Sleepy Hollow Exclusive: Look Who's Playing Ichabod's Father (Hint: You'll Approve)

Sleepy Hollow Season 1 Cast Victor GarberSleepy Hollow fans, prepare to have your wigs flipped.

The supernatural drama has cast… Alias spydaddy Victor Garber as Ichabod’s dad, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Sleepy Hollow Spoilers and More

Details are sparse, but Garber will appear in at least one upcoming episode of the Fox series.

In the Nov. 25 episode, Ichabod spoke fondly of his father, reminiscing about spending time with him while the elder Crane was on holiday from teaching at Oxford.

RELATED | Save the Dates! Your Guide to 150+ December Finales, January Premieres and More

Prior to the announcement, executive producer Ken Olin told TVLine that there often is a behind-the-scenes weighing of the pros and cons of choosing a known actor for a guest part.

“When we cast John Noble [as sin-eater Henry Parrish], that was definitely a discussion,” he said. “But then, finally, it was really on the merits of John Noble. He’s amazing. So that’s always the balance that we work with.”

Garber’s recent TV work includes Web Therapy and NBC’s short-lived Deception. He will play a judge on The Good Wife later this season.

Comments (54)

• yes i approve, a millon times yes

Comment by joão pedro sampaio (@joaotc) – December 2, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! YES! LOVE it! (Sorry for the caps, but seriously, WOW.) :)

Comment by Kate Garner – December 2, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Approved. Heck, I approve of the whole show!

Comment by Leigh – December 2, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome!!

Comment by Elisa – December 2, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You’re correct. I do approve. A lot.
    Is John Nobel coming back?

Comment by Lysh – December 2, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nobody can get a performance out of Garber like Olin. I stopped watching SH after the third episode because it just didn’t grab me, but Garber on top of Noble…I might need to revisit it now.

Comment by StupidPeopleShutUp – December 2, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG yes.

Comment by H – December 2, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wholeheartedly approve!

Comment by Sue T – December 2, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome choice. I;d have preferred a british actor but still fantastic.

Comment by JulieB – December 2, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He can do British, don’t you worry.

Comment by meem – December 2, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Victor Garber and Tom Mison sharing scenes, my head may just explode. He is Canadian so at least he is a member of the Commonwealth. This is also the second time Mr. Garber has played British to a Crane, he did that wonder guest stint on Fraiser as a butler who tried to keep Fraiser from being Fraiser.

Comment by Dani – December 2, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes! You are my favorite person of the moment for remembering that!

Comment by kimberly – December 3, 2013 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would prefer an American for all the roles of American characters that are played by British and Australian actors (I maintain that they are slowly taking over America, one role at a time. ;-)) so an American actor playing a British character doesn’t bother me at all, especially if he’s the best person for the job.

Comment by Michelle – December 4, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But if a Brit/Aussie is the best person for the job of an American character, that’s a problem? Double standard, much?

Comment by meem – December 4, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I wouldn’t mind if there was nearly as much reciprocity (i’ve only seen one or two americans in canadian productions and none elsewhere). also, an american symbol like superman…i mean we can’t even have that anymore. my opinion, as unpopular as it may be, but this is just a microcosm of american companies and productions feeling that americans are just not good enough.

Comment by sharon – December 6, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love, love LOVE this guy ever since Alias. w00T!

Comment by Cory – December 2, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A to the pprove !!!!!!!!!

Comment by reggie – December 2, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great casting. And it means the Ichaflashbacks will be going all the way back to his life in England, too? Even better news!

Comment by meem – December 2, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Victor Garber, but can we have at least one show on television without the whole trite screwed-up parent/child/family dynamic? They’ve already tainted SH by bringing in Irving’s wife and kid, now we have to deal with Ichabod’s dad? Plus they have already hinted at a plot involving Abby’s mother. It’s been done to death on almost every show – 24, Homeland, The Good Wife, etc. If I wanted to watch dysfunctional families, I could always watch reruns of Brothers and Sisters.

Comment by Molly Harper – December 2, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But “family” has been a very strong theme since the very beginning of this show. It’s largely about rebuilding/reconnecting/creating family, and always has been. And if these two characters are the Witnesses chosen by God to fight the Apocalypse, of course their pasts and families will be relevant.

Garber will obviously be in flashback, and flashbacks always serve the purpose of providing vital background information on the show. It’s not like Crane will be able to talk to him in current day.

Comment by meem – December 2, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely and totally agree. Alias was a hideous example, and I had thought Sleepy Hollow would be free of BadDaddy and EvilTwin and MagicBaby and all those tired things. I’m not interested in family angst, any more than I am in katrina’s baby. Just don’t go there.

