AHS: Coven Recap: The Eyes Have It

American Horror Story Coven HeadIn this week’s American Horror Story: Coven, Cordelia loses her visions but regains her vision (in grisly fashion, of course), Marie turns a blind eye to a big threat (with disastrous results), Delphine — what’s left of her — refuses to see the error of her ways (at least at first), and we behold a spectacle we never thought we would. What is it? Take a gander at the recap below, and all will become clear…

RELATED | American Horror Story Season 4 Will Be a [Spoiler] Story

GETTING A HEAD | Early on in “Head,” Fiona — chatterbox full of Delphine in tow — shows up at Marie’s not in hopes of reinstating their truce but in hopes of forming an alliance. As she tends to, the voodoo queen blows her off, saying, “Witch hunters is white women’s worry” (with a cockiness that pretty much guarantees she’ll soon be eating her words). Meanwhile, at Delphi Trust, the corporation (lowercase C) that acts as a front for the Corporation (uppercase C) of witch hunters, Hank is called out by his CEO father for… well, pretty much every effort he’s ever made. “You don’t take initiative,” Dad reminds the screw-up, “you follow orders.” Mind you, the order that is of the greatest concern to Hank quickly becomes the one that Marie (painfully) issues: Finish off the witches of Miss Robichaux’s that evening… or else!

STRIFE LESSONS | Though Marie tells her new ward to burn her old foe’s head, Queenie instead keeps Delphine in her room, where, in spite of her lack of a stomach, her appetite remains undiminished. “What are you gonna do,” Queenie asks when the noggin wants a snack, “chew it and s— it out of your neck?” She isn’t keeping her frenemy around as a pet, mind you. She’ll give her the “sweet release” of death — AFTER she’s come to understand the hell she and her kind put their slaves through. Step 1: Play the “stubborn old lady head” a DVD of Roots…

PHOTOS American Horror Story Season 4 (and Beyond): 7 Possible, Mostly Plausible Premises

WHERE’D YA GET THOSE PEEPERS? | After needlessly reassuring Cordelia that she isn’t responsible for blinding her (the Corporation is, we learn), Myrtle slaps Quentin and Cecily with “human statue syndrome.” Sure, she’s mad that they burned her at the stake, but “I’m not going to kill you,” she insists. Well… “Maybe after dessert. I put a lot of effort into the key lime pie.” And indeed, kill them, she does — after using a melon baller to remove one of each of their eyes to restore Cordelia’s sight… a feat which inadvertently takes away her gift (curse?) of second sight.

HELL’S ANGEL | When the teenage witches visit a comatose Luke at the hospital, Joan accuses them of mocking her grief. “Not your grief,” Madison clarifies. “Maybe your outfit.” The holy roller briefly bonds with Nan when the clairvoyant is able to prove she is reading Luke’s still-very-much-alive mind. (They even — gasp! — hug.) But the détente is short-lived: When Nan says Luke says Joan killed his father (with bees, no less!), Joan throws the girls out and begins to smother her son with a pillow! (Good Lord, wasn’t the bleach enema enough?!)

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

THE DOGS OF WAR | After FrankenKyle sends Fiona’s guard dog to heaven, she raises his IQ by enough points that he can play gin rummy and installs him as Miss Robichaux’s new security system — and not a moment too soon, it would appear. Elsewhere, Hank is opening fire at Marie’s salon, wounding Queenie and her mentor before the human voodoo doll is able to put a bullet in her own brain, thereby bringing down their attacker! Off that assault, who should come knocking at Fiona’s door — do my eyes deceive me?! — Marie! Guess that alliance against the witch hunters is starting to look a little more like a good idea, eh, chere?

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the episode? As much fun as beheaded Kathy Bates is, my favorite parts were Fiona’s interactions with Myrtle (threatening to exile the “charcoal briquette” to Paramus, New Jersey) and Hank (who was surprised that she got a dog, because, “You hate animals… and all other living things”). I also liked the mind-screw of Queenie blowing out her brains. Even though we know she’s a human voodoo doll, it still took me a second to realize she wasn’t committing suicide. Nice that Patti LuPone got to sing, too (even if her weepy “Just a Closer Walk with Thee” was no “Rose’s Turn”). Your thoughts? RIP, Hank, Marie’s crew, cute doggie…

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. Adam says:

This episode made me so angry. The show has been struggling to address race in any intelligent fashion all season, yet clearly trying to address the issue considering how big of a theme it has been, and having almost all of the black characters be violently killed in slow motion (the only characters whose deaths on this show seem like they will stick) while a white racist learns a lesson is just so endlessly problematic to me.

