Ratings: S.H.I.E.L.D. Audience Surges Sans NCIS, Dancing Finale Down, POI Ticks Up

MING-NA WENWith the Agents of Gibbs deferring to Rudolph, ABC’s Agents of SHIELD this Tuesday drew its second-largest audience to date — 9.7 million total viewers — while ticking up two tenths to a 2.6 demo rating, per finals.

Leading out of that, the Dancing With the Stars finale did 14.8 mil and a 2.4, down from both its year-ago All-Stars closer (16.7 mil/3.0) and its most recent coronation ceremony (15.2 mil/2.7).

Over on CBS, Rudolph pulled 11.3 mil on Santa’s sled, while lighting up a 3.0 rating — up 13 percent and a tenth from last year.  A heartbreaking NCIS: Los Angeles led out of that with 12.3 mil/2.4, dipping a tenth, while Person of Interest (11.9 mil/2.2) ticked up two tenths.

NBC’s Biggest Loser (6.6 mil/2.0) shed a tenth, The Voice (10.4 mil/3.0) was down 11 percent and two tenths and Chicago Fire (7 mil/2.1) rose two tenths.

The CW’s The Originals (2.38 mil/1.1) and Supernatural (2.39 mil/1.1) were steady, with the latter scaring up a best-since-premiere audience.

And on Fox, Dads (3.2 mil/1.2) dipped a tenth, Brooklyn Nine-Nine (3.7 mil/1.5) was steady and both New Girl (3.5 mil/1.9) and Mindy (2.6 mil/1.4) gained two tenths.

1. nateddog says:

YAYYY SHIELD

• DarkDefender says:

And it was a great episode.. Let’s hope more people tune in for the next installment!

• Jason says:

I thought the episode was awful. And I completely knew where the episode was going with the “Ghost” because there is an identical episode plot twist in an old X files episode. THis show is so unoriginal. Joss Whedon needs to start paying attention to what his little brother is doing in his name. I was thouroughly bored. I never thought I’d see a show with joss Whedo’ns name on it that contains awful, painfully unfunny dialogue, plagiaristic plots and plot twists, boring actors as the leads, and formulaic story structure.

2. Esaul says:

I wonder how much a factor NCIS not airing last night played a role in S.H.I.E.L.D.’s ratings.

3. Pat says:

Guess that does go to show NCIS does take viewers away from Agents of Shield, at least live ones.

• Esaul says:

In theory, sure. We can only assume that’s the case. We won’t be able to know if that’s the case with a 100% certainty.

• Elyse says:

that would be a pretty big coincidence if that wasn’t the case.

• Esaul says:

I agree. Now if S.H.I.E.L.D.’s ratings surged, that’d be another conversation. The uptick does help the show. But it’s not enough for me personally to say it’s due to NCIS not being on last night. Opened to that theory of course, but I’m not entirely convinced.

• Wouter says:

Ummm.. It’s rating did surge. And it’s definitely because there wasn’t a new episode of NCIS last night. How can you not see that? I hope ABC sees this too and moves it too a different timeslot next year.

• Esaul says:

How did they surge? Last week’s final ratings were a 2.4, this week’s a 2.5 without the final ratings in. NCIS’ last episode was a 3.0 earning the same ratings as Rudolph. This is also without final ratings too.

• Will says:

” Now if S.H.I.E.L.D.’s ratings surged, that’d be another conversation.”

Erm, see headline of this story: “S.H.I.E.L.D. Audience *SURGES* Sans N.C.I.S.”.

• Esaul says:

A 2.4 to a 2.5 from my standpoint isn’t a surge, especially when Rudolph and NCIS share the same 3.0 rating. And the fact that Rudolph’s ratings also increased from last year by a tenth is pretty noteworthy too, when it airs yearly. So the argument stands that sure NCIS viewers could’ve contributed to S.H.I.E.L.D., but they could’ve contributed to Rudolph equally.

• Oh, I dunno. While there are sure to be plenty of nostalgiac adults, the classic Rudolph special is primarily watched by children and a lot of those key demo ratings are incidental from parents who wouldn’t let their kids anywhere near NCIS. It is definitely too early to say that SHIELD will grow its audience as significantly given more time, but that 0.1 growth says plenty. It might not seem like much, but it shows that there is growth potential. Beats having a 2.2, anyway.

• Esaul says:

Children don’t factor into the “key demographics”, so that doesn’t play into this at all. A .1 growth says nothing. S.H.I.E.L.D. has rebounded to a .1 growth already only to decline again. If S.H.I.E.L.D. continues to rise, then we will talk. But I don’t see that happening outside of sweeps and mid-season/season finale. Will it get renewed? Probably. But I wouldn’t be surprised if it got cancelled too.

• “…a lot of those key demo ratings are incidental from parents…”–me

• Esaul says:

You also went on and talked about “children” which don’t play a role in demographics which is the point I was on about.

• I’m just saying that a huge chunk of the Rudolph ratings are because of parents/families and it’s really, really unlikely that it’s the same exact audience as NCIS. Many of them probably do watch NCIS, probably more of them don’t and tuned in just to show their kids the classic.

