Exclusive

How I Met Your Mother Exclusive: Ashley Williams Brings Victoria Back For One Last Encore

How i met your mother ashley williamsHow I Met Your Mother‘s alumni parade marches on.

Ashley Williams, who has recurred throughout the CBS comedy’s run as Ted’s on-again, off-again love Victoria, is making one more visit before the series finale this spring, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother‘s 200th Episode Will Revolve Around [Spoiler]

Details are scarce, but sources confirm that Victoria will resurface in Season 9’s 19th episode, which is expected to shoot this month and air in April-ish.

Ted and Victoria briefly rekindled their romance last season, but she broke up with him when he refused to sever ties with Robin as she demanded.

Williams just wrapped a starring role in the Broadway adaptation of John Grisham’s A Time to Kill.

1. lala says:

I guess she’s coming back so that Robin finds out why they broke up

2. Sarita says:

Yaaawn.

3. Erk says:

Always wanted her to be the mother tbh

• ghp says:

I’m generally ok w/how things have played out (I’ve never been on the Teddy D-bag & Robin bandwagon, fwiw…) and I think the mother has been pretty good thus far, but I’m wondering if/when any acknowledgment will be given as to the mother’s obvious similarities to Lily (particularly by one Judge V. Fudge).

4. Choco says:

Meh. She was great on season 1, maybe even mother material but just like with Robin, they have screwed the character on the last few seasons.

5. Eric7740 says:

I’m so sick of her coming back, good lord!!! You would think she was the flippin’ mother as much of a big deal is made everytime she returns!!! I want Ted with the Mother!!!

6. Babar says:

It might be a flashback and Robin and most likely find out why Ted broke up with her. Pity we don’t have a title for the episode.

• Babar says:

*will most likely find out

• NickC says:

The title is “Vesuvius”. Wikipedia has a complete list of episodes in an article titled “List of How I Met Your Mother episodes”. There is no plot summary yet. They don’t do that until after the episode airs.

7. ? says:

I will like to see Jennifer Morrison come back as zoey

8. Patrick says:

I think this is going to be some weird flashback that features a lot of the biggest names from Ted’s dating past.

• Nate Broadus says:

I could see that happening. I could support it even, if that is, indeed, how it goes down. With Ted’s gauntlet of rusty nails coming to an end, it seems appropriate to revisit some of the most prominent figures in his past — people that can give further perspective to the magnitude of Ted’s meeting with the Mother.

9. Alan says:

oh great, time to bring back the best love interest ted has had again just to tear her down again, wonderful. recently caught her original episode on tv and it reminded me why she was so good back then and how the writers did little more than a character assassination when they brought her back.

10. Ashley says:

Not really excited about this – I thought her last run on the show gave the character the closure needed. Having her character come back just doesn’t feel organic (unless maybe if it’s in a flashback, but still…)

11. Ann Stewart says:

It could be as simple as Marshall did describe her cake as the best cake he ever tasted, and she is simply making the wedding cake. Maybe Robin didn’t know that that Victoria worked at the bakery where she ordered the cake. Lets just be positive and hope that it’s just something to do with cake and some mistaken identities of who was making the cake or who’s wedding the cake was going to, not bringing up more of Teds past girlfriends.

12. Mike R. says:

I’m not sure what purpose this will serve, probably as others have mentioned something to do with Ted and Robin, but I love Victoria, and Williams, so I’m excited to see her one last time.

13. Emily says:

Victoria was amazing in season 1..but the writers basically ruined her character when she re appeared again. Hated what they did. Ughh

14. cas says:

I loved Victoria. By far my favorite of Ted’s GF’s besides Robin. Yes I was a Ted and Robin (always will be) fan. I guess I don’t remember the writers ruining her character. I remember Ted not moving on and getting over Robin.

15. Goodbye Universe Guy says:

I just read the comments – I guess I’m the lone voice here, but I couldn’t be happier that Victoria/Ashley is coming back one last time – I was hoping this might happen. Thank you CB/CT and writers! Victoria is (next Robin) may favorite.

