Exclusive

Once Upon a Time Exclusive: Find Out Who Will Let Down Her Hair as Rapunzel

Once Upon a Time Cast Rapunzel Alexandra MetzThings will get a bit hairy on Once Upon a Time when the ABC drama introduces its take on Rapunzel.

And filling the iconic role, TVLine has learned exclusively, will be ill-fated Originals witch Alexandra Metz.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Spoilers — Where Will Upcoming Episodes Take Place?

Metz will make her debut in the 14th episode of Season 3 — aka soon into the second half, which premieres March 9 — and though nothing at this time is confirmed, there is always the option for additional future appearances.

News of Rapunzel’s arrival was first teased in my Inside Line column; props to commenter Nichole for correctly guessing the role being cast. She wins 250 TVLine Power User Points, which have no cash value.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Preview: Will a ‘Bomb Under the Table’ Blow Up the Storybrooke Reunions?

In addition to her short arc as The Originals‘ Katie, Metz’s TV credits include Chicago Fire and episodes of The Good Wife and Gossip Girl.

Once airs Sundays at 8/7c, with its fall finale scheduled for Dec. 15.

1. Maki says:

hmmm Interesting choice. Let’ s see how they intend to use the Rapunzel story?

2. She doesn’t look blonde to me.

• Jerry says:

Polite way to say what we are all thinking!

I have nothing against the actress (I haven’t seen her in anything), and she looks gorgeous in that photo up top.

But I can’t help to feel that this choice was made solely to get people talking and in turn tune in.

• Kelly says:

It’s better if you ask me, finally an unique take. I was hoping they’d bring someone of color, so cool! I love Rapunzel.

• Eli says:

Funny, I’m betting if they made Jasmine white as “a unique take” you wouldn’t be so happy about it.

• MistyDay says:

Jesus Christ how can you be such a goddamn idiot? You seriously can’t see the difference between turning one of the 300 white characters black and turning the ONLY black character white? This level of stupidity is beyond jarring. F–king hell.

@MistyDay
            “White” princesses: Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Rapunzel and Merida – 7 total
            “Non-White” Princesses: Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, Tiana – 4 total
            Simple math gives us 64% of Disney princesses are “white”.
            One look at United States demographics tells us somewhere between 65 and 70% of Americans are “white”.
            Just because you shout racism and unfairness doesn’t mean it’s actually there.

• Andrea says:

@Eli
            “Non-white” is not a race. Your list should look more like this:
            White: Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Rapunzel and Merida plus Anna and Elsa from the new movie Frozen (so 11 total)
            Black: Tiana (1 total)
            Native American: Pocahontas (1 total)
            Chinese: Mulan (1 total)
            Arab: Jasmine (1 total)

That’s more like 73% white and < 7% for each of the other races that has been represented. And Disney doesn't exclusively distribute movies to Americans; these films are shown all over the world. What's the problem with asking for a variety of groups of people to be represented in these stories?

@Andrea
            Frozen literally came out this week, forgive me for not adding them to the list…
            Disney is an American company and domestic sales make up for roughly 50% of total gross for most movies nowadays, that makes the American people still single biggest market for them. But frankly that doesn’t even matter, Disney has about as much responsibility to show the world “diversity” as Bollywood does, which is ZERO responsiblity.
            Should Hong Kong “kung fu movies” now feature equal representation of all the races in the world since the whole world watches them? If Disney wants to make a movie that caters to a specific country/culture/part of the world, like China for example, they will do so if they think it’s profitable, not because they have to make complainers all over the world happy.
            If China wants animated movies with chinese characters they have their own studios to make those. Hell, Japan is famous for it.
            As for meeting American representation, 5% of Americans is Asian American, that would mean they are over-represented for now. Less than 1% is native american. Admittedly, over 12% is black/african-american, so they are due some more representation, so lets look forward to that shall we?
            However, none of the above is really relevant. I don’t actually think a company is required to offer exact representation of the demographics of it’s customer base. That was never my point. I just wanted to showcase the utter nonsense of MistyDay’s comment.

• Skand says:

Jasmine was Chinese in her original story (her name was “Badroulbadour”, though). Disney changed her to being middle eastern. nobody complained. nobody even remembers that she was Chinese in the original story.

• Skand says:

She’s also often played by a white woman at Disneyland. Both face character and on stage.

• Peevesie says:

guys bollywood isn’t the term. Indian cinema shows enough diversity to take on the world… all communities in India are well represented and made fun of. We even have whites, blacks, chinese, africans and stuff. So yeah.

Also I would love an Indian character on OuaT but that isn’t the point. Its not just changing the colour of a character or the gender. When you do that their origins and characteristics change. Which may or may not be conducive to the story telling. They are making an effort to do things differently anyway so appreciate that instead of saying there are no blacks

I think Grey’s anatomy and Sleepy hollow are the only things that give two hoots about the characters race and their fans are the same

• ana says:

jeez, wow, and omg. You’re an idiot.

• T says:

Better? You are aware the most iconic thing about Rapunzel is her GOLDEN hair right? Just how Snow White is know for her black hair, fair skin, and red lips. And that’s not Disney that’s from the real stories.

• CJames says:

I would say the iconic thing was her “long” hair. The Grimm version of the story, the original source material for Disney, described her hair as “splendid long hair, fine as spun gold” – so fine textured and long, but not any specific color. A later version mentions braids, but again, no hair color, and no description of Rapunzel beyond “beautiful.” I don’t think anyone who looks into it can really argue that Rapunzel must be blonde because she always/originally was. Of course, there are countless versions of all these stories. People have always taken liberties and been creative with fairy tales, that’s part of why they continue to feel relevant and relatable over centuries.

• Allergic to Ignorance says:

Does it matter? That is their take on the character. We all know that the Disney character id white. Closet Racist on this site. Just don’t watch the show.

• Beau Howard says:

Why should there be anyone “of color” in WHITE PEOPLE’S STORIES?

• miles says:

I love you for saying this!

• kerri says:

Yes bc any chance to cast a woman of color for a role meant for a white woman is means of stirring controversy right?

• Kelly says:

I don’t see how Rapunzel was ‘meant for a white woman’ though? That was just the Disney cartoon, and to be honest it’s not ANY chance at all. How many characters of color do the show even has? One…two? In a cast of tons and tons actors, it’s about time we have another black woman.

• It’s not just the cartoon though. IN the actual story in order to get Rapunzel’s hair down the witch and the prince both have to say, “Rapunzel, Rapunzel let down your hair so I can climb the GOLDEN stair.” which was their way of indicating that she was blond.

• Tenney says:

I think Katie is right, it’s not just Disney that decided her hair was blonde. I keep reading comments on here how Disney made her hair blonde and why should OUAT have to follow that, but Ummm… I believe in the original story of Rapunzel by the Brothers Grimm, her hair was described as “golden”. So the golden hair was not just automatically created by Disney, but was in the original story. I am not saying that OUAT can’t have some creative license and make her hair whatever color they want to, but it’s not Disney that made her blonde, it was in the original story by the Brothers Grimm.

• Mika02 says:

You do realize they could have just cast Tiana and been done with if they really wanted to go with a black princess. I’m pretty sure the fact that she is beautiful, has been part of shows within this type of genre and can act may have had something to do with it. But yeah everything is to make a statement sorry I didn’t realize.

• Mellie says:

“Only characters who were made to be black can be black! Everyone else must be white! No interpretation! That’s not allowed!”

This is why we have yet another adaptation of Romeo & Juliet and it’s just white folks doing the same tired crap we’ve seen a million times without taking any risks or creative chances.

