Orphan Black's Tatiana Maslany Talks 'Shocking' Golden Globe Nomination, Previews Season 2

Parks and Recreation Tatiana MaslanyOrphan Black chameleon Tatiana Maslany can add another amazing descriptive to her impressive breakout year: Golden Globe Award nominee.

After wowing audiences with her multiple performances in BBC America’s clone thriller, the actress has been honored alongside veteran talent like The Good Wife‘s Julianna Margulies and House of Cards‘ Robin Wright.

Below, Maslany reveals why she’s “baffled” by the nomination and previews the surprises, new faces and doppelgangers in store in Orphan Black‘s upcoming second season.

VIDEO | Orphan Black Season 2 Trailer

TVLINE | Congrats on the well-deserved nomination!
Thank you so much!

TVLINE | How did you find out the news this morning?
My phone just started blooping a lot. I saw it on Twitter before I found out any other way. Then a few of my friends were texting me.

TVLINE | What was your reaction?
Total shock, to be honest with you. I didn’t remember that the Globes were being announced today, didn’t even think that it was a possibility. Yeah, it was really shocking. But awesome, exciting.

TVLINE | Coming from a show that started under the radar, what does the nomination mean for you?
It’s incredible. It’s a huge, huge, huge honor for me. The women in my category, I’m in total awe of them. I just feel really honored. Baffled and honored.

RELATED | Orphan Black Season 2: Who All Is Coming Back?

TVLINE | How are you going to celebrate today? Do you have any special plans, or are you hard at work?
Yeah, I’m going to go to set and I’m going to eat a muffin or something. [Laughs] I have a coffee here right now, so that’ll be my celebration.

TVLINE | How is production going on Season 2?
It’s good. It’s really good. Episode 7 starts shooting tomorrow, so we’re almost done. We’re on hiatus soon. It’s been really crazy, but the storylines this year are awesome. We have incredible guest stars coming on and incredible recurring actors. It’s a really exciting season.

Emmy Nominees Tatiana MaslanyTVLINE | What’s the biggest difference for the show in Season 2 in terms of the storylines?
More intense. The worlds are more fleshed out. You get to see a lot of characters that exist within the different clones’ universes. Those worlds are elaborated on. We get to know them better based on the people they’re around and based on the kind of things that are going on in their life. It’s deeper and more involved.

TVLINE | Sarah was left in a really difficult position at the end of last season – she lost Kira, Mrs. S might be a traitor. How is she dealing in the aftermath?
She’s on the run again, obviously, trying to find Kira and will stop at nothing to do that. We saw that at the beginning of Season 1, as well, but Sarah’s definitely in a different place and has lived through a lot more. The things that she was kind of sure about last year are totally up for grabs now. There’s no certainty. We don’t know who’s on her side. We don’t know whose side she’s on. She’s quite alone in this fight and in this search. She’s changed a lot. She’s shifted as a person.

TVLINE | Are we going to find out where Paul went? He just disappeared out of that elevator.
[Laughs] Oh, Paul. I will say he’s back, for sure. He’s got some surprises up his sleeve.

TVLINE | And how are Cosima and Alison faring?
We left them in pretty intense situations, as well — Alison neck-deep in denial, so she’s happy. And Cosima’s facing her mortality. We left on such a high, intense note last year. The writers did an amazing job this year of keeping that intensity going and finding the peaks and valleys in it.

TVLINE | We got a little taste of Rachel at the end of last season. Are there more new clones to come?
It’s a clone show, isn’t it? [Creators] John Fawcett and Graeme Manson are always excited to throw new people in the mix. I won’t say too much about that, but I will say it’s clone show. Anything could happen.

TVLINE | What’s surprised you the most about Rachel as you’ve been getting to play her more?
Just the different layers to her. I got to play with her a little last year, but this year, we’ve really fleshed her out and really given her a lot to contend with, a lot to deal with, and get to know her, personally, a bit more. That’s really exciting. She’s a really mysterious and fascinating character. I’m excited to play somebody like that. I don’t often get to play women like that.

TVLINE | You mentioned new faces coming in. You have Patrick J. Adams, you have Michiel Huisman (Nashville).
They’re awesome guys. Such amazing actors. I can’t say too much about how they fit into the story. We’re just so excited to have people like that on our show who want to come to play with us and up all of our games and elevate the show.

1. Ally Oop says:

Thanks for the interview! So happy to see Tatiana doing so well! Glad to see a fellow Saskatchewan girl doing awesome.

