Golden Globe Nods 2014: The 30 Biggest Snubs!

By virtue of their insistence on lumping together supporting performances from comedies, dramas, miniseries and movies, the Golden Globes nominations are always an inherently snubby affair.

So, while the 2014 lineup has its fair share of happy surprises — Tatiana Maslany! Monica Potter! — there are still enough glaring insults to leave us scalding with rage. (“Umm, hello? Hollywood Foreign Press? Were you taking bathroom breaks every time Anna Gunn was on screen in Breaking Bad?”)

RELATED | Golden Globes: House of Cards, The Good Wife, Candelabra and Breaking Bad Lead Noms; See the Full List of TV Categories!

In that spirit, we’ve identified the 30 most boneheaded snubs of the 2014 nominations — from a Game of Thrones heartbreaker to Masters of Sex‘s breakout lady to Brooklyn Nine-Nine‘s stoic anchor.

Click through the gallery below to help soothe your soul over these sins of omission, then hit the comments to tell us which snubs we snubbed as well. (Apologies in advance!)

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Awards, Golden Globes, Lists

1. Vlada says:

Eden Sher!!!

2. Beth says:

Homeland is terrible this year. Nice to see the high-profile award shows acknowledging that.

• Emily says:

Agreed, this season just doesn’t live up to the first two and at least the awards shows aren’t just nominating it out of habit.

• Annie says:

Agreed. Lewis did a fabulous job with Rehab Brody – but that was one episode. He hasn’t been on nearly enough to qualify as a lead this season. Patinkin and Danes both did credible work with what they were given, but neither rose to a level of, say Tatiana Maslany (which – YAY), nor did the show itself merit any kind of award, at least so far. (Can’t imagine the finale’s going to be much better – maybe they’ll prove me wrong, and I’ll be the first to be delighted if so.) This wasn’t a snub. It was a measured, rational, appropriate decision.

• wrstlgirl says:

This season of Homeland isn’t even worth the extra $$ I pay every month to have Showtime. Fortunately Masters of Sex has made up for that.

• knd says:

Can someone explain to me why Justified, SOA, Shameless and Southland (rip) are continually ignored?

• gregk says:

Much better shows than Homeland this year. The Americans was terrific and its lead actors should have got a nod. No Anna Gunn nom is a travesty.

3. Martina says:

For me Homeland wasn’t snubbed at all. I love this show and it makes m

4. Anna says:

No Bellamy Young for Scandal. Really???

5. Martina says:

…makes me angry that this season is so bad. If internet backlash wasn’t enough to realize that they’re doing it wrong, hopefully this’ll teach ‘em.

6. I agree with much of these. But I already have my top picks to root for in every category (except maybe comedy actor), so the only thing that I can really complain about is the supporting category that divides gender but not genres, so we have Sofia Vergara competing with all dramatic actresses (I think). As if.

7. I *cannot* understand the obsession with Bates Motel. That show is mediocre at best and it baffles me that nobody sees it. Same thing with The Walking Dead.

I do agree, however, that Lizzy Caplan should’ve been recognized. She’s absolutely amazing in MoS. And a nomination or two for The Americans would’ve been nice, as well.

8. Babybop says:

Sigh. I will never understand why Walking Dead gets no love! I’m sad Mindy Project got no recognition too. Maybe next year.

9. MNBonnie says:

While I love Adam Scott, I think Nick Offerman was even more of a snub.

10. dude says:

Jeff Perry is the only one that really feels like a snub. I love Keri Russell on The Americans but that category was just really competitive this year. Maybe she deserved it over Robin Wright but that’s the only substitution I’d make. Tatiana, Kerry, Taylor and Julianne are all very deserving.

11. Chaz says:

Once Upon A Time! Grrrr!

12. Beth says:

Emmy Rossum for shameless. Her courtroom speech last season was so powerful.

13. Emily says:

No Game of Thrones bugs me, but i’m just glad Tatiana and OITNB got recognition.

14. John says:

Jeremy Renner got snubbed. He gave his character such heart in American Hustle.