• Laura Aliaga says:

A- that’s a two-way street: if a black (or minority) literary character were cast as white, people would collectively lose their minds. B- there is a wonderful adaptation on-stage of Romeo and Juliet right now starring Orlando Bloom and Condola Rashad, Phylicia Rashad’s lovely daughter. There is nothing wrong with interpretation, but you will notice on OUAT they have toed the line with every other major female literary character (Belle, Snow, Aurora, Ariel, Evil Queen, Red, Cinderella, Wendy, Tink, etc). Frankly, I’m more offended that they’re trying to have a token black character just for the sake of it than sticking to original lore.

• Cass says:

Here’s a nutty thought: let’s wait until we see her onscreen before proclaiming her “a token black character.”

• Aeol says:

The latest production of Romeo and Juliet features white Romeo/black Juliet.

• CBWBDK1 says:

That quote is spot on. I’m so sick of people turning white characters into black characters. It’s ridiculous! Rapunzel is a white female character so she should be played by a white actress. It’s that simple. Black characters should be played by black actors or actresses. It’s that simple. No need to turn all the white characters into black characters. Are the white characters not good enough anymore? That’s racist. I’m so sick of this crap!

• will says:

The reason it isn’t a two-way street is because white actors and actresses are vastly over-represented in media (and this is coming from a white male actor). Casting a traditionally minority character as white widens the already too-wide disparity and removes the minority character’s racial representation. Casting a character who is traditionally a member of a majority class as a minority does not create a disparity but instead helps to close it, and thus doesn’t come with the same problem of removing racial identities when there are already disproportionately less of them to begin with.

• Cali310 says:

@ Will. You’re spot on. People sometimes cry reverse racism when they fail to understand that the majority and the minorities(the marginalized) are not in equal positions or have equal representation to begin with, therefore it does not have the same effect.

• Lauren says:

I’m not thinking like a racist….

• Cass says:

Well they need to do something to get people talking and to tune in.

• jen says:

I don’t know about that, from the staggeringly racist tweets that are already flying around about it. Its so funny how when a white person gets a role for a POC character, like Benedict Cumberbatch in Star Trek, everyone starts scrambling desperately to defend. Practically the first thing out of people’s mouths is ‘OMG maybe he was just the best person for the part OK’ its like, standard racistplaining. But when a POC gets a role that is usually ‘white’ and people on twitter start breaking out the ‘n’ word, nobody ever DREAMS of saying that maybe she was just a really good actress.
        Because of course we all know nobody would consider a girl like THAT on pure talent, right? But we also know there is no racism in Hollywood how dare you even say that. In fact, there’s not even any on this comment thread, racism is dead lol

• Emilie de Ravin was not brunette either…

• Lucy says:

But do you normally see black woman with blonde hair? I don’t know, just seems a little unnatural if they decided to dye her hair blonde or give her a wig. Although I do think it’s a cool twist. I mean, she’s the complete opposite of what we think of when someone mentions Rapunzel.

• dude says:

The one sticking point is that black women generally can’t grow their hair very long naturally so I guess this Rapunzel has one hell of a weave. Then again, this is a show about a magical world of fairytale characters so this isn’t the most unbelievable thing they’ve ever done.

• Lucy says:

As a black woman whose hair has grown fuller and longer in the last year, thanks to “going natural,” than in my entire life, I have to disagree with this comment. But I also am curious as to how this twist is going to play out. I’ve seen cartoons and other things in which Rapunzel’s hair was not blond (one in particular comes to mind in which her hair was flaming red), so I don’t think it’ll be as far out there to me as to some.

• infinite94 says:

Have you ever googled images of black women with long natural hair? There are millions upon millions of images of it (especially because shrinkage causes the hair to look short when in actuality if you pull on a coil it’s bound to go down to their waists in some cases) so this generalization that black women cannot grow long hair is gross. Like Rapunzel actually had hair that went out of window ??? Actually leave.

• crysania4 says:

Besides the fact that plenty of black women have very long hair…No woman can grow their hair as long as Rapunzel’s was supposed to be. It’s a fairytale. All hair, black, brown, blond, red, or whatever, has a terminal length and for most of us it’s not even to our feet. I grew my hair until it hit its terminal length (no new growth in over a year) and it was about to my tailbone.

• Aeol says:

OMG, just shut up.

• Cali310 says:

@dude. This is an false assumption. Where most other people’s hair grows straight and downward. African hair grows in a coil, like a slinky, and grows upward. I’m a black woman with natural hair, and in it’s coil state it goes to my chin, but when straightened it goes down my back.

This may not be obvious to you because many black women choose to wear weaves, or use relaxers to avoid the hassle of managing tight coily hair. These methods may cause hair breakage/ scalp damage depending on the person taking care of it.

Team natural, team weave, team relaxer, it doesn’t matter, it’s a personal choice.

That’s why our hair appears to “not grow”, but our hair grows like everyone elses.

• infinite94 says:

Google Melanesians and you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Lauren says:

Google Melanesian Islanders. Also, you,re willing to believe a show where fairytale characters like Snow white are real, but its OH SO HARD to imagine a black person as one of said characters? I see you, racist.

• Eli says:

Stop throwing that word around like it has no meaning. You’re just making yourself look like a dumbass.

• Mellie says:

Totally right, Lauren. It’s a FANTASY show. Absolutely EVERYTHING is possible, and if you can accept magic but can’t accept this casting? There’s something wrong with you, not the casting choice.

• Steph says:

No actual argumentative response, but you insist that I’M the dumb ass? I will maintain my original response: “I see you, racist.”

Mellie, you see through these racist assholes and get what I’m saying <3

• Francine says:

How many screen names do you have? They were replying to Lauren and now you’re answering as Steph… Come on now. One is enough to get the point across that you want to make.

• Steph says:

lmao I have two screen names Francine! Do you want to answer my question? Or are you still lacking in the argumentative department to answer? Take your time, both my screen names are waiting for your response!

• Francine says:

I have no idea who the heck you are, and you weren’t asking me any question since I was not having any discussion with you. I’m just reading the comments and I find it very bizarre when someone switches back and forth with screen names. I’m honestly asking why anyone would make a conscious decision to do that within the same post? Normally that is done to troll an article, or to make it look like another poster is agreeing with your comment. TVLine doesn’t like when people do that and for good reason. But continue with your dual personalities if you wish, it’s not my business. Have a wonderful night Lauren/Steph!

• Steph says:

It wasn’t conscious, Francine; I went from my computer to my tablet, not realizing that I had different names registered for each of them. Hope that clears things up!

• Cali310 says:

Lol…~Steph ~Francine, you guys are funny

• Jillian says:

One word: Beyonce.

She regularly rocks a blonde/light brown hair color and she looks good doing so

• Summer says:

Wwll, there is a Beyonce….

• Mikael says:

Beyonce has blonde hair. Not that it’s her natural color, but it looks good on her.

• marissa says:

Beyonce has blonde hair.

• Lynn says:

This is the same show where Mulan’s in love with Sleeping Beauty (and hopefully she will feel the same soon). I like their takes on fairy tales and I’m excited to see where this goes.

• Paul says:

Agreed. I like the new twists and different takes OUAT uses on old fairytales.

• Sarah says:

Mulan is in love with Phillip.. :p (Sleeping Beauty’s guy)

• Lynn says:

No, she isn’t.

• rannie says:

Uh what? She wanted to tell Aurora she loved her, in one of the last episodes, maybe you missed it hah.

• Lauren says:

Do you not watch the show? Milan was going to confess her love for Aurora.

