Castle Casts Frances Fisher as a Woman from Beckett's Fashion Model Past

Castle Cast Frances FisherCastle will revisit Detective Kate Beckett’s fleeting turn as a teenage fashion model when Titanic mom Frances Fisher guest-stars on the ABC procedural.

RELATED | Castle Brings Back James Brolin as Rick’s Father — Find Out When

Fisher will appear in the Jan. 27 episode as fashion magazine magnate Matilda King in an episode that “has a little Devil Wears Prada feel to it with an Anna Wintour-type character,” series creator Andrew W. Marlowe tells TV Guide Magazine.

When Beckett and her team cross paths with King in the course of investigating a murder, it is revealed that the two women already know each other, from when Kate did a bit of modeling in high school.

RELATED | Exclusive: CastleCreator Sheds Light on New 3XK Mystery, Beckett’s Reaction to That Song

Fisher’s recent TV credits include Touch, Childrens Hospital and ABC’s upcoming (and quite good) midseason drama Resurrection.

Want more scoop on Castle, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Kristine S. says:

An Anna Wintour-type would not remember a nobody who modeled for 2-seconds in high school. Please. Unless Kate downplayed her modeling and was actually a supermodel back in the day…Double please.

• Bubba922 says:

It’s TV….

• Guesto says:

So… another episode just to highlight how perfect Beckett is.

She’s amazing, we get it.

• Just one thing says:

Not much different than Castle: He’s ruggedly handsome. We get it.
          The show has always erred on the side of vanity when it comes to their two leads, from the women falling at Castle’s feet to Beckett’s ridiculously over-priced wardrobe. Why stop now?

• samantha says:

guesto you don’t happen to have the 6×14 script laying under your bed in the basement, do you? so you absolutely cannot conclude anything yet at this point. but beckett is in any event, perfect. script or no script. sure she has flaws just like all great heroes & that’s the way we, her fans, the viewers want it & she’s great! beautiful, poised & best dressed with a golden heart. beckett’s my idol & a role model. realize the many many reasons why young girls like me all over the universe are most definitely fans of hers & by association also of the show.
          thank you. bye.

• Carolina says:

Beckett is AMAZING. And Stana is no less than stunning. While the writers may play up her beauty through others, Beckett comes off as unfazed by it all. When someone outside of her circle complements her on her looks, Beckett just acts like she didn’t even hear it. It would be different if she were a self centered Diva, but she’s not.

• Taryn says:

Beckett is amazing & Stana is magnificent playing her, yes, a role model to a 14 year old me, both in character & in real life. I can’t wait for this episode to air especially since someone mentioned that this episode’s director is the same one who directed “Somewhere In Time,” Jeannot Szwarc, one of my all time favorite movies! Knowing that Stana is being directed by a great storyteller such as Mr. Szwarc even for 42 minutes is definitely something to look forward to. Very excited. Is it Jan. already?

• tp says:

Even though I see how everyone is “upset” (and I use the word loosely) about saying that it’s another epi to highlight Becket being perfect, I have to say I agree. Lately the show has been a turn off to me because it seems like she’s always portrayed like almost perfect while Castle is a buffoon. I know the show is comedy but him being the butt of the joke all the time is getting old for me. He’s not the same as he was in season1 and 2. I like growth but this just isn’t working for me. I’m hanging in there because you never know how it will turn out. Giving it til the end of season to if I want to continue.

• tp says:

*about Guesto saying

• Just one thing says:

You don’t think Beckett dressing as Pocahontas made her a butt of a joke, even a little bit? Sure, she turned it around and got Castle back, but still. And she was actually the clueless one when they dealt with the baby, opposite his experience/confidence.
            I actually think Castle’s been portrayed as far more serious this season than any other:
            * He figured out key details in the season six premiere.
            * He had serious and understandable issues with Alexis/Pi.
            * He risked his life to negotiate with a crazy fan.
            * He figured out key details in the time-traveling episode.
            * He got to have a sexy sword fight, where he was the ultimate victor.
            * He spent an entire episode solving a case with his daughter, and saved a man’s life.
            * And he was proven right all along about Jerry Tyson.
            I know that, as fans of certain characters, we see things in different ways. But I’m genuinely not sure how else Castle could be written that would be better for his fans.
            Castle is always going to be the lighter and funnier of the lead pair. That’s never going to change. But he’s still the primary contributor to the team, and his perspective/imagination/behavior is always what ultimately helps them solve the case.

