Dracula's Jonathan Rhys Meyers Talks Renfield's Torturous Disappearance, a Moment With Mina

Dracula Season 1 Spoilers Renfield KidnappedDracula‘s Alexander Grayson (aka Vlad Tepes) keeps his confidants few in number and close at hand — so what happens this week (Friday 10/9c) when a crucial one goes missing?

Before the NBC series’ small break, you’ll recall, a grieving Lord Davenport hired the very unsettling Nora to find out what role Grayson played in Daniel’s death.

When Lord Davenport’s agents nab — and torture — Nonso Anozie’s Renfield, they’ve got the titular vampire’s right-hand man in a position to spill everything.

RELATEDDracula‘s Victoria Smurfit on Lady Jayne’s Bruising Sex Scene

“Renfield is [Vlad's] closest relationship of the whole production,” star Jonathan Rhys Meyers tells TVLine. “He risks everything to get him back, because he has a great bond and a great love [for Renfield] because they are two people that have been outcasts from society — through who they are and what they are.”

During the hour, a flashback shows us Vlad and Renfield’s first exchange, which takes place in the middle of a stalled business deal and which highlights how tough life was for the lawyer before meeting his patron.

RELATED | Stephen Moyers Talks ‘Scary’ NBC Sound of Music Live! Gig

“At that time, [America] was a particularly dark place to be,” for people of color, Rhys Meyers notes, “and Vlad recognizes that when he sees him.”

Dracula - Season 1While Renfield’s undergoing some very terrible trials (think salt literally rubbed into a fresh wound), Mina and Harker plan a lavish engagement party — which includes an intimate dance that doesn’t escape Lady Jayne’s notice.

Still, Rhys Meyers says his character isn’t sweating the drama Mina’s engagement is causing in his life — or hers. And he cautions fans not to expect a Mina-Harker breakup in the near future.

“It just suits [Vlad] to have them together right now,” he says.

1. CourtTV says:

Love the Renfield casting.

2. dean says:

Wish I could like this show more buts its basically a cw soap opera at times.

3. Jane says:

I love the show. If you want a different, exciting, series that is NOT a police show (so tired of those) watch Dracula and enjoy the scenery, the costumes, the vampires and the main actor JRM, he is great!

4. Dale says:

Renfeld’s view from the floor as Dracula walks by with a severed head in hand was a nice comedic touch.

5. Wendy jenkins says:

This adaptation of this Dracula draws upon all the past characters & blends them quite nicely. He is a complex man with many layers to be peeled away one at a time. This show is not just for watchers, but for thinkers. Well done!

6. sooze says:

When Harker offered the first dance to Grayson, he was treating Mina as an object. I wonder if Mina felt that way because I found it insulting. Lucy seems to be in love with Mina. How interesting! I was slow to like this show and did a rewatch on Hulu. I am now a major fan and voted for the show on PCA.

7. Shara says:

I LOVE NBC’s Dracula! It is a more adult, serious, sexy “vampire show” than anything on the CW. I completely root for Alexander Grayson, adore Renfield and can’t wait to see more between Grayson and Mina. I love JRM in this role, he’s soooooooo good! I hope it gets renewed for MANY more seasons.

8. b says:

JRM is heartbreakingly handsome. This show is underrated. It’s campy, fun, escapism. I doubt it gets renewed with his issues and the fact that it’s a limited run miniseries not a series.

9. Ugh, The show is not good. JRM is a terrible actor and the show it self is hard to follow. Stopped watching after the 2nd episode.

10. Peggy Ann Jones says:

I think Dracula is fantastic. I am a major fan. I hope it continues, I rather enjoy thr twist, on an old plot, that is fresh, and exciting.
    Pj

11. Kelly says:

I love this show. This is in my top 10 of Dracula portrayals. I hope there is another season. JRM is amazing as Dracula. He captures the seductive, intelligent, complexity of Dracula. Plus, he’s hot.

12. cld says:

JRM displayed his talent during the Devil’s Waltz! Due to expert camera shots, his facial expressions during the dance gave viewers a chance to feel the complexities of his relationship with Mina (or is it Meena?)