• JC says:

The producers may be going for a Mulan/Aurora angle NOW, but the Mulan/Phillip thing isn’t being pulled out of thin air. If you’ll look up a TVGuide interview titled “Once Upon a Time Postmortem: Where are Emma and Snow, Really?” (Sept 30, 2012) you’ll find this quote – When Phillip says “I love you,” it was ambiguous as to whether he was speaking to Mulan or Aurora.
            Horowitz: That was purposefully ambiguous. If you ask Mulan and you ask Aurora, you might get different answers.
            Kitsis: There’s definitely a story there, but it looked to me as if he was saying it to both of them.

That’s not your typical love triangle!
            Kitsis: I mean, it’s your classic case of two women loving a man who was sucked into a Wraith! [Laughs] What I love most about it is it’s really not a love triangle. It started with Mulan on a quest to help Phillip wake up his true love, so she walked into it already saying, “I love this man; I want him to be happy.” That’s why she says in the premiere, “Love is a sacrifice of your own happiness.”

• Steph says:

JC, you realize that that interview was from over a year ago? And when Aurora offered to fetch Phillip, Mulan insisted that is was not necessary? You should probably watch that scene a couple more times if you want to fully understand what’s going on….

• JC says:

I understood what was going on just fine thank you, which is why I mentioned the producers going for a Mulan/Aurora angle NOW (or did you miss that part?). But ever since that episode aired, people have been acting like this has been some long term plan by the writers and that the Phillip/Mulan angle is a figment of people’s imagination. I’m just pointing out that’s not the case. Mulan being in love with Phillip was clearly the original plan – Mulan being in love with Aurora is recent (despite what the shippers may have read into their scenes).

• JM says:

Thank you, JC, for pointing out that Mulan was ORIGINALLY in love with Phillip. When she almost declared her love for Aurora, I was taken aback, remembering her initial love for Phillip. To me, this just came outta left field. Like one day, the producers said ‘Oh no, we don’t have a gay character. We have to represent. Let’s just make Mulan gay overnight.’ What???

Why not simply introduce a NEW character who openly declares they are gay, instead of rewriting history? Tink, for example, could have been gay.

• Lauren says:

Because she might have had immeditely had feelings for Phillip, you’re writing off her feelings for Aurora? By rejecting Aurora’s offer to bring Phillip into the mix, I think it’s fairly obvious that it was not to him she was confessing her feelings. Time had passed since the beginning of Season 2 and the middle of it. Feelings changed; clearly Milan’s had.

• JC says:

Who’s writing off her feelings? It was clear what the scene meant. All we’re saying is that the decision to go that way was clearly a recent choice by the writers and not part of some long term plan.

• Katherine says:

Milan started off in love with Phillip and was annoyed by Aurora. After spending time with her, she fell in love with her. There were enough clues to catch it if you were paying attention. We’ve no way of knowing if that was the writers’ plan all along, or a change they made later. I don’t see how it matters, tbh. Mulan is in love with Aurora now

• Steph says:

How is it “clear” that her feelings for Aurora were a recent development? Were you in correspondence with the writers, JC?

• JC says:

Ha, funny. No, but it’s a matter of logic. The last episode of season two that Mulan and Aurora appeared in together, up until their brief scene at the end of the finale, was episode nine, which aired in December. At the time the writers gave this interview (late Sept), most of those first nine episodes would have already been written or at least plotted out, if not filmed. The logical assumption is then that for that nine episode arc, the writers were in the headspace of having Mulan and Aurora both in love with Phillip, not in love with each other. (Also, as a side note, I don’t have the reference, but my understanding is that we were originally supposed to get a lot more of Phillip, Mulan, and Aurora in the second half of the season, but the writers switched tracks to build up the whole Neverland thing, and so whatever was planned for that trio we never ended up seeing on screen. )

• Steph says:

Logically assuming, Adam and Eddy knew that their fanbase were desiring a LGBTQ character after the demand of the Swan Queen fanbase, at SDCC, Adam and Eddy stated: “there will be a gay character at one point. But we want to do it right and because we respect love and we believe in it, it’s not because we’re checking off a box. We respect love and we want to do it justice.” (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/20/wonderland-comic-con-once-upon-a-time_n_3628801.html )

And considering Season 2 began filming in ealry July, they would have to have had their filming scripts in early. Early July is pretty early. Maybe not “introductory” character eary, but early enough before Seaon 3 started that it became an intentional aspect of filming.

• JC says:

But that was AFTER season two. I’m not denying that it has been intentional for season three, I’m denying that there were any intentional Mulan/Aurora hints in that first nine episode arc in season two. In fact I’d be willing to bet that they didn’t decide on this until they started plotting out season three, which goes along with what you’re saying, because otherwise why bring Phillip back at all? That last scene where he is there on the beach with Neal tells me they didn’t have any idea of Mulan/Aurora at that point, because why bring him back only to kill him off again (and let’s face it, there is no other way to get those two together at this point without destroying both characters). And yes, I’ve always figured this happened as a response to the SwanQueen uproar.

• JC says:

If it’s my use of the word “recent” you’re hung up on, I meant “recent” as in not in season two.

• Steph says:

If before Season 3 was too recent for you, you probably should have clarified that. But Mulan is a bisexual character; because the writers never clarified when she developed feelings, her feelings for Aurora came after the fact. And if she refused Philip’s presence, the implication was that she was going to confess her feelings for Aurora.

• JC says:

I have no idea what your point is. I have said that I don’t deny what that scene meant. And all along I’ve only been trying to make the point that in SEASON TWO, the writers intended Mulan to be in love with Phillip, not Aurora. Therefore intentional Mulan/Aurora is recent, i.e. season three. I’m not sure where the confusion is.

• Cass says:

Mulan was in love (or infatuated) with Philip at the beginning of S2. Kitsowitz were interviewing about the beginning of S2. They weren’t going to tip their hand with “but she totally falls for Aurora as they adventure together!” Philip/Mulan was the starting point; Aurora/Mulan was the developing story that many of us saw last season.

• JC says:

Just because shippers think they saw something doesn’t mean it’s what the writers intended. Lots more people (not including myself) see SwanQueen than see Sleeping Warrior – doesn’t mean the writers have any intentions of anything between Emma and Regina. I think you’re reaching to try to explain away a clear quote stating the writers’ intentions. But believe what you want. I don’t think the writers had any idea of Aurora/Mulan until the SwanQueen shippers started kicking up a fuss and they decided “oh hey we need a gay character. Here’s this other minor character pairing that has a bit of a following – let’s throw them a bone.” Else why bring Phillip back at all and put him and Aurora back together? If they’d been planning this all along, Phillip would have stayed dead/gone instead of going to the bother of killing him off again. Because I can’t hardly believe they intend to go the route of having one of their princesses abandon her happy true-love relationship/marriage for another lover (or that Disney would even allow that). Also, to the best of my recollection, there was no talk at all or even hints at a gay character on the show until this last summer, confirming my belief that this didn’t come up until they started on season three.

• JC says:

Also, people are assuming that just because Mulan is in love with Aurora now, that means they’re going to get together. I don’t think that’s a given. Aurora and Phillip, as poorly developed as they’ve been on the show, is one of Disney’s oldest most longstanding couples and putting Aurora with someone else would be kind of a big deal. Not to say that rules it out, but people shouldn’t jump to the conclusion that Mulan/Aurora is endgame just because of that scene. That scene may have been just to introduce the idea that Mulan liked women, so that the audience wouldn’t be shocked down the road when they introduce a new female love interest for her.

• Louise says:

Seriously?

• even better says:

So, who cares. Finally something different! I’m tired of this show actors’ choices, all vanilla, boring.

• Brooke says:

Oh please.

• dude says:

Rapunzel doesn’t really have a set hair colour. Tangled was one adaptation of the character but she’s not like Ariel or Cinderella or Snow White that already have a very iconic look. They can play around with her more.

