The Originals Preview: As Elijah and Hayley Bond, Will Klaus Be Replaced in His Baby's Life?

The Originals Season 1 SpoilersElijah Mikaelson: stepfather?

A surprising connection has taken hold on The Originals between the vampire and pregnant werewolf Hayley — and that’s bad news for baby daddy Klaus.

It’s a bond that no one could have predicted upon their arrival in New Orleans, especially given the fraught dynamics involved (she’s carrying his brother’s baby, Klaus is an egomaniac, etc.)

VIDEO | The Originals Season 1 Spoilers — Klaus Dictates His Memoirs to Cami

Elijah “seems to covet those really, really complicated relationships,” says Daniel Gilles. “He’s a thousand years old. One would think that he had a better sense of self-preservation. It’s weird, isn’t it, that he wants this? Could it be any more complicated and more of a minefield than choosing Hayley?”

Although it’s all “very innocent right now,” says Phoebe Tonkin, the pull between the Original and the werewolf has definitely not gone unnoticed by Klaus, which turns the minefield into a battlefield. The temperamental hybrid even bit his own brother, leaving Hayley to tend to a sickly Elijah in this Tuesday’ episode (The CW, 8/7c). But there’s an emotional undercurrent to the violent tactics: Klaus fears he’s being replaced.

“There’s the idea that Elijah is usurping his role as father,” previews Joseph Morgan. “Having this family is what Elijah wants most – family above all. He’s taking on that role, and that is addressed in the show. We’re not beating around that bush. We’ll absolutely make reference to the fact that you might think that he’s the father with the way that he’s acting.”

RELATED | The CW Picks Up The Originals, The Tomorrow People and Reign for Full Seasons

Their sister, Rebekah, has her own trepidation about Elijah and Hayley’s relationship, having seen her siblings fight over a girl before. “She knows that this could go very wrong,” explains Claire Holt. “But she thinks so highly of Elijah. She’s not one to really tell him how to behave or act.”

Still, despite all the warning signs, the unlikely pair will continue to be “magnetically drawn to one another,” says Gilles.

“It seems like the more that they try and resist it, the more that it snowballs,” teases the actor. “It will be interesting to see where that develops to, because I sense him — at the moment, in the scripts — pulling away really hard, which can signify one of two things: That he’s either really going to jump in with both feet or he’s gonna wrench himself away from it.”

But what does the centuries-old vampire see in the wolf gal? “It’s the same thing that he was drawn to in Elena a little bit. It’s humanity,” describes Gilles. “He’s drawn to her bravery and her recklessness in the face of insurmountable threats to both her own life and her child’s life.”

1. kjmorse says:

I love Elijah & Hayley- I’m only 2 eps in- but I saw the connection right from ep 1

2. Mel says:

Haley is not worthy of Elijah. NO ONE is worthy haha

3. If this happens I am so done I want Klaus to play the role as a father not Elijah I want Klaley

• mac says:

Klayley and Klaus father role are two different pairs of shoes tough.

Hayley doesen’t belong to Klaus, just to make that clear to some hard core Klaus fans.

I don’t want Haylijah either but they’re free to want what they want

4. b says:

I love this show. It’s great! I also saw the spark in the first episode. They have chemistry.

5. Guest says:

Elijah is such a Drama Queen: of course he’s going to go after the only werewolf pregnant with his brother’s baby! What kind of quetsion is that?

• mac says:

drama queen ? Sure he follows in the family tradition of getting his shakespeare accent on and gets all teary eyes when he does something wrong….wait that’s klaus

• 80s says:

“getting his shakespeare accent on and gets all teary eyes when he does something wrong” hahaha!

• Guest says:

In all honestly, I can’t even picture Elijah going for the a simple girl that woud cause no friction with his family: its always the most complicated Petrova doppleganger, the girl in the middle of the Salvatore & now his own brother’s baby mama.
        Elijah will always goes for the most out of proportion, major deal, overly dramatic option he could find: the messier it gets, the better for him.

• Francine says:

Um, yeah, I think you remixing up brothers here.

