on because he said it’d be a little weird to try to do something else together but he liked working with Brad.

Comment by S. – December 14, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. Another remake of a successful series from the past. I give this remake a season and it will be done. How about something totally new … Friends 2.

Comment by DAVID – December 13, 2013 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Matthew Perry would be better at playing Felix Unger.

Comment by toycannon – December 13, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let it be, the third time is the charm, i really want my Friend back

Comment by Lore – December 13, 2013 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cancel Two and a Half Men and use Jon Cryer. He would be a good fit.

Comment by Paul J. Reedy – December 13, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • john cho! john cho! john cho! his partner should be john cho! they were so good together in go on!

Comment by oj – December 13, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch Perry in literally anything.

Comment by liz – December 13, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil Patrick Harris will be Felix! I’m predicting it now!!

Comment by Jason – December 13, 2013 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matthew Perry – Oscar…..Jim Parsons – Felix….Adrian Brody – Murray…..Miley Cyrus – Mirriam….Jennifer Aniston – Blanche…..Elisha Cuthbert – Gloria…Snooki & Jwoww – Pigeon Sister….Kiefer Sutherland – Speed….Patton Oswalt – Vinny.

Comment by Joe Buz – December 14, 2013 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil Patrick Harris!

Comment by jax – December 14, 2013 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since we can all agree that we assumed Matthew Perry was playing Felix before we clicked and saw that he’s taking the Oscar role, why not do the same and cast Mike O’Malley as Oscar… I mean Felix. See? It’s already working!

Comment by Nate Mayhew – December 14, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh god please NO! The only person who truly had any dynamic from the Friends cast is Lisa Kudrow, all the rest are yesterdays news. please just go away to where once famous acting has beens go. Hollywood, get some fresh ideas stop remaking every god damn thing!

Comment by Jake – December 14, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To each etc. If I see LK’s name on any upcoming show, I put in the must miss file. Can’t stand anything about her.

Comment by Stormy – December 14, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eric McCormack from Will & Grace

Comment by John – December 14, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If MP is playing Oscar [ridic] then I’d go with Eddie Izzard as Felix.

Comment by Stormy – December 14, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about they just bring back Go On. It was probably the best new comedy last season.

Comment by tony – December 14, 2013 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Make a big leap of faith. Cast David Schwimmer as Felix and let the publicity feed off of the Friends reunion. Besides, I think Schwimmer could make a decent Unger.

Comment by Tyler – December 15, 2013 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1. Alan Cumming
    2. Ricky Gervais
    3. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers
    4. Greg Linear
    5. Robert Downey Jr.

A little more creativity, people :-P

Comment by AngelQueen – December 15, 2013 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 6. Jason Bateman
    7. Damian Lewis
    8. Jake Gyllenhaal

Comment by AngelQueen – December 15, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason Lee! ! Matt Le Blanc ! I love Jason, so just want him back on TV.

Comment by Karen – December 15, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post