• Who says Rapunzel has to be blonde? Rumple isn’t a beast or crocodile, Mulan never fell in love Sleeping Beauty, and Peter Pan wasn’t a villain. It’s OUAT, and the chick has awesome hair. I like it.

• Martoukian says:

Is there some reason she should look blonde?

• Hey! Have you guys ever heard of a wig? It’s not really a big deal if her hair isn’t blond anyway. Belle doesn’t fall in love with Rumplestiltskin in the original story OR Disney movie. They don’t have to follow the exact storyline, let alone the hair colour.

• Carrie says:

lol right because they have followed every other story to the letter, exactly like it was in the Disney movie and the original fairy tale. WTF difference does it make what color her hair is? Isn’t the main point about her hair that she has a lot of it?! JFC the stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me!

• PeterN says:

Silly people. The writers are not following the Disney movies. Belle didn’t have an Australian accent. Captain Hook is missing his silly mustache. Red Riding Hood is sexier than anything Disney produced. As long (no pun intended) as Rapunzel has her long hair and the storyline is good, it’ll be worth watching.

• AJ says:

So? You know the legend of Rapunzel exists in countries where blonde people don’t exist, right?

3. Kristina says:

I’m so excited we’ll get to see Rapunzel!! I hope they dye her hair though.

4. Rob says:

I guessed the character right! I’m extremely excited about this, not only because I’ve been hoping that they’d bring Rapunzel into the Once fold, but I also love the casting. Who’s to say that a fairy tale princess has to be white or look exactly as she did in the Disney film?

• Eli says:

Well let’s see: Ariel does, Snow does, Aurora does, Mulan kinda does, Belle does. She’s the first that doesn’t. Now I don’t personally really care either way, but don’t say factually untrue things just to belittle those who do mind.

• deterpinklage says:

Uh, no Aurora doesn’t, and neither does Snow, for that matter. Or Belle or Maleficent, or the princes, or Hook, and Peter Pan is hella old for a kid who should still be young enough to have his first set of teeth. Your argument is invalid, Eli.

• Eli says:

deterpinklage if you’re looking for that exact a replica nobody will ever look like their animated counterpart. Roughly speaking (hair colour, skin tone, etc) they do look at least similar, unlike this casting for Rapunzel.
          Also if you’re gonna copy something from wikipedia (his first set of teeth), make sure you get it right, since that description comes from the book. The disney version of the character was clearly aged up a bit.

5. Addie says:

I’m glad the show is going for a different choice rather than another blonde actress! Should be interesting, Rapunzel was never one of my favorites so I have no preconceived notions about what the story should be (I also never saw Tangled except for clips).

6. Tori says:

Lol, let the polite racial discomfort begin! I know some people have a problem when stories and characters they grew up with are changed. The fact that we are living in a age of global viewing with more cultural diversity is something OUAT producers are aware of and they are doing what racism prevented people for centuries from doing which is to show their is more then one cultural identity. I applaud their contemporary thinking.

• Eli says:

Yes, movies and tv shows have been around for “centuries”…
      Congratulations on making it through Hyperbole 101.

• will says:

It seems you decided to skip out on Reading Comprehension 101 though, because all Tori said was that racism prevented people from showing more than one cultural identity for centuries. Nothing about movies and tv shows at all, in fact.

7. the girl says:

I am pleasantly surprised and excited about this casting. OUAT has been about evolving fairy tales past conventional mythologies since day one, so I look forward to seeing how they change up the story of Rapunzel. And one bright side to this casting is, she’s probably not related to Henry. (… or IS she???)

8. Rachel says:

People complaining that she’s not blonde. All fairytales have been commercialized by Disney and changed greatly from their roots……why shouldn’t ouat diviate from Disney then? Bravo!

• IMO says:

Well said. Why even watch a new show then, if all you want is merely a boring copy of the Disney stories? Straying from the traditional movies is way cooler in my book. Bravi OUAT.

• Peevesie says:

let them also remember all these characters weren’t american! They were german and nordic when they began… so they are ok with things changing to white but not the other way round

• John 1138 says:

Well in this instance OUAT is deviating from Grimm.

Not that earth shattering both given the shows take on other characters has veered from both Disney and the original and the concept that while the cultural setting for the Grimm tales made a “golden stair” the superior symbolic choice that’s not to say in a different culture, such as our own, that another symbolic choice can’t now made. And, from a structural point of view a stair made out of the very sound wood Ebony would be a far better choice than the way too bendable gold… so the actresses natural hair color is fine.

Frankly what’s probably MORE stereotypic for me is the actress is gorgeous.. one more “pretty face” in a long boring line of em. lol

9. dani says:

Finally something different than the usual white actress who looks exactly like the Disney version. I can’t wait to see her on the show.

10. Ava says:

She was fabulous on TVD.

11. Geo says:

Exactly– if you go to the Disney princess archive, there aren’t any people of color represented until rather recently. And OUAT has already brought in Mulan, Pocahontas isn’t exactly a fairy tale, and the Princess from “The Princess and the Frog” isn’t by any means as well known a fairy tale figure as Rapunzel or Cinderella. The fact that it took Disney until 2009 until they finally had a leading black princess in their big animated films is a pretty shameful part of their history. So good for “Once Upon a Time” with their Rapunzel choice for being more inclusive than their source material.

• Stormy says:

I have no quarrel with this lady as Rapunzel. But, I disagree about Disney being remiss about not having a black princess sooner. Most of the Disney princesses were in stories from Europe written by white authors about white people. When the story called for ethnicity [Esmeralda, Jasmine, Mulan] they complied. There just aren’t many fairy tales or children’s stories about people of color and those that do exist [Uncle Remus, Little Black Sambo] are considered politically incorrect. Perhaps we need someone to write some children’s tales that feature a wider ethnic mix. JMO

• Hannah says:

Um…How about we leave Europe then and explore other culture’s fairy tales then? Every culture has stories. It’s just as easy for Disney to adapt an African or Native American or Latin American or Asian fairy tale as it is to adapt a European one. Also, just because the tale is European doesn’t mean they HAVE to make the characters white. All of movies pretty much take place in non-specific fantasy kingdoms. Cinderella works perfectly the same if you set it in Europe or China or Africa or South America.

• courts says:

Plus the fact that when you research the tales, a lot of them have origins in non-European stories, like Rapunzel, which was basically taken from a 10th century Persian story.

• Stormy says:

Granted, but Persians are white. My theory is that Disney over the decades since the ’30s catered to the dominant demographic with stories they knew. Even though other places have folklore and legends that may be worth exploring, they would not be familiar to Americans. regardless of their ethnicity. And the name of the game is $$$.

• deterpinklage says:

And Cinderella, which iirc came from a Chinese story called Ye Xian.

• Geo says:

But those tales have been written, had Disney ever chosen to use them. For starters, there are all sorts of African folktales and fairy tales going back hundreds of years or more, let alone the rich history of African-American adaptation of such stories, re-imagining, conjuring tales and the like from pre-and post- Civil War America. Uncle Remus and Little Black Sambo were books by white writers (and Disney did adapt at least one of those in a film the studio now perceives as so racist they won’t re-release it even on DVD), but there are all sorts of genuinely African and African-American folk and fairy tales, including those collected by famous African-American authors like Charles Chesnutt and Zora Neale Hurston, that could have been developed into terrific animated works, if Disney had been interested. They just chose to keep going with those European stories you note, until around the time of the Lion King (when the main characters are still animals), not giving us a black princess until about four years ago.

• LaLa says:

BTW, African history is ripe with legends of kings and queens.