• Just one thing says:

Oh, and here are some things to suggest Beckett isn’t portrayed as perfect:
            * She screwed up in her federal training in the season premiere.
            * She got her gun taken away (again?) in Dreamworld.
            * She overplayed her hand and got fired in Need to Know, even if she did the “right” thing.
            * She didn’t call for back-up (again?!), and both she and Castle nearly died in Time Will Tell.
            * She took a back seat as a supporting role for Castle and Alexis in Like Father, Like Daughter. Her presence wasn’t needed for them to crack the case.
            * She was absolutely, positively, dead wrong about Tyson being dead.

(Credit to imdb. LOL)

• Cindy Dorsey says:

I don’t see where the writers are portraying Becket as being perfect. As for Castle ‘being the buffoon’, as you call it, is the one who keeps things ‘light’ while investigating the case at hand. I think he likes being the ‘class clown’ of the group. i know I do! And Espo is equally as funny.

• Just one thing says:

I’m not crazy about this storyline on the surface, but I do think there may be some great opportunities for comedy — particularly if Kate was emotionally scarred, and then has to interrogate her. Seeing her revert back to a terrified, insecure teen solely in the woman’s presence might be funny. It may also be a good opportunity for character development; who knows?

• Katherine215 says:

Wow, how do you get so lucky to read the scripts in advance? Since you seem to know there is no twist to the storyline that might have made Kate memorable to Matilda King, you must have advance looks at the scripts. And you also must know that Matilda King does in fact remember Kate, even though it doesn’t say here that she does, just that the two knew each other before.

• Danyelle says:

LOL. Don’t feed the hatin’ trolls.

• Just one thing says:

Personally, I’d prefer it if Matilda doesn’t remember Kate at first, which just adds to Kate’s anxiety about the whole situation. And then Matilda remembers Kate and commences to tearing her apart. :P It’s horrible and actually kind of sad, but could be really funny, too.

• scooby says:

A nobody? You don’t know the kind of impression Kate made at the time. She’s tall and has fantastic bone structure. 3XK’s girlfriend gushed about her looks before. You also don’t know the kind of modelling she did or the amount. People like Anna Wintour try to tap up and coming people as their pet projects thinking they could be huge and they don’t just remember the successes. If someone falls apart or opts not to pursue it, they might look back at it as a what could’ve been. Obviously Kate didn’t end up drugged out in a gutter so I’m guessing she decided not to keep doing it, This Anna-type is gonna take note the bone structure, etc even if she doesn’t remember Kate, because she can’t help it. That’s part of what she does for a living. It’d be funny if it takes her time to remember they’ve met while Kate’s acting insecure about it.

• Wesley says:

Beckett is definitely a stunning & beautiful woman who must have made a great impression on the Anna Wintour -type character played by Frances Fisher when Beckett thought modeling was to be a career.

The Anna Wintours of this world never forgets a beauty & possible cash cow in ramp modeling and/or glossy covers of fashion magazines. Beckett could very well be the one that got away so Frances Fisher’s character will never forget that beautiful face. I can’t wait to see this episode!

• Just one thing says:

I hope it doesn’t play like that, if only because I really dislike when shows try to tell the audience how just how amazingly beautiful their female lead is. Those tactics always seem strangely ham-fisted and super awkward.
        Most audience members know that Beckett is beautiful. :-) We don’t need other characters to tell us that.

• Wesley says:

But that’s just it, just one thing, being beautiful & a standout are most likely what made Beckett memorable to the Anna Wintaur character. This is afterall her stock & trade in the business, recognizing beauty & putting such women in her magazines & fashion shows so of course beauty is mentioned & Beckett is one beautiful woman that’s all. It’s a plain & simple plot of the episode which deals with the modeling world. Nothing more, nothing less.
          I’m very very excited to watch this episode because of this particular storyline & also especially since it’s directed by first time Castle director the great Jeannot Szwarc, film director of Somewhere In Time.
          I cannot wait.

