Pilot News: Showtime Excommunicates Kyle Chandler's The Vatican

Get More: News, Pilots

Kyle Chandler The Vatican DeadWhat many Friday Night Lights fans saw as a gift from God – Kyle Chandler‘s return to series television — is no longer happening.

Showtime has chosen to not move forward with its Chandler-starring pilot The Vatican, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

RELATED | Showtime’s Episodes Renewed for Season 4

The project, directed by Ridley Scott and penned by Paul Attanasio (House), was a contemporary genre thriller about spirituality, power and politics – set against the modern-day political machinations within the Catholic church.

Chandler’s character, Cardinal Thomas Duffy, was the charismatic, progressive Archbishop of New York. Anna Friel (Pushing Daisies), Matthew Goode (A Single Man) and Sebastian Koch (A Good Day to Die Hard) were also cast in the project.

RELATED | Showtime Cancels Californication

THR reports that various reasons, including a high production price and friction between Attanasio and the network, contributed to the pilot’s demise.

Comments (28)

• That’s too bad. The cast was stellar and it had a great premise.

Comment by Sam – December 12, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw, that sucks. I would watching anything with Kyle Chandler and Matthew Goode.

Comment by neha – December 12, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pity, I would watch

Comment by Dragonfly – December 12, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I understand costing too much. However when will Showtime realize it shouldn’t tell show runners what to do?

Comment by David4 – December 12, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Almost every network feels that they’re entitled to creative control of their shows. I can’t tell you how many showrunners have said that the networks tell them what their characters would and wouldn’t do.

Comment by dude – December 12, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ummm soo… Reign looks expensive and airs on The CW (with terrible ratings by regular broadcast standards). Costs weren’t the issue.

Comment by Mattie – December 12, 2013 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Reign looks nothing compared to other period dramas on cable. Cost could come into play if the network felt that it wasn’t going to be a hit.

Comment by tabularasa – December 12, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Time for the Friday Night Lights movie then! (The news earlier this week hasn’t dettered me ;)

Comment by Leah – December 12, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • horrible news

Comment by amandareynolds – December 12, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And people like The Pope. It’s a lot easier to make a show about the Catholic Church when The Pope isn’t The Man of Year.

Comment by Kevin W. – December 12, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pressure from the Church? They’re actively trying to change their image with the new administration after years of scandal (not only the pedo stuff, but lots of money, corruption, power struggles and other shady things), this could have been a problem.

Comment by Cynthia – December 12, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounded awful, and a waste of many of Chandler’s obvious baser appeals. And frankly, the less religion on my TV, the better for everyone.

Comment by tarc – December 12, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, not sad about these news.

Comment by c – December 12, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You don’t understand the scenario here. The scene in Rome is extremely rich in storyline material, less religion American-style and more power-plays, global politics, luxury, contradictions, multy layered characters, mysteries and conspirancies. With a good team of writers and castmembers we had something with a great potential. Too bad, I was really excited, especially with Bruno Ganz as the Pope; my condolences to Chandler and Goode.

Comment by Cynthia – December 12, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn, I was really looking forward to this.

Comment by militantgod – December 12, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think he can find a better show.

Comment by Adriana – December 12, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shame, I would love to see Kyle Chandler back on my screen.

Comment by Viv – December 12, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not surprised. I heard it was a disaster. I’m a big Kyle Chandler since Early Edition. He deserves better.

Comment by JWB – December 12, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darn, it sounded interesting and unlike anything else on TV right now which goes the trend of copying a premise that does well on another network and replicating it to death.

Comment by Ray – December 12, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DAMN IIIIIT I was so excited.

Comment by Avi Sotonzadeh – December 12, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember Early Edition. Loved that show and he was so good in it. Hope he gets another pilot.

Comment by JoyAnne – December 12, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, much as I desperately want Coach Taylor back on my television, I sure as hell wouldn’t want him on a dud. So let’s just hope that something better comes along for him before too long.

Comment by Superhero – December 12, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t Showtime make The Borgias? I think that show cost a lot more to make than this considering they had Jeremy Irons and it was a period drama. Both shows are about the papacy so. They should have made it happen anyway.

Comment by Shaun – December 12, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Showtime should have kept The Borgias. Now, that was a nice little yarn.

Comment by Tom – December 12, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Kyle will have any problems making movies!

Comment by DavidSask – December 12, 2013 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sounded kind of boring, tbh. I doubt they would have shown the Pope having affairs with beautiful Renaissance ladies or Cardinal Duffy in hot leather pants.

Comment by Jane – December 12, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My feelings exactly!

Comment by Lora – December 13, 2013 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Showtime, you’ve done us wrong.

Comment by Brendan – December 12, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post