Once Upon a Time Casting Mystery: Lost's Rebecca Mader to Play Which Iconic Villainess?

Once Upon a Time Cast Rebecca MaderSomeone wicked this way comes….

On the heels of filling the role of Rapunzel, ABC’s Once Upon a Time has cast Lost alum Rebecca Mader as an iconic fairy tale villain, E! Online reports.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Spoilers — Where Will Upcoming Episodes Take Place?

In teasing this fall’s final episodes and the second half of Season 3, Once cocreator Eddy Kitsis told TVLine that the show’s springtime arc will feature “a new villain that we are very excited about, that we may reveal at the end of Episode 11… maybe not.”

And though I thought Kitsis was being cheeky/dodgy with that timeframe for the intro, it turns out that Mader’s meanie will be revealed during a midseason promo airing after the Dec. 15 fall finale.

Still, no details on who the British headturner is playing are being divulged. But that’s what Al Gore made comments sections for. So grab your tinfoil sorcerer’s apprentice hat and speculate!

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Preview: Will a ‘Bomb Under the Table’ Blow Up the Storybrooke Reunions?

In addition to her run as Lost’s nosebleed-prone Charlotte, Mader’s TV credits include Fringe, No Ordinary Family and an equally mysterious role on the upcoming final season of Warehouse 13.

1. courts says:

Hopefully none of those options. The show needs a big bad who isn’t related to a main character and who actually is a formidable enemy. After how disappointing Peter Pan ended up being (lots of talk about how people should be scared of him, very little in terms of being shown reasons why), the show needs a really big, uniting villain. In the vein of Mayor Wilkins or Glory.

2. Ian says:

Could somehow be Ursula.

• Steven says:

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that if they ever physically have Ursula, she’s Yvette Nicole Brown. Not another voiceover, just Yvette Nicole Brown.

• Sonia says:

Actually, I don’t think thats going to happen :(
        Yvette Nicole Brown is considered “Goldie Locks” of Goldie Locks and the three bears. She did a little stint on the Blu Ray release of one of the bonus features where the recreated Good Morning America as Good Morning Storybrooke and Yvette Nicole Brown hosted the show as “Goldie Locksley”. You can find it on youtube.

• Stormy says:

How about Grendel’s mother the Water Witch from Beowulf?

3. Dan says:

It’s good to see OUAT adding some new villains to its rogues gallery. I’m tired of every single fairytale villain that we know turning out to be either Regina or Rumple.

I really like the show but it’s not doing it for me so far this season…I hate that they turned Peter Pan into a villain. And why, so they could rationalize Captain Hook as the “misunderstood” good guy? What’s next, are they going to portray Dorothy Gale as a mean, conniving little girl and the Wicked Witch as one of her innocent victims?

• Miss VCI says:

Have you ever seen “Wicked”, the “wicked witch’s” side of the story which shows her to actually be nice and not a villain.

and dorothy did kill the witch’s sister, even if it was by accident.

• Soopah Soopah Soopah says:

Yea, Dan just essentially described the plot of Wicked.

• Haha, truth. I thought the reimaging was actually the smartest thing about this season and the most clever thing theyv done since the Mad Hatter, even if the spin-off didnt work as well. Personally, I stopped watching but I agree the villian being Regina always is getting annoying and kind of counter productive, Regina hasnt done enough evil things lately to still be a villian and it conflicts constantly with them actively trying to plan her redemption. Let her redeem herselff, it’s kinda the point of the original storyline, something they should retire and move on. I was gonna say Maleficient but I realized they already did her, though they kinda wasted her by throwing her away to fast but I would love to see her play Cruella. As she’s kinda one of the only propertys Disney owns that they havent yet wasted for a woman. Especially since they kinda already One-and Doned Ursula. But Id like for them to suprise me with someone outside of Disney’s arsenal and go classic fairytale again.

