Connie Britton: I'm OK With No FNL Movie

Connie Britton Friday Night Lights MovieMrs. Coach has weighed in one last time.

Though she waxed enthusiastic about the possibility of a Friday Night Lights movie earlier this year, Nashville star Connie Britton apparently has made her peace with the recent news that a big-screen adaptation isn’t happening.

RELATED | Pilot News: Showtime Excommunicates Kyle Chandler Drama The Vatican

“You know what, I actually feel like it’s good,” the actress, who starred opposite Kyle Chandler in the football-themed drama, tells Vanity Fair. “I think that the decision needed to be made, and there’s been so much going back and forth about it now for so long.”

She continues: “And I feel like the only way that was ever going to work is if it just fell into place beautifully, and if everybody was on board, because we couldn’t do anything to risk what Friday Night Lights has already been.”

Calling the series — and its production process — “very unique” and “groundbreaking,” Britton said, “We really weren’t too worried about doing things the way that everybody else did them — we sort of wanted to do it our own way, and that will always be really special to me.”

FNL fans, now that Tami Taylor has had her say, do you feel better about the movie’s death? Or were you against the project from the beginning? Sound off in the comments!

1. Erk says:

I trust they’re making the right decision here. Obviously I would’ve loved a movie, but if they feel they can’t make it as good or in spirit of FNL – then that’s fair enough for me and I trust them to make that call.

But damn, I really miss FNL, me. Best drama I’ve seen.

2. Rebecca says:

It ended so great that I am completely okay without a movie.

3. Allen says:

I think there is something to be said about FNL capturing lightning in a bottle at that exact time…anything to try to recreate that with a different set of people would just ring false (community season 4 anyone?)…I’m glad we got the series as it was and as it should be

4. tabularasalocke says:

I agree with Connie and Kyle. I mean, I just don’t know what they would do for a movie. Everything felt wrapped up. The finale was kind of perfect.

5. Apples says:

Yeah the movie never felt right to me. Good move.

6. webly3 says:

Yeah, FNL movie was highly unnecessary.

7. Emgee says:

With the way the series ended (and it ended perfectly) there is no way to bring it back as a movie, return to Dillon and not feel contrived. So, yes, I am okay with it. We had five great seasons of the show and it will live forever on DVD. I’d rather let it rest in piece than taint its legacy with something that can’t be done exactly right.

8. coconutz says:

Sad, would have been great to have those characters back together. I miss coach. Can’t wait to see what that actor turns up in next.

9. Lecholls says:

I loved FNL so much, but I think they’ve made the right decision.

10. Britta Unfiltered says:

After the way they did the series finale, I just don’t see how a movie would have worked to have all those same characters. Would the Taylors have moved back to Texas for Coach to take a job there? That would have ruined the finale, because Coach made that awesome sacrifice for Tami to take that job in (Pennsylvania?). To return to Texas would have negated his sacrifice and made the finale worthless.

11. JohnD says:

Connie Britton, the internet’s TV momma, tells us we’re all gonna be ok. And we will.

I don’t think the internet has ever coped with not getting something we wanted quite this well. Clearly Mrs. Coach raised her kids right.

12. What’s up, just wanted to say, I liked this blog post.
    It was practical. Keep on posting!