15. DreamRose311 says:

Agree with most of your snubs, but two I feel are missing: Julianne Nicholson as Dr DePaul For supporting from Masters, and Alison Janney for supporting from Mom, she is just so hillarious!

• DreamRose311 says:

Considering how many more shows are on now adays than there used to be, seems like it’d be really nice to add a slot to ever category and DEFINITELY separate the supporting categorys into Comedy and Drama. Too much talent (which of course is a very good problem)

• scooby says:

I agree they need to separate the supporting categories. There are more supporting actors competing than lead. Think about it, most of every cast is supporting. The competition’s stiffer there even if they have drama and comedy categories to divide into. Lumping the movie/miniseries in there too is just unfair.

• Janice says:

I LOVE the show Mom. And Alison is the best part. Hard to believe she was the serious bad ass in West Wing.

• yearonear says:

Alison Janney is also amazing on Masters of Sex. She deserves an all-around “supporting actress” nomination!

16. greysfan says:

I’m stunned Claire Danes is not on the list. Yes Homeland is BAD this season but she is still a huge standout. Other than that its a pretty good bunch of nominees. Grey’s has been snubbed again with Sara and Chandra imo deserving nods for the stunning work they’ve done but i knew it wouldn’t happen. A lot of things don’t get recognised these days with the awards how they are from so many shows. As for Bates Motel i don’t get it. IMO its not that great a show. I couldn’t get into it so its not a surprise omission for me. Emmy Rossum is another which deserved a nod. She’s great on Shameless. Oh well maybe next time.

17. Stormy says:

Huh. I don’t watch a single show that you regard as having been snubbed, so I guess I can’t share your chagrin.

18. Abby says:

I agree that Jeff Perry deserves to be nominated, best actor on scandal! And can someone tell me why Walking Dead is continuously ignored!

19. Shazha says:

I feel like a broken record every year but seriously can SOA get some love?? It’s such an amazing show and cast and writing staff.

20. Emily says:

FYI: Your list would have a lot more credibility if you noted that that there is no split for comedy and drama in the supporting races. And because miniseries/movies are included too where there would be 15-18 nominations at Emmy, it goes down to 5 for the golden globes – so of course there is going to be a lot of snubs

21. Sammie says:

Was 30 Rock ineligible? And if so, then why was it eligible for the SAGs?

22. collins says:

no claire danes is a small price to pay for tatiana maslany.

23. angelwings says:

Charlie Hunnam from Sons of Anarchy was definitely snubbed.

24. Jeremy says:

I almost forgot how awesome Jennifer Morgan was in Dexter for 8 seasons. Hope that she’ll get a new role soon.

25. courtland says:

not sure if your snub list snubbed her or if its outside of eligibility, but i was hoping for a nod for abigail spencer and rectify

26. Tom Charles says:

I’m sorry, but nobody from the Office clone Modern Family was snubbed. Others are just as worthy and I’m sorry, but Corey Stroll and Aaron Paul deserve nominations before any of the Pritchett-Dunphy clan. Including Ty Burrell

27. Aimee says:

Honestly when is Lana Parrilla going to be recognised for her talent? Phenomenal actress!

• Jennifer says:

It is truly amazing how she portrays not only the distinctive personas of Regina but every shade in between. Sadly, neither she nor Robert Carlyle will ever get the recognition they deserve.

• Deena says:

Robert Carlyle was the first person that came to mind. He is so good he is mesmerizing. But because Once isn’t a big serious show he won’t get the recognition he deserves.

28. xomareen says:

I think it really is a shame that they put all the Supporting categories into a single big one. Way too many brilliant actors overlooked be c sadcause there were only five spots open, when the Main Actor categories have fifteen, Boo,

29. Walter says:

Cannot believe GoT didn’t make the cut. The wedding of Tyrion and Sansa is probably one of the most nomination-worthy pieces of television in the past decade. The writing, the directing, the acting – all absolutely brilliant.

30. Sidney.B says:

Seriously such a left out for Matthew and Keri .FX’s The Americans was the best new show last year ,imo.

• Katie says:

Totally agree. I can only assume the judges are still upset about Felicity’s hair, there’s no other reason to leave it out

31. RIR says:

Absolutely agree about SOA! The show, Katey Segal and Maggie Siff should have been nominated they are fantastic on that show! I don’t get why this show is continually snubbed by all the awards!