• James says:

I’d love to see Wizard of Oz already! And Ursula, too. But yes, I do think they need a scary villian this time. One that likes being evil just because it’s fun, not because he/she has childhood traumas.

• Mike says:

Watch Wicked.. Just saying.

4. Ashbash says:

I hope she’s cruella de ville. Jiminey(?) Cricket mentioned pongo last week. And I can see her as a crazed young fashion designer. The producers did mention earlier this year that we would finally meet cruella de ville and I don’t want her to be another one of Regina’s many versions

• Geo says:

Me too. Mader would make a fun Cruella! And I’d like a funny/scary/rich/arrogant character that neither Regina nor Rumpel could control.

• Wouldn’t it be.. such a twist, if Cruella was somehow related to Henry, (of course) but more on the side of related to Rumple more or less. I think, Cruella could be Sultan’s Mother. His first student, (before he met Cora) yet she was Rumple’s adoptive daughter, traumatized b/c she found out Rumple had disappeared from SB. From the looks of the pics BexMader is with BevElliot – I’m thinking there could be a storyline there. If you remember, Cruella was Anita’s best friend and Anita just so happens to be Granny’s late-daughter and Ruby’s Mother.. but more of the twist could be in reverse. Cruella/Anita weren’t friends, at all, but it was Cruella/Nanny. MY FAN-FICTION: b/c in Once’s version of Cruella DeVil. (read on…)

Granny could’ve have been Cruella’s Nanny at a young age, when she was a little girl. After all, Cruella’s Mother; Dementia DeVil (or Malevola) had never cared for her, b/c she spent so much time off on her killing sprees, hunting human-wolf hunters down on a full moon than to spend time with her own daughter, who she never wanted to train to kill, b/c she wasn’t older/activated yet.. as there were similar stories about her Mother, etc.. in the 101 Dalmatian TV Animated Series. Sooner or later, Cruella was alone on every Wolfstime (or every year on her birthday after she turned 18, would be more fitting) and she wished to be normal, so she could get away from her Mother, once and for all. But before that happened, instead, something bad happens to her, on the same night Nanny was watching Cruella when her father/brothers were killed by The Wolf that had marked Nanny with the Curse of The Moon. Years later, Cruella/Nanny grew estranged, b/c it turned out that night, Nanny was marked, by Cruella’s Mother; with the Wolf Curse, just to prove her point.

Since then, Nanny never forgave Cruella for what had happened to her, their friendship had ended, when Anita was born. Anita’s older sister Perdita, however… (OMG #Perdygo, anyone?!) was taken from Nanny, that night. Nanny knew it was Cruella’s Mother, once again.. b/c she could only have one child, not both. After all, she did own Nanny. More years went by, and Cruella hadn’t aged that much, except for the usual black/white hairstyle that mimicked her Mother’s Fashionable Style. So, by this time, Cruella had ran, far, far away from home. Anita had just met Roger, and Red/Ruby was born. Nanny knew something was wrong with Little Red. She had feared that her granddaughter had gotten the family curse as a Werewolf. After searching far and wide to find something that could hide Red’s Wolf side after she first turned when she was 13. Out of nowhere, Nanny finds her way back into the life of her past when she runs into Cruella, once again – after 20 years had passed. Nanny heard that she ran away from her Mother and she couldn’t find her, EVER! and still punished Nanny for being her former-friend. They talk for a while, and she sees that Nanny has become a Granny.