• Stormy says:

There is a difference between North African and sub Saharan ethnicities. Egyptian, Algerian etc. would fall into Arab and semitic culture which is vastly different from the rest of the continent especially before European colonization.

• LaLa says:

Oh, my goodness, have you people never seen a book of African or African American folk lore? The statements that you make! No children’s stories about people of color, indeed!

• courts says:

Oh god, that old inaccurate chestnut again.

12. Amanda says:

I’m excited about this and to see their version of “Rapunzel”. I did originally think the casting call was for Tiana as Eddie and Adam said we might see her too this season. However, I thought for sure Emma was Rapunzel. Her storyline fits exactly to how it was protrayed in “Tangled” having the baby taken from her parents and rasied never knowing her true past. Then everything with her and Killian’s relationship being so much like Rapunzel and Flynn’s. The paraelles are just there. But again I’m looking forward to this version and we’ve had other fairytale characters be different races like Lancelot and different genders like Jack and the Beanstalk.

• thalymor says:

I’ve been seeing Princess Bride parallels with Emma and Hook in the last few episodes.

• Tanya says:

“As you wish”… I saw it as well. :)

• Amanda says:

As a Captain Swan shipper I’ve loved those as well as “The Princess Bride” was always one of my fav movies. However the “Tangled” paraelles have been in place since season 1 for Emma. The scene of her reuniting with her parents is identical to Rapunzel reuniting with her’s. When they added Colin in season 2 that when we noticed they were like Rapunzel and Flynn. Then Kilian’s backstory and the way he is is just so simialr to Flynn as well as Westley. He’s a mix of both.

• Lisse says:

lmao. emma’s her own character. personality wise, she’s nothing like rapunzel. smh as captain swan shippers thinking flynn’s like hook (lol no he’s not) and emma’s like rapunzel. stop tainting other stories with your bs thanks. i heard hook was like darcy and i about rolled my eyes out of my head with that.

• Cass says:

I don’t know how many kazillions of times the creators have stated that Emma is not a fairy tale character of any sort. Just because she’s blond doesn’t make her Rapunzel. And for that matter, just because Hook can do the smolder doesn’t make him Flynn. If ANYONE on this show is like Flynn (good-heated thief with a sense of humor operating under a false name) it’s not Hook….

13. Abernathy says:

I like her and it will be interesting, but in defense of the blondness, Rapunzel is a story with european origin… Being historically accurate… It could make more sense for her to be caucasian

• Lauren says:

POC existed in Europe in medieval contexts. They’ve just been erased because of white supremicy historians.

SJW Alert!
        Seriously though, don’t you people ever get tired of spewing all this hate?

• Steph says:

I love how people can say “SJW” and pretend that their racism and prejudice is irrelevant after the fact. Keep going, Eli, I’m not gonna stop you. All you have is you “SJW” and basic bitch comments, which makes you look sad and racist in the long run. No skin off my back, to be honest.

• Eli says:

It’s ok Steph, I still love you despite you being a hateful SJW :)
            Also, I’m a minority therefor I can’t be racist by your definition of the word ;)

• Steph says:

I never defined racism, but thanks for trying to come out of this not looking like an idiot! That takes a lot of bravery on your part!
        I’m only hateful towards racists; I actually adore thoughtful and compassionate human beings. Praying that you develop some critical thinking skills to make you worthy of my approval though! Aim for the stars Eli! <3<3

• courts says:

Rapunzel is a story of Persian origin.

• Stormy says:

Again, Persians are white.

Persians are Iranian…

• Stormy says:

Yes. White/caucasian. Especially 10th century Persians. Freddie Mercury = white. Ahmadiejad = white. Pahlavi [Shah of Iran = white.

• courts says:

Oh dear. Well, Freddie Mercury isn’t even from Iran. He, like his parents, were Parsi and was born in Zanzibar (Tanzania) and grew up there and in India before moving to Britain. So not really a good example of ~whiteness~ in Iran. I wouldn’t call either Ahmadinejad (I assume that’s who you mean) or anyone from the Pahlavi dynasty white, light-skinned POCs perhaps, but not white. I guess we would have to ask them. There may be ‘white’ Iranians but to say that they’re all white, is rather untrue. Plus, I doubt that Rudaba, a princess of Kabul, would be white.

• Skand says:

Not all caucasians =/= white. Persians might be (not all, of course). Indians? No. They’re caucasian, but not white

• Peevesie says:

@skand: Indians can be fair skinned too? have you seen our mountain folk? they are prisitine white in complexion. doesn’t make them any less Indian than me

• Cali310 says:

I think the main issue here is that the definitions of white, or black varies depending on the country or culture. Black and white are vague terms not really describing any real ethnicity. People can keep arguing about it, but you’re going to keep going around in circles.

• courts says:

Um, what? Iranians are white? In this world?

• John 1138 says:

Interesting, any mention of hair color in the original story?

• Skand says:

I kind of don’t understand why people talk so much about accuracy.. why did nobody complain about Disney’s version of “The Frog Prince,” then? It was set in New Orleans and had a black princess. Nobody complained about the setting change.

14. Alice says:

Lol at all the racists in the comments. Oh boohoo they didn’t cast white blonde girl #9475638. Nowhere does it say that Rapunzel is white and even if it did, we don’t need more ways to further white supremacy. Alexandra Metz is gorgeous and she’s gonna kill it.

• Bah says:

Well they should cast a white blonde girl as Jasmine, since they’re being original and different.

• will says:

It’s not the same and you know it. White people are vastly over-represented in all media. whitewashing the few minority characters that do exist would only further that disparity unjustly. This is not something you can say about the reverse situation

• Spiritofchaos says:

Not sure why there’s all this controversy, the girl is gorgeous and has fantastic hair. As far as I can remember there is nothing in the stories that say where she has to come from so what else do they need for Rapunzel? On the other hand, Jasmine is definitely, and geographically, an Arabian princess so would look odd played by a blonde.

15. Lynn says:

Fantastic news. I always love any scoop on OUAT! The original story of Rapunzel and how her parents were stealing from a witch is one of my favorites..and I loved Disney’s take with Tangled too! Can’t wait to see the spin that OUAT puts on it .

16. nate says:

coolio…now who’ll play Cruella

17. Lauren says:

Gorgeous! Great casting! Let’s hope she’s not killed off like Adam and Eddy tend to do with POC.

• unicornwasp says:

yeah, it was like, “oh, cool, Lancelot is African-American!….. Oh, Lancelot is dead.” Annd of course we can’t forget Tamara.

• Lauren says:

lol yeah seriously. I mean, I’m the whitest girl around, but I’m still noticing that PoC don’t have the same lifespan as the white people on this show, and it’s getting quite a problem. Adam and Eddy need to work on NOT killing off PoC.

• Alice says:

Can’t we forget Tamara? Please, can we? Her character was awful. I was pissed about Lancelot. I rejoiced when Tamara died.

18. Mika02 says:

So my first thought is who is going to be her love interest, the prince from Rapunzel or Flynn(Eugene) from Tangled can’t wait to find out.

19. Cass says:

Ha, I called it too! I just hope they let this character live for more than a handful of episodes.

20. Katie says:

Actually, I’d really like to see Rapunzel paired with Mulan. That fairy tale’s prince isn’t as well known as many others (like the prince in Cinderella, Phillip from Sleeping Beauty, the Beast from Beauty and the Beast, or Eric from The Little Mermaid), and I’d hate to see Mulan never find a nice lady. And I mean, I know a lot of people ship Aurora/Mulan, but I really don’t see the show breaking up Aurora and Phillip, especially now that she is pregnant.

• Eli says:

Maybe Philip dies and the kid will end up having 2 moms?

