Exclusive

Sleepy Hollow Exclusive: Look Who's Playing Ichabod's Father (Hint: You'll Approve)

Sleepy Hollow Season 1 Cast Victor GarberSleepy Hollow fans, prepare to have your wigs flipped.

The supernatural drama has cast… Alias spydaddy Victor Garber as Ichabod’s dad, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Sleepy Hollow Spoilers and More

Details are sparse, but Garber will appear in at least one upcoming episode of the Fox series.

In the Nov. 25 episode, Ichabod spoke fondly of his father, reminiscing about spending time with him while the elder Crane was on holiday from teaching at Oxford.

RELATED | Save the Dates! Your Guide to 150+ December Finales, January Premieres and More

Prior to the announcement, executive producer Ken Olin told TVLine that there often is a behind-the-scenes weighing of the pros and cons of choosing a known actor for a guest part.

“When we cast John Noble [as sin-eater Henry Parrish], that was definitely a discussion,” he said. “But then, finally, it was really on the merits of John Noble. He’s amazing. So that’s always the balance that we work with.”

Garber’s recent TV work includes Web Therapy and NBC’s short-lived Deception. He will play a judge on The Good Wife later this season.

1. yes i approve, a millon times yes

2. Kate Garner says:

OMG! YES! LOVE it! (Sorry for the caps, but seriously, WOW.) :)

3. Leigh says:

Approved. Heck, I approve of the whole show!

4. Elisa says:

Awesome!!

5. Lysh says:

You’re correct. I do approve. A lot.
    Is John Nobel coming back?

6. StupidPeopleShutUp says:

Nobody can get a performance out of Garber like Olin. I stopped watching SH after the third episode because it just didn’t grab me, but Garber on top of Noble…I might need to revisit it now.

7. Sue T says:

I wholeheartedly approve!

8. JulieB says:

Awesome choice. I;d have preferred a british actor but still fantastic.

• meem says:

He can do British, don’t you worry.

• Dani says:

Victor Garber and Tom Mison sharing scenes, my head may just explode. He is Canadian so at least he is a member of the Commonwealth. This is also the second time Mr. Garber has played British to a Crane, he did that wonder guest stint on Fraiser as a butler who tried to keep Fraiser from being Fraiser.

• Michelle says:

I would prefer an American for all the roles of American characters that are played by British and Australian actors (I maintain that they are slowly taking over America, one role at a time. ;-)) so an American actor playing a British character doesn’t bother me at all, especially if he’s the best person for the job.

• meem says:

But if a Brit/Aussie is the best person for the job of an American character, that’s a problem? Double standard, much?

• sharon says:

I agree. I wouldn’t mind if there was nearly as much reciprocity (i’ve only seen one or two americans in canadian productions and none elsewhere). also, an american symbol like superman…i mean we can’t even have that anymore. my opinion, as unpopular as it may be, but this is just a microcosm of american companies and productions feeling that americans are just not good enough.

9. Cory says:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love, love LOVE this guy ever since Alias. w00T!

10. reggie says:

A to the pprove !!!!!!!!!

11. meem says:

This is great casting. And it means the Ichaflashbacks will be going all the way back to his life in England, too? Even better news!

12. Molly Harper says:

I love Victor Garber, but can we have at least one show on television without the whole trite screwed-up parent/child/family dynamic? They’ve already tainted SH by bringing in Irving’s wife and kid, now we have to deal with Ichabod’s dad? Plus they have already hinted at a plot involving Abby’s mother. It’s been done to death on almost every show – 24, Homeland, The Good Wife, etc. If I wanted to watch dysfunctional families, I could always watch reruns of Brothers and Sisters.

• meem says:

But “family” has been a very strong theme since the very beginning of this show. It’s largely about rebuilding/reconnecting/creating family, and always has been. And if these two characters are the Witnesses chosen by God to fight the Apocalypse, of course their pasts and families will be relevant.