• Seanti says:

Agreed.

• Andrew says:

Adam, I completely understand where you’re coming from, but: I could turn around and say that two white people were poisoned, had their eyes gouged out with a melon baller and their bodies hacked up and dropped in a barrel full of acid like they were yesterday’s garbage — as if that’s ok.

But, what would be the point of doing that? This season has been so full of camp that I think it’s a waste of time to try and find anything profound in any of the themes they’ve presented so far. I mean, honestly: Kathy Bates is literally a talking head now. How can anyone take this show seriously now?

• Mel says:

Andrew, I don’t know about you but was anyone ever taking the show “seriously”??? It’s a show about witches, x-men-like powers, and exaggerated voodoo. at what point was the show ever “serious”?

• Andrew says:

Mel, that was a response to Adam’s post about not liking the way they’ve handled the theme of racism this season. He seemed to be taking it seriously. I was merely trying to suggest that he not spend so much time focusing on it because I’m sure the writers/producers aren’t.

• S. says:

I think it’s taken seriously because the topic itself is very serious to this day. You can have camp with it but in certain situations. And this situation, where we have had violent flashbacks of black people being horrifically mistreated and in pain, camp doesn’t work. It says Murphy is messing around with a topic he doesn’t understand well. That’s why it’s taken even more seriously.

• Mel says:

Adam puh-lease. Lol. The only deaths to stick??? Did we forget this episode? Myrtle butchered 2 lesser white witches who are likely gonna stick (the remaining council members). Now the black/white witch crews are teaming up against common enemies. Tell me how that isn’t an intelligent shift in the show since the first episodes????

• S. says:

So much truth to this. Thank you.

2. Sarah zelitt says:

Looking back at last years asylum, this year isn’t a fraction as offensive and that’s not saying much. I suppose Ryan Murphy needs a way to get out some kitschy horror aggression in between glee. I must say I enjoy it.

3. abz says:

LMAO Frances Conroy is just awesome. Myrtle is a nutjob, but her scenes were hilarious. The eye gouging and body decapitations were really gross though.
    It did feel like a filler episode, but finally, Marie and Fiona together, This should be fun!

• Joey says:

I think you and I don’t always agree when we comment on Once-related articles, but boy could we bond over a shared love of Frances Conroy.

• abz says:

Haha yeah OUAT gets all of us heated up with our opposing views, but yeah she was pretty awesome tonight. I’m not familiar with her work outside of Six Feet Under, AHS, and HIMYM, but I think she’s great in all of them and this is her best AHS role so far IMO

• Joey says:

Sometimes I think, “Why couldn’t there be an SFU reunion where they just sit down to dinner and talk to each other all night?” and then I remember how the show ended and realize that isn’t exactly possible. :P

But really, those dinner scenes are always my favorites.

4. toycannon says:

Didn’t the gun that Queenie use to shoot herself have the blessed silver bullets in it? Wouldn’t that mean that Queenie is dead?

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I thought so.

• RicFule says:

Was that Hank’s gun that she picked up? If you watch closely, when Hank first walks through the beaded entry, he shoots a man. It APPEARS that the man had a gun in his right hand. And once Hank actually uses the bullets in his handguns, he re-holsters them. He doesn’t discard them.

• toycannon says:

Even if it wasn’t Hank’s gun, He still shot Queenie in the stomach with a silver bullet. She was already dying when she fired the gun into her mouth.

• Mel says:

This! Queenie is likely a goner, she has no healing powers and Marie left her and the others for dead.

• Pam says:

“Hank is opening fire at Marie’s salon, wounding Queenie and her mentor before the human voodoo doll is able to put a bullet in her own brain, thereby bringing down their attacker!”

It says “wounded” and if the gun wasn’t Hanks then maybe she is still alive. Small maybe.

• Emma says:

No, that was the gun of Marie’s bodyguard. Hank never dropped a gun. BUT she did get hit with a silver bullet in the stomach, that might hinder her voodoo powers.
      Also, I feel kind of bad for Hank, He wasn’t the best character or anything, but I felt like he really wanted Cordelia to see what he was going through. I mean he didn’t know she lost her second sight, so to him, hugging her would let her see a part of his history.

