TVLine Items: Gossip Guy Is NBC's Tin Man, Mom Casts Dad, Happy Endings' New Home and More

Patrick Heusinger WitchesErstwhile Gossip Girl Lord Patrick Heusinger has landed the lead role in NBC’s drama pilot, Tin Man.

From Ehren Kruger (The Ring, Transformers), the futurstic crime thriller centers on a fugitive robot (Heusinger) accused of first-degree murder and the female public defender forced to fight for his cause. What’s more, the ‘bot may hold the key to the future of human evolution.

Our sister site Deadline first reported the news.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Heusinger’s recent TV credits include Revolution and Royal Pains.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

Funnyman Kevin Pollak has been tapped to portray Anna Faris’ lonnnnng-missing dad on Mom. Per The Hollywood Reporter, he’ll make his debut in a January episode of the CBS sitcom, with the potential to return for additional episodes.

Happy Endings has found a new home… for its old episodes. VH1 has picked up all 57 installments of the ill-fated ABC comedy and will air them on Wednesdays beginning in 2014, EW.com reports. First, however, the cabler will marathon the entire series on New Year’s Eve, beginning at 8/7c.

Portlandia will launch Season 4 on Thursday, Feb. 27. The IFC comedy’s upcoming cycle includes guest appearance by Vanessa Bayer (Saturday Night Live), Kirsten Dunst (Bring It On), Maya Rudolph (Up All Night), Olivia Wilde (House), Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire) and, as always, Kyle MacLachlan.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Bette Midler will portray icon Mae West in an upcoming HBO film of the same name. Per Deadline, the project, based on West’s autobiography Goodness Had Nothing To Do With It, chronicles the subject’s controversial rise to fame.

NBC has officially given the green light to the previously reported Rosemary’s Baby miniseries, adapted from the best-selling 1967 novel. Scott Abbott (Introducing Dorothy Dandridge) and James Wong (American Horror Story) have been tapped to pen the project.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Lecholls says:

Excited for Portlandia!

2. tina says:

That was such a huge teaser for Happy Endings. I really thought it was coming back :(

3. yvette says:

If only happy endings was really coming back :(

4. sarah says:

I am still waiting on NBC to announce the premiere date for Night Shift!

5. John says:

VH1 should have picked up Happy Endings new episodes! BAH!

6. rachelle says:

I hope new people watch Happy Endings and realize the huge mistake they made for not watching it live! I love New Girl, but no one can tell me it’s funnier than Happy Endings. HE would’ve made it if it were on FOX. It would’ve been a much better companion show to The Mindy Project.

• Patrick says:

I am afraid it will be more like Community and Futurama. When the episodes don’t air back to back, it is easy to glorify a show. The great moments really stand out. But, like Community and Futurama, when I see them in syndication I am reminded of just how many mediocre episodes there were in each series. The great eps and moments of both Futurama and Community, like HE, are transcendent. There are truly great moments. But there aren’t as many of those as we fondly remember. There were a lot of eh episodes, and nothing b stories.

7. Steven says:

If this syndication deal had been made sooner it would’ve given a network more incentive to pick it up to get it to syndication levels. Hopefully it does so well on VH1 that they pick up new episodes. None of the cast is too busy. Besides Adam but Mindy is certain to be cancelled. And Damon is only a special guest on New Girl so he can leave anytime.

• Meg says:

I believe Damon is on New Girl for the rest of the season.

• Matt says:

While I understand what it’s like wishing that a show could find a way to make it back on TV, I don’t really think–for the lack of a better word–slamming other TV shows is necessary. I’m not in the position to judge whether or not that was an “I don’t watch that show (in this case, Mindy)/don’t like it, so I hope it gets cancelled” thing or merely a prediction, but I know for a fact that a lot of people would take Mindy’s cancellation the same way Happy Endings fans did when ABC axed that. So there really is no need to go there, especially since the similarity between the shows’ respective situations–after all, like HE, Mindy isn’t exactly a ratings juggernaut–would make rooting for or predicting TMP’s cancellation based on how successful it is somewhat hypocritical. Not that I’m accusing you of that; I’m just saying it’s a slippery slope.

• Steven says:

Umm… I don’t watch Mindy, but have you seen it’s ratings? It got a 1.4 this week and has been doing badly all season. I’m not wishing for it to get cancelled. I’m just saying it probably will.

8. Clb79 says:

That was just mean with the Happy Endungs tease! Krampus will carry you away for that one!

9. Joey says:

Excited for new season of Portlandia. Great guest stars they got for season 4.

10. schu says:

Glad to see something good for Happy Endings, missing that show this year! Can’t wait to receive Season 3 in my christmas stocking :)

11. M says:

I’m happy about the news, but dang, did I get my hopes up. Gonna mourn for Happy Endings all over again. Thanks tvline…

12. Soopah Soopah Soopah says:

Is Tin Man the NBC Wizard of Oz show that’s coming, or is that just a coincidence?

13. DavidSask says:

Rosemary’s Baby on network TV is a mistake!

14. Marco says:

Tin Man sounds interesting, but Rosemary’s Baby on network TV? I know it’s a story that doesn’t need special effects to work, but the original is a masterpiece. What about something based on ‘The Stepford Wives’, like say ‘The Stepford People’?