How I Met Your Mother Spins a 'Different' Kind of 200th Episode – Starring The Mother

Get More: Interviews, Previews, Scoop

How I Met Your Mother Season 9 SpoilersGet ready to see a lot more of The Mother.

How I Met Your Mother‘s titular mama has been in short supply so far this season, but that will change when the hit CBS comedy airs its 200th episode in January.

PHOTO | How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Spoilers — Andrew Rannells Guest Stars

The milestone outing, while light on the original cast, will offer up a plentiful helping of the future Mrs. Ted Mosby.

“You’re going to be so sick of her by the end [of the series],” jokes executive producer Craig Thomas, adding that newbie series regular Cristin Milioti is “the star” of the momentous half-hour, titled “How Your Mother Met Me,” which is told from her character’s perspective.

“Our 100th episode was very much a celebration of the cast – not the cast doesn’t deserve celebrating even more after 200 episodes – but this is a different kind of story,” adds EP Carter Bays. “It’s about the tale. It felt like a different kind of 200th episode, but it felt like the right one to do in terms of the greater story of the show.”

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Spoilers — Episode Set in China

Having a lot more screentime also gives Milioti a greater chance at taking home awards-season gold, when the time comes. “If she doesn’t get nominated for a guest Emmy for this episode, I don’t know what one has to do to get that,” raves Thomas. “She’s fantastic in it. Anyone who wants more of her will love this episode.”

As The Mother’s story unfolds, that fateful meeting — between Ted and his future wife at the train station — nears. But will it be a joyful moment? After all, the bachelor, sporting a mysteriously bandaged hand, looks pretty forlorn in the flash-forwards after struggling with his feelings for Robin during the wedding festivities.

“It’s a bruising weekend for everybody,” replies Bays. “A lot goes down. But he’s going to meet [The Mother] at exactly the right time in his life.”

Assures Thomas: “Ted will be very happy at the end of the series.”

Comments (31)

• Assures Thomas: “Ted will be very happy at the end of the series.”

That means, the mother isn’t going to die. isn’t it?

Comment by Fernanda – December 1, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the Mother should be alive. That would be horrible if they killed her off. I think to be funny the last line or so should go to her and her finding out her husband(Ted) is telling the story to their kids and she goes something like “That’s not how the story goes….this is how it goes” and then it kinda fades to black with her telling them this story. That would be quite ironic and a satisfying ending and would make sense given how much Ted embellishes.

Comment by Stacie – December 1, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I never understood this theory. It would be a big surprise swerve, but it’s based on the premise of “Hey kids, I know you could use some cheering up about your mom dying, so let me tell you about all the girls Barney and I banged before I met her.”

Comment by JoeD – December 2, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still think that wedding weekend season was a horrible idea, especially for the show’s last season, but I’m glad they’re making an episode like that.

Comment by k – December 1, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • kinda wish we could get the kids reaction that he can tell a story about how the mother met him in a half hour but his story takes forever

Comment by Joe – December 1, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eh I don’t really mind that we haven’t seen her that much. I mean I do think they should spend some time showing us how they fall in love so easily after his heart is just been broken, but other than that I have been more upset that Marshall has not arrived at the Inn yet. And that I still find Barney and Robin unlikeable together. Since Ted and Robin don’t end up together, she should have ended up with Don.

Comment by cas – December 1, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • don? you would prefer don over barney? don is one of the worst written characters in the history of the show, right up there with zoey.

Comment by Alan – December 1, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess Segel’s scenes were shot at another location while he was working on his next movie. He was the last holdout for Season 9. His movie (Sex Tape) looks good, but I don’t know about him playing opposite Cameron (I’m hot but can do a goofy face so I’m good at comedy) Diaz. I’d much rather

Comment by JoeD – December 2, 2013 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I keep wondering if episode 200 will be a hourlong episode, because it should be

Comment by hello – December 1, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can she be nominated for a guest Emmy when she’s a series regular?

Comment by J – December 1, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THANK YOU!!! I was JUST about to ask that!

Comment by lariet50 – December 1, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly. That comment really confused me.

Comment by Aly – December 1, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • maybe he just thinks of her as a guest actor given how little they have used her this season compared to some of their actual guest actors.

Comment by Alan – December 1, 2013 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Solid point.

Comment by lariet50 – December 1, 2013 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes I went there as well: a telling freudian slip, which bodes NO good as far as how much we’ll see “the guest actor” in the remaining episodes.

Comment by John 1138 – December 2, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is a series regular, why would she be eligible die submit anything in the guest actor category?! wtf – this is really a weird statement from an exec producer – he should know better Oo

Comment by Stefan – December 1, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “You’re going to be so sick of her by the end [of the series],” god i hope so because im beyond sick of the rest of the cast and im definitely sick of how tiny her presence has been this season given how she is supposed to be a main character, especially given how she is the only highlight of a so far dreadful final season.

Comment by Alan – December 1, 2013 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, this isn’t gonna be a filler episode? Yay. Finally.

Comment by hipster – December 1, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Excellent post! It sums up most of this season and good portions of the last two as well.

Comment by Barry – December 1, 2013 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m betting the episode will be a series of flashbacks showing all of the times she almost met Ted over the course of the series – all of the yellow umbrella sightings, Cindy’s roommate, the Love Solutions date – it’ll all turn out to be her.

Comment by wordsmith – December 1, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree completely!

Comment by bjohns – December 1, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like that idea wordsmith =) hope it is that!

Comment by Erin B. – December 1, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s amazing designed for me to have a website, which is beneficial for my experience.
    thanks admin

Comment by university of san diego diploma frame – December 1, 2013 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve seen episodes here and there but don’t watch regularly. I have to say last weeks rhyming episode was one of the series best. And I’m looking forward to this.

Comment by b – December 2, 2013 05:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The actress playing the Mother, leaves me puzzled. She’s just okay. I know that the creators LOVE the actress. I’m sure she’s a great person, but somehow she doesn’t really fit. She’s saying the right things (obviously line wise), but I don’t feel the heat/chemistry with Ted. Also she seems really young. Too young almost for Ted. Considering all of the other women he’s dated. And the ones he’s really come close to marrying – Robin, Sarah Chalke’s character “Stella”, and the baker “Victoria”. I don’t know. Anyone else feel the same?

Comment by diana p – December 2, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shrug. The actress is 28.

I haven’t seen her enough to form a judgement on the character.

Comment by John 1138 – December 2, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Cobie is 31….

Comment by John 1138 – December 2, 2013 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The 200th episode almost confirmed my fears.
    1.the writers have no problem in killing people in the story
    2.the ted and robin have the “single after 40″.

So I guess the mother is dying @40, she tells ted how she moved past her lover dying. Ted gives Robin a chance and they end up together as always.

Comment by John G – January 28, 2014 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post