Ratings: Doctor Who's 50th Sets BBCA Record

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Ratings Doctor Who – 50th Anniversary Special Call him Doctor Feelgood.

Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor on Saturday afternoon premiered to 2.4 million total viewers on BBC America, giving the channel its most watched telecast ever (as well as its best tallies in the 25-54 demo).

RELATED | Quotes of the Week: The Best Lines from Doctor Who, S.H.I.E.L.D. and Other Shows

Folding in a primetime encore, Doctor Who‘s 50th anniversary special amassed 3.6 million viewers.

Leading out of Day of the Doctor, BBC America’s Atlantis debuted to 840,000 viewers, the largest premiere audience ever for a Supernatural Saturday offering.

VIDEO | Orphan Black‘s Return Date Is Set — Season 2 Teaser Follows Sarah’s Search for Answers

Across the (Amy) pond, Day of the Doctor drew 10.2 million viewers on BBC1 — Who‘s fifth-largest UK audience since 2005 — yet was bested Saturday night by Strictly Come Dancing (which did 10.6 mil).

Comments (19)

• I wish BBC America would expand their programming beyond Top Gear and Star Trek. They must realize that there’s a market here for British programs; why are they so stingy? There are more British shows on PBS now!

Comment by Sheila – November 25, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you sppose its because PBS are broadcasting ITV, not BBC, shows?

Comment by ben – November 25, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually there’s a fair number of BBC shows on PBS too. (And now that I think about it, I’m fairly certain BBCA has shown ITV shows before.)

Comment by writingmyownway – November 25, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Cheers. I realised after a little research that Sherlock is a BBC show so – there you go! I’m definitely wrong. It’s definitely odd that BBCA wouldn’t try harder to do that.

Comment by ben – November 25, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • The problem with shows that PBS airs on Masterpiece (like Sherlock) is that they are partly funded by PBS, so they get the distribution rights in the US (that’s why shows like Sherlock or Downton Abbey can be nominated for Emmys)

Comment by Artlight – November 25, 2013 08:01 PM PDT
        • They have indeed shown ITV programs before. Primeval was an ITV show, for example.

Comment by Sara – November 25, 2013 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, Sherlock is a BBC show that is aired on PBS

Comment by Anna – November 25, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • BBCA used to have EastEnders (BBC) and Hollyoaks (Channel 4) for a time.

Comment by James – November 26, 2013 01:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish I had BBCA. Had to watch it like I have been for the past seven years. I’m happy to hear this event hit so many records! It’s amazing how far DW has come in terms of popularity. I used to force my friends to watch it and now they’re all happily on board.

Comment by Lysh – November 25, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a pity Orphan Black wasn’t able to premiere after this.

Comment by Jo – November 25, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The BBC1 rating may have been lower than Strictly but they are not counting the masses who went to the cinema to watch it on the big screen in the UK. My cousin and her friends went and they said it was packed full of people and they barely got tickets.
    Anyway it was a fantastic episode and I haven’t laughed that much in a while. I forget how much I miss David although I adore Matt.

Comment by Sara – November 25, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, Doctor Who 50th! I saw it at 2:50 PM and then again at 7:00PM.

So glad that I saw it in the afternoon, BBCA strectched out the show with 1 hour worth of ads, which really broke the spell. In addition, did they cut some scenes out in the 7PM telecast?

Comment by KCC – November 25, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a marginal Who fan. I prefer Tennant over Smith. Smith is still good though.

Comment by tp – November 25, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, didn’t finish my comment. lol. I really enjoyed the special. Couldn’t have asked for more.

Comment by tp – November 25, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great ratings and the 50th anniversary special deserved it.. It was brilliant front to back. As a poster above states.. Too bad Orphan Black couldn’t have been ready to nab an new audience with the doctor as it’s lead in.. No worries. We’ll be there to see OB’s season 2 greatness. And I am actually looking forward to a new doctor.. And was pleased that the Day of the Doctor was so nostalgic..

Well done!

Comment by DarkDefender – November 25, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I thought I read somewhere that 77 million people watched around the world. Congrats to Doctor Who!

Comment by TVPeong – November 25, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Couple things, first off BBCA doesn’t get to broadcast Sky shows I believe, which limits them greatly. Also even with only 10.2 in the UK, they set world records being shown in over 94 countries in simulcast and over 77 million watched live.

Comment by Angelo – November 25, 2013 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is that BBC-1′s 5th largest audiance since 2005? or Who’s fifth largest?

Comment by Drewer – November 26, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This has been clarified.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 26, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post