Ratings: Survivor and Flash-y Arrow Hit Highs, All ABC Sitcoms Slip, X Factor Rises

The ScientistThe CW’s Arrow put up some Barry good numbers this Wednesday night, rising 19 percent to deliver its largest audience since February – 3.24 million total viewers, per finals — while ticking up two tenths to match its season-high demo rating of 1.2.

Leading out of that, The Tomorrow People (1.74 mil/0.6) added a handful of eyeballs while flat in the demo.

Elsewhere….

CBS | Survivor (10.6 mil/2.6) surged 20 and 18 percent, grabbing its largest audience of the season.

ABC | The Middle (7.5 mil/1.9) dropped four tenths in the demo, Back in the Game (5.2 mil/1.4) was down two tenths, Modern Family (9.4 mil/3.2) fell two tenths and Super Fun Night’s retrofitted “lost” pilot episode (4.9 mil/1.6) slipped two tenths. (Was it still ghastly, folks?) Nashville held steady with 5.7 mil/1.6.

RELATED | Nashville Recap: Friends in Low Places

FOX | The X Factor did 5.4 mil and a 1.4, up 10 percent and two tenths week-to-week.

RELATED | X Factor Top 6 Performance Recap: I Stand Here Waiting for You to Bang the Gong

NBC | The Rock Center tree lighting thing this year drew 9.9 mil and a 2.3 (up two tenths to its best rating in seven years), while SNL’s Christmas special did 8.5 mil/2.6.

1. enri says:

Go Arrow! Great episode last night.

• Dennis says:

Eh, the problem I have is that Flash isn’t gay and when I see Grant that’s all I see. I know he’s not gay but when I see him all I recognize him as Sebastian. My problem is that I identify actors by the first character I see them in. like Sara Michelle Geller will always be Buffy, Nathan Fillion will always be Mal. on the flip side when I see Neil Patrick Harries or Matt Bomer it’s hard for me to see them as gay as I identify them with Doogie Howser and Neal Caffrey. It’s an odd problem I know.

• TL says:

Yup, it is odd…and it’s your problem.

I thought Grant was unrecognizable from GLEE and did a much better job than expected.

• Kathy says:

I totally agree. I was worried when they cast him, but he proved to me that he was right for the part.

• Mikael says:

I was worried about this casting too, as it seemed too “Gossip Girl” for me. We already have Roy as the token pretty boy, and I was hoping for someone like Amell, but I was surprised at how well Grant played his character. Not at all like he was on Glee, which is a very good thing. I’m not sure he can carry his own show, though. And I thought his romance with Felicity was too quick and forced. Moira continues to be awesome. I’m so glad they didn’t kill her.

2. Elyse says:

last nights arrow was so good! (except for the flashbacks) definitely a Barry fan!’

3. XY says:

Great TTP! I don’t watch Arrow since season 1, but I heard it improved a lot. Will be checking the Flash pilot tho.

4. Alex H. says:

I liked him. I mean, I wasn’t completely convinced but I think that he did a fine job. He didn’t have a whole lot though this week so maybe next week we’ll see what he’s capable of. That being said, to my DC fans, are they going to tie in the movies with the series’? Because that’s what I’ve been hearing and it was my only concern when Gustin was casted.

5. DenverDean says:

No CBS or Nashville?

6. Joel says:

I hope that season 3 of Arrow lets go of the Island flashbacks. The Starling City characters are far more interesting. And the island is an unnecessary break in the action at this point.

• Charissa says:

I agree with you, the island isn’t as interesting (though I do love Slade and really hope last night wasn’t actually the last we see of him). However, since they seem to be going chronologically with that story (season 1 showed year 1 on the island, and now season 2 is showing year 2) I’m thinking they’re probably not planning on getting rid of them any time soon.

• Elyse says:

love the idea Joel! lets hope the writers listen to us fans!

• Ben says:

There are 5 years of story on the island. I don’t want them to just abandon this part of the story – they need to have finished it/gotten up to the point of him being rescued. I take your point, which is fair, but to me they are a part of the fabric of the show, and need to be seen through.

• Drew says:

I completely disagree. The story of Oliver’s five years away is as essential as the Starling City plots. If they get rid of those stories, it will be all about what he’s doing and they will lose the element of why he’s doing it or how he got to this point. The island is where Oliver’s arc from spoiled brat to hero takes place. Why on Earth would they cut that out of the series?

7. Fen says:

Just started watching Arrow after Binge-watching season 1 in 2 days! It is a really fun show and my new addiction. I think the fact that its on the CW relegates it to obscurity due to that network’s tendency to attract a younger audience. I think it should get the cover of TV Guide’s “The best show you are not watching” edition.