• Alia says:

I think I prefer a polyamorous solution to that particular love triangle, since each character seems to be at least mildly interested in both other characters (except for maybe Phillip, but I’m sure he could be convinced). I doubt Disney/ABC would approve, though.

• JC says:

It depends. If they want to pair Mulan and Aurora, then killing off Phillip is the only way not to compromise the characters’ integrity (and I guess we’re all supposed to ignore the fact that Mulan apparently had intentions of trying to break up her friends’ happy marriage/relationship before she found out about the baby). If, however, that scene was only intended to introduce the idea that, hey, Mulan likes women, then maybe there’ll be another woman introduced for her down the road, and Phillip is safe. I really have no idea where they’re going with this though, or if it will just get dropped like their story did last season.

• Li says:

Breaking up Aurora and Philip doesn’t work because, even though the show has, recently, introduced the idea that you “can” fall in love with more than one person, they also sticked with the idea that there is only “one” true love in that universe. Their conception of true love is the idea of “forever”. In another words, you can “love” more than one person, but the perfect love, the true one only happens “once”. They made it pretty clear with Rumple (Millah, Cora and Belle), and recently, Regina.

In Aurora and Philip’s case, the sleeping curse can only be broken by “true love’s kiss”, and for the kiss to work, they have to be each other’s one true love, or it wouldn’t have worked. So, in order for either one to be with someone else. It can’t be because they stopped loving each other, or the show would be going against each own canon, but rather because they can’t possibly be with one other. The only reasonable option would be killing Philip. That way, Aurora could “move on”, so to speak, with someone else. I do, however think killing a character this way, so that Aurora could be with someone else is in bad taste, but that’s probably only me…

21. Jennifer says:

They really can’t win, can they? Damned if they do, damned if they don’t. I applaud them for thinking beyond stereotypes and challenging preconceived notions. The discussion generated in these comments just shows that we need more forward thinking in the mainstream media. I love this casting and am really excited to see her story!

22. Sarah says:

I love how OUAT changes the way we see familiar characters. I love that the women can be brave, the men vulnerable, and the casting unpredictable. Very excited for this new chapter!

23. Liz says:

Personally I think this is a bit of a miss. If they really wanted to be culturally diverse they could have done some digging and brought to light some African myths or folk tales. Heck, the could have done Aida if they really wanted to. There even could have been an old African legend with enough rapunzal elements that they could have blended them together. Fairy tales cross a lot of similar grounds in different culture. Instead they took a character that since at least the 1880s has been predominantly known as part of Germanic mythology and made her black. Now they get praise for being “contemporary” and “diverse” when there doesn’t seem to be much depth to this decision beyond not wanting another white princess. They had an opportunity to showcase a culture that isn’t really well known and bring it to the mainstream. Instead they took the easy way out, and get applauded for it.

• LaLa says:

I agree on the wealth of stories regarding African kings and queens. I think they are trying to stick with more well known characters, though, and let’s face it, even many African Americans aren’t aware of African folklore and history.

• Liz says:

That’s sort of my point though. It was really an opportunity for them to be different, to showcase something that should get more notice, and all they did was make a white character black. At the very least Aida is pretty well known. And while it’s not a fairy tale, they’ve established that wasn’t how this world works.

• will says:

We should remember they are also remaining relatively within the Disney sphere, which, as we all know, hasn’t historically produced much viable African/African American material.

• the girl says:

They get applauded for taking a step that many other people wouldn’t have taken. It’s a start. It is by no means the alpha and omega. They SHOULD be encouraged to take the next step into investigating fairy tales from diverse cultures, such as African myths and Native American legends, but there is nothing wrong with appreciating what they have done so far.

24. courts says:

Wow, it took almost no time for that to get racist. Not a surprise considering how racist the fandom is but still, disappointing.

• Thomas says:

Yeah, I was thinking it would take at least five or six comments before things would get racist, but I see I was being way too generous.

• Betsy says:

first comment and everything. it’s like the racism jackpot.

• Eli says:

LOL, yes, cause not liking a casting choice = racism….

• Steph says:

Literally, what is there to not like about this casting choice? You didn’t like her in Chicago Fire? Was she bad in the Originals? I thought she was rather good. What else is there to dislike about her BESIDES her skin colour?

• Eli says:

As I’ve mentioned several times elsewhere in this thread, I don’t particularly care either way about this casting. I just strongly disagree with any of this being portrayed as racist.
          It is not racist to dislike the casting of an actress (or actor) for a specific existing character if you feel some aspect of the actress does not match the character.
          Some people didn’t like Peter Pan being an older teenager, does that make them “ageist”? Some didn’t like an aussie girl playing Belle, me included actually, does that make us Australia haters?
          The answer is no and neither is disliking this casting choice.
          Now, if you see someone posting here saying something like “I don’t like this casting choice, black people suck/can’t act/etc”, then you can cry RACIST.

• Tegan says:

Hey what the hell is wrong with an Australian actress playing Belle? Emilie does a fantastic job, and she’s made Belle my favorite character on the show (and the favorite of many others).

Should we not have a Scottish man playing Rumplestiltskin? Not have a New Zealander girl playing Tinkerbell? Why is is that every character should be played by a bland generic American, just because the character had a bland generic American accent in the movie?

And don’t even bother with the “It’s a French fairytale” crap because Ariel does not have a Dutch accent and Snow most certainly doesn’t have a German accent.

• Tegan says:

*Not Dutch, Danish. I apologize for my error there.

• will says:

If you think she should not have been chosen for the role based on her race, when the race of the character is something that is not set in stone, then you are taking a discriminatory stance based on race, which is the very definition of racism.

• Eli says:

Oh Tegan, I apologize, I didn’t like this particular australian girl playing Belle. I’m just really not a fan of Emilie de Ravin, I didn’t like her in Lost and I like her even less now. Just personal preference. :)

• Steph says:

Don’t worry Tegan, Eli is grasping at straws at this point. Expecting him to make any sense is expecting a lot :S

25. Mellie says:

SO EXCITED! When they announced the casting call I totally put money on it being Rapunzel, and it was, and this girl is gorgeous. So pumped!

26. WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for
    Fifa 2014 multi hack

27. Mellie says:

Should have known not to read the comments sections. Racists, racists everywhere.

28. Pat says:

She is a very pretty girl and I think she will be fine as Rapunzel. Her debut is in March, so please tell me that this whole Pan/Henry storyline will right itself and the whole Pan storyline will finally end. I really cannot take having this go on into March.

• Liz says:

This is my last post and I’m bowing out. Rapunzals earliest origins are Persian. There is a lot of similarities and influences between fairy tales. That’s what makes them so awesome really is tracing how early oral stories were spread and eventually written down. My true point in this at some point there attempt at cultural diversity should be more than changing skin color. Maybe the story will reflect that, and I’ll be the first to say I was wrong. My other point is just because people are upset that a well known figures race it doesn’t mean they’re racist. Sure, they could be. But it’s not the only option out there.

• Meg says:

The Neverland/Peter Pan arc, as far as I can remember, was 11 episodes long. So it’ll be done with at the winter finale.

29. Liz says:

Question for everyone crying racist, if they cast a white actress for the part of Tiana would you be upset? After all making her black was the commercialized Disney thing to do. Or maybe they’ll be super creative and make her Hispanic. Look we did the hey lets colorblind cast a fairy tale with Cinderella and it was awesome. No one complained. Simply taking a figure from European mythology and inserting a different nationality in the name of diversity is annoying because it adds nothing new, and it’s lazy.

• kat says:

White washing and under representation is a serious problem in western media. There is no such lack of representation for white people. And honestly, no, I wouldn’t have that much of a problem with Tiana being Hispanic as long as they didn’t just cast a Hispanic actress and still try to call her black thereby implying that all vaguely brown people are the same.