32. Mia says:

Peter Sarsgaard!

33. Ava says:

Happy that James Spader was nominated but The Blacklist deserved a nom for best Drama.

• gregk says:

Agree that Spader should be nominated but overall the show is not drama award worthy. Nowhere near the superior quality of Breaking Bad for example.

34. Amy says:

Made my heart sing when you mentioned Southland – that last season was off the charts good. Then I was reminded of my heartbreak that it’s gone. Sniff.

35. erin says:

Mindy, Shameless, Episodes, and Lizzy Caplan were the biggest snubs for me.

36. Lorena says:

Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME! NO CLAIRE DANES? NO HOMELAND? Claire in the second episode of this season is superb for only that episode she deserves any single award in the universe

37. prish says:

Our household does not watch any of these shows, either. Vegas should have been on this list. We miss it.

38. Kelly says:

THE MINDY PROJECT!!!

39. TL says:

The fact there are sooooo many snubs means there is a TON of great TV right now. Everyone should be really proud.

40. Timmah says:

Vera is good on Bates, but how about Freddie Highmore? He is completely owning that role.

41. cjeffery7 says:

i genuinely shocked they’d give Masters of Sex drama series and lead actor noms without also including the lead actress… without Virginia Johnson none of those studies would have happened and without Lizzy Caplan it wouldn’t be as addictive as it is to watch. *i give up!*

42. cjeffery7 says:

just when you think Jennifer Carpenter can’t hit it any further out of the park/universe, you are smacked in the face with the reality that she’s been getting snubbed for years and it wasn’t just going to stop now. how dare you entertain the hope that such an incredible performance be recognized by the same people that continually snub the likes of anna gunn and katey sagal.

43. Bianca says:

Crazy Eyes!
    Nice to see Uzo Aduba’s nomination :)

44. Megan says:

Sons of Anarchy was a huge snub. Katey Sagal and Maggie Siff were especially good this year. I think Katey won a GG for playing Gemma in season 1 but they both should have been recognized for this season!!

45. Brigette says:

I’m so glad Jennifer Carpenter made your list. This last season of Dexter was mostly awful, but she never was. The first three episodes provided some of the best work Jennifer has ever done on the show. It’s infuriating that she is always overlooked and that the horrible writing for the last half of the season has eliminated the chances of Dexter–and everyone on it– being nominated for anything for season 8.

46. Mai says:

Taraji P. Henson and Kevin Chapman! After those last POI episodes, this was much deserved, but of course they were snubbed, POI never gets the love =(

47. Kyle says:

The Mindy Project is a huge snub, but if Parks and Recreation got that spot, then I’m okay with it. I think The Mindy Project should be there instead of Modern Family, which hasn’t made me laugh in quite a while.

I also think every guy on Parks and Recreation was snubbed. I think Adam Scott is so fantastic, but Chris Pratt, Nick Offerman and Aziz Ansari deserved a spot in the Supporting Actor category.

48. The Killing, Mireille Enos, Joel Kinnaman, Peter Sarsgaard…

Sad!

49. Janice says:

I’m tired of Castle never getting any awards recognition. It’s a great show with a great cast. I think because it’s listed as a “Comedy Drama” they don’t know where to put it. But it needs some props. Especially Nathan and Stana!

• HAP says:

Same thing happens on the movie side of the noms. Can anyone tell me how either Before Midnight or Nebraska got nominated under comedy or musical? Even Inside Lewyn Davis, while about a musician, is far from Comedy and not really a musical.

• Mary says:

Totally agree! But I know it will never get recognition:(

• Liam says:

Sorry, but there could be 10 slots and Castle wouldn’t be considered. It’s just not that good.

50. Joey says:

Whoever made these decisions, The Rains of Castamere is being played for you.

• trainwreck says:

Throw them a Red Wedding Already! Not nominating the actress playing Momma Stark is utter disrespect to the amazing portrayal that made me yell at the TV Screen literally (and that has only happened like twice in my television viewing history!)