Actor Paul Walker Dead at 40

Paul Walker diesFast and the Furious actor Paul Walker, who got his start on television with stints on The Young and the Restless, Who’s the Boss and Highway to Heaven as well as the short-lived syndicated sitcom Throb, has died following a single car accident outside Los Angeles. He was 40.

Per TMZ, which first reported the news, the car carrying Walker slammed into a tree and burst into flames in Santa Clarita, Calif. The driver of the vehicle — Walker’s close friend and business partner Roger Rodas — also died.

The news was confirmed on the actor’s official Facebook page:

It is with a truly heavy heart that we must confirm that Paul Walker passed away today in a tragic car accident while attending a charity event for his organization Reach Out Worldwide. He was a passenger in a friend’s car, in which both lost their lives. We appreciate your patience as we too are stunned and saddened beyond belief by this news. Thank you for keeping his family and friends in your prayers during this very difficult time. We will do our best to keep you apprised on where to send condolences. – #TeamPW

A string of supporting roles in films like Varsity Blues, She’s All That and Pleasantville led to his big break in 2001’s The Fast and the Furious. He appeared in four subsequent sequels and was currently filming Fast & Furious 7.

Walker’s latest pic, the Hurricane Katrina drama Hours, is due out Dec. 13.

He leaves behind a 15-year-old daughter, Meadow, with ex-girlfriend Rebecca McBrain.

1. Brie says:

So TMZ is a legit source now for deaths?…waiting for confirmation.

2. iMember says:

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no! Please be a hoax. Please be just another hoax.

3. Alam says:

Are we sure this is true. Seems to be debate about accuracy of the TMZ article.

• I thought it was a hoax too, considering the fact that there was one about his death just yesterday, but a lot of major news sites are now reporting it. There is even a local newspaper from Santa Clarita, where the crash happened, that is reporting it. The NY Daily News is reporting it too. Most internet hoaxes don’t make it to real news outlets.

• actually, several have… there are numerous examples of real news sites posting hoaxes as if it were real, only to find out later it was not…
        Not saying this isn’t real, I don’t know… but it is weird that this was going around that he died a few days or so ago, as well…

• S. says:

Seems like the lastest hoaxes are when something bad happens and then people go around trying to say it was a hoax, even writing up false statements from representatives and when people read it they assume it’s been proven untrue. Sorry guys, there’s ample evidence this is legitimate. The crash looks pretty bad. I hope they died instantly and not in the resulting fire. RIP Paul and his (for now unnamed) passenger. Doesn’t sound like that person was a celebrity but they deserve to be remembered too. How tragic.

• Manda says:

if you look at all those sites – it says the source is tmz.

4. D says:

He didn’t die, this is yet another hoax

• Simon Jester says:

No, it’s not. It’s been confirmed on both his official Twitter feed and his Facebook page.

• Krysten says:

Hi I read everything and I only heared of my fav actor died today,I’m his biggest fan of fast and furious and now I heard of his death I really do not want to watch no 7 I have pics of the accident its very bad and dam I liked his car R.I.P Paul Walker and his friend I even own his first to fast to furious :'( and I wish it wasn’t real my heart is broken about it love you Paul Walker and I send my regaurds to his daughter,family and ex girlfrien and his friends mwah love ya and vin you are funny

• Rama says:

He did die

• Michelle says:

I can’t even imagine how sad your life is that you can’t respectfully let his death be reported without trying to cause confusion.

5. Elyse says:

I’ve seen conflicting stories on it and none of them are from legit news sources. WHAT IS GOING ON?!

6. Sarah-Ann says:

No! This can’t be happening. Better be a hoax. Not believing TMZ as sourc! Waiting for conformation!

7. richyrichoh says:

That’s so ironic and tragic. RIP.

8. flutiefan says:

TMZ doesn’t get this crap wrong.

9. Amanda says:

Supposedly it is a hoax.