After back and forth and to and fro, Cruella mentions something about Little Red’s first turn. Granny doesn’t want to listen to the sound of her wretched voice, though Cruella apologies for her Mother’s Behavior towards her family, etc. Cruella tells Granny that Perdita is still alive and well, Dementia let her go, not long after she dog-napped Anita from her, that’s how she met Roger. Right after Granny took Red from them. Cruella goes on saying, she’s sorry for everything her Mother had done to her and that she could help Red’s problem. She had met a Wizard, who had saved her from an unfortunate event that occurred on one of full moons, a few years ago. Who had taken care of her, keeping her hidden from The Outside World and in return he would teach her magic. Now, he owed her a favor, but there was always a price with him. (Anyone know where I’m going with this?!) :P If, Cruella could get the one thing that could help Little Red hide her true form, the curse her Mother had put on her oldest friend’s family; she hoped Granny would, then forgive her. Of course, it would cost Granny an arm and a leg. But, since it was her Mother’s fault Granny was in the position she had been since they were children. She owed Granny, so many favors. So, this was the least, she could do to restart their friendship, once again, free of charge.

Three Nights Later, Cruella arrives with an Enchanted Red Hood that was spelled to Little Red after Granny gave a strand of her hair, to this would be the only thing that would make her wolf-side dormant n a full moon, so, as long as Red wore it on every full moon. She wouldn’t turn into a Little Bad Wolf. Moments after, Granny left Cruella saying, TY. and after the mention of her Mother once more, Cruella replies with, “Don’t worry, Nanny. My Mother won’t hurt you, anymore. She’s been taken care of… but, I’m sure we’ll see each other again.” Soon, that, same Wizard appears out of nowhere and says, “Why didn’t you tell her the truth about your Mother?!” — “She doesn’t need to know the whole truth, Old Man. Only the facts. Makes it more fun, that way.. I win.” — “So, why am I here, I gave you what you wanted, dearie?! But, there is something else, you want from me, isn’t there?!” — “Yes, and if I want your opinion. I’ll ask for it…” — “Well, spit it out. I don’t have all day.” — “(laughs) Wow, you’re like a ticking time bomb that just won’t settle down… I would rather have her hate me, than to forgive me for all these years. All she needs to know is, Mother aint around to hurt her, alright?! So what I want from you is… to leave me the hell alone. You and I, we’re done here. You saved my life, I owed you favor and I paid it.. now, sod off!” — “There was no such agreement, you said for it to be, free of charge b/c it was dearly-beloved oldest former-best friend. I’m not always so generous.” — “Well, Tick Tock goes This Beastly clock. Fine. Give me my son.. tell me where he is.. Please.” — “And what do I get in return?” — “You’ll never see me again. You have my word on that. Tell me where he is, right now! Dark One.”

“Your Son is in the last place, you’d never thought to look. A place where all you see is Spots everywhere, like the color of your head.. Time will tell, b/c you will need me again.” — “Always so cryptic with you, isn’t it?! Always full of surprises.” — Cruella leaves Rumplestiltskin, until he stops her… “Did I ever tell what a lovely that was, Sultan. He’s such a bad dog, just like his Mother. If, only your best friend knew the truth that you changed sides. But, I could’ve sworn, Sultan had another name. His real name, remind me what it is again.” — “Why would I tell you?!” — “b/c dearie, he’ll be such a good witness in this new land, disguised as the dog he will be… in my Curse. A good dog. So why would I tell where he is, where I can just show you, 30 years now.” — “Where is my son, Rumple?!” — “Then, tell me his real name, Eleanor?” — and in, 3-2-1..(long pause), as they both look at each other. “Pongo. His name is Pongo.”

• Dan says:

I agree! I know they need to give their main cast members storyline, but it’s getting annoying that nearly every villain or adversary turns out to be Rumple or Regina in one way or another. Rumple’s the beast, the crocodile, made Cinderella who she was instead of fairy godmother. Now Regina posing as Ursula and screwing up Tinkerbell’s life? How small of a town is the Enchanted Forest that not one single character has lived without meeting either one of them lol!

5. bryan bell says:

I say ursula

6. Lysh says:

Logically, probably Gothel because of yesterday’s Rapunzel news. I think she’d make a great Cruella though. I somehow always knew she would turn up in Once someday!

