Friday Night Lights Movie Is Dead

Friday Night LightsClear eyes, full hearts, can lose.

The long-gestating Friday Night Lights feature film has been sacked, according to exec producer Peter Berg.

“There’s not gonna be a movie,” Berg told Collider.com. “We talked about it, some people thought it was a good idea, some didn’t; I’ve come to believe it’s probably not a good idea and I seriously doubt it’s gonna happen.”

Among those who thought it was a good idea was FNL leading lady Connie Britton, who has been championing the Jason Katims-penned project for well over a year.

However, Britton’s FNL hubby, Kyle Chandler, has been less than enthusiastic about transferring Coach Taylor to the big screen.

“My general attitude about Friday Night Lights is, it was a great movie with Billy Bob [Thorton, who starred in the original film] and it was a great TV show,” Chandler told MTV News last year. “They ended it at exactly the right time and in exactly the right way, as well.”

Which side of the FNL debate did you fall on?

1. It’s not like the series ended on a cliffhanger. I miss the characters so a movie would have been nice, but not really necessary.

2. V says:

Nooooooooooo!!!!! :(

3. ggny says:

I loved FNL but i dont get how anyone thought a movie was a good idea. The show has closure both sets of character where done well and ended well. There was no reason for a movie to tarnish everything that was great about FNL. Good Move

4. TV Gord says:

Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I still don’t get why Chandler was so vehemently opposed to it.

• Alex says:

Probably because he thought enough had been done with it, it was all very good, and he didn’t see a point to forcing more material that he apparently believed would not be up to par.

5. ro says:

Only thing I wanted it for was tim and lyla reunion.

• Elly says:

Yeah, I did not care for Tim and Tyra half-ending up together.

• I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

This! I’d do anything to have Tim Riggins back in my life for two more hours.

• Leila says:

Exactually. After Lyla left the show, it just ended to me. Tim became more lost than never, and the new charaters didnt win my sympathy.

• CC says:

1000x this. The only part of the finale that did not ring true was the Tim and Tyra…whatever and a movie with a Tim and Lyla reunion would have been nice, sigh, If only ABC let Minka out of her horrid Charlie’s Angels obligations for five minutes to film one scene and I’d have been happy.

6. Maya says:

This is so sad. I miss this show and these character so much. Sigh. If only..

7. Apples says:

I never thought it was going to happen. Loved the TV show, was satisfied with the ending. Happy to have moved on.

8. Tulpe says:

Well I guess it’s for the best….but I miss Tami Taylor so friggin’ much….her and Coach.

9. Dan says:

So upset! The series was nearly flawless, so I was super-excited about a movie follow-up. It wasn’t totally necessary, but I would never turn down more FNL! And with Jason Katims writing the film you know it had to be a damn good script…

10. wrstlgirl says:

I have to agree with Chandler. I wouldn’t have necessarily hated a FNL movie but it was already done and my gut tells me the 2nd one would be a flop. I say leave well enough alone :-)

11. Amanda says:

I love love LOVED the show and if the movie had happened I would’ve been so thrilled but I’m ok with it not. Don’t get me wrong though, I miss the hell out of the Taylors and I will never say no to spending more time with them.

12. Chris says:

I would take as much FNL as I can get, but I really wanted the movie to be focused on Saracen and Julie in Chicago…so there’s that…

13. Tran 2.0 says:

This makes me feel sad. I’m starting to cry now. :-(

14. Superhero says:

Good. There was absolutely no need for it. The show was terrific, but it ended perfectly. Glad Chandler stuck to his guns.

15. kate says:

Well this is depressing time to continue hope for a Gilmore Girls movie

16. CH says:

I don’t get the big to-do about a FNL movie, seeing as how there already was one that was much closer to the book than the spin-off TV series. FNL was a good show. Let it rest.

17. Jared says:

Count me among those who are glad that this movie fell through. While Friday Night Lights will always have a special place in my heart, I thought that the TV series ended the story perfectly I really didn’t need to see any more, especially since the proposed story appeared likely to focus on the Taylors’ new lives in Philadelphia. Dillon, Texas and the people who lived there were an integral part of what made the show so great, and whatever mechanics Berg and his team had in mind to reunite the characters was destined to feel inorganic and anticlimactic – whether it was bringing Saracen/Julie/Riggins/Vince/etc to Philly, giving them separate stories in Chicago/Texas/Wherever, moving the Taylors back to Texas, or focusing only on Coach Taylor’s new team. I’m sure that they could have found a great story and executed it well. But I didn’t need to see it – nearly all of the characters on the show received closure, and I did as well.

I’m thrilled that Joss Whedon was able to provide Browncoats with a Firefly wrap-movie in Serenity. I’m glad that Rob Thomas, Kristen Bell, and the Kickstarter crowd were able to pull together the funds for a Veronica Mars movie. I would love to see other brilliant, gone-too-soon series get the opportunity for a wrap-up film in the future. But Friday Night Lights got 5 Seasons to tell its story, and they told it brilliantly all the way through to the series finale (and truth be told, the show basically had THREE series finales, considering how well Season 1 and Season 3 end things). Let Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can’t Lose and Texas Forever live on in our hearts, our memories … and on Netflix and DVD sets everywhere.