• Just one thing says:

I can see what you mean, Wesley. But on the flip side, Matilda would have seen hundreds of beautiful women since Kate’s summer gig as a teen. It’s hard to believe that Kate would stick out to Matilda on looks alone after 15+ years. It’s just a bit of a stretch.
            Luckily, Beckett has several other qualities that make her stand out IN ADDITION to her looks, which is what makes her such a great lead character. It would make sense that something about how Kate carries herself in Matilda’s presence would remind her of the teenage Kate, or perhaps even something Kate said or did. Beckett has always been a person of action after all. And it’s been suggested that she was a bit of a rebel. Those are aspects of her past that sound very fun to explore.
            I guess, as a fan of Beckett, I will always prefer when the show highlights her depth of character, her strength, intelligence, and everything that continues to make her tick, over her beauty alone. And hopefully we’ll get those beats in this episode, too. :-)

• Carl says:

You mean, She is Drop Dead Gorgeous Beautiful.

• sonnenschein77 says:

After a couple of surgeries, yes he is gorgeous.

• sonnenschein77 says:

*She

• Dory says:

What kind of surgeries? I don’t see much difference from season 1 but I think I need a new tv.

• Just one thing says:

No more than over half of Hollywood, both male and female. It’s the name of the game, the cost of doing business, etc., etc.

• Just one thing says:

And one more thing, because comments like sonnenschien77’s and others set me on edge: Compare how most actors — particularly lead females — change over the course of a long-running series.
            From Courteney Cox & Jennifer Aniston of Friends, to Gillian Anderson of The X-Files and Ellen Pompeo of Grey’s Anatomy to many others, there’s always a notable difference in looks between earlier and later seasons. In addition to upgrading their fashion style from season to season and keeping up with hair trends, many female leads thin out considerably toward the middle and end of their series’ runs and their looks often change drastically.
            I don’t know why people act like it’s some phenomenon.

• Dory says:

Touchup surgery doesn’t necessarily make one gorgeous. The basics have to be there. I’d like to know what it did for Kathie Griffin and Sandra Bernhart. They look better but hardly gorgeous.

2. Jennifer says:

I’ll reserve judgment on the storyline but I think the casting’s great.

3. alieh86 says:

I think people forget that “castle” has been a comedicly driven procedural since day 1. The only serious episodes you can count on every season are the two-parter, bracken, and 3XK episodes. If you’re expecting something else I suggest you look else where. Honestly, I’m excited for this episode since the end of “Inventing The Girl” in season 2.

4. Apples says:

Sounds good. People are getting too heated up without even knowing the storyline. Maybe the character doesn’t remember Beckett, but Beckett remembers her. Who knows? I hope Castle never found about her secret short-lived modeling stint from the boys and gets to know now. That would be hilarious (sort of like how he found about her geeky cosplaying side from her college during the episode set at the sci-fi convention).

5. Rich Abey says:

Alright alright I get the skepticism from my fellow Castle fans…but no need to overplay it. Lets just see how it plays out. I personally am salivating over getting to know more about Kate’s model history!

6. John says:

How was modeling for one summer instead of waitressing , flirting with a modeling career ?

7. CARBONA says:

I’ve really never understood why people keep choosing sides between Stana Katic & Nathan Fillion; is it because everyone believes all the BS printed about their BTS relationship? I think they are both fantastic actors & both attractive people. The show wouldn’t have made it past season 1 w/o BOTH OF THEIR unbelievable chemistry. And for those (I’m assuming very young girls or those who act like them) who hate Nathan & worship Stana keep in mind you would have never even known Stana if it weren’t for NF’s name getting this show green-lit in the 1st place. Love & respect them both cuz you have nothing without them both.

8. Rose says:

So much drama on here lol I am really looking forward to this episode, I think it’ll be hilarious! Remember how devastated Beckett was when Ryan and Espo sent her that old photo of her modeling? I think this episode will poke fun at Beckett and I have no idea why some of you are saying that “this is another way to remind us that Beckett is perfect!” Really?! I remember only a few months ago people HATING big time on Beckett because of some of the decisions she made at the end of season 5. She’s always been a flawed caracter but with beautiful qualities. She was never portrayed as perfect. I mean really, all I can remember is reading nasty comments about Beckett and how selfish, arrogant and cruel she was. I find that all the caracters in Castle are well balanced.

9. Rick says:

What if we also find out that Castle did some modeling back in the day? In any case it sounds like a cute show. I never understand picking sides. Caskett makes the show work. They both are getting a little old for leads in shows of their own. I am hoping for seasons beyond seven.