• RicFule says:

Speaking of her voodoo powers, why was she hit AT ALL? Does she need to willingly pass on the injury? Or is it because of the blessed bullets? Or both?

• abz says:

With the way this show has been this season we’ll probably see Misty resurrect her. Do the silver bullets kill them permanently or would Misty’s powers work?

• RicFule says:

I was under the impression that they would kill them dead when they found the bullets last episode and realized they were spelled. However, Misty was able to revive Luke’s mother after SHE was shot with them. But she {Luke’s mother} is also not a witch, so that could explain why she was able to be revived.
        And also. I don’t think Queenie died from the shot. Hank only shot her once. And that looked like it hit her in the stomach. So, she might be in extreme pain, but unless the spelled bullets kill no matter where they hit, most of Marie’s crew should be “fine.”

• kaom says:

That’s what I thought. Unless you don’t need silver bullets to kill voodoo witchs. Marie did touch the bullet with no problem. I really hope they didn’t kill off queenie. She was my favorite.

5. Britta Unfiltered says:

Poor doggie. I thought that was an unnecessary scene.
    I groaned a little at the mention of the Corporation. Does every show have to try and be Alias?
    So what happens to Delphine now?

6. ahs says:

This is the best they’ve been since the premiere. Finally the fact that Fiona and Marie team up is everything that I’ve always wanted. A war between hunters and witches is better than between witches.

• kevin says:

agreed, and if their alliance works out, fiona might redeem herself, and be the best supreme ever.

• Mel says:

Fiona will likely end up sacrificing herself for the good of the Coven, so yes she might end up being the best Supreme by saving it once and for all. At least the North American group…

7. I love this season and I have loved every episode but one and it was two weeks ago, just the lesser of some great episodes.

Last night’s shooting took me completely by surprise and I loved it. Marie LaVeau had gotten away with too much evil and something had to happen to make her see her selfish ways much as it has with Fiona. Yes, Frances Conroy is amazing as is all of the cast.

I can’t wait to see what happens next.

• S. says:

Really? Laveau was evil? Selfish? Are we watching the same show? Laveau, who finally brought the vile Delphine LaLaurie to justice back in the day? Laveau, who got revenge for a woman whose son was hanged by racists? Laveau, who protects her own with more strength than Fiona has ever shown? Who defended her people flawlessly and ferocity, even accepting Queenie as one of her own, trusting her, protecting her.

Laveau is not evil. Wicked at times, unflinching when she has to do something messy but not evil. Consider everything that has happened to her, all she has witness and you see a woman sick and tired of how another race have continued to treat hers. She won’t have it – ever.

• DT says:

And yet, Laveau can also be seen as a racist. Both Delphine and Laveau are racists. Queenie was accepted because she’s black. If she was white, Laveau would have never asked Queenie to join her.

I’m not sure why Ryan Murphy turned Queenie against Delphine. I liked Queenie and Delphine together. Delphine was also slowly turning for the better.

• gabriel says:

This is really funny. Marie Lavaeu is not some black earth goddess. Her power is dark. Its not herbs and spices, it comes from evil! She does good and a ton of evil. HER PEOPLE ARE NOT VICTIMS ANYMORE. THE WHITE WITCHES ARENT RACIST, SHE IS. Yes she brought Kathy bates character to justice…over two hundred years ago, not before murdering her whole family. then malignantly brought them back as zombies. She enjoys torture, she isnt a hero anymore. The shootout was her fault. If you were Hank what would you have done. ie. sat by and quit his mission =marie kills him ie killed white witches = we would hate him more and still would be Maries bitch. or kill the women who is threatening you to kill others.

8. BC says:

This show has never been a let down for even a minute- I say trust and sit back and enjoy every second-
    It’s like a fine high priced Belgian chocolate compared to the brown crayons of what else is on TV lately!

9. Tom says:

Why does everything need to be a racial or political issue? Can’t we watch this fiction and just enjoy it? Politics belong on the major new media sites.

10. Mikael says:

I figured that Queenie shooting herself wouldn’t kill her, but I’m sure the shot to the stomach did it. Especially considering she was (seemingly) left for dead.

11. Frances Tortoriello says:

Oh,lighten up everybody. It’s just a damn t.v. show!