7. Delirious says:

Not sure if the timing is great or horrible, but I thought of the Snow Queen. New “adventure” being, Storybrooke becomes frozen, as does (or did) FTL. Mainly because Maleficent was already played by Kristin Bauer (wonder if she’s coming back to OUAT, not just the spinoff?), and Wonderland already has the Red Queen (please get rid of OUATW, and bring her into OUAT please please please)

Also, wooooo Rebecca Mader!

8. Amanda says:

I too think Cruella. Eddie and Adam did say during NY Comic Con they wanted to add Rapunzel, Tiana, and Cruella soon so now I’m wondering if we are getting all 3 of them with Rapunzel being casted. Cruella would be awesome as it would introduce villains from our world and she could be connected to Chis Gorham’s character as he’s connected to Emma’s past and is supposed to be recurring. She can’t be Ursula though as the real Ursula was voiced by Yvette Nicole Brown so it’s her character. Could work as Mother Gothel too or The Wicked Witch from Oz, though I’d be shocked as Eddie and Adam said we wouldn’t see Oz this season though I guess it still could work too.

9. DG says:

I REALLY hope they get this right. Pan could have been an amazing villain if he wasn’t related to Rumple, that just took the whole fear factor out of it for me. I think he should have just been left as this unknown, powerful figure rather than use a silly plot device to shoehorn him into the family troubles.

10. the girl says:

They’ve said we aren’t traveling to other lands in the back half like we did with Neverland in the first 11, so I doubt that it would have anything to do with Oz. I would LOVE to see the witches of Oz, but I’m skeptical of the idea of them being in Storybrooke all this time or living in the Enchanted Forest.

11. Lauryn E. Nosek says:

I’d like to see them (re)visit some of the Arthurian legend(s) and have her as Morgan Le Fay.

12. Dan says:

Whoever she is she’ll be related to Henry in some convoluted way. Great second cousin twice removed by marriage….

13. Angela from the Marvel comics. Next season, they’ll go to the Marvel Universe.

14. Cruella doesn’t sound like a good choice for a villain, not one that we should take seriously. What’s she gonna do, try to kill Pogo to make coat with his skin?

Hopefully she’ll be someone of weight, someone that will make Regina and Pan look like amateurs. The key here is for things to escalate.

Maybe she’ll come from the same land of literature as Frankenstein. Make her someone with roots in the world of horror, not Disneyfied fairy tales.

• Chris G. says:

I was thinking that about Cruella but they could add a spin to it, like maybe she makes coats out of weird beings and maybe now she wants a coat out of a specific character, like Henry or Regina or kinda like Rumple did with the hair of Snow and Charming, she wants a coat out of the Charmings to have the most powerful clothing (armor) ever made.

15. Maki says:

I don’t know looking at her I think she could be someone related to Malifiecent. But I got a Jane(from Tarzan and Jane) vibe. I don’t even know why but it’s just a thing. I’m not so into the Fairytale land and they covered(yes I know Tarzan isn’t a fairytale per say). But she honestly seem like a Oz witch or maybe they go on with PSYCHO dorothy

16. Heather says:

I’m liking the Morgan Le Fay idea… They had Lancelot in early s2 and they name dropped Camelot a few episodes ago with the whole excalibur thing, so perhaps it could be her! I’d love to see their take on her if they do in fact do it.

17. richard says:

I think it would be more interesting if they once again turned things upside down like they did with Peter Pan. Maybe the new villainess could be…Mary Poppins.

• Pearl says:

I LOVED THAT!!!

• John 1138 says:

She’d have the accent pretty close: so off to a running start. But can she sing?

• Doc says:

Hahaha!,.. I gotta go with this!. What if she’s not supposed to be able to sing, but believes she can!…lol! A Dark Curse throw back who didn’t experience her curse lift when Emma kissed Henry b/c she was being nosey in the library and found her way down below where Maleficent’s curse didn’t lift either. The Evil Mary Poppins… Regina would have written her curse out to be the opposite as well. Unkind, hates kids, can’t sing but tries anyway uncontrollably! lol… Props to richard! =)P

18. Andy says:

With an episode of the second half called “Witch Hunt”, I see her as the White Witch from Narnia.