• The real hoax is calling his death a hoax. His PR team made an official announcement confirming his death on both his official Twitter & Facebook pages.

• Ki lith says:

Well yes, with two hours of information after the other posters, of course you are correct. But you dont Need to come off so high and mighty and snarky about it.

Consider when others post, when deciding how to respond.

10. Daniel says:

I really hope this is just a stupid prank. I’m shocked right now.

11. grayton says:

ummmm, no.

12. Ashley says:

Waiting for a source that is actually reputable. After the Lil Wayne incident earlier this year, TMZ lost what little credibility they had. Every article so far seems to be referencing TMZ as the source. As soon as Paul’s rep or the police confirms it, I’ll believe it.

13. Apparently, there was a rumor yesterday that he passed away, but that was confirmed false this morning. However, this appears to be real.

14. Shelby says:

I don’t know if this is a hoax or not?

15. He was on Throb? This is so sad, he was/is too young to be dead.

16. dudley boggs says:

Well I hope it ain’t true! Dont like 2 hear that about nebody! Don’t ppl have a life of their on? Damn get off the internet &live!!!

17. Stacie says:

I don’t think I ever saw any of his movies but hearing of his passing is incredibly sad. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

18. Ever says:

A rep for the actor confirms Paul died today in the crash after leaving a charity event. He’s dead. Those horrible accident photos aren’t made up.

19. doug says:

If u don’t see it on cnn or TV period it’s not real

20. jimbo says:

“A source close to the actor confirmed the report of his death to Variety.”

Incredibly sad. :-(

• jimbo says:

ABC News confirmed it as well. :-(

• jimbo says:

Official Facebook account confirms:

“It is with a truly heavy heart that we must confirm that Paul Walker passed away today in a tragic car accident while attending a charity event for his organization Reach Out Worldwide. He was a passenger in a friend’s car, in which both lost their lives. We appreciate your patience as we too are stunned and saddened beyond belief by this news. Thank you for keeping his family and friends in your prayers during this very difficult time. We will do our best to keep you apprised on where to send condolences.”

• jimbo says:

Associated Press: “BREAKING: Publicist says ‘Fast & Furious’ actor Paul Walker dies in Calif. car crash”

21. Kimmy Sue says:

I’d like to know the truth & see photos or interviews! This is so WRONG if it is a hoax.

22. OLLX says:

Omg and I just end watched fast 6

23. David Suarez says:

paul walker is not dead.This is another Stupid HOAX. I work for the Police Department out here in Las Vegas. I checked the system at Downtown area command. He is alive and well.

24. D says:

I hope they honor his memory in the FF movies if they continue.

25. Steve says:

ok… if paul walker died this afternoon how come when you search his death in google and scroll down it shows on the dates that TMZ reported this 2 days ago…. hmmmmm interesting

• Shawn says:

There was a hoax last week that his reps just squashed this morning ,in the afternoon he was at a charity event and was killed in a car accident for real ,ironic but sadly true !!

26. Ann says:

His official website is not available and hasn’t been for over an hour now. There is no reason for his official site to be unavailable.

27. Ellen says:

I saw an article on People. Com saying he was dead as well…

28. Shawn says:

His reps squashed a dead hoax from last week this morning and in the afternoon he was actually in a car accident and really died ,how sad !! My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family !!

29. Paul says:

If it isn’t real, eventually this will bore everyone and we will know one way or the other. I never met him. If I did, I don’t recall it. If he died, it’s a shame we lost someone willing to do silly things to entertain us. If not, he’s a jerk for not loudly stating that he is alive.

• me says:

I’m sorry … but what? Why do you sound so annoyed by this news article? Like his death is some inconvenience to you? And how did he do “silly things to entertain us”. He was an actor, that was his job. He died in a freak car accident on the way to a charity event. At least he was using whatever star power he had for some good.