2. Ari says:

Was so thrilled to see her name up as a nominee! I hope she wins, she certainly deserves it. When I’m watching Orphan Black I often forget that the same actress is portraying all of the characters, she’s just that good at making them unique people.

3. Maki says:

She is just awesome. The intese colision of the clones and having them constantly in the scenes together made Tatiana’s effort even better. I hope she wins it and I can’t wait for SEASON 2 to happen.

4. Josh says:

Love her so much! She’s amazing. It says a lot about how I’m worried that Cosima might die because I really love the actress and the character and don’t want her to go. Than I realize “oh wait…”…She’s just THAT good.

5. Leigh says:

So happy for her! She gave everything to the first season of Orphan Black – you could tell! – and it’s only fitting she be richly rewarded.

6. Kat says:

I’m soooo happy for her. She’s a great actress and I would love for her to win.
    Does anyone know which scene/episode was submitted?

7. Rachel Nichols= substance. Tatiana Maslany = style. Style should never win out over substance when it comes to acting. Nichols eats Maslany’s lunch every week on Continuum.

• Aprilcot says:

I admittedly haven’t seen Continuum, but based off Nichols’ previous performances I could not disagree more. She was awful on Criminal Minds.

• Annie says:

I HAVE seen Continuum – it’s fun and I enjoy it. But comparing Nichols’ rather mainstream role to Maslany’s weekly master class in acting is just silly. Maslany hands down deserved this nod. Nichols did not.

• Leigh says:

What color is the sky in your world, Paul?

• Brooke says:

What? Look, I love both Continuum and Orphan Black (what a great past year or so it’s been for sci-fi fans having all these shows on TV!!) but Rachel Nichols is not anything extraordinary. I don’t mean that in a negative way – she’s perfectly pleasant and does a good job and I have no complaints about her performance on Continuum. But she simply does not astound and amaze like Tatiana Maslany does.

• Mark says:

I’ve watched every episode of Continuum. I like Rachel Nichols, but her performance doesn’t come close to matching Tatiana’s performances every single episode. What do you mean by style? Is that another way of saying excellence, breadth, and diversity? Your argument makes no sense. If you prefer one show over the other, that’s one thing, but don’t even try to compare the two actresses.

• Josh says:

Um, I love Continuum and I love Rachel Nichols in it, and think she does a wonderful job but she is in no way better than Tatiana Maslany.

Also the reason Tatiana works is because she’s substance. Style’s got nothing to do with it. Style means flair and drama, and not being subtle. It’s the fact that she is so subtle with each character that makes her special.

Again love COntinuum and Rachel but you couldn’t be more wrong…

• MikeyM says:

I’ve seen Continuum and wasn’t impressed. Writing is much better on Orphan Black.

8. Jax says:

We get it Paul. You are a crazy, psycho, stalker fan who made it his personal mission in life to let the world know how obsessed you are with Rachel Nichols. Why you feel the need to go out of your way to follow Maslany and trash her is beyond me. Why don’t you sit this one out and go finish building your creepy shrine to Nichols.

9. Britt says:

I think Tatiana is amazing! I don’t know how she keeps all her characters straight.

10. amy says:

I hope we get more Alison/Felix interaction in Season 2. Loved the 2 of them together!

11. kath says:

Great news. No one deserves it more.

12. M says:

So much awesome in this nom!

13. Brooke says:

Tatiana really shouldn’t be so surprised. It’s unbelievably remarkable how she’s made each clone an individual, unique person. From the mannerisms to posture to voice patterns to even the look in their eyes. She’s just wonderful and I’m so glad she and Orphan Black are succeeding.

14. The season 2 spoilers worried me. Going in depth on the various clones lives is the same type of thing that derailed Heroes. Too many story lines convoluted the main plot

• Josh says:

Heroes introduced too many characters, too many plots, bad acting, bad writing….Going in-depth on the three main clones, plus two more wouldn’t be bad. Don’t forget, we did lose a clone in the finale.

15. DavidSask says:

Very happy for Tatiana, hope she can pull out a win!

16. Tv Providers says:

Fantastic. Great design. Just how did an individual make certain it
    had sufficient room and did not collapse?

17. Yolanda says:

Sadly, she won’t win. These are Golden Globes we’re talking about. They do not care about who has given the best performance. They only are who has the most buzz. Expect win for either Kerry Washington or Taylor Schilling. Sad but true.