8. Dan says:

The constant stream of DC names and references that appear on this show are fantastic but the Kord Industries centrifuge really made my night for some geek reason…

9. Charissa says:

I enjoyed the introduction of Barry Allen last night, and really enjoyed how he interacted with the Arrow cast, however as much as I loved Grant Gustin in the role (so much more likable than he was on Glee!) I am not yet convinced of his ability to carry an entire series. He may need a strong cast to back him up; I’m curious to see how the character further evolves in next week’s episode, and I’ll reserve final judgement for when we see the actual pilot.

10. Boston2AZ says:

Obviously, I’m the outlier here, but I thought this was the weakest episode this season. I realize that the CW skews young, but the Barry Allen actor looked about 12. And Oliver is dying, so we run directly to an assistant CSI as the one person who can save him? Just awful for me.

• DarkDefender says:

They can’t go to the cops. Unless they want to expose Oliver as the Arrow, so Barry is the closest thing they have to a chemist/doctor. Makes perfect sense.

• Drew says:

Dude, I was carded going into an R-rated movie in my mid-20’s. I sympathize with the character who looks too young to be where he is. It did provide some nice humor though.

11. Nicole says:

I adored Barry. Cannot wait to see him in his own series. I think the thing to remember is that while he’ll be a lead on his own show, on Arrow, he couldn’t take over too much. These eps aren’t his pilot just an introduction to his character and I thought he was pretty strong in establishing himself as a more than normal guest star and we got enough teases of a charismatic character with a rich backstory. Also people joke about his age, but DC already has the adult manly hero series in Arrow; Barry being the younger geekier ‘brother’ opens up a slightly different avenue to explore of the intellectual geek maturing into the brainy hero/man of action. I can seriously see Ollie as the sterner, gruff older brother mentor to the gleeful, awkward Barry. It’s a relationship that could be really cool.

And as big a Ollie/Felicity hopeful as I am, I bought Barry and Felicity as a pairing as well to the point that if they did the unthinkable and spun her off to The Flash series as his lady love, I would not be upset. I loved them that much.

I’m sold on Grant Gustin as Barry. Now I want to see him as the Flash.

• JLK says:

I agree. Flash has been portrayed as immature and impish over the years. To capture those qualities, I would much rather see a younger guy who’s still on the road to maturity than some hunky guy who basically acts like a man-child.

12. ggny says:

Grant surprised the hell out of me with how good he was. But i dont think he will be able to carry his own series i do however think he should be apart of Arrow like Green Arrow was apart of Smallville

13. wrstlgirl says:

Haven’t watched Arrow yet so can’t comment there but this is the most bizarre season of Survivor I’ve ever seen. Just wish the plan last night would have worked :-( On Nashville the best part of the episode was Will’s story. The rest is just meh.

14. Elin says:

Arrow was sooo good! :D

15. someone says:

I liked Barry, but not quite sure if I’d enjoy a show only about him. I’d prefer him as a recurring. Grant is an average actor (no offence intented) and I don’t think he can carry a whole show in his shoulders.
    One more thing: If they make a Flash show, PLEASE, DON’T TAKE FELICITY OUT OF ARROW and put her there! She’s one of my favorite characters and I want her to stay on team Arrow

16. Jared says:

ARROW was so good!!! So excited for The Flash series. Grant was awesome.

17. tp says:

Arrow was good last night. I liked Barry but I don’t think he can carry an entire show alone.

18. b says:

I hope the pilot doesn’t work out and Arrow keeps Barry Allen. Selfish, I know! He was great. If he does get his own show I’ll watch. Arrow has become one of my favorite shows.

19. Jared says:

Grant made Barry Allen so geeky and likeable and his backstory with his mothers death makes you root for him as a superhero even more. Now im even more excited about The Flash pilot.

20. MP says:

Arrow was great and I really enjoyed Barry’s scenes, especially the ones with Felicity. I’ve never read a comic book and I have a question about Barry’s background. He said his mother died and his father was arrested for her murder. Does he ever find out who really killed his mother and, if so, what happens with his father?

Like a few other posters, I don’t really like the island flashbacks. I like them on their own, in terms of storytelling, but the way they’re thrown in makes the present day scenes disjointed and breaks the rhythm, in my opinion.

And, I love Nashville. Every single week. I just love that show.

21. D says:

I still wish they would have made the Raven T.V. show, a Nightwing show would be great or a Red Robin both would do great for TV they would be like a Batman but more fun

22. JC says:

I loved last night’s Arrow. I was one of those who was skeptical about the casting, and the whole Barry/Felicity thing, but I found myself greatly enjoying both. I will at least give the Flash show a try now, but a lot is going to depend on whether they can do as good of a job with that show as they’re currently doing on Arrow. And who they cast for supporting characters. Speaking of supporting characters, anyone notice that Laurel was nowhere to be seen, for the second time this season? I didn’t until the episode was over. For the show’s supposed leading lady, the show seems to get along just fine without her. About the island flashbacks, I actually enjoyed them more this time than I have for a while, maybe because I was wondering what was going to happen to Slade? I don’t know. Also, interesting that Moira knows about the League of Assassins, and was able to get Malcolm to back off for now. Wonder how that’s all going to play out?

