How I Met Your Mother Spins a 'Different' Kind of 200th Episode - Starring The Mother

How I Met Your Mother Season 9 SpoilersGet ready to see a lot more of The Mother.

How I Met Your Mother‘s titular mama has been in short supply so far this season, but that will change when the hit CBS comedy airs its 200th episode in January.

PHOTO | How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Spoilers — Andrew Rannells Guest Stars

The milestone outing, while light on the original cast, will offer up a plentiful helping of the future Mrs. Ted Mosby.

“You’re going to be so sick of her by the end [of the series],” jokes executive producer Craig Thomas, adding that newbie series regular Cristin Milioti is “the star” of the momentous half-hour, titled “How Your Mother Met Me,” which is told from her character’s perspective.

“Our 100th episode was very much a celebration of the cast – not the cast doesn’t deserve celebrating even more after 200 episodes – but this is a different kind of story,” adds EP Carter Bays. “It’s about the tale. It felt like a different kind of 200th episode, but it felt like the right one to do in terms of the greater story of the show.”

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Spoilers — Episode Set in China

Having a lot more screentime also gives Milioti a greater chance at taking home awards-season gold, when the time comes. “If she doesn’t get nominated for a guest Emmy for this episode, I don’t know what one has to do to get that,” raves Thomas. “She’s fantastic in it. Anyone who wants more of her will love this episode.”

As The Mother’s story unfolds, that fateful meeting — between Ted and his future wife at the train station — nears. But will it be a joyful moment? After all, the bachelor, sporting a mysteriously bandaged hand, looks pretty forlorn in the flash-forwards after struggling with his feelings for Robin during the wedding festivities.

“It’s a bruising weekend for everybody,” replies Bays. “A lot goes down. But he’s going to meet [The Mother] at exactly the right time in his life.”

Assures Thomas: “Ted will be very happy at the end of the series.”

1. Fernanda says:

Assures Thomas: “Ted will be very happy at the end of the series.”

That means, the mother isn’t going to die. isn’t it?

• Stacie says:

I think the Mother should be alive. That would be horrible if they killed her off. I think to be funny the last line or so should go to her and her finding out her husband(Ted) is telling the story to their kids and she goes something like “That’s not how the story goes….this is how it goes” and then it kinda fades to black with her telling them this story. That would be quite ironic and a satisfying ending and would make sense given how much Ted embellishes.

• JoeD says:

I never understood this theory. It would be a big surprise swerve, but it’s based on the premise of “Hey kids, I know you could use some cheering up about your mom dying, so let me tell you about all the girls Barney and I banged before I met her.”

2. k says:

I’m still think that wedding weekend season was a horrible idea, especially for the show’s last season, but I’m glad they’re making an episode like that.

3. Joe says:

kinda wish we could get the kids reaction that he can tell a story about how the mother met him in a half hour but his story takes forever

4. cas says:

Eh I don’t really mind that we haven’t seen her that much. I mean I do think they should spend some time showing us how they fall in love so easily after his heart is just been broken, but other than that I have been more upset that Marshall has not arrived at the Inn yet. And that I still find Barney and Robin unlikeable together. Since Ted and Robin don’t end up together, she should have ended up with Don.

• Alan says:

don? you would prefer don over barney? don is one of the worst written characters in the history of the show, right up there with zoey.

• JoeD says:

I guess Segel’s scenes were shot at another location while he was working on his next movie. He was the last holdout for Season 9. His movie (Sex Tape) looks good, but I don’t know about him playing opposite Cameron (I’m hot but can do a goofy face so I’m good at comedy) Diaz. I’d much rather

5. hello says:

I keep wondering if episode 200 will be a hourlong episode, because it should be

6. J says:

How can she be nominated for a guest Emmy when she’s a series regular?

7. Stefan says:

She is a series regular, why would she be eligible die submit anything in the guest actor category?! wtf – this is really a weird statement from an exec producer – he should know better Oo

8. Alan says:

“You’re going to be so sick of her by the end [of the series],” god i hope so because im beyond sick of the rest of the cast and im definitely sick of how tiny her presence has been this season given how she is supposed to be a main character, especially given how she is the only highlight of a so far dreadful final season.

9. hipster says:

So, this isn’t gonna be a filler episode? Yay. Finally.

10. wordsmith says:

I’m betting the episode will be a series of flashbacks showing all of the times she almost met Ted over the course of the series – all of the yellow umbrella sightings, Cindy’s roommate, the Love Solutions date – it’ll all turn out to be her.

11. Erin B. says:

I really like that idea wordsmith =) hope it is that!

12. It’s amazing designed for me to have a website, which is beneficial for my experience.
    thanks admin

13. b says:

I’ve seen episodes here and there but don’t watch regularly. I have to say last weeks rhyming episode was one of the series best. And I’m looking forward to this.

14. diana p says:

The actress playing the Mother, leaves me puzzled. She’s just okay. I know that the creators LOVE the actress. I’m sure she’s a great person, but somehow she doesn’t really fit. She’s saying the right things (obviously line wise), but I don’t feel the heat/chemistry with Ted. Also she seems really young. Too young almost for Ted. Considering all of the other women he’s dated. And the ones he’s really come close to marrying – Robin, Sarah Chalke’s character “Stella”, and the baker “Victoria”. I don’t know. Anyone else feel the same?

15. John G says:

The 200th episode almost confirmed my fears.
    1.the writers have no problem in killing people in the story
    2.the ted and robin have the “single after 40″.

So I guess the mother is dying @40, she tells ted how she moved past her lover dying. Ted gives Robin a chance and they end up together as always.