Anne S’s comment upthread may prove correct – Victoria may well be the baker of the R-B wedding cake and runs into Ted at the wedding reception. By that time, R-B are married, so they clear that hurdle, and perhaps at that point Robin does find out about why Victoria broke up with Ted. That info, along with the locket and Ted heading to Chicago, are the three things we know Robin is going to find out eventually.
    “This thing that you and Barney and Robin have – you’re all friends – that doesn’t work.”
    “I hope you get her Ted.”
    If nothing else, Victoria deserves some answers, deserves to know that she was right (as Ted eventually figured out) – the Barney-Robin-Ted thing was going to end very badly for someone. Victoria figured this out long before anyone else – ‘Ducky Tie’. Also, this may give the writers a chance to have Ted and Victoria ‘end things’ for a different reason other than the Robin-Ultimatum from the ‘The Autumn of Breakups’ episode. Victoria will know that Ted didn’t end up with Robin, as Victoria had hoped [and perhaps assumed] would happen. What they [Ted/Victoria] both do with that information might well be the final ‘closing door’ for Ted as he heads out to the Farhampton station, alone, enroute to Chicago.

16. Mikael says:

They needed Ted to let go of Robin YEARS ago! Now it just seems like the Mother is the consolation prize, who Ted settles with since he can’t have Robin.

• Teddy West Side says:

EXACTLY! As late as Friday afternoon of the wedding weekend, he’s still pining for Robin. The Mother doesn’t seem like “the one” so much as the chick who was there when Robin got married and went off the block.

• Goodbye Universe Guy says:

I agree 100% with what you guys are saying, but it’s too late in the game to change this dynamic. Bottom line – Ted is not going to ‘meet’ the Mother prior to that train station at Farhampton, and I’m assuming that moment will be the final moment in the series. And that’s a great end.

However, before that moment, when Ted is sitting there on that bench at the station in the rain, sitting next to ‘Granny’, reading his book (wish I knew what the title of that book is), we know that he will still be at least ‘thinking about Robin’ – that’s the timeline and the way the story is playing out. There’s no one else, except maybe thinking about Victoria. That’s it – Robin and Victoria.

We know he sees (but doesn’t meet?) the Mother at the wedding, but yet, he’s still sitting alone at that station, looking forlorn, awaiting the train for Chicago (via NY). That’s what we know thus far. So he didn’t make a ‘move’ on the Mother at the wedding – I assume it is all awaiting the Farhampton station encounter. That’s still a great ending.

My question – who gets the Mother to go to the station to catch that particular train? Is it just luck, or did someone (s) have a play in that taxi ride to the station to catch that train? That may be why Robin (and Victoria?), and Ted’s feelings for them, are still necessary to the arc of this story. Robin hasn’t yet met the Mother – neither has Victoria, arguably the two most important women (along w/Lily) in Ted’s life.

17. Sez says:

They really need to stop focusing on old girlfriends all the time.
    They’ve stated he has no-one left to date before meeting the mother, she (the mother/actress) has her name featured (as if a regular) in the titles every week but has appeared about 3-4 times (doing very little) and the audience still knows so little about her.
    If they want viewers to care when they eventually show her and Ted meeting they need to stop with these encores of past girlfriends and build up the wife more (not that I’m overly fond of Ted or the mother but surely that’s the end game and the point of the last season?).

18. Johnny Ireland says:

Lads you all have fair points/ideas about the ending but surely victoria will spill the beans to robin about how ted has and always will love her? I dont know who the woman at farhampton is but hope to god its robin!

19. T Dogg says:

We’re all forgetting the fact that it’s titled ‘How I Met Your Mother’ not ‘How I Met The Love of My Life’ for all we know Ted could still be in love with ‘Aunt Robin’ by the time he’s telling his kids this story, but The Mother will always be The Mother even if they get divorced down the line because Ted has a thing for Barney’s wife. IDK if the show is gonna pull a swerve like that but Victoria coming back after she basically tells Ted that Robin and him can’t ever be friends when he’s so in love with her still spells doom for The Mother especially considering it’s been multiple seasons of stories Adult Ted is telling his kids and they’ve all been about Robin up until the last season, and him in love with Robin is just as/more important than when Ted met The Mother at Robin’s wedding which normally you wouldn’t really tell your kids unless you’ve divorced The Mother and remarried The Aunt (or if Barney dies or The Mother died or something it’s just too crazy to think a dad would be cool talking about how he’s so in love with Barney’s wife for years and years lol).

• WingsStef says:

Ted isn’t going to meet the Mother until the last episode, like it should be since the show is called “How I Met Your Mother.” Victoria coming back though makes sense. She, like Robin, is a big reason on how Ted met the Mother. Maybe it is a flash forward? Maybe she finally finds her true love instead of falling for two people that see her only as an “almost”. Part of me wondered if she would be at his wedding, though, exes at a wedding is a bad move, as shown with the Stella hoo-ha, but then again Ted is at Robin’s wedding. Either way, I am curious.