• the girl says:

Tiana has less historical significance, so I care less about what they do with her than I would about a figure from ancient African mythology. Disney created a Black princess instead of using already available folklore, which was lazy. I would feel more territorial over someone like Aida, so I do understand why people feel territorial over Rapunzel, since they have always imagined her with blond hair. But I also recognize that we are talking about a show that has taken the standard fairy tale and turned it on its head time and time again. That is what the show is about and has been about all along, corrupting the traditional.

• courts says:

No, please educate yourself.

• someone says:

Funny how white people get all upset about turning white characters non white but you all say absolutely nothing when non white characters get cast as white (cough benedict cumberbatch in star trek cough)

• Ashbash says:

No I would not be upset because tiana is the frog princess and the frog princess has many interpretations just like rapunzel does. Tiana didn’t have to be black Disney just chose to interpret the frog princess that way. So if once upon a time does the frog princess and the character had the same personality and story as tiana and had a white actress play her I would not be upset. My question for you is other than her skin color if the writers follow rapunzel’s story and the character is well written, then why should it matter if the actress that plays her is black? Why does color matter for a story that’s been around for centuries and has various interpretations around the world. Rapunzel and the frog princess are both fairy tales and can be interpreted however a person envisions

30. kat says:

I was proud of the show for going out of their way to cast a non white actress as a character traditionally portrayed as white. It was a nice change from the white washing that normally happens in western media. Of course then I read the comments and now I kind of hate people. Seriously, get over it. The sad thing is people don’t even realize how racist it is to complain about non white people getting representation.

31. AGDoren says:

For those of ya’ll referring to the Grimm’s Brothers collection in which they made Rapunzel blonde as some sort of proof of race all the fairy tales are considerable older. I mean if we’re going to trying and go with the original stories we should be sure and cast Cinderella as Chinese since the tale originated in China, just sayin’.

• Rebecca74 says:

Exactly… they only care about the “historical basis” of the character when they think it reinforces their desire to see the character as white. Also, I’m here for a Chinese Cinderella.

• Unknown says:

I heard rumors that the original “Cinderella” story sets in Egypt.

32. Sarah says:

Ok. Here’s what I think. Yes OUAT has creative licensing, but I feel like they should just keep the character the same color/nationality as they are in the story. Mulan is Chinese, if they do tiana, she’ll be African. So I think they should have just kept rapunzel a blonde Caucasian. NOT because I’m racist, ONLY because that’s how she is in the story. I’m very interested in how they’re going to do this one.

• Lauren says:

Hey Sarah, how do you know PoC didn’t exist in medieval Europe? I mean, Roman immigration meant that African peoples were living in Western Europe as early as 1200 AD. Who’s to say Rapunzel wasn’t black?

• Eli says:

Sigh, the Roman empire fell in 476 AD.
        Furthermore, yes there were “non-white” people living in Europe, but they were a tiny minority for most of history, including the times in which most of these european fairytales take place.

• Lauren says:

So, when the Roman empire fell, you’re assuming that all the immigrants moved back to the African continent? Why are some people so averse to the IDEA that black people might be included in these myths and stories? Even though they are the minority, why should they not be considered a possible candidate for these stories? I’m white, and I’ve noticed that other white people are HORRIFIED that PoC are being cast in traditionally white roles. Why? The more diverse representation, the better!

• Eli says:

I’m not horrified, but I think those who would rather see a role being depicted in a traditional way are just as much allowed their opinion as you are your opinion of rather seeing more diversity, without having to worry about getting called “racist”.

• kat says:

(responding to this because I can’t respond directly to Eli)
            If you want to see a role being depicted in a traditional way then I suggest you watch a show that isn’t based entirely on nontraditional interpretations of fairytales. Unless of course the only tradition you care about is skin color, in which case kindly keep your bigotry to yourself.

• magreeda says:

I assume you mean the Western Roman Empire because the Eastern Roman (Byzantine) Empire didn’t fall until well into the Middle Ages. And furthermore, Muslims from North Africa ruled most of Spain up until the late 1400s and Muslims from Turkey were often encroaching on Eastern Europe territory throughout the Middle Ages. These non-white peoples were hardly a tiny minority and those are just two examples. Also, most fairytales are so ancient that they don’t “take place” at any certain time; they might’ve been written down at a particular time but the stories were oral and have a much older history than that. So, yeah, hate on the casting all you want but don’t pretend it’s because you’re smarter than someone else — your knowledge as presented above is way off base.

33. Lydia says:

This cast is literally all white (except Regina/Mulan), my goodness if they want to add one itsy bitsy character of color let them! This show is all about TWISTS on the original fairytales, otherwise it would be the retelling of the stories. Can everyone stop getting so damn caught up in race and enjoy a performance by how well the actor is portrayed. And FYI Jamie Chung who plays Mulan is Korean-American, but Mulan is from China, I never heard anyone complain about that…exactly. We live in a diverse world, it’s time the TV catches up to it.

• Eli says:

Hate to break it to you, but Regina is very much “white” by pretty much any official definition that isn’t made up by random people on tumblr.

• Katherine says:

And you know this how? She’s part Puerto Rican, so it’s entirely possible she could classify herself on the Census as Hispanic, black, white, or multi-racial. Unless you’ve seen a quote from her identifying as one, maybe stop with air of omnipotence.

• Eli says:

Actually you mean “omniscience”, as in “all-knowing”. Omnipotent means being “all-powerful”, which I wish I was but doesn’t really bare any relevance to my posts here.
          Hispanic = white. She’s part Puerto Rican, part Italian, that makes her “white”.

• meow says:

I hate myself for even responding to this but I can’t keep my mouth shut.
            “Hispanic” is an ethnicity. “White” is a skin color. They are two separate but not mutually exclusive classifications. One can be a white hispanic or a non-white hispanic. Ethnicities are grouped by culture, “race” is grouped by skin color. Some people identify more with their ethnicity than their race, because the cultural influence is greater. For example hispanics are united by language, Jews are united by religion. Both groups are ethnicities, in which there are white and non-whites.

• will says:

Oh come ON! Her name is Lana PARILLA! It’s a latin name. Her father is Puerto Rican. Yes, her skin is light and she could pass for caucasian, and her mother is Italian, but she ISN’T just caucasian, and that’s what Lydia meant when she said “white”

• Eli says:

The majority of Puerto Ricans are white. You do know that Spain actually lies in Europe don’t you? Why do you think they speak SPANISH in most of South and Middle America? Including Puerto Rico.

34. lizz says:

I hope during onces break they re air Wonderland so hopefully more people watch

35. It’s interesting, most of the princesses thus far have been cast very close to their Disney counterparts, while they have taken many liberties with other characters. Although the princesses personalities and storylines are obviously more complex then the original fairytales they seem to stay close to what we have seen. This is the first clear departure in a princess.

• will says:

Yeah! The princesses thus far have been cast close to their Disney counterparts! Like Mulan not being heterosexual, and being Korean! And Cinderella promising her firstborn to Rumplestiltskin for her royalty! And Belle exchanging herself for political bargaining to Rumplestiltskin, who as we all know is the Beast in the Disney version! And Ariel not trading her voice for legs but rather losing her voice as a punishment after the fact!

Nah, those changes are fine, but suddenly make the only known difference so far be her skin color and it becomes a big deal for some reason.

36. i got bored with this show a year ago, so the Rapunzel character is moot to me. i do wonder, however, what they will do with that oft’ quoted line “Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair, that i might climb thy golden stair….” it’s doable with this actress if she has any talent at all (never seen her, don’t know) but, like i said, the show just got too dumb for me.