• Guest says:

In all honesty, I can’t even picture Elijah going for a simple girl that would cause no friction with his family; its always the most complicated Petrova doppleganger, the girl in the the middle of the Salvatore & now his own brother’s baby mama.
      Elijah would always go for the most out of proportion, mejor deal, overly dramatic option he could find: the messier it gets, the better for him.

6. Kira says:

I would love for Klaus to start acting like a soon to be dad and drop the whole “I hurt so I hurt everybody else” mentality. It’s starting to get really old and what little sympathy I had for him is starting to go away. He doesn’t have to grow up overnight but I’m over him treating his family like crap. I understand he has thousands of years worth of angst to work through but this is season 4 of the Klaus saga. He needs to step up if he really wants to be a father.

I’m liking Hayley a lot more now that she’s on a different show. I don’t think they knew how to write her on TVD. I’m surprised by how excited I am to see what happens with Hayley and Elijah!!! They really seem to have a pull between them. And I especially love Hayley’s relationship with Rebecca!!! They seem to have developed a genuine affection for each other. And Beks could definitely use that in her life.

• Abc says:

This is everything I think times 100!!! I love Klaus but I really was hoping he was growing out of his poor me phase. I thought that he even was showing signs of it during the first few episodes of the Originals. But the last couple episodes not so much and I’m a little disappointed although he is still hot. However, I am enjoying everything else and am starting to like Marcel too. I was hoping Cami would help Klaus mature a little more but even she couldn’t help in the last episodes.

• Elle Blair says:

I agree but I think when Klaus was on TVD he showed way more humanity and kindness around Caroline. I have nothing against TO but I thought it was supposed to show more of Klaus’ humanity not make him seem more heartless. I miss Klaroline I truly think she’s his only shot at humanity

• yudi says:

i still feel sorry for him,he was crying in episode 8 season 1,rebekah betrayed him to marcel who beat Klaus up then got beaten up by werewolf klaus,elijah was sick noone stood up for klaus,even josh(new gay,clubbing one) betrays him

7. tina says:

As long as we don’t get a love triangle between brothers again I don’t really care if they go for hayleijah but stay with it!

8. JDS says:

Two words from a TVD fan that quit watching after third season. I find the Originals and TVD…BORING and YAWN!

• Francine says:

Well, that was more than two words ;) If you quit watching TVD, how do you know its still “yawn”? And if you find The Originals “boring”, I assumed you quit watching that too? I’m not trying to be snarky, I’m just wondering why you’re reading an article about it then?

9. Jules says:

I really like Elijah/Hayley!! Got good chemistry. I like all the potential pairing Klaus/Cami weirdly enough and LOVE Marcel/Rebekah!

• Kira says:

Yeah I like the chemistry between Cami and Klaus. I especially loved her reaction when she realized he manipulated her memories of what happened to her brother. That was one pissed off woman!!!! In that moment she didn’t care he was some big bad vampire. Kind of made me wish she was a thousand year old vamp too. A knock down drag out fight in that moment would have been epic!!! I do believe Cams would have taken him :)

10. Naazneen says:

Haylijah. My absolute fave thing about TO!

11. Mpi says:

So now Elijah basically wants to date his niece mum? Great, I’m done with TO.
    They promised us a more darker, sexier and adult show.
    All I can see is a really bad copy of a teenager movie.
    I used to love evil Klaus but I think he’s gone for good…

• Abc says:

I’m not sure where you were during the last episode but Klaus seemed almost as evil as normal. But let me be the first to say goodbye to you.

12. Kat says:

The name is Daniel Gillies btw. – not Daniel Gilles -.-

You’ve written it wrong every single time in that article!

13. JACKIE says:

SO GLAD THE ORIGINALS HAVE THEIR OWN SERIES. THE ACTORS ARE GREAT,
    NEW ORLEANS ADDS A WONDERFUL BACKGROUND. ELIJAH’S GORGEOUS,
    MARCEL IS CHARMING. REBEKAH’S BEAUTIFUL, AND KLAUS IS SEXY.

14. yudi says:

klaus and cami????im in australia so havent watched season 2

15. crazy bitch says:

Nah I think that hayley and klaus should just be friends in that way it would make all of their lives easier… Don’t you think? Hahah