Garber will obviously be in flashback, and flashbacks always serve the purpose of providing vital background information on the show. It’s not like Crane will be able to talk to him in current day.

• Elliot says:

Completely and totally agree. Alias was a hideous example, and I had thought Sleepy Hollow would be free of BadDaddy and EvilTwin and MagicBaby and all those tired things. I’m not interested in family angst, any more than I am in katrina’s baby. Just don’t go there.

Victor Garber woulda made a great guest star of an unrelated person.

• Lysh says:

Ichabod spoke really fondly of his dad, so I’m guessing no dysfunctional family here. But I’m sure he plays an important role in some part of Ichabod’s journey.

13. Alice says:

yay! I loved this. As Jack? Bristow on Alias, VG was the best dad ever. If he considered someone a threat to Sydney he’d take them on a nice car ride and then shoot them. I hope he’s a good guy on SH. Ichabod deserves some love.

• meem says:

The first time Crane mentioned his father (identifying him as a nobleman), it didn’t seem like there was a close relationship there. But then when he talked about him at the end of the last episode, it sounded like they were very close. So I guess we’ll see.

14. Annie says:

Yippie!

15. Can this show get anymore awesome. Great original cast, then they add Amandla Stenberg and Jill St Marie, special appearances by John Noble and now Victor Garber? Be still my heart!

16. lisambri says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Victor Garber – ever since Alias and even Titanic (I hated that film, but loved his scenes) – he needs to be on my TV weekly :-)

17. charlotte says:

Yay!!!!!! This is awesome news.

18. prish says:

He was, also, in Eli Stone. That was a fun show.

19. Pat says:

I love Victor Garbor and I have never been disappointed in any show or movie that I have seen him in. Cannot wait to see him on Sleepy Hollow. Good move producers.

20. Pamela says:

This show has been groovy since the beginning! Victor Garbor added is a plus!

21. Sunny says:

22. Maryann says:

Sorry, don’t care in the least for Garber. I hope he will not have a lot of screen time.

23. Alice says:

SO HYPED. Victor Garber is fabulous – can’t wait to see him in period dress. :D

24. nikki says:

Awesome! John Noble and Victor Garber are the awesomest of awesome actors. This is just awesome!

25. Alexandra says:

I approve, though to be honest, when I first read the title, I’d hope for an aged Jason Isaacs? I know he’s not OLD enough to be Mison’s dad, but I mean their faces and voices are complementary. AND OMG JASON ISAACS.

26. meow says:

I was hoping for Anthony Head. Am I the only one?

27. Dicie says:

Yes!!!! Victor Garber is always a welcome addition to any show but to have him on Sleepy Hollow is fantastic. Only better news would be if they decided not to have such a long hiatus.

• meem says:

I know. January 20 will be here very soon, and then comes 8 months of sadness. I hope the Sleepy Hollow powers-that-be have a plan to keep interest high and fans engaged during the long hiatus. (Lots and lots of videos, PTB–deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes, bloopers; basically anything you’d put on a DVD set. Release them, Tweet them, once a week, at least. Don’t give people a reason to unfollow you! Ask Orlando Jones how to do it. He’ll tell you.)

28. Aims says:

YES! My fav show just got favoriter!

29. Nicole says:

Seriously, this was a casting coup I didn’t know I wanted until it happened. Jason Issacs or Anthony Head would’ve also been great choices but Victor Garber knows how to play an awesome stern, loving, smart badass daddy. Can.not.wait!

And Anthony Head can still swoop on in as another character in past or present day. He, James Frain, and John Noble would make an interesting trio of dark magic wielders.

30. michael says:

i guess i dont know who that is

31. Sofie says:

I know he is young but it could have been Chris Hemswrorth

32. Vivian Lewis says:

Love Victor Garber good to see him back on TV again!!!

33. Gabriel says:

Is ok excellent choice !!!!

34. sterling2005 says:

Is ok excellent choice !!!