Breaking Bad, Orange Is the New Black, House of Cards Lead 2014 WGA Nominations

Orange Is the New Black Season 1 SpoilersNominations for the 2014 Writers Guild Awards were announced Thursday, and AMC’s Breaking Bad and Netflix’s Orange Is the New Black (which entered as a comedy) led with four nods apiece.

Netflix’s other freshman entry, House of Cards, also fared well with three nominations, tying Modern Family, Futurama and The Simpsons.

Scroll down for the nominations list…

RELATED | Awards Shock: Orange is the New Black to Enter Emmy, Golden Globe Races as a Drama Series

DRAMA SERIES

Saturday Night Live

DAYTIME DRAMA
Days of Our Lives,
General Hospital
The Young and the Restless

1. Eddie says:

Parks for all the awards.

P.S so happy OITNB submitted in the comedy category!!

• scooby says:

Did they though? They’re going drama at the Golden Globes. Maybe the WGA ballot was before they switched over and they’re just going with it. Kate Mulgrew said doesn’t look at it as a comedy. I don’t like the way they’ve got it here because someone else could’ve had that comedy slot.

• scooby says:

When I say the ballot was before they switched over, I mean the comedy to drama move might’ve happened after the nominees for things like this had been out for shortlisting or whatever it is they do to narrow it down. They had been pointing comedy earlier.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

You’re exactly right, Scooby, that is what happened. They were originally going as a comedy for awards season, and then decided to switch to drama, but at that point, the WGA deadline had passed, so they couldn’t change there. Though personally, I feel the opposite as you and am glad they didn’t take a drama spot because there are way more dramas out there I like than comedies.

• Joseph says:

Nothing against , But ,

for Drama , House of Cards ,
      for Comedy , Orange is the New Black
      New Series , Masters of Sex ,

2. Martina says:

In episodic drama I’d go with TGW’s Hitting the Fan, but obviously any BrBa episode is going to win. In comedy I’d go with Parks and Rec but I don’t think the nominated episode was the stongest one (I much prefer Two Parties or the season finale over that ep) so I choose OITNB’s pilot.

3. cjeffery7 says:

masters of sex and orange is the new black – best new series by far, can’t compete, can’t pick between them.

4. Linds says:

Seriously!? No Orphan Black?

• Elizabeth says:

This. So much this.

• Dav says:

OK, let’s not get carried away here. This award is from the WRITERS guild. Look, I love the show but it is not exactly Shakespeare. I think we can all agree that the strength of Orphan Black is the fantastic acting of it’s star. Take her away and you’d just have a mediocre show.

5. Leigh says:

Other than OITNB and The Americans, it’s pretty much the same boring stuff. And the fact there’s no Orphan Black included is a huge miss.

6. corey says:

sad, no Game of Thrones or Walking Dead love. :(

7. Parker says:

MadMen and Parks

8. dax says:

Finally The Americans get some deserving Recognition! I hope they win!

• scooby says:

Ditto I was glad to see that though they should’ve been in for drama series. Not happy that Craig Ferguson got left off again. How far down the list are they gonna kick him? Portlandia gets in ahead of the Late Late Show? The Mindy Project deserves to get in based on what they’ve done this past season. Obviously the WGA does not care about Chris Messina dancing (they probably don’t but the whole world should ;) ). Someone should’ve sent them a loop of that in a gift bag.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Gasp. Portlandia is awesome. :) Full disclosure though, I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and that’s probably why I love that show. I’ve even got pioneer ancestors buried in cemeteries in Portland. I know many people who have never visited the northwest who really don’t like Portlandia, so I can understand how it wouldn’t connect with people who haven’t lived around the lifestyles they’re making fun of on that show. If I’m remembering correctly, Portlandia actually won this category last year.

9. renee z says:

Orange is the new black, Masters of sex, and the Americans… Where is Ray Donovan? These are my favorite new shows… Particularly loving MOS, can’t believe this season is almost over :(

10. PFitzDC says:

All worthy enough….but I really think Scandal needs to be on that list. Have the members not heard all those glorious, glorious monologues? (Never mind the break-neck plotting and pacing, which is nothing short of revolutionary for TV today.)

• Kelly says:

Did you just say Scandal’s break-neck pacing was revolutionary? Um, I’m sorry…have you never heard of a little show called “24”.

11. Christian says:

The fact that Modern Family continues to be nominated for these things just shows how sad the state of comedy is on TV. Don’t get me wrong, I still watch MF and am occasionally amused, but no way does this show merit award attention any longer.

• Jason says:

I agree. Although I honestly believe that OITNB is not a comedy, I am happy it was nominated as one because I think the (well deserved) hype from this new show may actually help it knock Modern Family off of the pedestal.

• Butters says:

As someone who still enjoys Modern Family, I have to agree. The current state of television comedy is very poor, which is why Modern Family continues to be nominated. It would be interesting but not feasible to see how it would stand up to other great comedies of the past such as Cheers, Friends, Mary Tyler Moore, and Dick Van Dyke which are still relevant today. Although, I am still bitter that Better Off Ted never got the award love it needed and deserved.

12. Hodan says:

No love for Game of Thrones and Orphan Black?

13. xx says:

I need “Hitting the Fan” to win. Maybe all the BB votes will split…

14. lululime says:

Breaking Bad has won the past 2 years in a row for Drama. For Episode Drama, “The Other Woman” (Mad Men) won last year, and Breaking Bad/Homeland tied the year before for “Box Cutter” and “The Good Soldier”.

DAYS has had a tremendous year in terms of its writing and dialogue. I don’t watch Y&R, but I’ve only heard not great things about its writing.

15. i’m glad for OINTB,but where is Orphan Black????!!! come on! deja vu -what happened at the Emmys,gets repeated.

16. Britta Unfiltered says:

I was under the impression Veep was mostly ad-libbed, so I am surprised they can pull of a WGA nomination. I love the show though.
    So…does anyone think that Breaking Bad and Orange is the New Black don’t win here?
    Urgh. Another snub for Arrested Development. Season four was really well structured. It should be in here.
    I’m kind of sad all three of those Breaking Bad episodes made it in over Ozymandias, which was my favorite episode of the season. Glad to see Confessions in there though.