• Esaul says:

Which is nothing more than a mere conjecture.

• People don’t watch TV like they used to. The pool of TV viewers doesn’t seem to grow, but shrink, contrary to population growth. The only big national TV event I can think of that still attracts 100 million viewers is the Super Bowl. The Cheers finale had 93.9 million viewers. The MASH finale had 121 million viewers. The 1998 Seinfeld finale had 76.3 million and the 2004 Friends finale had 52.5 million viewers. In 2010, the Lost finale only had 13.5 million viewers. Even as large as the NCIS fanbase is, shows just don’t get watched by one third of the country anymore. Most popular shows reach a plateau in growth by the third season and then steadily lose a few viewers each year, especially when the network makes drastic changes to its schedule.
        The SHIELD/NCIS overlap in viewers is undeniable. SHIELD’s ratings dip for things like Ziva’s exit and go up when NCIS isn’t on or has a rerun. There just isn’t the pool of TV viewers they had when there were only three channels. Very, very few shows experience the same growth and cultural penetration as the old hits after two years. I personally hope SHIELD will be the exception that grows in both popularity and quality, but I’m just glad it’s doing as well as it has been. Critically acclaimed shows that should be popular hits end up getting a 1.5 or worse.

• Esaul says:

This could be true in theory, however NCIS hasn’t been on repeat yet. This is the first time it hasn’t aired this season. So there isn’t enough data to make a bold statement as this. And these are assumptions. Assumptions aren’t fact. These viewers could be going to other Broadcast/Cable shows, or might even turn off the TV. Someone may have missed last’s week’s episode and watched last night’s. Someone could’ve caught up via Hulu for S.H.I.E.L.D. and managed to by last night’s episode. There’s a lot of factors in there that makes it hard to plausibly pinpoint where viewers go. And we don’t know who the specific viewers are anyway or their viewing habits. These are simply conjectures and there’s not enough there right now to indicate anything of S.H.I.E.L.D. vs NCIS, at least for me anyway from my standpoint.

• Pat says:

Another thing is it could be the same viewers Shield always gets but they just didn’t dvr it because they watched it live instead of NCIS. With all the forms of watching ratings are never ever going to be what they used to be anyway. Unless they get with the times and somehow count everything at once, then you might see those bigger numbers mentioned above, if even possible to do.

The only recent show I can think of that went up in viewers after the first few seasons was 24, first 3 had so so viewers then it just took off for a few seasons, then back down a bit again.

Shield did alienate a lot of people with its rather lackluster start too, now that it is getting better, people could be finding it again. Can’t really tell, just assume, if it happens a couple times, then it starts to become more than an assumption

• kelel21220 says:

The reason Lost had so few was because it was THE BIGGEST RIP OFF IN TV HISTORY!!!

• HTGR says:

true, things are so fragmented these days, it’s not like it used to be when you could mention something the next day and most people would know what you were going on about

4. Logan says:

That’s good news for S.H.I.E.L.D.

5. Jeremy says:

The Voice’s ratings are going down FAST. I love this new Twitter save. Without it, Matthew could have been eliminated last night, but the whole East Coast-West Coast problem might hurt the show in the long future.

• Esaul says:

The problem with The Voice’s ratings (Tuesday wise) is The Biggest Loser, at least from my perspective. The Voice is a solid show to lead any night. Put it behind a weak performer like The Biggest Loser, I don’t have much prospect for it. Now I haven’t paid any attention to NBC’s Tuesday 8/9 PM slot to speak with any sort of certainty, but it’s also a distinct possibility.

• Emma says:

Why watch an hour of filler when you can go online and find out who was eliminated 3 hours (for me anyway) before it airs. Plus Twitter is the devil, nothing but a massive cloud of negative energy, and it upsets me to no end that The Voice is promoting it the way they are. Not cool.

6. Jeff says:

Last night’s Person Of Interest was AWESOME. POI has had an amazing trilogy of episodes recently.

7. Kenneth says:

I think this is proof that Agents of Shield needs to air on a night where there isn’t big competition, because putting up against the biggest show on television currently isn’t doing a solid show any favors. It deserves a second season, and will most likely get it but long term it won’t survive against a rating juggernaut.

• Esaul says:

A single instance of this isn’t proof though. You need more instances of this to demonstrate this. And the fact that the ratings didn’t surge also doesn’t indicate S.H.I.E.L.D.’s ability to stand alone without NCIS as competition. If you want to be technical, it only raised a tenth of a point compared to last episode’s final ratings.

• ben says:

Esaul, you are a very accurate statistician because you are absolutely right (technically), but it also seems to me that you’d make a pretty good tradesman, because you are getting very good at pushing that wheelbarrow. I’m pretty sure most everyone understands that we don’t know SHIELD was up because NCIS wasn’t on. I also think its common sense that it is pretty likely that that is exactly why it was up.

