Scoop: Fox Cuts Dads Episode Order

Get More: Scheduling News

DadsFox doesn’t need Dads as much as it thought it did.

The network, which picked up the rookie comedy for a full 22-episode season earlier this fall, has trimmed that order to 19, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

According to sources, Fox execs took a look at their jam-packed midseason schedule — which will feature the launch of several new comedies, including Enlisted and Surviving Jack — and determined it did not have room for 22 Dads.

Tags: ,

Comments (32)

• Boom, roasted!

Comment by Will – December 6, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Good!

Comment by Teag – December 6, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • terrible show is terrible

Comment by josh – December 6, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do we know if the others are any better?

Comment by Boiler – December 6, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I haven’t heard much either way about Surviving Jack (though I’m looking forward to it; Bill Lawrence is a god), but I’ve heard really good reviews for Enlisted.

Comment by Eric – December 6, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They could have ended it with one episode if they were really thinking. That show sucks. And I feel sorry about the fact that it appears on their resume.

Comment by Morgan – December 6, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if Glee is next. Their ratings hit a new low each week and that show is expensive to produce, add in the drop in music sales and you got to wonder if they decide to scrap S6.

Comment by Glee – December 6, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fingers crossed if Dads gets canceled after our long national nightmare is over.

Comment by Tran 2.0 – December 6, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah was awful. Tried it because I’m a Seth Green fan but it felt like it came from a different era! So unfunny that i didn’t even give it a second chance

Comment by Jason – December 6, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s exactly what I came here to write. Caught 3 episodes. Even Seth Green is unusually unlikable in this dated drivel.

Comment by tara17 – December 8, 2013 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve seen three episodes so far and really liked it.

Comment by Michael Sacal – December 6, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like it too

Comment by Sonia Sinton-Clark (@Sonr) – December 6, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. Baffled by the hate being slammed at this smart, hilarious show. Hubby and I are multi-racial/ethnic couple, impatient with most vanilla writing out there–Dads has us crying-laughing (and the cast! quality!). FOX, you have a gem here. Dads and Mindy Project!

Comment by Jill and Joe – December 21, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just cancel the show already Fox! This show is awful!

Comment by Allyson – December 6, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they get rid of Dads I will be done with Fox, I will walk away from Sleepy Hollow, and The Following in protest…

Comment by Jeff – December 6, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Either I’m missing your sarcasm, or you actually LIKE Dads. You seem to be intelligent enough to operate a computer, so which would point to the former, but one never can tell.

If it is the latter then… good God, man, WHY?

Comment by Planck Hate (@planckhate) – December 6, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s one small step closer to deserved cancellation.

Comment by Sean C. – December 6, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should have just canceled the show and moved Raising Hope to somewhere else then move the dead shows to Friday.

Comment by David4 – December 6, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously funny show, if you’re not watching you are missing out! Hopefully it will continue on. Love this show and the fantastic cast!

Comment by Tracey – December 6, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I get enough awkward racism at my local Wal-Mart, thanks.

Comment by Auntie Ralph – December 7, 2013 03:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I genuinely enjoy Dads. I look forward to it each week. Granted, I was already a Seth Macfarlane and Seth Green fan, and Giovanni Ribisi is amazing in every role he plays, so I am a little biased. Not all TV shows need to be intelligent or have deeper meaning, I watch Dads because I can put it on, not have to think about things, and have some laughs (Brenda Song is seriously funny). I have no doubt it will be cancelled, but am disappointed we won’t get a full 22.

Comment by erin – December 6, 2013 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since so many people seem to like it, maybe I watched it wrong. I was sober. I’ll put a few bottles of alcohol in me and try again. Liquid courage, because the show sucks.

Comment by Morgan – December 7, 2013 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope this is good for Mindy….

Comment by Vittoria Marinelli – December 7, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Dads. It’s funny, amusing, great cast. I don’t understand the people that don’t like it but I doubt they really watched it with an open mind and heart. Did they push the envelope? yes they did.

Comment by bobbie – December 7, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Pushing the envelope” is not the same thing as repeating tired old racist jokes under the guise of being edgy.

Comment by Sean C. – December 7, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Yeah it’s racist but it’s racist to everyone which makes it funny. Everyone forgets that All In The Family did the same thing and was a huge hit. So yeah, they push the envelope but that’s better than a show that’s ho hum.

Comment by LL – December 7, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • For the record, I was replying to and agreeing with Bobbie but it came out under Sean C whom I definitely don’t agree with.

Comment by LL – December 7, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • All in the Family was made in the 1970′s. That type of racist humor was funny back then, but we’ve since learnt better. Or have we? Guess not. :-(

Comment by AndThereItIs – December 9, 2013 01:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I may be in the minority here, but I like Dads. It’s funny. The network comedies are bad. The Goldbergs, The Millers, Trophy Wife, Crazy Ones, Michael J. Fox…none of them are any good. Dads is the best out of a sad bunch. And who knows what Fox will bring out. They don’t exactly have the best shows either.

Comment by Phillie – December 7, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uh, Dads is a Fox show, so yeah, your observation here is spot on. (Although there are other Fox shows that are sooooooooo much better). And also, ALL the comedies you mentioned, however mediocre, are less embarrasing than Dads. You might need a taste check-up. Yeah, BOOM!, I said it! :-)

Comment by AndThereItIs – December 9, 2013 01:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post