18. Amanda says:

I really agree with kyle’s sentiment. There’s seem to be a new wave of “let’s continue onto the big screen!” When a show ends now. I don’t think it really works all the time. Not everything needs to be continued especially when you’ve given a sufficent ending. It’s different with say Veronica Mars who ended on a cliffhanger.

19. Gabby says:

Noooooo :(

20. Leila says:

The only thing that would make me watch this hypothetical movie is Lyla. If they were able to take Minka and Taylor back, it would be perfect. You guys can judge me, but I didnt like the coach’s family very much. And I really cant stand Connie acting.

• Drew says:

By the end of the series I did kinda hate Mrs. Taylor. A lot.

But a movie with Coach Taylor, Tyra, Lyla, Julie, Matt, Tim, Landry, Smash and Street would be cool… and entirely odd, forcing those people back together.

21. Drew says:

The first season was great. The second season has some incredibly bad storylines. After that the show was okay but it never really got back to its highest heights. I don’t think that a movie is necessary.

22. Andy says:

Why not some 5- minute Dinnertime With The Taylors webisodes…would be awesome!

• MA says:

Right?! That’s all I care about…Coach and Mrs. Coach hanging out in Philadelphia, snarking at the dinner table, maybe finally telling Julie to stop being such a brat. I don’t need a movie, but it would be great if they did webisodes over the years to see how the family ended up.

23. Quinn Mallory says:

While I would have been excited about a FNL movie, I did love the way the TV series ended. I wonder what the FNL movie script would have been like, but these things are fortunately always leaked now sooner or later.

24. LB says:

I’m not sure I could ever look at Landry the same way again after Breaking Bad…

25. Brooke says:

They had the luck of getting to end the show on their terms. The ending was satisfying and wrapped everything up appropriately. Be glad the movie fell through; the last thing FNL fans want is to repeat what the Sex and the City movies did to the perfectly wraped-up SatC finale.

26. Dana says:

I am heartbroken. I discovered FNL via Netflix in January, binge-watched all 76 episodes and fell in love with the show–and Kyle Chandler all over again (Early Edition). It wasn’t just a show, it was like watching life happening to other people and getting to cheer for them and cry with them and go through everything with them. I’ve never experienced a connection to characters or a show or even a movie like that in my life. So, yes, I selfishly wanted more time with the folks of FNL, if only for another two hours.Mostly, though, I wanted to see Chandler in a leading man role on the big screen. Fellow Emmy winners and nominees Jon Hamm (Mad Men), Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad), Damian Lewis (Homeland) and Jeff Daniels (The Newsroom) all have leading man feature films coming out in the next few months. He’s had a nice run playing small supporting roles in Oscar winners this year (Argo and Zero Dark Thirty) and indie favorite The Spectacular Now, but those roles were just that: small. He got lost in a sea of large ensemble casts and character actors and had, what, maybe five minutes or less of screen time in each film, if that? The Wolf of Wall Street hasn’t opened yet in my city (Miami), but since its run time is 3 hours, maybe we’ll all get lucky and he’ll have a full 10 minutes of screen time! Anyway, a new FNL movie would have been a chance for him to shine on the big screen and be taken seriously as a leading man on the big screen–which would have been a welcomed change from all the man-boys, video game geeks and pseudo-superhero types out there now. And what exactly happened to The Vatican pilot he did for Showtime? It’s been stuck in post-production pergatory (couldn’t resist) for months, which is usually a nice way of saying it didn’t get picked up for series. So, no Kyle Chandler on the big or small screens in 2014. Thanks, Coach!

27. Karl Christen says:

Not sure why they needed to have Taylor and his family even come back to do the movie. They could have created a nice little drama. Have some drama at the highschool with the current team. The older Riggins boy could be going to night school to be a full time head coach, Tim would be running the repair shop (he was better anyway). You could have Tyra and Tim working through some issues. Jason Street gets fired and divorces his wife (or some other story line), he returns to town with his daughter, works with Lyla’s father again at the car dealership. Buddy has a heart attack, Lyla returns to town. Jason and Lyla hookup, Buddy dies in the hospital and Jason takes over the dealership. Things at the highschool get worse, the current coach gets fired, and they ask Tim’s brother to take over as coach. It wouldn’t be hard and no need for coach Taylor! :)

28. Katie says:

I truly believe that they should start the show back up. I feel a movie wouldn’t be the best idea but fnl is and was one of the best tv shows I have watched in a long time. I miss Matt and Julie….. and coach! Really wish they would start again! I know that could go far with this program. PRAYING THEY BRING FNL BACK!!!!!! PLEASE