19. eddie g says:

She is clearly Merida gone bad and rogue.

20. Allie says:

Its gotta be a wicked witch of Oz. They’ve been hinting at Oz ALL season. Seriously, go back and watch. SO MANY references.

21. JC says:

I have no idea, but I’m intrigued. I agree with other posters that it would be nice to have a Big Bad that isn’t Rumple or Regina or related to them. I still wish they hadn’t done such a terrible job with Maleficent, because she could’ve been great.

• gdv says:

I love Kristin Bauer Van Straten! I just wish she had been given a good long arc instead of being in like 1 episode (and I think maybe a vo in another ep).

I assume they’ll be revisiting the Sleepy Beauty storyline eventually. Maybe Mader’s playing the younger version of Maleficient, when she went after Aurora’s mother?

She would also make a good Snow Queen or White Witch from Narnia though. I can also see Cruella, but as another poster said I don’t see Cruella as being a very powerful adversary.

• abz says:

I love KBVS too, but I don’t even think a longer arc could’ve helped. She just wasn’t right for the role IMO
        And oh I love the White Witch idea. Narnia would be great to see on OUAT

• person says:

I actually love Kristin as Maleficent and hope she comes back ASAP. Just dump her ashes into the Wishing Well and poof. But now that you mention it, what if Rebecca Mader is Aurora’s mother? We have little backstory from Aurora, so her mother could be an arch-villain rival to Maleficent and Regina.

• abz says:

I agree, it makes me sad what to see how OUAT ruined Maleficent. She could’ve been an extaordinary villain on the show.

• JC says:

I agree. To be honest, I have been completely disappointed in what they’ve done with Sleeping Beauty from beginning to end, and the casting has been part of that. I am not a fan of Sarah Bolger as Aurora, and I have not been overly impressed with Phillip what little we’ve seen of him. I know not every couple could get the Snow/Charming treatment but still. I was hoping for so much more from the Sleeping Beauty storyline and the show has completely failed to deliver on any level. :(

22. abz says:

I really hope OUAT stays as far away from the Wizard of Oz as possible. It’s been done to death and I have no interest in seeing OUAT’s take on it when are SOOOOOOOOOOOO many more stories and characters to tackle.
    Please let it be Cruella. I’m so excited for this NEW villain even though we don’t even know who she is yet.
    And I agree with other posters. Please have her have NO RELATION to Regina or Rumple!!

23. Joanne says:

there isn’t many female villains left really based on Disney stories.
    Lady Tremaine Cinderella
    Madam Mim The Sword in the Stone
    Madame Medusa The Rescuers
    Yzma The Emperors New Groove
    Helga Sinclair Atlantis

24. Dan says:

What about someone like Medusa? Do you think they would ever venture into Greek mythology, like they’ve dabbled in Arthurian legend? Disney has done Hercules before…

25. Kellie says:

I bet its something to do with the Wizard of Oz. An episode of the second half is called Witch Hunt, and they already aluded to the fact we will be visting Oz at some point.

26. Sam Garcia says:

Merida always seemed like an evil psycho to me

27. Tatiana says:

Guys. It’s Medusa.

28. Mckenzey says:

I think it’s Cruella DeVille

29. Hazel says:

She’s Medusa! Just saw the promo while watching Once upon a Time in Wonderland!

30. Maki says:

Considering your article about a member of the Charming family tree getting to appear I assume she will be Regina’s grandmother or Rumple’s Mom. But which fairy character will she be no clue, maybe she is Queen Guinevere .

31. Theres the Snow queen from Hans Christian Anderson’s story of the same name. Baba Yaga from Russian Folklore. If they are going with Greek Mythology, there is always Circe.

They could also portray a good character as evil, like Snow White’s sister, Rose Red.