Ratings: Doctor Who's 50th Sets BBCA Record

Ratings Doctor Who – 50th Anniversary Special Call him Doctor Feelgood.

Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor on Saturday afternoon premiered to 2.4 million total viewers on BBC America, giving the channel its most watched telecast ever (as well as its best tallies in the 25-54 demo).

RELATED | Quotes of the Week: The Best Lines from Doctor Who, S.H.I.E.L.D. and Other Shows

Folding in a primetime encore, Doctor Who‘s 50th anniversary special amassed 3.6 million viewers.

Leading out of Day of the Doctor, BBC America’s Atlantis debuted to 840,000 viewers, the largest premiere audience ever for a Supernatural Saturday offering.

VIDEO | Orphan Black‘s Return Date Is Set — Season 2 Teaser Follows Sarah’s Search for Answers

Across the (Amy) pond, Day of the Doctor drew 10.2 million viewers on BBC1 — Who‘s fifth-largest UK audience since 2005 — yet was bested Saturday night by Strictly Come Dancing (which did 10.6 mil).

1. Sheila says:

I wish BBC America would expand their programming beyond Top Gear and Star Trek. They must realize that there’s a market here for British programs; why are they so stingy? There are more British shows on PBS now!

2. Lysh says:

I wish I had BBCA. Had to watch it like I have been for the past seven years. I’m happy to hear this event hit so many records! It’s amazing how far DW has come in terms of popularity. I used to force my friends to watch it and now they’re all happily on board.

3. Jo says:

It’s a pity Orphan Black wasn’t able to premiere after this.

4. Sara says:

The BBC1 rating may have been lower than Strictly but they are not counting the masses who went to the cinema to watch it on the big screen in the UK. My cousin and her friends went and they said it was packed full of people and they barely got tickets.
    Anyway it was a fantastic episode and I haven’t laughed that much in a while. I forget how much I miss David although I adore Matt.

5. KCC says:

Yay, Doctor Who 50th! I saw it at 2:50 PM and then again at 7:00PM.

So glad that I saw it in the afternoon, BBCA strectched out the show with 1 hour worth of ads, which really broke the spell. In addition, did they cut some scenes out in the 7PM telecast?

6. tp says:

I’m a marginal Who fan. I prefer Tennant over Smith. Smith is still good though.

7. DarkDefender says:

Great ratings and the 50th anniversary special deserved it.. It was brilliant front to back. As a poster above states.. Too bad Orphan Black couldn’t have been ready to nab an new audience with the doctor as it’s lead in.. No worries. We’ll be there to see OB’s season 2 greatness. And I am actually looking forward to a new doctor.. And was pleased that the Day of the Doctor was so nostalgic..

Well done!

8. TVPeong says:

Yay! I thought I read somewhere that 77 million people watched around the world. Congrats to Doctor Who!

9. Angelo says:

Couple things, first off BBCA doesn’t get to broadcast Sky shows I believe, which limits them greatly. Also even with only 10.2 in the UK, they set world records being shown in over 94 countries in simulcast and over 77 million watched live.

10. Drewer says:

Is that BBC-1’s 5th largest audiance since 2005? or Who’s fifth largest?