Showtime Cancels Californication

Episode 603Showtime is hooking up with Californication one more time, and then it’s really over.

The racy cable series’ upcoming seventh season will be its lastTV Guide Magazine reports.

The half-hour dramedy is slated to return in April; in a statement, the network said the final episodes will wrap the storylines of major characters Hank (played by David Duchovny), Karen (Natasha McElhone), Charlie (Evan Handler) and Marcy (Pamela Adlon).

RELATED | Exclusive First Look: Episodes Season 3 Promo Highlights Sean’s Very Best Catch-Faces

Californication‘s Season 7 roster of guest stars includes Michael Imperioli (The Sopranos), Heather Graham (Scrubs), Mary Lynn Rajskub (24), Mercedes Masöhn (666 Park Avenue) and Roger Howarth (General Hospital), among others.

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the news.

1. Good ridance… It was interesting show at the beggining and then after season 3 it became really bad. Last season was actually good, hope this one would be, too…

• Eric7740 says:

I agree, I stopped watching after season 3. Even David D’s ruggedly handsome good looks, and occasional glimpse of his backside could keep me tuned in after that. Best of luck to David on his future projects!

• wealthypeople22 says:

Wow..My friend Emily has just married to a handsome wealthy passionate older man. They met through …..RichFishes.ōrg ….. The largest place for meeting successful wealthy men and classy women. Meet Doctors, Lawyers, Professionals, Millionaires, Billionaires, Entrepreneurs, CEOs, Athletes, and Models, College Students, Actresses, Playmates, and the sexy Girls Next Door.
        dfsf

• Yut says:

Well, now he can play special agent D. Pride in NCIS New Orleans. ;-)

2. Joe says:

Should’ve ended two years ago

3. Sam says:

I keep up with television nearly all the time, and I had no idea this was still on.

So… boo, I guess?

4. wrstlgirl says:

Not surprised. The story has been told, again and again. The series has been getting stale for a couple seasons now.

5. ggny says:

I hate when people say a show is canceled after it has been on for 5+ seasons and is getting another to get closure. IT IS NOT CANCELED IT IS ENDING THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. Pushing Daises was Canceled…Californication is ending there is a difference

• Dan says:

I completely agree there is a difference and it should be reported that way. One thing is being pulled off the air. Another is to have time to tell its story and then come to a natural end. Can anyone say Lost was “cancelled”? What about We Are Men, was it naturally ended? It’s abundantly clear these are two very unlike situations.

• sexyback says:

It’s called “cancelation” when the network decides it’s time to end it and gives the show one last year to wrap things up.
        Lost was different because the creators kind of pressured the network to give it an end date. That was around season 3, I think. In the end they agreed on 6 seasons which gave the creators enough time to tell their story

• tommy says:

I actually clicked on this article to make the same exact comment. By using the word ‘Canceled’ it has a negative connotation like the show did not succeed. ‘Californication’ was a success series that is ending on it’s own regard, which makes it a success story, and should be given the respect that it deserves.

• Mark says:

They did the same with Fringe in all the articles claiming it was cancelled yet it was allowed to finish on its own terms. And this show looks like its getting a similar send off…

• HanksGirl says:

That’s true. They went into last season saying it was the last. It was not canceled.

• DavidSask says:

I agree there is huge difference and professional sites like this that report on such things should know the fn’ difference!!!

6. Tori says:

I wish the cast luck on future endeavors but I have to be honest I stopped watching seasons ago. I found David character was unappealing and depressing. The character of Karen was the type who kept getting into toxic relationships with Hank. Becca made me glad I have no children.

7. Dan says:

Now, on the more pertinent ending of Californication, I can only say it has fulfilled its trajectory. I’ve been a fan since season 1, but the show has told its story and we can only feel grateful to be able to have a final season and closure for the characters we loved for so long. God knows the last two seasons were pretty pointless and empty. I will wait anxiously for the final one, though, since I think they have something interesting hidden to tell for last, and there will at least be an intended purpose.

8. Marie says:

Okay now will be a good time for Gillian Anderson to guess star on the show now!!

9. Moody Forever! says:

I do wish people would quit mixing up the fact they they lost interest in a show with ‘the story having been told’. If you stop enjoying it then fair enough, you were right to stop watching (or you should have) but for people still enjoying the misadventures of Moody, the show could have gone on indefinitely. Season six, for example, was just brilliant television, and I’m still gutted that Faith didn’t get her spinoff, especially if Atticus would have been a regular on the show too. Phenomenal characters.

All that said, I’m glad the show is going to get the definitive ending it deserves. As others have stated ‘ending’ is not the same as cancelled. Still going to miss Team Moody though.

10. HAP says:

The acting community was well served by this show, in that nearly 400 different actors appeared during the course of its first six years.

11. Sarah says:

The last season and they’re not going to bring Madeline Zima back? Not cool.

12. HanksGirl says:

Do we know for sure Madeline Zima won’t be back? Although I can’t really see a reason for her to be there.

• Doug H says:

No show started better than having grown up Madeline Zima topless slapping David Duchovny. I was surprised and happy that it lasted this long… I do agree that calling it cancelled was probably a misnomer.. I suspect the producers and actors figured it was time to move on and wrote this season as an ender…

13. HanksGirl says:

Now these two articles got it right. I

‘Californication’ Ending Run After Upcoming Seventh Season

The long-running series Californication starring David Duchovny will be ending its run after its upcoming seventh season.
    The twelve episode season will premiere in April and will be ending while it is still on top. The ratings for the show have grown steadily throughout the series and reached its top rated season for the sixth season.
    “With its unique blend of lyricism and excess, Californication has been one of our groundbreaking signature series,” said Showtime entertainment president David Nevins. “We will always be indebted to Tom Kapinos for leading the creative charge on this memorable comedy, and to David Duchovny for making us root for an unapologetic hedonist like Hank Moody.”
    “Tom has carefully planned the final chapter of Hank’s journey and has brought it to a beautiful and satisfying conclusion for new and long-time fans alike,” he added.
    December 9, 2013 | 11:07AM PT

“Californication” will be coming to a close at the end of season seven, Variety has confirmed. Comedy will return for its final season in April.
    The David Duchovny-starrer, which debuted on the net in 2007, has accrued several Golden Globe and Emmy nominations, including a best actor Golden Globe win for Duchovny in 2008. Season six averaged 2.9 million weekly viewers across Showtime’s platforms after growing consistently throughout its run on the pay TV net.
    “With its unique blend of lyricism and excess, ‘Californication’ has been one of our groundbreaking signature series,” said David Nevins, prez of entertainment at Showtime. “We will always be indebted to Tom Kapinos for leading the creative charge on this memorable comedy, and to David Duchovny for making us root for an unapologetic hedonist like Hank Moody. Tom has carefully planned the final chapter of Hank’s journey and has brought it to a beautiful and satisfying conclusion for new and long-time fans alike.”
    “Californication” is created and exec produced by Tom Kapinos.
    Filed Under:

• Moody Forever! says:

Could not agree more, HanksGirl. It’s all in how you say it.

Should say though, if you actually were Hank’s girl, you know he’d be verbally ripping into you for the lack of apostrophe in your username, right? ;)

14. Mandy says:

Sounds like season 7 is to be the last season because because the executive producer and the star (Duchovny) believe it should be the last season because the story is complete, and not because Showtime decided to cancel the show.