37. Ricky says:

Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your weave

38. I saw on Chicago Fire as Peter Mills’ sister. She was good, but she didn’t get to do much. I’m interested to see her take on Rapunzal. Funny enough in Chicago Fire her character was the daughter of a man named Henry Mills.

39. She is beautiful, and I’m sure she’s going to make an amazing Rapunzel. :))

40. CandyCurses says:

Since I’ve been “spoiled” by pictures on this site many times before, I seriously thought the article was going to say that Emma is Rapunzel. And because she has very long, blonde hair.

41. Tai says:

You know it’s sad. I was happy at first when I saw that she was cast for the role and then my immediate thought afterwards was “watch the comments section be full of people being mad that Rapunzel is black”. And I was not disappointed. I find it hilarious that people get so upset when they’re accused of being racist for being upset about one person of color being cast in a role that was “originally white”. Like the whole world is going to end because one role on a fantasy show was given to a person of color.

But I stand by my happiness. When I was growing up there were few people of color on television. So I give kudos to OUAT for adding some, especially not in stereotypical roles. It would’ve been nice to see more people that looked like me on tv when I was a kid. I’m glad that my niece gets to enjoy seeing a black Rapunzel.

Ok, now feel free to tell me how what I just said was racist.

• Betsy says:

/APPLAUSE

• Brandy says:

You get the award for best post–all the awards!!

• Lauren says:

Awesome post, Tai, I agree so much.

• Eli says:

Nothing you said was racist. In fact I totally get why you’re glad for your niece.
      But for the same reason nothing you said was racist, the people in this thread who don’t like this casting choice are not racist either.

• Katherine says:

Not liking something because of race isn’t racist?

• Tai says:

Actually it really is. I haven’t seen one person so far say that they’re unhappy with the casting because the actress is terrible. Everyone seems to be caught up on race. I’m curious as to what your definition of racism is if not hating something based only on race.

• Eli says:

Everyone is caught up on “race” (or more accurately her skin tone and hair) because that is the one thing that’s different from the animated disney princess. They don’t dislike the casting because she’s black, but because she’s not white and blonde as her animated counterpart.
          You’d have the same objections if the actress was asian/indian/native american/etc.
          Likewise (other) people would be upset if they cast a black actress to play Mulan, or an Asian actress to play Tiana.
          And to answer your question: racism is a bias or prejudice towards seeing one or more “races” as superior or inferior to another. Saying “I’m against this casting cause black people suck at acting” is racist. Saying “I don’t like this casting because it doesn’t match the existing depiction of the character” isn’t racist.

• Tai says:

Actually no I wouldn’t have the same reaction. As I said I’ve grown up in a world where the best roles goes to white actors/actresses. So I wouldn’t be up in arms because I’m used to it. It’s sad state of reality.

And really I doubt there would be this much outcry if they chose to make her a redhead. So you can call it whatever you want but when the only objections people have are based on skin color, that makes the argument racist. We don’t have to agree on this. And obviously we are not. I’m not looking to argue with you because that’s a pointless endeavor. Honestly I’m going to stay away from this thread entirely and find something a lot more positive to focus on. Because this thread and the majority of the comments are just ridiculous and sad.

• Benita says:

There is a difference when you are talking about the ethnicity or race of a character being part of her overall story like Mulan and a story where her race or ethnicity literally makes no impact on the story like Rapunzel. There’s nothing about Rapunzel that ties it to her being white, Mulan is the story of a Chinese woman and there’s no way around that. Rapunzel is a straight up fairy tale, it’s not based in fact at all, unless you think that a prince actually climbed a woman’s hair, you don’t have history to stand on either.

• kate says:

Just because you keep saying that the negative reaction isn’t racist doesn’t make it so. Just like no matter how many times people try to point out to you why they feel the reaction is racist isn’t going to change your mind. Doesn’t there come a time when you just accept that no matter how many times you say something isn’t going to change someones mind and stop responding?

• Eli says:

Just because people keep throwing the word racism around where it doesn’t apply, doesn’t make it so.
          Doesn’t there come a time when you, Kate, just accept that no matter how many times you say something it isn’t going to change someone’s mind and it might be best to stop responding?

• kate says:

Well, since it was my first time saying anything then no, I don’t feel like I need to stop responding. However, if you continue to say the same thing to me, yes I will stop responding. And in case I wasn’t clear, my point was this…doesn’t the “yes it is” and “no it isn’t” become tiresome? I honestly want to know. Why do you keep engaging?

• will says:

Judging a character as unfit for a role based solely on race, when the race of the character is irrelevant to who the character is and their plot, is discrimination based on race, and therefore, by definition, racism.

Casting the princess from The Frog Prince can be done in any race, and Disney demonstrated that with Tiana. The role of Tiana is a black character, and any character named Tiana and given her basic plot I’d expect to be representative of her as the only African American princess, but the princess from the original tale could be anyone. Likewise, as long as you have the basis of “girl in tower with long hair” you have Rapunzel. Heck, you might not even need the tower. Even if you require the hair be blonde, (or hey, maybe her hair is literally gold) that still says nothing about her race. So yes, trying discriminate against actresses getting roles based on race, when race is a non-factor to the character, is racist.

42. JC says:

I think it’s an interesting choice. I look forward to seeing how it’s handled. It is a departure for the show. So far they have kept pretty close to the Disney “look” for most of the characters, particularly the princesses, even though the storylines might be changed. But Jack was a woman after all, so they’ve already shown they’re not completely locked in to a particular portrayal of a character. So I’m intrigued to see how she fits in. That being said, I do understand why some might be thrown by the choice. You get a certain image of a character and sometimes it can be hard to break away from it. As much as I enjoyed Amy Adams’ character in Man of Steel, I cannot for the life of me make myself think of her as “Lois Lane”, not least because to me, Lois is not a redhead!! (Although that wasn’t the only reason.) And let’s face it, when people hear the name Rapunzel, the first thing they think of is that long blonde hair. So….whatever. As long as she’s a decent actress (and I haven’t seen her in anything) I’m willing to give her a chance.

43. SaraTheHLess says:

Who cares what color her hair is? If we’re going by the Disney adaptation here, then her magic hair changes color once it’s cut, anyway! What everyone should really be concerned about is this character’s very short life expectancy….Cinderella’s Godmother, Lancelot, Billy,Tamara…yeah. Thank heavens Sydney is still with us, albeit locked-up in the Storybrooke sanitarium, so long as Esposito (the actor) remains poached by another show. I will start praying for her survival now…

44. Alice says:

She’s gorgeous. And even in Disney-fied Tangled, wasn’t the princess really a brunette- and the golden color was unnatural- due to the spell in her hair? When Rapunzel shows up in Frozen, she’s still sporting short, dark hair. So a blond would have been all wrong anyway. I wonder if will we meet her first pre or post cutting of the hair?

• kate says:

And also in the Disney-fied Tangled, nobody ever says “Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair, so that I may climb the golden stair”. They only say “Rapunzel let down your hair”. Tangled doesn’t even use the quote that people insist makes Rapunzel blonde. So if they stay to the (basically) Disney-fied version there is no conflict.

45. Alice says:

I mean, I guess the only real mystery left is who will be Mother Gothel- Rumplestiltskin or Regina?

46. Hodan says:

I can’t wait to see what OUAT writers do with this version of Rapunzel. This is sort of like their take on Lancelot and that show Merlin and their blind casting for Guinevere.

47. abz says:

The only hair on OUAT I want to see is Cruella’s!!!

48. Hey look, all the same trolls who hated that Mulan likes women hate that Rapunzel is not Aryan.