• Esaul says:

I appreciate that comment Ben, thank you. My views are from my standpoint and I do respect others views. But that comment does mean a lot. So thanks!

• kd83954 says:

I’ve always felt like Shield would be great on Sunday nights.

• Shaun says:

Thought they already renewed it for a season 2?

• John 1138 says:

Since it hardly larger in ratings when that “big” competition wasn’t there I’d say there’s no actual evidence a move anywhere would help.

It may simply have the audience that it has, plenty of niche shows perform that way.

8. Will says:

Fantastic for SHIELD. It was also, luckily, a very strong episode, so hopefully that’ll woo more people back in coming weeks.

• Wouter says:

SHIELD has been really good the last few weeks, much better than the first few episodes.

• gdv says:

I agree. Ever since the really good Simmons episode a few weeks ago, the show has become more “must watch” for me. It seems like the writers have a better sense of the characters, and the plots, too, have become more interesting. I hope it continues to improve.

9. HeatherC says:

Nice to see Chicago Fire tick back up above a 2.0 again! The show was fantastic last night (loved Dawson and Casey the most but the whole show was great). Glad to see SHIELD’s better ratings too although I haven’t gotten to watch it yet. =)

10. Carrie says:

That’s awesome! Last night’s episode was really good. The show deserves more viewers.

11. Beth says:

Loved loved loved Chicago fire. The second season is killing it!!!!!! Finally time for Dawsey :)

12. Len says:

The writers on NCIS LA are handling the Kenzi/Deeks storyline amazingly well. Way too little conversation going on about that fact.

• elin says:

YES, that episode was amazing

• Apples says:

I thought it was actually terrible that she punched him in the face last night, when she was angry with him- and never even apologised.
      Deeks deserves better.

• Len says:

There was nothing to apologize for. Deeks had a job to do and didn’t do it. His partner’s life hung in the balance becuase he wouldn’t act and do as he is trained to do.

The writers have handled the conseqiences of romance very well so far in a high pressure job.

It’s not all fun and games as most shows portray. There are consequences to caring too much. The writers are showing that very well.

• Apples says:

The anger was legitimate, but punching him in the face was not. That was assault. She hit hard and meant it, and as someone trained it unarmed combat, it would have hurt. Shades of domestic violence.

• Apples says:

Also, given they’re shying completely away from showing any physical intimacy what so ever, I think the writers are actually completely botching the transition from UST to any kind of relationship (cf Bones).

13. Dennis says:

I never watch shield live, I always save it for last because I like it so much

14. wrstlgirl says:

Okay they finally hooked up Casey and Dawson, now it will be angsty soap stares from across the firehouse, ugh. You know it’s not gonna be happily ever after. Wonder what will happen to break them up :-) Love this show but romance never works.

15. Jo says:

It’s kinda funny that Rudolph got the same rating as the last NCIS. It just goes to show that if there are pretty colors and some sound, the CBS audience is perfectly content to watch whatever is airing.

16. Kim R says:

I don’t know why results shows insist on being so long. I PVR DWTS anyway just so I can zip through all the filler (and Brook) and get to the actual dancing. I was able to watch last night’s 2 hour finale in 30 minutes. :)

17. Barb says:

Nothing new there. While it gets high ratings it’s pretty much ignored which is a shame.

18. Dj says:

I really think SHIELD would have better ratings if they moved it back 2 hours.

19. liz says:

glad to hear that for SHEILD! Its been fantastic these past few episodes…and we know its only going to get better.

20. liz says:

hopefully ABC will consider the NCIS juggernaut’s effect when they decide to renew the show (which they were going to anyways)

21. cj says:

POI was so awesome last night. I can’t believe how good this show is it’s like a movie each week. You can tell how much everyone cares with the details they put into it. All that visual security camera capture style isn’t easy to achieve.

22. kevin says:

Hmmm…I’m beginning to think. Should CBS move NCIS:LA to anchor another night? Without its lead-in, it did fairly well in the ratings. So it does seem like it could stand on its own and not rely too much on NCIS. Does it deserve to anchor another night? Thoughts?

23. kath says:

Hmmmm, I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that it was advertised as a May episode?

I’d like S.H.E.I.L.D. if there were more less emphasis on perfectly perfect Skye, and more emphasis on May.

24. DavidSask says:

The Voice deserves to lose massive on Tuesday with its stupid twitter save for show!

25. Maryann says:

And how many people figured SHIELD and NCIS would have a totally different audience?

26. K. says:

Loving POI right now! The show and actors are killing it!!!

27. Emily says:

I am very interested to see where POI goes from here! This show is my favorite on tv right now.

28. kelel21220 says:

I can’t believe Chicago Fire doesn’t have a bigger audience. It is an intense show. If you’re not watching you should be.

29. Paul J. Reedy says:

Person of Interest is firing on all cylinders at this point. It is by far the most compelling show on television. The End Game trilogy better be remembered at Emmy time.

30. Miguel Stafer says:

S.H.I.E.L.D. is too boring that I stop watching! I had a big expectation about this series but after seeing 4 episodes, I stooped!