Victor Garber woulda made a great guest star of an unrelated person.

Comment by Elliot – December 2, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ichabod spoke really fondly of his dad, so I’m guessing no dysfunctional family here. But I’m sure he plays an important role in some part of Ichabod’s journey.

Comment by Lysh – December 2, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay! I loved this. As Jack? Bristow on Alias, VG was the best dad ever. If he considered someone a threat to Sydney he’d take them on a nice car ride and then shoot them. I hope he’s a good guy on SH. Ichabod deserves some love.

Comment by Alice – December 2, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The first time Crane mentioned his father (identifying him as a nobleman), it didn’t seem like there was a close relationship there. But then when he talked about him at the end of the last episode, it sounded like they were very close. So I guess we’ll see.

Comment by meem – December 2, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yippie!

Comment by Annie – December 2, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can this show get anymore awesome. Great original cast, then they add Amandla Stenberg and Jill St Marie, special appearances by John Noble and now Victor Garber? Be still my heart!

Comment by Milaxx (@MilaXX) – December 2, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE LOVE LOVE Victor Garber – ever since Alias and even Titanic (I hated that film, but loved his scenes) – he needs to be on my TV weekly :-)

Comment by lisambri – December 2, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!!!!! This is awesome news.

Comment by charlotte – December 2, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He was, also, in Eli Stone. That was a fun show.

Comment by prish – December 2, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Victor Garbor and I have never been disappointed in any show or movie that I have seen him in. Cannot wait to see him on Sleepy Hollow. Good move producers.

Comment by Pat – December 2, 2013 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show has been groovy since the beginning! Victor Garbor added is a plus!

Comment by Pamela – December 2, 2013 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Sunny – December 2, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, don’t care in the least for Garber. I hope he will not have a lot of screen time.

Comment by Maryann – December 2, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO HYPED. Victor Garber is fabulous – can’t wait to see him in period dress. :D

Comment by Alice – December 2, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! John Noble and Victor Garber are the awesomest of awesome actors. This is just awesome!

Comment by nikki – December 2, 2013 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I approve, though to be honest, when I first read the title, I’d hope for an aged Jason Isaacs? I know he’s not OLD enough to be Mison’s dad, but I mean their faces and voices are complementary. AND OMG JASON ISAACS.

Comment by Alexandra – December 2, 2013 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about Jason Isaacs. He would be a wonderful addition

Comment by scarlett232 – December 4, 2013 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping for Anthony Head. Am I the only one?

Comment by meow – December 3, 2013 05:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty happy to have Victor Garber, but I definitely would have loved Anthony Head, too!

Comment by kimberly – December 3, 2013 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, that would’ve been a great get and Ichy’s always evoked what I think an Revolutionary War era Watcher might’ve been like on BtVS.

Comment by Nicole – December 3, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bwah! That would have been perfect. Victor Garber is a real plus but ASH would have been amazing.

Comment by Spn Dahne – December 4, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes!!!! Victor Garber is always a welcome addition to any show but to have him on Sleepy Hollow is fantastic. Only better news would be if they decided not to have such a long hiatus.

Comment by Dicie – December 3, 2013 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know. January 20 will be here very soon, and then comes 8 months of sadness. I hope the Sleepy Hollow powers-that-be have a plan to keep interest high and fans engaged during the long hiatus. (Lots and lots of videos, PTB–deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes, bloopers; basically anything you’d put on a DVD set. Release them, Tweet them, once a week, at least. Don’t give people a reason to unfollow you! Ask Orlando Jones how to do it. He’ll tell you.)

Comment by meem – December 3, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! My fav show just got favoriter!

Comment by Aims – December 3, 2013 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, this was a casting coup I didn’t know I wanted until it happened. Jason Issacs or Anthony Head would’ve also been great choices but Victor Garber knows how to play an awesome stern, loving, smart badass daddy. Can.not.wait!

And Anthony Head can still swoop on in as another character in past or present day. He, James Frain, and John Noble would make an interesting trio of dark magic wielders.

Comment by Nicole – December 3, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i guess i dont know who that is

Comment by michael – December 4, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know he is young but it could have been Chris Hemswrorth

Comment by Sofie – December 4, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Victor Garber good to see him back on TV again!!!

Comment by Vivian Lewis – December 4, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is ok excellent choice !!!!

Comment by Gabriel – December 5, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is ok excellent choice !!!

Comment by sterling2005 – December 5, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post