23. JC says:

I forgot to mention though that I would NOT be in favor of Felicity moving to the spinoff, even though I may have enjoyed their scenes. Felicity needs to stay right where she is.

24. N tTVf says:

Regarding ABC’s Wednesday night comedy lineup, and Modern Family specifically: sometimes, when a series goes into syndication while it is still in production on broadcast network TV, the results can be good. I think HIMYM got a shot in the arm when the first four [?] seasons hit the syndication market a few years ago. Maybe going into syndication this fall has not helped Modern Family in the same manner. Between USA-Network and various independent local station syndication markets, Modern Family is shown quite a bit each week at all hours of the evening/night. Maybe too much of a good thing?

Bottom line – ABC needs to turn a corner here at 8:30 leading into Modern Family on Wednesday nights. We’ll see what Suburgatory can do once it returns in January, but it would be nice to see Family’s numbers climb a bit more, giving ABC more time to re-seed the 8:30 and particularly, the 9:30 slots over the next season or two.

By the time Suburgatory and Mixology end their episode orders, it will probably be too late to consider moving Trophy Wife and Goldbergs over from Tuesday. The numbers: 3.5/1.1 and 4.5/1.4 will probably be lower by then as well. At that point, we’re in March/April at best, and ABC will be looking at pilots for the fall to fill those Wednesday 8:30 and 9:30 slots. Too bad – I think ABC may have missed a full season of opportunity here to mix-n-match their comedy shows on Wednesday nights. We may well be looking at a Modern Family spin-off in the spring pilot order to try to hit pay-dirt next fall at Wed. 9:30/8:30.

25. Gerald says:

I really enjoyed the Arrow episode last night with everything that didn’t involve Grant Gustin. He was terribly cast. Him and Felicity…. please. Too young and can’t see him as any kind of superhero. I get what they are doing and I really wanted to like the Flash. But don’t think this kid can carry a TV show. Let alone a superhero TV show. The ratings were great, but that was in spite of Grant Gustin.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, guess I’m in the minority with you but I thought Gustin was the weakest part of the episode. I’m sure he’s a great guy and all but I just wasn’t at all feeling him in that role. Otherwise, another top-notch episode(and I loved Moira throwing Ra’s al Ghul in Malcolm’s face–Susanna Thompson is BOSS in every scene she’s in.

26. JC says:

According to TVbytheNumbers, Arrow adjusted up to a 1.2 in the final ratings. :) Yay!

27. Drew says:

Arrow was pretty awesome last night. I’m interested in seeing what they do with the Barry character from here… since his show is getting its own pilot rather than being an episode of Arrow, I wonder how deeply they’ll take the superpowers on Arrow now.

The Tomorrow People was horrible though. Seriously, the inconsistency with their powers is approaching Heroes levels. Characters do stupid things, just because the writers need them to be stupid in order to set up their story. It’s awkward and silly.

• Lilly says:

I agree, Drew. I’m liking the characters and basic premise of the story, but honestly what have we accomplished so far this season? Nothing. Just a bunch of stupid mistakes – as you said – and some background. No real progress in the overall story. Last night’s stupidity that resulted in the kidnapping was just … lame.

28. Pat says:

I really enjoyed the show last night. Especially when Oliver turned to Felicity to inform her that he invited her new friend to the reception but also mentioned to her that he will be carded when he goes to get a drink. That was great considering that he really does look underage and as for him going to play the part of Flash, well not sure how that is going to work out. I guess I will have to wait and see, but his appearance of looking so young well that seems to be my problem.

29. Lilly says:

Question: (I’m probably going to get flack for this, but…) Why are they “sexing-up” Felicity so much, and so fast? She’s a beautiful girl, but she’s supposed to be kinda geeky and maybe a bit bashful. So why does she wear a red dress in the middle of the day on this ep that you can’t help but STARE at her chest? And she walks around the office in stilts that would make ANY normal girl (especially a geek) who isn’t used to marching down a runway break her ankle!
    Seriously? You think a ponytail and glasses is all the “geek” you can give her? Why bother with that? Just let her put her hair down and compete outright with Isabel for Oliver’s affection!

• Lilly says:

Oh, I forgot to mention I do LOVE Felicity and do not want her to leave the show for Flash!

• Connie says:

I agree! Back when she was an I.T. girl, she dressed much…more. I’m not trying to shame her character’s dress or anything, but damn. Literally ever since she got promoted to series regular out of the show and became Oliver’s assistant in the show, she dressed completely different.

30. sowhatwhocares says:

He’s a good actor but I can’t get past that head.

31. Maryanne says:

What’s up to all, the contents present at this web page are in
    fact awesome for people knowledge, well, keep up the nice work fellows.