30. I guess paul went too fast….and…furious…

31. Wendy says:

Daily News (via TMZ) is reporting this as true with tweets from those who knew him confirming AND a photo of the crash.

Sad. May he RIP!

32. Sam says:

It’s real. If you go on his fan site, it’s closed down.

33. His Twitter page confirmed it 8 minutes ago along with his facebook page, its true

34. didi says:

Nooooooooooooooooooo! Was still holding on to the idea it could be hoax!

35. Jim says:

If it’s true, I’m saddened, Paul Walker, you definitely are a great actor. I’ve enjoyed all your movies, and saddened that people so young, die so tragically for no reason at all.

Peace be with you, your family, friends, and all of your Beloved Fans,

Rest In Peace,
    Paul Walker…..

36. Adrienne says:

This is so sad. :(

37. dave says:

To all those doubtful I just saw on the news on USA Today they confirmed it. And and seeing it on local TV news. So all u people who don’t believe there is the proof

38. Jailinee says:

He was my favorite actor

39. amal says:

he is gone to the heavenly father

40. Prospector says:

Who Cares, I did not know him personally, nor never would of, he had a JOB as an actor, I grieve the people I know, not someone I don’t, it’s a waste of my time, if it was the other way around he would not be grieving over me!! he’s just a guy with a different JOB than me

• Simon Jester says:

News flash: People who *actually* don’t care don’t take the time to (1) click on headlines that don’t interest them and (2) post comments. I think it’s time to consider the possibility that you are, in fact, a douchebag.

• You don’t care, yet you took the time to write this and post it??? Either you are just trying to get attention or you need professional help.

• Ashley says:

Except there are people that knew him and are mourning him. You don’t have to grieve him but it’d be nice for you to have some empathy for his friends and family. This would require you to actually try and think of someone other than yourself, I know, it’s a toughie.

• Scribe says:

Is it okay with you if other people choose to give respect to someone who’s died leaving behind a child? The first human reaction after hearing of a death, any untimely death is the sentiment being expressed here, not just by his fans but from people who grieve the loss of any person under such circumstance. That’s just the decent thing to do. If you really don’t care that is your prerogative but do the decent thing and keep to yourself what is obviously your attempt at wit from those who do.

• WWP says:

It is unfortunate that you’re so bitter. By your reasoning we should never, ever care about people we don’t know. We shouldn’t send food or aid or medical assistance to people who have suffered a tragedy. We don’t know them. We should step over the person who has fallen on the ice, after all, we don’t that know person. Why should I reach out a hand to help that person out? I can only hope you will get help to understand why you are so cold, it’s a sad way to live.

41. Doc says:

Please can he not be dead I know it is a hoax.

• Just Some Dude says:

You “know it’s a hoax”? Okay provide proof. I’m going with Paul Walker’s own PR team & the numerous news sources.

• Magee says:

Hey please I been trying to find out did he die wen the car crashed or did he die wen it went in flames did he burn alive??

42. Meredith says:

I really really hope this isn’t tru. I rlly hope he is alive n well. I always liked him as n actor

43. Christina B says:

sad but true, he really did die http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Walker

44. Tran 2.0 says:

I’m a big fan of the Fast & Furious franchise but I’m deeply saddened about the death of Paul Walker. He was one of the most handsome teenage heartthrobs of his prime. Can’t wait for Fast 7 when it comes out in July 2014 but as of today, my thoughts and prayers goes out to his family, friends and his co-stars. Live fast and live furious forever. RIP Paul Walker :-(

45. Eliza says:

I’ve always liked him a lot. He was very likeable – not to mention good-looking & I enjoyed him onscreen. He seemed to stay away from the craziness of Hollywood. Will miss him. RIP Paul Walker.

46. 2fastand furious says:

That’s what happens when you live life 60 scones at a time

47. Guest says:

I don’t know what to say, I’m too shock for words

48. freitas says:

RIP Paul walker … prayers for your loved ones.